Current state of the world game?

cyberman

Not being bitter but it seems the ability to keep the ball has fallen off a cliff amongst the top sides in Europe. Madrid won 4 out of 5 by counterattacking rivals mistakes in possession while Liverpool have done what they've done over the last 2 years by pressurising everyone in possession.
If Barca 10 were around now they could have had 4 CL out of 5. That one loss would be down to law of averages as well.
Utd 08 would be performing moonwalks over the opposition.

Bwuk

Games changed over the last few years. High press and direct football is what’s winning games nowadays.

The Barca side of the late 2000s/early 2010s would hammer every side nowadays. Teams can’t keep possession.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Liverpool managed to keep a good amount of possession vs City(more than any other team did vs City) in both games.

Their game today was clearly an isolated incident of their passing being so poor.
Today neither team was remotely at its best, that's true. But I think there's still quite a bit of room to combine high intensity football with "Dutch/Spanish" elements.

Paul_Scholes18

Regarding todays game (didn't watch all of it got too annoyed about Liverpool getting the win) then I think the fact that the last league game was 3 weeks away played a big part. Not having game for such a long time might make it harder to keep the form up.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Liverpool managed to keep a good amount of possession vs City(more than any other team did vs City) in both games.

Their game today was clearly an isolated incident of their passing being so poor.
I think that was a result of City ceding some of it, to provide some buffer against Liverpool's transition game.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Wow, talk about overreaction :lol:

Btw, i caught the cardiff final on tv two days ago, and it really wasn't much better than this. It was uncanny how juventus literally gave up 10 minutes into the second half. They went a good 30 minutes without stringing more than 3 consecutive passes together -literally, this is not hyperbole- and we weren't even doing anything special. We weren't pressing particularly well, we weren't really pushing the pace, hell we weren't even threatening. They just gave up on their own

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Football evolves. What we have now is at a higher level than what we had a decade ago. It might not be as pleasing to the eye at times, but it's sensational at others.

Seth.R

I do feel that it’s a shame that classic number 10 players are a dying breed.

Football seems to be played at a higher level of intensity as players seem to be fitter than ever before, and there is a huge emphasis on pressing - which means there’s no room to carry players who have genius and talent but won’t run their socks off.

There’s also much less willingness to take risks and play expressive football (unlike Ajax who were thoroughly enjoyable to watch). It seems to make games a lot more robotic now, and perhaps less enjoyable at times.

Having said that, games between teams like Liverpool and Spurs are often exhilarating due to the frantic pace and intensity they’re usually played at - both teams just lacked fitness today.

Reactions: Invictus

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Having said that, games between teams like Liverpool and Spurs are often exhilarating due to the frantic pace and intensity they’re usually played at - both teams just lacked fitness today.
Seriously. Last time a team looked genuinely great in a CL final was Bayern in 2013. And even then they only looked really great in the second half, when bvb started to tire(and bayern didn't. Their fitness levels were absurd). Neither us nor barcelona in 2015 played particularly well in the last 5 finals(and the same of course goes for our opponents)

SharpshooterTom

Football evolves. What we have now is at a higher level than what we had a decade ago. It might not be as pleasing to the eye at times, but it's sensational at others.
Well a decade ago was the Barca side that won all before them with 6 trophies.

So you're saying both those sides tonight would have easily dispatched that Barca and our 08/09 side?

Football tactics and systems change, but individual technical quality has remained constant throughout, certainly since the 80s/90s I find footballers technically gifted then as today.

Last edited:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It is like you guys have never seen a final before. They are usually cagey affairs. This was one of the most entertaining CL KO stages ever.

Tango80

It happens. You get the likes of tika taka dominating the leagues for a period, then the high press and direct play to counteract that. It won't be long before teams learn to play against the high press and the cycle starts over again.

Astounds me how so few teams play the high press though, with a good fitness coach it's not rocket science.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Well a decade ago was the Barca side that won all before them with 6 trophies.

So you're saying both those sides tonight would have easily dispatched that Barca and our 08/09 side?

Football tactics and systems change, but individual technical quality has remained constant throughout, certainly since the 80s/90s I find footballers technically gifted then as today.
Show me where I've said that in my post. Football, as a whole, has improved. Try looking beyond who is the best team in the world. You want to make stark comparisons, then look at the Europa League spots in the EPL between now and a decade ago and tell me quality has remained a constant.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Football is broken. Too commercialized, too many Oligarchs and Sheikhs creating an arms race of transfer fees, agents out of control, players obsessed with social media, club loyalty is fleeting, and to top it all off, FIFA are doing a winter WC which will disrupt the leagues. A fecking mess to say the least.
Agree with all of this post.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Some people have very high standards, don't they? I have seen very good football from Atletico, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax etc this decade. At times I see people's opinions and I wonder where they were when games were being played.

Last edited:

Treble

Football is thriving. The CL campaign was thrilling before the final. The PL title challenge was the best ever.

It's United who are broken. Because there is no balance between the business and the footballing matters at the club. Klopp declined the offer to take over United because he didn't like the state of the club. Turns out he was right.

Last edited:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I am absolutely dumbfounded at how many people seem to think that a final should be this all conquering game of football between two teams playing amazing football.

Unfortunately for us Liverpool and tottenham are two excellent sides.

AgentP

World cups have been very boring. But the CL this year has been one of the most entertaining in terms of goals, shock results and comebacks. I didn't watch the CL final but the majority of the knockout and group games were fun. Even in the league, we went through a period of two months without a draw. So I don't agree with the idea that football has become boring or robotic. There are still plenty of instances of individual brilliance on display.

Makelele

Too physical and intense for my taste. I'm sick of the word pace.
Because of the new tactics and the defensive helps the wingers have died, and it seems that every day it is less interesting to have an "Isco" in the team but midfielders with presence.
Football goes through seasons. High press is the thing today but soon teams will be built to counter it and then something new will come in. That’s how it goes.

But I personally would prefer this to the drab tiki taka Spain introduced. I think the nation that managed to balance it just right between pace, technique and tactics was the Italians.

Makelele

It is like you guys have never seen a final before. They are usually cagey affairs. This was one of the most entertaining CL KO stages ever.
But this wasn’t even cagey? It had a pre season feel. Bayern Chelsea was cagey but full of intensity and tenseness in the air. This match was seriously lacking in every department. I do wonder why. 3 weeks off seems like a bad excuse.

Hughie77

The more money you get or got, more you can win! And it won't be long before a Super league is formed. The end of Football then.
Franchised league , top owners will love it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
But this wasn’t even cagey? It had a pre season feel. Bayern Chelsea was cagey but full of intensity and tenseness in the air. This match was seriously lacking in every department. I do wonder why. 3 weeks off seems like a bad excuse.
Teams weren't fit, as is often the case(just look at the distance covered stat). Yes it was noticeably worse than the last few finals, but again, those weren't great games either in terms of quality of play. Part of the problem yesterday was the better team scored immediately and from there were content to sit back and defend their lead and wait for their chances behind one of the best defences in the world

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This years Champion's League had the most entertaining knock out stages in recent memory. Finals are almost always a bit shite due to the players being tired after a whole season of football and nerves playing a big part.

As for money ruining it. This isn't new, it has been this way since the 90s. At least these take overs have given us a few more power house clubs on the world stage.