Danny Ings / signs for Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
Has he stacked up big stats in the Pl though? I don't think he's scored that much this year? Plus his time at the one big club he's been at is a turn off for many
34 goals in 64 matches for Southampton - how many strikers in the P.L have been close to those stats in the last 2 seasons - only Salah and Kane better ?
Not much wrong with those figures in the PL and at a club with limited creativity.

croadyman

Martial will be very hard to move on. He's on huge money. Think we'll give him another year to get his form back
I would totally be on board with this IF we could still get the CB, DM & RW we desperately need, on the other hand if selling him meant better quality in all positions then think we should consider doing it

OL29

Ings will be far more useful for us as an option than Martial it's not even a contest for me.

I will cash on Martial while he still has any value and replace him with Ings easily.

Ings will probably be not that as expensive of a business and we will have enough money for Sancho and a midfielder.
‘Far more useful’ is that not a bit of an exaggeration? Bar last season, it’s not like Ings has pulled up any trees, he’s spent even more time injured than Martial and is less versatile. The grass isn’t always greener, and if we were to buy Ings, I imagine a lot of you will be calling him deadwood within a few months. Let’s not forget how fickle a lot of you were with Ighalo.

Interval

Level
I really would rather Vardy if he were looking for one last hoorah somewhere. He's provide us something different and given his age, would not mind coming off the bench. Ings is okay, but nothing more.

Loon

:lol:
His career with the dippers was ruined by two big injuries, so kinda worried that might occur again and overall he seems like such an uninspired signing.

That said, quite prepared to be proved wrong.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Martial will be very hard to move on. He's on huge money. Think we'll give him another year to get his form back
I think someone said it earlier in the thread but if that’s the case, why not let martial and rashford fight it out on the left

This is assuming of course that Sancho is on our right. That’s a big assumption but I think a more realistic scenario than either kane or Haaland coming.

In that scenario Ings would definitely be a good and cost effective addition and give us all sorts of options up front. At his age, Ings wouldn’t be a long term obstacle for Greenwood either, who is still a couple of years away yet IMO.

Cavani / Ings / Greenwood up top
Rashford / Martial / James on the left
Sancho / Greenwood / Diallo on the right

I’ve not been a fan of Martial for a long time but I don’t doubt his talent and if we can’t sell him then at least make use of him without heaping the expectation on him that comes with that CF position, he’s just not suited to it and Cavani has shown how much better we are with a proper no9.

Bondi77

Has he stacked up big stats in the Pl though? I don't think he's scored that much this year? Plus his time at the one big club he's been at is a turn off for many
He has had injuries this year but I I think he is a very good all round footballer who contributes more than goals and assists. I am pretty sure he had his fair share of injuries when he was at Liverpool as well and that would be my main concern but I wanted us to sign him when his time was up at Burnley as he was impressive during his time there.
I am not really fussed if we sign him or not as I would like us to sign Patson Daka

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
‘Far more useful’ is that not a bit of an exaggeration? Bar last season, it’s not like Ings has pulled up any trees, he’s spent even more time injured than Martial and is less versatile. The grass isn’t always greener, and if we were to buy Ings, I imagine a lot of you will be calling him deadwood within a few months. Let’s not forget how fickle a lot of you were with Ighalo.
Huh? I saw very few criticisms whilst he was here. Only when Cavani came in did we realise we could get better

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
one stat that is frequently ignored is goal per game per tattoo (xgpgpt) martial has 55 goals in 167 games. interestingly, ings also has 55 goals but in fewer games (139) martial has no tattoos as far as science is aware and ings has at least 15.

so martial 167/55*0 = 0
ings however 139/55*15 = 37.9

we can clearly see that when it comes down to it, martial isn’t the kind of striker you can rely on to score goals consistently with blank skin. ings on the other hand is averaging over 2 goals a game for every 2 tattoos he has. if we sign him and force him to get a new tattoo before every game he will be the most prolific striker in the history of the game. it’s a no brainer. we replace his goals with someone cheaper who has more tattoos.

krentz

I don't think it's remotely far fetched we'd look to swap an underperforming and all things considered disappointing striker for Kane, it's not like Martial would want to stick around if we signed Kane anyway, he's not a fan of competition.
I think it's beyond dispute rn. Remember when he refused to shake hands with Mbappe? Mbappe looked so baffled :lol: Martial needs to understand the bigger club you play for, the fiercer internal competition will be. Now regarding Ings, he's a solid mid-table club striker. Nothing more.

