Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
The stats are facts, I think you're basing something on your own fantasy, perception, which would make it unreliable. It's just like saying I dont think Neymar is a goalthreat, even though he's scored 38 this season.
So according to the stats Blind has more 'key passes' than Carrick...but I know for certain that Carrick is a better and more adventurous passer of the ball.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Statistics show that he actually passes forwards quite a lot and he has more assists and key passes than Carrick, Stats arent 100% exact but it seems you're quite wrong.

And Blind not even good enough at 2nd CVM, name a team in the BPL who'se 2nd DM was better than Blind this season, you"re going a bit over the top. Besides that, Blind has actually been better than Shaw at LB, who has had like 3 matches where he actually contributed something offensively
A few of us went through this earlier. Blind's default pass is the simple pass. Often when passing forward, it's to somebody dropping towards him, or unmarked. Carrick's passing goes into the more dangerous areas. He has the pass through the lines (often to Rooney) in his locker, that Blind simply can't/doesn't do. Carrick's default pass is forward. Just watching Carrick as he receives the ball - he's looking forward, and the sideways/backwards pass is a last resort. The simple pass is Blind's default.

His one/two-touch is zippy, whereas Blind's one-touch is largely non-existent, and his two-touch is slow. Carrick has the ability to increase the tempo, whereas Blind doesn't.
He makes more passes, period. But Carrick's passes do more. One Carrick pass will often do more than two Blind passes.

There are also stats. (tackles made, interceptions etc.) to suggest that Blind defends better, which is completely untrue.

There is no way on earth that Michael Carrick uses the ball like this, given the same amount of ball-time and space:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
So according to the stats Blind has more 'key passes' than Carrick...but I know for certain that Carrick is a better and more adventurous passer of the ball.
Blind is the best crosser in the team and he's provided some excellent passes from the left. Carrick is a better passer but he's rarely in the position to make great through balls in the current system.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
A few of us went through this earlier. Blind's default pass is the simple pass. Often when passing forward, it's to somebody dropping towards him, or unmarked. Carrick's passing goes into the more dangerous areas. He has the pass through the lines (often to Rooney) in his locker, that Blind simply can't/doesn't do. Carrick's default pass is forward. Just watching Carrick as he receives the ball - the sideways/backwards pass is a last resort. The simple pass is Blind's default.

His one/two-touch is zippy, whereas Blind's one-touch is largely non-existent, and his two-touch is slow. Carrick has the ability to increase the tempo, whereas Blind doesn't.
He makes more passes, period. But Carrick's passes do more. One Carrick pass will often do more than two Blind passes.

There are also stats. (tackles made, interceptions etc.) to suggest that Blind defends better, which is completely untrue.
Dont agree, I dont think Carrick is actually that much better on the ball technically. Blind though can control the ball quick, and pass it fast.

Carrick is another type of defender, but for the system we play in, Blind is a more pro active defender, who presses more. While Carrick shields the space more and blocks spaces where the ball could be passed.

Remember, Im not saying Blind is of Carrick's level, but you act like he's been Cleverley all season.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Blind is the best crosser in the team and he's provided some excellent passes from the left. Carrick is a better passer but he's rarely in the position to make great through balls in the current system.
Yes I think he is a good Left back and appreciate his crossing. It's his passing as a DM that I find very sideways

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Not saying it isnt, but you and speak act as if all Blind does is pass to Shaw,Valencia, and De Gea, which isnt true at all.
Blind will look for the sideways pass more often compared to someone like Carrick. Honestly Carrick is leagues ahead of Blind and I've seen very little to suggest that he will be able to adequately replace him despite what the stats say

Edit - I think @Speak has explained my point better than I have so far

Speak

Dont agree, I dont think Carrick is actually that much better on the ball technically. Blind though can control the ball quick, and pass it fast.

Carrick is another type of defender, but for the system we play in, Blind is a more pro active defender, who presses more. While Carrick shields the space more and blocks spaces where the ball could be passed.

Remember, Im not saying Blind is of Carrick's level, but you act like he's been Cleverley all season.
Blind is good at controlling the ball and passing it short. Very consistent with it. No doubt about that. He's also got a good long ball over the top, and a good cross on him. His connection with the ball is consistently clean. However, he largely does this controlling and passing in (and into) safe areas. That's not the true measure of a player's technique.

Carrick can control the ball in tighter areas (how many times have we seen Carrick control on his chest and volley/half-volley it off) he turns better on the ball, he dribbles better out of danger, his one-touch is better, his two-touch is faster, he has the trademark pass through the lines.
Carrick does it in (and into) dangerous and congested areas. It's not comparable.

Carrick doesn't need to position himself in certain areas in order to receive the ball. People give him all sorts of dodgy passes, and he controls it. Blind has to find himself more space in order to control the ball, because he isn't able to turn on the ball well, and doesn't have the quick feet for one-touch. I completely disagree that Blind passes it quickly. He has his moments, but his passing is mostly very one-paced.

Sammyjunn

Blind will look for the sideways pass more often compared to someone like Carrick. Honestly Carrick is leagues ahead of Blind and I've seen very little to suggest that he will be able to adequately replace him despite what the stats say
Not true, maybe Blind passes sideways more but he doesnt look to do it more, Carrick is the better passer and can execute the most difficult of passes better. But everytime Blind gets the ball he looks forward, and he keeps the ball a bit too look if he can pass forwards, if he cant, yes he passes sideways. But with our lack of dynamism this season, thats happened more than we'd like. I remember this season having an arguement with someone, and 70% percent of Blind's passes were forward at that point of the season, so to act as if Blind just passes to Shaw, and Valencia, and Smalling is just untrue imo. Its fine if you think Carrick is better, cause he is, but those statements are just untrue imo.

Sammyjunn

Blind is good at controlling the ball and passing it short. Very consistent with it. No doubt about that. He's also got a good long ball over the top, and a good cross on him. His connection with the ball is consistently clean. However, he largely does this controlling and passing in (and into) safe areas. That's not the true measure of a player's technique.

Carrick can control the ball in tighter areas (how many times have we seen Carrick control on his chest and volley/half-volley it off) he turns better on the ball, he dribbles better out of danger, his one-touch is better, his two-touch is faster, he has the trademark pass through the lines.
Carrick does it in (and into) dangerous and congested areas. It's not comparable.

Carrick doesn't need to position himself in certain areas in order to receive the ball. People give him all sorts of dodgy passes, and he controls it. Blind has to find himself more space in order to control the ball, because he isn't able to turn on the ball well, and doesn't have the quick feet for one-touch.
I completely disagree that Blind passes it quickly. He has his moments, but his passing is mostly very one-paced.
I agree with your second part that Carrick does that better, but I dont agree if you say that Blind is non-existent in those area's, and further more. Blind primary plays really in front of the CBS's, picking the ball from there when we're in possession, helping defenders to distribute the ball, I think Carrick plays a bit more forwards and one of his more primary attacks is to also set up our attacks, as he has a better range of passing. It's slightly different roles. Blind also plays this role at Netherlands, whereas Clasie is more higher on the pitch, setting attacks up more.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Not true, maybe Blind passes sideways more but he doesnt look to do it more, Carrick is the better passer and can execute the most difficult of passes better. But everytime Blind gets the ball he looks forward, and he keeps the ball a bit too look if he can pass forwards, if he cant, yes he passes sideways. But with our lack of dynamism this season, thats happened more than we'd like. I remember this season having an arguement with someone, and 70% percent of Blind's passes were forward at that point of the season, so to act as if Blind just passes to Shaw, and Valencia, and Smalling is just untrue imo. Its fine if you think Carrick is better, cause he is, but those statements are just untrue imo.
Well I'm not sure it matters if he doesn't look to do it more because in the end he ends up passing it sideways. I think Carrick is better defensively and offensively compared to Blind as a DM. So if he ends up being the Carrick replacement it will be a step backwards for our first team

You are right about Blind being more proactive and being a better presser but I feel he does it at the wrong time sometimes. Carrick seems to be much more aware about how the game is going and what to do next to control the game

Speak

I agree with your second part that Carrick does that better, but I dont agree if you say that Blind is non-existent in those area's, and further more. Blind primary plays really in front of the CBS's, picking the ball from there when we're in possession, helping defenders to distribute the ball, I think Carrick plays a bit more forwards and one of his more primary attacks is to also set up our attacks, as he has a better range of passing. It's slightly different roles. Blind also plays this role at Netherlands, whereas Clasie is more higher on the pitch, setting attacks up more.
The issue with this is that he rarely ever has an effect on the tempo. Not only does he never increase the tempo with his passing, but he sometimes slows it down, because he stations himself deep, has the ball rolled to him, takes a touch and then plays a pass to somebody who's barely more advanced than him.

