Gaming Cyberpunk 2077 (PC, PS4/5, Xbox One)

Revan

Assumptionman
The point is that the game is not based around gunplay, it's merely one gameplay element. Battlefield, Call of Duty or Rainbow Six Siege are based around gunplay.

Deus Ex, for example, is an excellent FPS RPG (and clearly one of the inspirations here) and it's not built around gunplay and shooting at all. In fact, you could say that individually, all of its gameplay elements are quite mediocre. It's the choices, the flexibility of gameplay, the characters, the story that elevate that game, not its individual mechanics.

I think and hope it will be the same here. It certainly was the case with the Witcher 3: it had competent combat that wasn't going to win any awards; an "investigation" thing (the Witcher sense) that wasn't very exciting in itself; a card game where your starting deck quickly became insanely OP; horse riding and boxing which, again, were competently done but nothing more. It was the combination of all these, the available options, and of course the living breathing world and its characters that made the game the masterpiece it was.
WTF? Deus Ex has one of the best gameplays ever. The story and the characters are good but not to the level of some RPG games. The setting is amazing I grant you that. But the gameplay is where it shines so much. You can do every mission in so many different ways like kill everyone, hack the robots and make them kill everyone, sneak and finish the mission without shooting a bullet etc. Unless by gameplay you meant the shooting mechanics, but even there I disagree. It was not mediocre, it just was different, based more on skills you give to the character rather than the player’s skills (unlike Half Life for example, and like Mass Effect for example).

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Read that melee gameplay feels bad and lacks weight. The gameplay certainly looks that way which is a shame because I was looking forward to a build using things like the cyber katana and blade arms.

Siorac

WTF? Deus Ex has one of the best gameplays ever. The story and the characters are good but not to the level of some RPG games. The setting is amazing I grant you that. But the gameplay is where it shines so much. You can do every mission in so many different ways like kill everyone, hack the robots and make them kill everyone, sneak and finish the mission without shooting a bullet etc. Unless by gameplay you meant the shooting mechanics, but even there I disagree. It was not mediocre, it just was different, based more on skills you give to the character rather than the player’s skills (unlike Half Life for example, and like Mass Effect for example).
The stealth was wonky, the gunplay was weird, non-lethal weapons were very hard to use effectively, and there’s the swimming. Oh my god the swimming.

The game's strength was, as you say, that you had a huge amount of options to solve the problems it threw at you. It doesn't mean those mechanics, on their own, were anything amazing or groundbreaking. And I expect the same from Cyberpunk. Tons of options but less than revolutionary mechanics.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
It’s not. He’s joking with you.

It’s made from Bethseda and Todd Howard is the lead designer.
I heard Peter molyneux has promised everyone who's buys a copy, that they will get a character named after them in his next game.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
There’s so much hype around this but I’m not sure it will be as good. Hopefully I’m wrong though and the hype is justified. Graphically it looks stunning though.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
For bare minimum 1080 gaming. I’ll want the full fat ray traced 4K experience. I’ll wait until I get my hands on 3080 and then dig in with 4K rt ultra — undoubtedly with DLSS set to performance mode. That’s the only way I can see 3080 handling this game.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah I'm sure you'd be delighted if you were told to work 80 hour weeks for the next six weeks and you don't have any choice in the matter.

Bojan11

A month of paid overtime before the game launches. Big fecking deal.
How? They specifically said last year no more crunch.

Maybe should focus less on getting influencers in the game and treating their staff better.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The closer we get and the more information and gameplay footage we see, the less I’m convinced about how good this will be. The Witcher 3 was/is probably my favourite game in God knows how long. At this moment in time I’d be very surprised if Cyberpunk 2077 comes close.

b82REZ

What else is it?
Insane working hours and conditions. Many programmers are expected to do upwards of 100 hour weeks on top of any additional work they need to finish in their own time before release. While some devs may pay OT a lot expect this crunch to be part and parcel of being a game dev so they often are not remunerated for their time during crunch.

b82REZ

The closer we get and the more information and gameplay footage we see, the less I’m convinced about how good this will be. The Witcher 3 was/is probably my favourite game in God knows how long. At this moment in time I’d be very surprised if Cyberpunk 2077 comes close.
It's going to fall short for a lot of people because of the insane overhype the Witcher gets.

DWelbz19

It's going to fall short for a lot of people because of the insane overhype the Witcher gets.
I also think they’ve fallen under many avoidable pitfalls — social media cancellations (twice?); failing to meet deadlines (twice?); announcing multiplayer which will also have micro transactions, and now this latest piece of news about overworking their staff at the very end to avoid a third(?) deadline miss.

In general I think there’s a little bit of sourness in the air around the game at the minute. CDPR have gone from the gaming communities sweetheart to a bit of a public enemy.

Massive Spanner

I also think they’ve fallen under many avoidable pitfalls — social media cancellations (twice?); failing to meet deadlines (twice?); announcing multiplayer which will also have micro transactions, and now this latest piece of news about overworking their staff at the very end to avoid a third(?) deadline miss.

In general I think there’s a little bit of sourness in the air around the game at the minute. CDPR have gone from the gaming communities sweetheart to a bit of a public enemy.
Really? I don't think I've seen this level of hype for a video game since GTAV. 99% of people don't know or care about that stuff.

I'd have preferred another delay to them going into crunch when they said they wouldn't but.. video game companies gon' be video game companies.

DWelbz19

Really? I don't think I've seen this level of hype for a video game since GTAV. 99% of people don't know or care about that stuff.

I'd have preferred another delay to them going into crunch when they said they wouldn't but.. video game companies gon' be video game companies.
I’m probably giving too much credence to the vocal minority, tbf. Never a good idea.

Bosws87

Hope its great.

I've been suffering from a lot of genre fatigue and finding it difficult to play a lot of games atm, they are all the same just a different skin.

Zen86

If you're actually asking the question you obviously haven't bothered to figure out the difference.

There's a lot of fluff early on, skip forward to 4 minutes.
Interesting video, bit weird how it's kind of framed as something to laugh and joke about though. I work in the software industry and can definitely attest to the fact that these employers will take you for all you're worth. Long hours and stress/anxiety are commonplace in the industry. Though the conditions I've worked in seem mild in comparison to what they're describing in the gaming industry.

Massive Spanner

Interesting video, bit weird how it's kind of framed as something to laugh and joke about though. I work in the software industry and can definitely attest to the fact that these employers will take you for all you're worth. Long hours and stress/anxiety are commonplace in the industry. Though the conditions I've worked in seem mild in comparison to what they're describing in the gaming industry.
It's just the format of the show, basically the Netflix (and lesser) version of John Oliver - serious topic discussed with laughs in between. I don't think it downplayed how toxic the industry is, though?

b82REZ

I must have missed this sourness because everywhere I look I see nothing but praise for anything CDPR are associated with. That will probably be to detriment of this game as well.

Zen86

It's just the format of the show, basically the Netflix (and lesser) version of John Oliver - serious topic discussed with laughs in between. I don't think it downplayed how toxic the industry is, though?
It's probably more the fact that I'm unfamiliar with the show. I just found it bizarre that they're describing the industry's abuse of employees and the general misery it causes with a laugh track behind it :lol:

Edit: In fact now I've watched it through, I would definitely say it downplays these issues. The sexual harassment / sexism parts feel like a parody.

Last edited: