Daishawn Redan Signing Close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Manchester United are reportedly close to snapping up teenage Ajax sensation Daishawn Redan.

According to Squawka's Greg Stobart, the striker "turns 16 in January and is believed to have decided that he would like to join United," though he is reported to be on the radar of a number of elite European clubs, while the Dutch side want to keep him.

The youngster has made 23 appearances for the Netherlands at youth level—most recently for their under-17s—and has netted 18 goals.

Here's a look at the precocious talent.

The Red Devils were reportedly tipped off about Redan by former Ajax scout Henny De Regt, who now works in the English club's academy.

According to Stobart, the Manchester outfit have "been heavily scouting" in the Netherlands of late, recruiting Timothy Fosu-Mensah from Ajax two years ago and Tahith Chong from Feyenoord this summer.

If United are able to sign Redan it's likely to be at least a year or two before he makes an appearance in the first team, but it could be quite a coup.
Obligatory video:

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
That video really didn't do him many favours.
But I'm always on board for hot prospects. He already looks better than Janssen just from that video.

Loublaze

ATLien
That video really didn't do him many favours.
But I'm always on board for hot prospects. He already looks better than Janssen just from that video.
It showed he has pace and an eye for goal. Considering he's just about to turn 16 it looked pretty impressive. Would like to see more

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
It showed he has pace and an eye for goal. Considering he's just about to turn 16 it looked pretty impressive. Would like to see more
Everybody has pace when they're 16. That's pretty much everything alongside technique. The physical part is not a huge part of the game before they turn 18.

Loublaze

ATLien
Everybody has pace when they're 16. That's pretty much everything alongside technique. The physical part is not a huge part of the game before they turn 18.
Its not uniform pace though is it? He burned a few players there for speed and he seems to have good acceleration too from the short clips but need to see more

Member 104911

From seeing him in real life, he's definitely faster than most others

Member 104911

Since he now might be close to signing, here´s my scouting report I wrote on him earlier this year:

Daishawn Redan profile: Strengths, weaknesses and insight into Ajax youngster

Daishawn Redan. It looks like every big club in the world is scouting him, including Manchester United, but Redan is a name to remember.

Ajax’s U17s haven’t had the best of seasons but Redan is one of the brighter players. Redan came to Ajax in 2009/2010 as an eight-year-old and he scored 44 goals in his first season which he later repeated in the 2013/2014 season by once again scoring 44 times, this time for the U14s. Redan is now 15 but plays for Ajax’s U17s.

Redan is a real goal-getter who can also play as a left winger. Not only does he score a lot for Ajax but he has an amazing goalscoring record of ten goals in 12 matches for the Dutch youth teams.

Who is Daishawn Redan?

Born of 2 February 2001, Redan is a right-footed player who mostly operates as a striker but he can also do a good job out on the left wing. This kid can do it all. He’s a poacher who is very strong on the ball and he also has a very good natural dribble. He can hold up the play as a striker and also creates chances either for himself or for his team-mates in both positions. As well as that, Redan has a decent left foot which means he has got great versatility on the wing and can either cut inside to shoot or go out wide and fire in a cross.

Something that was introduced by the great Johan Cruijff, when he started “Plan Cruijff” at Ajax some years ago, was to teach every academy player both English and Spanish in order to make it a lot easier for Redan or any other player from Ajax to adapt to a new club. Through forward thinking, Ajax really do set up their youngsters in the best way possible.

Redan also has a very good mentality off the pitch. You’ll hear nothing but good words from the coaches at Ajax. He tracks back, fights hard even when his team isn’t playing well and has often been a saviour for the U17s by scoring a goal out of nowhere.

Strengths

Redan has excellent vision both in knowing where his team-mates are and when/where to make runs. He doesn’t need to look at the ball while dribbling and has a natural poachers instinct in front of goal. As I said earlier, Redan is very strong on the ball and create chances for himself and his team-mates regularly. Redan is also very quick and is good at getting away from his marker so because of that he can turn very quickly, helping make him very unpredictable and difficult to mark.

I would say that this season, he has found his level with the U17s but in my opinion if Man United did bring him in, he could be the striker for our U18s despite only being 15 because of his strength on the ball, his vision and his mentality of always working hard and wanting to improve – as well as, of course, being prolific in front of goal.

Points to improve

Redan is a very complete player in terms of his strengths but still has some points to improve and develop. I am not saying these points are necessarily bad but if he really wants to be one of the best in the world, these are the points he needs to work on. Due to his dribbling and pace, Redan can often get himself into situations where he can create chances for his team-mates but his final delivery isn’t always the best. That will of course improve with age as he’s got so much more to develop naturally.