You'll get situations where the main ball-player is requiring players dropping towards him too much, and this just slows things down again. Not giving the ball away is an achievement (of sorts) but that can't be where it ends. I don't think it's something Blind can just pick up, either. It's not something that Carrick just picked up (there's a video of him playing for Tottenham up there, pretty much playing the same way he does now).

It's not about being like Carrick, because Carrick isn't the be-all and end-all of midfielders. But it's a common skill that deep midfielders have/have had. Carrick is just a good reference for where Blind is lacking for this role.

That video above (versus West Brom) shows loads of 'forward' passes, but very few passes that get the team going, or pass the midfield lines. Most of those passes are the exact same pace, and go to one of the defenders or a midfielder dropping towards him.

Sammyjunn

Well I'm not sure it matters if he doesn't look to do it more because in the end he ends up passing it sideways. I think Carrick is better defensively and offensively compared to Blind as a DM. So if he ends up being the Carrick replacement it will be a step backwards for our first team

You are right about Blind being more proactive and being a better presser but I feel he does it at the wrong time sometimes. Carrick seems to be much more aware about how the game is going and what to do next to control the game
Well but dont forget, this is his first season in the PL, a league at much higher pace, in a struggling side and after a long season and world cup, it was primary the 2nd half of the season where he's been below par imo, but I thought he was quite good in the 1st half, I think its silly to write him off after this already.

The proactive pressing is something that the whole team should do in order for it to be fully succesfull, look at Barcelona or Bayern, everybody presses, from Boateng to Lewa and from Mascherano to Suarez, at times we've done it to, and it has been brilliant. Blind has been doing this at Ajax and Holland very good (German national players even spoke about this), here at United. At times he's the only one doing it, and ofcourse he'll get caught out sometimes yeah.. but it's worked often too, that's why he has so many interceptions, blocks and clearances. It something which should improve in time, as its something that LVG usually implements in his team. If we had Strootman for example, we'd see it more.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Struggling out there a little now.

Tired legs + Slow Player + Yedlin = Tied in knots.

Sammyjunn

The issue with this is that he rarely ever has an effect on the tempo. Not only does he never increase the tempo with his passing, but he sometimes slows it down, because he stations himself deep, has the ball rolled to him, takes a touch and then plays a pass to somebody who's barely more advanced than him.

You'll get situations where the main ball-player is requiring players dropping towards him too much, and this just slows things down again. Not giving the ball away is an achievement (of sorts) but that can't be where it ends. I don't think it's something Blind can just pick up, either. It's not something that Carrick just picked up (there's a video of him playing for Tottenham up there, pretty much playing the same way he does now).

It's not about being like Carrick, because Carrick isn't the be-all and end-all of midfielders. But it's a common skill that deep midfielders have/have had. Carrick is just a good reference for where Blind is lacking for this role.

That video above (versus West Brom) shows loads of 'forward' passes, but very few passes that get the team going, or pass the midfield lines. Most of those passes are the exact same pace, and go to one of the defenders or a midfielder dropping towards him.
I think its primary the 2nd part of the season that he faced this problem, but especially in the start, I have seen him influencing our tempo with passing forwards, dribbles forwards, passes to the side. Especially in the later part of the season, he's been more of a third CB, than a #6 as Carrick is. But I even wouldnt be surprised if this is what LVG wants him to do, Blind spoke recently that LVG wants him to be tidy in possession, distribute the ball and wait for openings, furthermore he's more of a helper of our defence in possession than Carrick is.

He's 25 and its his first season in a new, far thougher league, he started good (people even opting for him as one of our best outfield players), ended far less, looked fatigued, but all in all, I think its a bit silly to completely write him off, and not even want him as a 2nd DM. Especially him, as I've seen him go from barely good enough for Groningen to being arguably one of the best LB's at the WC, he surprises quite a lot.

Speak

I think its primary the 2nd part of the season that he faced this problem, but especially in the start, I have seen him influencing our tempo with passing forwards, dribbles forwards, passes to the side. Especially in the later part of the season, he's been more of a third CB, than a #6 as Carrick is. But I even wouldnt be surprised if this is what LVG wants him to do, Blind spoke recently that LVG wants him to be tidy in possession, distribute the ball and wait for openings, furthermore he's more of a helper of our defence in possession than Carrick is.

