Dad

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
So sorry to hear that, may he RIP. Here's to a true red, and here's to all the memories that brought you closer to your dad.

I'd like to believe they have stretford end views up there, and that he'll be cheering on with you the next time one of our academy kids scores. :)

IrishMcD

As someone who never recovered after my own father lost his battle, and I’m now battling myself, I send you nothing but condolences, love and best wishes. Keep the good times close to your heart. So sorry for your loss

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That was a beautiful but sad read. I would love to know more about his memories of the club

Chumpsbechumps

Lovely tribute Phil, my sincere condolences.

I can relate to the football and father connection. My fondest memory with my dad was him taking me to old Trafford for my first time. Cantonas debut against city no less, but it’s always stayed with me.

My dad lived Gaelic sports and used to bring me to all the games. We used to discuss it alot, I even accidentally recorded one of our conversations on Dublins success only a few weeks before he died.

I remember going to the games after he died and it was difficult.

I was only saying to my son last night that it’s better to of loved and lost then to of never loved at all. I think my dad dieing was one of the most traumatic events of my life as I adored him and really relied on him. But I leaned into his death, allowed myself grieve. I didn’t try to push down my anxiety, sadness or anger, I let it breath when it needed to and as such I feel I dealt with his death in a healthy manner. The pain can come in waves, it was over whelming at times.

Best of luck to you and your family Phil

.Phil1968

Sorry for your loss Phil.

My dad (and granddad) were United fans and it gets passed down… nice to have those father/son memories. Love that ‘48 stuck with him (even after the huge successes we went on to) … something special about your team winning a trophy when you’re young?
Most definitely, for me it's the 1977 cup winning team , I can still rattle off the eleven who played that day

.Phil1968

Thank you all for your beautiful messages, it really means a lot. The thread I wrote about him was actually from 2012, incredible I thought it was only a few years ago. I titled it 1948 and all that, I don't want to bump it as it is so old
Once again thank you all.
Let's hope we can win for him tomorrow.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Sorry for your loss mate.

Lost my dad in October, a few days before Sir Bobby passed away. Would always talk with him about United too. I miss those chats.

He wasn't quite as old school as your dad as he didn't move to Manchester until the early 60's after he graduated university and that's when he really got into football, watching the likes of Law (his all time favourite), Best and Sir Bobby.

Hope you're doing alright, and that we get a good result for your dad tomorrow.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
May he rest in peace and condolences to your family. :(

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sounds like you had a wonderful time with United bonding you both in stories

may he RIP now

Lost my own mum to dementia, horrible thing . My condolences to you and your family

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Most definitely, for me it's the 1977 cup winning team , I can still rattle off the eleven who played that day
That 1977 cup team was huge for me, Martin Buchan was from Aberdeen where I was born so he was my favourite player in the team. Your thread has made me go look up the 1948 team. So your dad has had an impact on some random guy on the exact opposite side of the world. Cheers

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I wrote a piece a few years ago on here about my father and his memories of United. He was born in Hulme in 1935 , had a really hard upbringing and started watching United as a kid in the 40s going to Old Trafford one week and Maine Road the next when we were away. His favourite team was the 1948 side which won the Cup and he often named the full eleven who played.

He told me about The Babes and it was because of him that I became a Stretford Ender in the 70s and 80s . I can still see him now bent over his little transistor radio listening to a United game willing us to score.
He entered a home 6 months ago as his dementia got so bad but every time I visited him I'd tell him how we were doing. Lately it seems all I was saying was Hi Dad we lost again .

Up until last week I was showing him pictures of that 1948 cup winning team and he still could name the players.
Anyway he passed on yesterday morning , a true red and a decent man. It'll be funny watching us tomorrow without being able to tell him the score on Monday . Good night Dad.
Sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story. May your father rest in peace!

Demon Barber

I echo all the other heartfelt messages - sorry for your loss.

My dad also used to go to United one game, City the next, with a bit of Oldham thrown in. I feel your loss and hope that the messages on here give you some comfort.

honirelandboy

Sorry for your loss, A true United supporter. I'm happy that United were a big part of his life like a lot of us. Its the memories that keep us going.

Lost bear

Sorry for your loss.
A fascinating slice of social history and a great story.

Big Andy

Bloke
Ah man, sorry to hear that. My dad is 78 and still fit as a fiddle but stories like this really make me think about the time we have left. We pretty much talk United all the time and text throughout the games and now my kids are into it we have a family United group chat which is great.

again mate, sorry for your loss.

Moriarty

My sincere condolences. My dad took me to games when I was a kid in the early 1960s. He saw United win the European Cup in 1968 but he never lived to see them win another trophy. Cancer got him at the age of 56.

Marcus

My condolences on your loss Phil and thanks for sharing about your dad.

sirAlexsglasses

So sorry for your lloss, I too had the club passed to me in the se way, and now I pass that into my 9 year old son.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The connection with your Dad is lovely. What a post.

I’m going to make an extra effort to watch some matches with my old man this year now.

lex talionis

I’m so sorry for your loss. My dad grew up in Guadalajara, Mexico and didn’t have a penny to his name when he came to the US as a bracero during WWII 20 years later he adopted a baby whose birth mother left him in the hospital in Hollywood (where a lot of unplanned pregnancies happen) and took me to soccer practice day after day. The day we heard about Chicharito joining United we were both over the moon with pride that a futbolista from Guadalajara was now playing for the greatest football club on the planet. He’s gone now, no complaints as he made it to 94, but I have all those memories of watching United with him and my daughters watching United with me.

Maticmaker

Sorry for your loss Phil, I'm sure your dads up there watching, probably sat alongside Sir Bobby in the new arrivals suite. ;)

I stood with my father for many years at OT, he loved it every minute, kicked every ball and gave me 'earache' on the way home when we lost. Treasure your memories Phil as I did. We first started going to OT together in the mid 60's, before that he was in the scoreboard end (now West Stand) with his mates and me in the United Road Paddock or sometimes Stretford End, with mine. As he got older my mum insisted I accompanied him as he had very sore feet a product of WW2 service, and he found it increasingly hard to stand. It took me months to get him to go and queue for the unreserved seats, especially when we had to get there 2 hours early to join the queue.

I once worked out that because of work patterns etc. (both of us) we probably spent more time together inside OT than almost anywhere else... keep those memories Phil and may your Dad RIP.

Walters_19_MuFc

Brought a tear to my eye, this did.

Your dad sounds like an amazing person, and although he suffered with dementia, I'm sure he would he have appreciated the fact that you gave him weekly updates, despite it not always being good news.

Anyway, may he rest in peace, and lets hope we get a win for him today. <3