Redan is not very tall but he could score even more goals if he improves his heading because he doesn’t always convert good heading opportunities. Also, Redan works very hard but sometimes tends to be a bit too harsh on his team-mates, this isn’t always a very bad thing but in my opinion he blames his team-mates a bit too often and this has been pointed this out by his coaches already, so the staff at Ajax have been working on this.

How good can he be?

His English skills would help him adapt so much quicker in England and the importance of that can’t be underestimated, especially for a youngster. Redan has a lot of talent and would be a very good recruitment by United if it happened. With Nicky Butt already having said that United are looking all over the world for talent, Redan is certainly one our scouts should be keeping an eye on.

Marcel Bout, our now head scout was at the Marveld Tournament in May watching Ajax and Zamani was not at that tournament because of injury.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Since he now might be close to signing, here´s my scouting report I wrote on him earlier this year:

Daishawn Redan profile: Strengths, weaknesses and insight into Ajax youngster

Daishawn Redan. It looks like every big club in the world is scouting him, including Manchester United, but Redan is a name to remember.

Ajax’s U17s haven’t had the best of seasons but Redan is one of the brighter players. Redan came to Ajax in 2009/2010 as an eight-year-old and he scored 44 goals in his first season which he later repeated in the 2013/2014 season by once again scoring 44 times, this time for the U14s. Redan is now 15 but plays for Ajax’s U17s.

Redan is a real goal-getter who can also play as a left winger. Not only does he score a lot for Ajax but he has an amazing goalscoring record of ten goals in 12 matches for the Dutch youth teams.

Who is Daishawn Redan?

Born of 2 February 2001, Redan is a right-footed player who mostly operates as a striker but he can also do a good job out on the left wing. This kid can do it all. He’s a poacher who is very strong on the ball and he also has a very good natural dribble. He can hold up the play as a striker and also creates chances either for himself or for his team-mates in both positions. As well as that, Redan has a decent left foot which means he has got great versatility on the wing and can either cut inside to shoot or go out wide and fire in a cross.

Something that was introduced by the great Johan Cruijff, when he started “Plan Cruijff” at Ajax some years ago, was to teach every academy player both English and Spanish in order to make it a lot easier for Redan or any other player from Ajax to adapt to a new club. Through forward thinking, Ajax really do set up their youngsters in the best way possible.

Redan also has a very good mentality off the pitch. You’ll hear nothing but good words from the coaches at Ajax. He tracks back, fights hard even when his team isn’t playing well and has often been a saviour for the U17s by scoring a goal out of nowhere.

Strengths

Redan has excellent vision both in knowing where his team-mates are and when/where to make runs. He doesn’t need to look at the ball while dribbling and has a natural poachers instinct in front of goal. As I said earlier, Redan is very strong on the ball and create chances for himself and his team-mates regularly. Redan is also very quick and is good at getting away from his marker so because of that he can turn very quickly, helping make him very unpredictable and difficult to mark.

I would say that this season, he has found his level with the U17s but in my opinion if Man United did bring him in, he could be the striker for our U18s despite only being 15 because of his strength on the ball, his vision and his mentality of always working hard and wanting to improve – as well as, of course, being prolific in front of goal.

Points to improve

Redan is a very complete player in terms of his strengths but still has some points to improve and develop. I am not saying these points are necessarily bad but if he really wants to be one of the best in the world, these are the points he needs to work on. Due to his dribbling and pace, Redan can often get himself into situations where he can create chances for his team-mates but his final delivery isn’t always the best. That will of course improve with age as he’s got so much more to develop naturally.

Redan is not very tall but he could score even more goals if he improves his heading because he doesn’t always convert good heading opportunities. Also, Redan works very hard but sometimes tends to be a bit too harsh on his team-mates, this isn’t always a very bad thing but in my opinion he blames his team-mates a bit too often and this has been pointed this out by his coaches already, so the staff at Ajax have been working on this.

How good can he be?

His English skills would help him adapt so much quicker in England and the importance of that can’t be underestimated, especially for a youngster. Redan has a lot of talent and would be a very good recruitment by United if it happened. With Nicky Butt already having said that United are looking all over the world for talent, Redan is certainly one our scouts should be keeping an eye on.