He's 25 and its his first season in a new, far thougher league, he started good (people even opting for him as one of our best outfield players), ended far less, looked fatigued, but all in all, I think its a bit silly to completely write him off, and not even want him as a 2nd DM. Especially him, as I've seen him go from barely good enough for Groningen to being arguably one of the best LB's at the WC, he surprises quite a lot.
He'll be better next season, I don't doubt that. I just don't see the actual footballing skills required to do the role really well.
I struggle to think of a deep midfielder who didn't demonstrate these skills by 25, but maybe he'd be the first.

Godfather

He might be one of the slowest players I have ever witnessed. No way in hell is he a leftback. Don't even want to see him as a back-up in that position for us. He is a decent midfielder. That's about it.

Sammyjunn

He might be one of the slowest players I have ever witnessed. No way in hell is he a leftback. Don't even want to see him as a back-up in that position for us. He is a decent midfielder. That's about it.
Missed him vs Liverpool and Tottenham for example I suppose? Or at the WC, I really get tired of these statements..he's generally been good for us as LB, one poor match atmittedly, and he shouldnt be backup.

Sammyjunn

He'll be better next season, I don't doubt that. I just don't see the actual footballing skills required to do the role really well.
I struggle to think of a deep midfielder who didn't demonstrate these skills by 25, but maybe he'd be the first.
I also said Im not sure he'll can replace Carrick one day in this thread a few times, but he has the basic imo, and he compensates a lot with his intelligence. If he further adapts to the league, I think then the judgement should be make if he has what it takes too replace Carrick eventually.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Stupid post. He might not be a great left back, but he's shown (especially in big games vs Spurs and Liverpool) that he can capably fill in.

Speak

I also said Im not sure he'll can replace Carrick one day in this thread a few times, but he has the basic imo, and he compensates a lot with his intelligence. If he further adapts to the league, I think then the judgement should be make if he has what it takes too replace Carrick eventually.
His best bet is to focus hugely on improving his defensive game. As in, huge improvements.
An Alonso-Mascherano type combination, where he's the Mascherano. Passing with purpose just isn't his game, so he'd need somebody next to him doing the passing.

Again, I struggle to think of a top defensive-midfield-destroyer who didn't show the skills by 25, but maybe he'll be the first.

Sammyjunn

His best bet is to focus hugely on improve his defensive game. As in, huge improvements.
An Alonso-Mascherano type combination, where he's the Mascherano. Passing with purpose just isn't his game, so he'd need somebody next to him doing the passing.

Again, I struggle to think of a top defensive-midfield-destroyer who didn't show the skills by 25, but maybe he'll be the first.
Imo rather not, I think with LVG further putting the team to his hands, Blinds style of defending would rather flourish. His style of defending, is something that suits the possession based teams when it's been done collectively.

My major improvememt for him is to be more decisive in his game, increase his passing game and read better when to go forward and when not to. We'll see, if he goes on like he did 2nd part of the season, LVG will buy a new DM, but I think he showed some real potential in the first half of the season. And he'll never be a destroyer, he doesnt have the physique for it.

Stadjer

Yeah, he was crap. No doubt his critics will read far too much into one crap performance. S'all in the caf, yo.
To be fair. I dont think he should start for United, he is a usefull rotation player but Shaw and Carrick/ new player should be ahead of him in the picking order.

For our national team he could become a starter or even our captain in the future. Jetro Willems was a sensation a LB in the Eredivisie this season and also van Aanholt (Sunderland) is an option to play at LB. In midfield his main competitor is Clasie who isnt that good.

Speak

Imo rather not, I think with LVG further putting the team to his hands, Blinds style of defending would rather flourish. His style of defending, is something that suits the possession based teams when it's been done collectively.

My major improvememt for him is to be more decisive in his game, increase his passing game and read better when to go forward and when not to. We'll see, if he goes on like he did 2nd part of the season, LVG will buy a new DM, but I think he showed some real potential in the first half of the season. And he'll never be a destroyer, he doesnt have the physique for it.
Yeah, I don't mean Mascherano's style of defending, but his level. If he becomes that good defensively, and has an Alonso next to him, he can pass simple as much as he wants. If he gets to that level, but does it with pressing, then that's great.

