View full 2014-15 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

mu77

His defending. He was a much better defender, in just about every way.
Maybe Blind will get there in that regard, but his lack of acceleration, pace, agility, reach is against him, even if he takes his reading of the game up a level.
carrick like in those areas , carrick passes better , blind tackles better.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
carrick like in those areas , carrick passes better , blind tackles better.
Carrick's turning isn't great, but still trumps Blind's.
Blind tackles better/more, but Carrick defends better.
Their passing abilities are miles apart.

Last edited:

mu77

blind is carrick's age when he arrived at united. carrick was hardly the player what he was two yrs ago. and who did blind partner with? yep not scholesy , who was the one who dictated the tempo. blind was surrounded by FNG's not a settled team. he'll be fine because he's smart. i would still get in another midf like fergie did with the broken down canadian only don't buy a broken down canadian.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
People still expecting Blind to be an identical replacement for Carrick.

Speak

again like we looked at carrick v keano. and still do.
But Carrick had his obvious qualities. Whether they were the same qualities as Keane's isn't important.
Blind doesn't actually have obvious qualities.

mu77

But Carrick had his obvious qualities. Whether they were the same qualities as Keane's isn't important.
Blind doesn't actually have obvious qualities.

lol - your opinion mean nothing to me after this statement.

Annahnomoss

It is possible that Carrick defends better in a team that sits deep where positioning is the primary attribute you need. But in a team that uses a pressing defense Carrick isn't very great at all while Blind is perfectly suited to it and at his best in such a system.

Speak

Are those qualities you associate with Makalele?
To a greater extent than Blind. Makelele was shorter, with a lower centre of gravity and was more agile. He had good reach and was athletic. You'd back him to get a toe to the ball before most of his opposition. While he wasn't quick, he wasn't slow. Blind is actually slow.

Even looking back at old videos of Makelele at his old clubs (albeit a tiny sample), he was showing agility with the ball, higher up the pitch.

mu77

It is possible that Carrick defends better in a team that sits deep where positioning is the primary attribute you need. But in a team that uses a pressing defense Carrick isn't very great at all while Blind is perfectly suited to it and at his best in such a system.
and doesn't he also have the same problem when pressured? to play the great passes carrick needs more time. when other teams press us carrick is not at his best.

Annahnomoss

and doesn't he also have the same problem when pressured? to play the great passes carrick needs more time. when other teams press us carrick is not at his best.
He does indeed. But I have a hard time holding it against Carrick considering that Blind hasn't really been tested against the teams who deploy pressing tactics to the greatest levels. Against Chelsea Oscar was put on a man marking role against Blind and LVG/Blind managed to turn that in to a tactical advantage for us by having Blind pulling Oscar around as we wanted to.

I'd say they still took Blind out of the game a fair bit, it is just that he doesn't carry as much weight on his shoulders for our offensive game as Carrick. Carrick would probably also be able to repeat that type of intelligent and unselfish performance though.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
What are they? I'd love to know.
Reads the game defensively well - he makes up for his physical traits by being at the right place at the right time to intercept a ball. He's also a great midfielder in a possesion based team since he can put high pressure on opponents - once the whole team does this we'll dominate even more possesion. That's exactly what van Gaal wants and I don't think Carrick is as good as Blind at this.

He's been an outlet for a defence who's struggled to adapt to van Gaal. He's always available for a pass and keeps the game ticking.

Tidy technique, his short passing is excellent. He can certainly give long passes but he didn't do it as often in his first season here, likewise at Ajax. He definately has potential to be a deep lying playmaker though since he has a great pass in him.

Versatile, he can play leftback and 6 well. He can do a job at box-to-box and centreback, but those will never be his position.

Speak

This is fair enough. I don't agree totally. I think Carrick looked fine there this season, and his positioning was still an asset.
And I don't think Blind's perfectly suited to it (especially as the last line ahead of the centre backs).