Marcel Bout, our now head scout was at the Marveld Tournament in May watching Ajax and Zamani was not at that tournament because of injury.
Great article, thanks for that. We really do have a depth of knowledge on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

jb8521

Redan scored all 4 goals as Ajax u17s beat Almere 4-1 this morning. United scout Henny DeRegt was at the match

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Just read that United are indeed following Ajax 13' year old star Naci Unuvar, by Henny de Regt, United scout. What an easy job, this Dutch guy just follows Ajax' academy, identifies the wonderkids (which I can do for you as well) and then starts pursueing them to join, even when they havent reached 16 yet. Cant complain to City if this is our new strategy for the academy.

redNATION

Just read that United are indeed following Ajax 13' year old star Naci Unuvar, by Henny de Regt, United scout. What an easy job, this Dutch guy just follows Ajax' academy, identifies the wonderkids (which I can do for you as well) and then starts pursueing them to join, even when they havent reached 16 yet. Cant complain to City if this is our new strategy for the academy.
TBF, it's been the strategy of every leading club for the last two decades. The critique of City is their disregard for local/British talent in favour of just raiding others' academies. Our academy of full of them, and they get a shot (see Lingard, Rashford etc.).

Leonard17

You have no clue, whatsoever. Shouldn't make statements like that about what you don't know.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
But wasn't de Regt the guy who brought him to Ajax in the first place?

Member 104911

But wasn't de Regt the guy who brought him to Ajax in the first place?
Yes he was, same with De Ligt who is getting a lot of game time in the first team whilst only being 17

jb8521

We were following the likes of Redan, Unuvar and Baars long before DeRegt became involved in our academy, he might be helping to get the deals done but the suggestions that he identified the players and tipped United off about them is just pure guess work from the press since they'll have been in our talent identification programme for years and will have been watched by multiple scouts.

khoazany

We were following the likes of Redan, Unuvar and Baars long before DeRegt became involved in our academy, he might be helping to get the deals done but the suggestions that he identified the players and tipped United off about them is just pure guess work from the press since they'll have been in our talent identification programme for years and will have been watched by multiple scouts.
Yeah we've played against Ajax on multiple occasions on various youth tournaments as young as U10s so even our youth players would know most of Ajax's outstanding talents. With someone like De Regt on board we would have more insights about the players though, why we should sign Redan instead of some wonderkid from Spain or Belgium, that kind of thing.

Sammyjunn

TBF, it's been the strategy of every leading club for the last two decades. The critique of City is their disregard for local/British talent in favour of just raiding others' academies. Our academy of full of them, and they get a shot (see Lingard, Rashford etc.).
It is, but its just very noticeable when you have been after 4 players of 1 foreign team in like 3 years, whilst those players are 16 or younger. (Fosu, in less matter.Baars, Redan, Unuvar and who not). The funny thing is that some United fans speak less of other clubs whilst we are doing the same.

Sammyjunn

Do you know the exact rules about poaching or starting to loach talents who are younger than 16 fom abroad? Are United allowed to talk with Redan now or start talks or whatsoever? Or Unuvar if that'd be in serious stages ( which I dont think it is, 13 would be far too young, probably just expressed interest).

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
It is, but its just very noticeable when you have been after 4 players of 1 foreign team in like 3 years, whilst those players are 16 or younger. (Fosu, in less matter.Baars, Redan, Unuvar and who not). The funny thing is that some United fans speak less of other clubs whilst we are doing the same.
How are we doing in this country as a whole with regards to the amount of time kids are being trained. I know it got reviewed a while back but are we still lagging behind everyone else ? I have a feeling that until we do get the same kind of parity then this is as effective a strategy as any.

jb8521

Do you know the exact rules about poaching or starting to loach talents who are younger than 16 fom abroad? Are United allowed to talk with Redan now or start talks or whatsoever? Or Unuvar if that'd be in serious stages ( which I dont think it is, 13 would be far too young, probably just expressed interest).
As far as I know the parents can be spoken to at any time. Normally in the year before they turn 16 they will agree a pre contract to sign in the summer after they turn 16 since the club they are leaving will still hold their registration until June. Players under 16 can't move unless the family moves to the country for reasons other than the kids football career but this is often gotten around by the new club hiring a parent as a coach which is what City did a few weeks ago to sign a 15 year old from Barcelona or if the kid has an older brother who is over 16 they can join a new club in the same country and the family can move over and the younger player would be allowed sign for a club in that country. Having said that I'm not sure how much substance there actually is in the Unuvar stories because it seems like it would be a bit blatant. Also in regards to Baars from what I've heard United didn't actually go after him so much as he had a falling out with Ajax and decided to leave and then United were made aware he was available.

Leonard17

Stop this weird tone, if you dont agree, fine but your post has no content, I dont really know what Im replying on.
Nothing weird about it at all, you're just being negative about something you don't have much knowledge about, which results in you just coming up with nothing short of conjecture.