His passing just isn't going to improve significantly any more, so he's not going to become a dictator at any point.
To actually be great in this role, he's needs to either do a truly cracking defensive job or set the tempo with his passing. Right now he doesn't show the skills required for either job, but I'd say the defensive side is his best bet.

Sammyjunn

Yeah, I don't mean Mascherano's style of defending, but his level. If he becomes that good defensively, and has an Alonso next to him, he can pass simple as much as he wants. If he gets to that level, but does it with pressing, then that's great.
Oh okay, well lets hope. I doubt it, cause Mascherano is so good defensively that he even makes a top class CB. I dont think an Alonso type of player would ever play next to him, more a pressing box to bix with much physique and dynamism like Strootman, or Marchisio.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
His passing just isn't going to improve significantly any more, so he's not going to become a dictator at any point.
To actually be great in this role, he's needs to either do a truly cracking defensive job or set the tempo with his passing. Right now he doesn't show the skills required for either job, but I'd say the defensive side is his best bet.
I don't think most of us even expect him to be a dictator from midfield. This "dictator from midfield" issue has only arisen because we don't really have a chance creator through the middle whenever Fellaini has played as well as a midfielder with a good passing range.

Blind's passing range isn't that great, and I don't expect it to be as he's not a dictator for me. However, what he is is a defensive midfielder with great intelligence who can be an outlet for the other players to start off attacks and make spaces for the dictators/creators. In the first half of the season, everyone, not just those in here who admired Blind, talked about Blind being key to our possession play and attacks and how teams had to focus on closing him down to stop our attacks. He wasn't like Cleverley, Makelele, or Mascherano in that he'd not seek the ball and would quickly release it to the closest teammate. In a pass-and-move, fluid setup, Blind is very good and can also become a key player. Defensively, he's excellent and showed that he can screen the defence with his intelligence, positioning, and reading of the game. Offensively, he can up our tempo by moving forward with the ball or supplying the more creative players with quick passes. Again, he's not some schmuck footballer who runs around like a headless chicken.

His problems arise when there's no one else in the team with a good passing range or when he gets tired. We've seen it all too often that he's very easy to get past when he gets tired, and his involvement goes down to zero when he's tired. I just hope that he can adjust to the league's physical standards and not get tired to quickly as he's done in the second half of the season. Also, to make him our main dictator in midfield will cause us to be slow and sluggish in midfield as we've seen this season as he doesn't have the passing range or vision in midfield for such a responsibility. He's often been at his best alongside midfielders who seek to create chances and/or have a good passing range.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Has to be said, he got feck all help from Depay. Something the MUTV pundits made a big deal about. Would be a bit worried about playing them on the same wing together against really quality opposition.
Criticism at Depay for not tracking back (enough) is quite harsh, but I guess they had to say something. I think at one point I even saw Memphis make a very nice defensive sliding near Holland's penalty area. And he was already the most dangerous attacking player, everything nice went via him in the first half and he looked very lively. I think it's a bit much to expect him to track back like a maniac too in that case. Especially considering it was literally the hottest day of the year and the whole team looked knackered after 60 minutes.

Blind wasn't playing a blinder, he was particularly weak at defending today and LCB BMI was dreadful, I'd say that was the reason Holland's left side looked vulnerable. Not because Memphis was so weak at tracking back.

m1y2

Stupid post. He might not be a great left back, but he's shown (especially in big games vs Spurs and Liverpool) that he can capably fill in.
I actually agree with him, he's either back-up LB or back-up CM for us but never a starter. He's intelligent and have a good cross in him but he really struggles with speed, that's why Young was there to help him with that. He had good games you mentioned but it was games we completely dominated, the opponents hardly have a chance to test him and I remember at least two situations when he was over sprinted with ease. It's a concern against more capable and smarter players than Andros Townsend. He's quite useful in combination when going forward but lacks that yard or rather three yards of pace to take on players, like Shaw does..

fullbacks in modern football definitely need to by pacey especially when playing with inverted wingers, they need to be ready up and down the wing which Blind simply can't provide due to his extreme slowness.. he's useful squad player though

How did he play today btw?

Speak

I don't think most of us even expect him to be a dictator from midfield. This "dictator from midfield" issue has only arisen because we don't really have a chance creator through the middle whenever Fellaini has played as well as a midfielder with a good passing range.