Annahnomoss

This is fair enough. I don't agree totally. I think Carrick looked fine there this season, and his positioning was still an asset.
And I don't think Blind's perfectly suited to it (especially as the last line ahead of the centre backs).
I think the bigger issue is that we play one of our central midfielders inside the opponents box. So when we lose the ball we're not playing Blind behind two central midfielders but rather Blind as a defensive midfielder with only Herrera to help him out. Herrera himself also likes pushing forward so very often we have Blind more or less alone as a central midfielder while Herrera works his magic with Mata and Fellaini is inside the box.

Ideally when Blind starts the press, the other two central midfielders covers the inevitable runs from the opponents to cut off the passing options.

Blind has done his job of aggressively intercepting to initiate pressure really well and he had the most interceptions on the opponents half I believe in the top leagues which shows that.

The problem is that there is no way Fellaini will track his man on the counter in case the initial pressure isn't working. The central midfield hasn't been working too great, that is a fact. But I would like to see Blind playing with a defensively better central midfield before making a call on if he can do it at the desired level or not.

I do agree that it has been pretty ugly at times seeing Blind aggressively trying to intercept a ball when Fellaini is inside the box and Herrera is close to it or out wide right. When it doesn't work it means there is going to be a good chance for the opponents and trying to play passively is probably a better idea. But like I said, the problem doesn't start there as hardly any defensive midfielder would look great when they are as exposed as ours has been due to that midfield composition.

Busquets looked terrible in the same situation for Barcelona earlier this season when their team wasn't clicking too well.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Left back for next season then with secondary options to cover midfield spots?

Kaos

Considering Darmian can play both flanks and Rojo was excellent at LB in the Copa, I wouldn't say that backup LB role is guaranteed.

Though knowing our injury fetish, he should still get plenty of minutes in both midfield and defense.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Having someone like Blind as a 3rd option at the CM position and a 2nd at the LB position shows intent.

Bojan11

He's our utility player.

Do not think he's a great cdm at this present time because he runs off too forward and leaves our CBs exposed.

Donut

He's just about not good enough to start for us, but with his versatility he's an excellent utility player.

Hopefully he stays for a few years before he gets tired of it.

Ixion

He can play three positions (positions we had plenty of injuries in last year) so he'll get lots of games. I imagine even if Shaw is fit we wouldn't play him every week anyway because of his age and risk of overplaying him so Blind will probably start half our games as LB.

Glanville95

Can see LvG showing favouritism towards him at the start of the season and starting him ahead of Shaw at left back. Occasionally playing at #6, but even with Carrick and Schweinsteigers injury issues, as well as squad rotation, I still can't see him featuring there heavily.

settembrini

Think a lot of people will be surprised by how often we play him in midfield next season. He was good their last season and with a proper pre-season at the club and a year in the league under his belt I hope he can step up another level.

darioterios

Think a lot of people will be surprised by how often we play him in midfield next season. He was good their last season and with a proper pre-season at the club and a year in the league under his belt I hope he can step up another level.
level of Carrick, Schweinsteiger? hardly, so unless they are injured/used differently, no

kundalini

That seems likely. I got the impression that LVG rates him and perhaps more importantly, considers him to be someone who understands the philosophy, so I suspect he'll find a way to include him in the starting 11 a lot of the time. I wouldn't be surprised if Blind gets about 25 PL starts in various positions while Shaw gets a similar number of PL starts to his 15 in 2014/5.

Last edited:

Drainy

When we play 3-5-2 (which we inevitably will at some point) Blind will probably be the first choice LWB.