Sammyjunn

How are we doing in this country as a whole with regards to the amount of time kids are being trained. I know it got reviewed a while back but are we still lagging behind everyone else ? I have a feeling that until we do get the same kind of parity then this is as effective a strategy as any.
Are you talking about England or the Netherlands? I know more about Ajax' academy, @jb8521 would probably have good insights about this anyway.

Sammyjunn

As far as I know the parents can be spoken to at any time. Normally in the year before they turn 16 they will agree a pre contract to sign in the summer after they turn 16 since the club they are leaving will still hold their registration until June. Players under 16 can't move unless the family moves to the country for reasons other than the kids football career but this is often gotten around by the new club hiring a parent as a coach which is what City did a few weeks ago to sign a 15 year old from Barcelona or if the kid has an older brother who is over 16 they can join a new club in the same country and the family can move over and the younger player would be allowed sign for a club in that country. Having said that I'm not sure how much substance there actually is in the Unuvar stories because it seems like it would be a bit blatant. Also in regards to Baars from what I've heard United didn't actually go after him so much as he had a falling out with Ajax and decided to leave and then United were made aware he was available.
Oh thanks! So far example Paul Fosu Mensah could join United as well even though he is still 15 (I think)?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Guess Unuvar should have his own thread, but anyhow here’s Ajax Showtime’s take on this (google tr):

Naci Unuvar won’t leave Ajax this winter or next summer. The thirteen year old midfielder of Ajax C1 was Sunday morning on English websites linked with a move to Manchester United, but there is nothing true.

Father Unuvar late Ajax Showtime do not know to be aware of concrete interest from United and also has son Naci there absolutely no ears. The creative playmaker has been in place at Ajax, feels good in C1 and feel the confidence from the club. He's only thirteen years old and is fully focused on his devel blade in Amsterdam. That was Manchester United also told in an informal conversation.

The English, who are linked to striker Daishawn Redan have running around full-time scouts in the future. The club brought in recent years, though Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Millen Baars away from Amsterdam, but that the search still seems far from over. Also on Hossein Zamani was already drawn even fanatical, but who chose as Unuvar now for a future at Ajax.

Member 104911

Guess Unuvar should have his own thread, but anyhow here’s Ajax Showtime’s take on this (google tr):

Naci Unuvar won’t leave Ajax this winter or next summer. The thirteen year old midfielder of Ajax C1 was Sunday morning on English websites linked with a move to Manchester United, but there is nothing true.

Father Unuvar late Ajax Showtime do not know to be aware of concrete interest from United and also has son Naci there absolutely no ears. The creative playmaker has been in place at Ajax, feels good in C1 and feel the confidence from the club. He's only thirteen years old and is fully focused on his devel blade in Amsterdam. That was Manchester United also told in an informal conversation.

The English, who are linked to striker Daishawn Redan have running around full-time scouts in the future. The club brought in recent years, though Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Millen Baars away from Amsterdam, but that the search still seems far from over. Also on Hossein Zamani was already drawn even fanatical, but who chose as Unuvar now for a future at Ajax.
The C1 is the U15s for those who didn't know. What's translated as the future is De Toekomst which is Ajax' academy.

jb8521

Oh thanks! So far example Paul Fosu Mensah could join United as well even though he is still 15 (I think)?
He could if he wasn't under contract with Ajax until the end of the season. For example Karim Rekik and Iker Pozos younger brothers joined City when they did and Pozos brother is still there

jb8521

The rules on it are here but they only have minimum hours of training per week. www.thefa.com/~/media/C2FB1444624F4367AA477A72D94B50BF.ashx
u9-u11 4 hours rising to 8 for older Academy Players
u12-u16: 10 hours rising to 12 for older Academy Players
u17-u21: 14 reducing to 12 for Academy Players who have commitments to the professional squad during the Professional Development Phase

Member 104911

30 minutes in and he's already gotten his hattrick on his U19 debut at Ajax vs KRC Genk

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Well, we wouldn't have signed him this window anyway since he's not even 16 yet so this doesn't say much.
Oh that makes sense! But if Ajax know he's leaving why would they want to advance him to the u19's?

Thanks for the info anyway.

spenzo

Oh that makes sense! But if Ajax know he's leaving why would they want to advance him to the u19's?

Thanks for the info anyway.
Makes sense as they're probably still hoping they can change his mind, especially considering nothing would have been signed with United officially yet.

Nero

Is he a genuine target or just paper talk?

Status
Not open for further replies.