Blind's passing range isn't that great, and I don't expect it to be as he's not a dictator for me. However, what he is is a defensive midfielder with great intelligence who can be an outlet for the other players to start off attacks and make spaces for the dictators/creators. In the first half of the season, everyone, not just those in here who admired Blind, talked about Blind being key to our possession play and attacks and how teams had to focus on closing him down to stop our attacks. He wasn't like Cleverley, Makelele, or Mascherano in that he'd not seek the ball and would quickly release it to the closest teammate. In a pass-and-move, fluid setup, Blind is very good and can also become a key player. Defensively, he's excellent and showed that he can screen the defence with his intelligence, positioning, and reading of the game. Offensively, he can up our tempo by moving forward with the ball or supplying the more creative players with quick passes. Again, he's not some schmuck footballer who runs around like a headless chicken.

His problems arise when there's no one else in the team with a good passing range or when he gets tired. We've seen it all too often that he's very easy to get past when he gets tired, and his involvement goes down to zero when he's tired. I just hope that he can adjust to the league's physical standards and not get tired to quickly as he's done in the second half of the season. Also, to make him our main dictator in midfield will cause us to be slow and sluggish in midfield as we've seen this season as he doesn't have the passing range or vision in midfield for such a responsibility. He's often been at his best alongside midfielders who seek to create chances and/or have a good passing range.
Firstly, I don't think he's great defensively. This is probably where our disagreement will centre. Aside from being very susceptible on the break, his reach, agility, and acceleration are poor. His positioning isn't yet great (while it improves, I think it's largely cemented by 25), and the fact that he has to make many more challenges than Carrick is a negative for me, rather than a positive - at least in his case. Just by watching Blind, I'm left with the impression that he's busy, but not a great defensive player.

I don't think his passing is quick at all, and I don't think he ups the tempo at all. In fact, I think that these are key issues for him, though his passing is secure and accurate.

If he's in the team to shield the defence and keep possession, then there are players who'll do a better defensive job and can make the same (mostly simple) passes that he makes. Schneiderlin would be an immediate upgrade, for example. He can even carry the ball and ride a challenge.

The thing is, he's not great at defending and he's not actually doing much with the ball. The standards have really dropped, if being available (really deep) and making a simple pass is worthy of praise. Carrick did/does this while doing more with the ball. Alonso did/does this while doing more with the ball. Verratti does this while doing more with the ball. Thiago...
It's merging the high passing percentage with purpose that's praise-worthy.

Right now, he's doing both jobs kind of well. But I don't see the tools there for a deep-lying playmaker who impacts game after game.

Edit: last line should say: "deep-lying midfielder", not "playmaker"

Last edited:

Sammyjunn

@Speak maybe that's where you go wrong, he is no deep lying playmaker, he's a controlling/defensive midfielder. Who often have players besides them to make the play, create space and chances.

In recent years we've had poor midfielders so Carricks has been that all for us, but if we have lets say a midfield containing Blind, Strootman and Herrera, it isnt neccesary for Blind to be our play maker, to get us in dangerous possession. It rather would be for him to link defence with attack and shield the defence for us. Only the best of the best can do that all, the likes of Busquets and Carrick 2012/2013, it would be great if we could get that, but that specific controlling role, could be a 'legit' role / part in a three mans midfield.

Speak

@Speak maybe that's where you go wrong, he is no deep lying playmaker, he's a controlling/defensive midfielder. Who often have players besides them to make the play, create space and chances.

In recent years we've had poor midfielders so Carricks has been that all for us, but if we have lets say a midfield containing Blind, Strootman and Herrera, it isnt neccesary for Blind to be our play maker, to get us in dangerous possession. It rather would be for him to link defence with attack and shield the defence for us. Only the best of the best can do that all, the likes of Busquets and Carrick 2012/2013, it would be great if we could get that, but that specific controlling role, could be a 'legit' role / part in a three mans midfield.
In that case, there are better players for that role. I still don't believe that a player more capable with the ball can't be implemented.
When Carrick plays the role, and injects speed and purpose in our play, we certainly don't look worse for it. That's what takes a team up a level.

Even if it we break his role down to simply breaking up play and passing short. Even if that's literally all the role requires, and if all the bits that Carrick adds aren't necessary - Blind can be improved upon.