Memphis (or whoever we sign) Rooney
Blind Schweinsteiger Schneiderlin Herrera Darmian
Rojo (or whoever we sign) Carrick Smalling
GK

He will mostly be back up next season though if we play 4-3-3, but will get quite a few appearances in midfield, I reckon

settembrini

level of Carrick, Schweinsteiger? hardly, so unless they are injured/used differently, no
I hope he can become a similar player to what Carrick has been for us over the years. Last season he was good, our fifth best player according to the match day ratings. That was with a new team, in a new league, with no pre-season with us, after a long world cup, and where he had to cover left back on numerous occasions. It seems to me he has every chance of going up a level this season.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Think he will start as first choice left back next season. I think LVG will ease Shaw in as the season progresses.

Ixion

After the transfer window closed last year no one would have predicted Fellaini would play as many games as he did and be as important as he was so I think anyone writing Blind off (who had a very good debut season) because of the new signings is being a bit premature.

darioterios

I hope he can become a similar player to what Carrick has been for us over the years. Last season he was good, our fifth best player according to the match day ratings. That was with a new team, in a new league, with no pre-season with us, after a long world cup, and where he had to cover left back on numerous occasions. It seems to me he has every chance of going up a level this season.
Carrick is only behind Keane and Scholes in terms of contribution for PL era United in central midfield. if he can pull off that will be amazing, but that is really not an easy ride at all

I think we will see a lot more of him in CM than some people expect this season. He will be part of the defensively minded group of midfielders containing Schweinsteiger, Carrick and him (and maybe Schneiderlin). We will want two of the group on the pitch in most games, and the other two are not going to playing every game for us.

Annahnomoss

Unless we sign someone else his chances to play are great. Alonso and Schweinsteiger wasn't working out great for Bayern so it won't be a surprise if Carrick and Schweinsteiger has the same issues. I think it depends less on Blind and more on exactly who takes their chances and works well next to Schweinsteiger out of Mata, Herrera, Carrick and Di Maria.

If the third midfielder is Mata or Di Maria I can see Blind in the double pivot next to Schweinsteiger. Ideally of course Carrick and Schweinsteiger plays there and form a great pairing but it seems more of a dream than realistic, at least for the biggest games. I can only see them either being incredible together with the passing range they have, or not a good enough fit.

MAME DIOUF 32

Last season I liked that he found a way to use his own attributes to be effective at left back rather than trying to play the same way as Shaw, which he would've failed at. He's an intelligent player. Hopefully he learns something from Carrick and Schweinsteiger and can improve in midfield.

settembrini

Carrick is only behind Keane and Scholes in terms of contribution for PL era United in central midfield. if he can pull off that will be amazing, but that is really not an easy ride at all
For sure those are high expectations, maybe I am overestimating him. He did tail off towards the end of last season but I put that down to fatigue. He had a big season with Ajax when he won Dutch footballer of the year, then a long WC (few players played more minutes than him) and then he was stepping up to a more physically demanding league and playing his first ever season without a winter break. That's a tough two years.

Unless we sign someone else his chances to play are great. Alonso and Schweinsteiger wasn't working out great for Bayern so it won't be a surprise if Carrick and Schweinsteiger has the same issues. I think it depends less on Blind and more on exactly who takes their chances and works well next to Schweinsteiger out of Mata, Herrera, Carrick and Di Maria.

If the third midfielder is Mata or Di Maria I can see Blind in the double pivot next to Schweinsteiger. Ideally of course Carrick and Schweinsteiger plays there and form a great pairing but it seems more of a dream than realistic, at least for the biggest games. I can only see them either being incredible together with the passing range they have, or not a good enough fit.
I don't see Schweinsteiger and Carrick playing as a partnership much next season. They are similar players nowadays as well as being our oldest midfielders and the most injury prone. I agree with you that it would basically be like trying to replicate the Alonso and Schweinsteiger partnership which didn't click at Bayern.

At the moment it's really hard to tell what Van Gaal has planned but imo a double pivot midfield seems the most likely and Blind would surely get his share of games alongside one of Carrick/Schweinsteiger. I thought it was very telling when Van Gaal announced he wanted a midfielder that he specifically stated he wanted a right sided one. That sounded to me like he wanted someone who could compliment Blind, not replace him.