Smoke screen if I've ever seen one ....
Fingers crossed :keano:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I really would rather Vardy if he were looking for one last hoorah somewhere. He's provide us something different and given his age, would not mind coming off the bench. Ings is okay, but nothing more.
Hell no. Vardy is totally washed up now. Time to get him was 3-4 years ago.

Trex

Not sure about this one, he could ended up like Phil Jones always out injured, he's another stop gap, I don't see why we should let go of Martial for someone we can't rely on.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
one stat that is frequently ignored is goal per game per tattoo (xgpgpt) martial has 55 goals in 167 games. interestingly, ings also has 55 goals but in fewer games (139) martial has no tattoos as far as science is aware and ings has at least 15.

so martial 167/55*0 = 0
ings however 139/55*15 = 37.9

we can clearly see that when it comes down to it, martial isn’t the kind of striker you can rely on to score goals consistently with blank skin. ings on the other hand is averaging over 2 goals a game for every 2 tattoos he has. if we sign him and force him to get a new tattoo before every game he will be the most prolific striker in the history of the game. it’s a no brainer. we replace his goals with someone cheaper who has more tattoos.

gazbradley

I’ve always considered Ings a player that’s better when given a consistent run of games rather than a guy who’d come in as and when needed, although I’ve no idea what I’m basing that on ‍♂. I suppose given Cavani’s age and Martial’s inconsistency he might feel he can earn the right to be our regular starter to be fair, but is there an agreement between him and Southampton to go for a decent price this summer? I would’ve thought he’s potentially the difference between them not fighting relegation and staying in the league has gotta be worth at least 30 mil for them, if I was a Saints fan and let him go for anything less than that I’d be unhappy. But if we pay anything over 20 mil I’d be feeling we’d overpaid. Weird one

OL29

Huh? I saw very few criticisms whilst he was here. Only when Cavani came in did we realise we could get better
From what I remember, by the time football resumed after the long break and our front three were all back to full fitness, the consensus seemed to be that he was deadwood, with a lot of distasteful comments towards him.

By the way, I’m still wondering why you said Martial’s been offered around in a swap deal to West Ham, Dortmund and Spurs?

golden_blunder

Staff
From what I remember, by the time football resumed after the long break and our front three were all back to full fitness, the consensus seemed to be that he was deadwood, with a lot of distasteful comments towards him.

By the way, I’m still wondering why you said Martial’s been offered around in a swap deal to West Ham, Dortmund and Spurs?
No I said it may not be true but I’d read reports off it

OL29

No I said it may not be true but I’d read reports off it
You said, very confidently, he’s being offered around, then when asked where it’s been reported, you said ‘multiple sources’.
I’ve asked a few times for some examples, as I can’t find any reports of it, not even from the less credible sources. So again, where has it been reported? Because that’s a pretty weird narrative to just make up.

AKDevil

As a striker, yes. I don’t rate Martial as a striker. Cavani has shown us what a striker should do at the very basics (off the ball movement, hold up play, work hard, anticipate goal scoring opportunities). Martial does none of that. He’s good at linkup play though but we already have Bruno for that.
Exactly. Martial been exposed in a very short time by Cavani. No need to accept the mediocrity he offers up front. Play him left wing or not at all. Ings a significantly better striker than Martial.

golden_blunder

Staff
You said, very confidently, he’s being offered around, then when asked where it’s been reported, you said ‘multiple sources’.
I’ve asked a few times for some examples, as I can’t find any reports of it, not even from the less credible sources. So again, where has it been reported? Because that’s a pretty weird narrative to just make up.
Well if I read it then it’s out there. Go seek. Like I said I don’t believe them. The only one I could imagine being true is Spurs for Kane

golden_blunder

Staff
:lol: My reading’s fine, not sure what that has to do with creating false rumours though.
Look go and look if it’s bothering you that much. Why would i make stuff up I have better things to do. Now stick me on ignore if that works better for you.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I thought the idea of keeping Cavani another season and signing Sancho was that Mason was going to be blooded in a lot more as a striker next season, I could see why they'd disrupt that plan if we could get Kane, but not for Ings.
I guess so that Mason can play out wide, where he's not bad and would contribute goals - he's more than one season away from being close to Kane

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'd take Vardy ahead of Ings in a heart beat

OrcaFat

I don’t want us to sign him.

I remember, Alan Smith was one of my least favourite players until we signed him and then I Ioved him.

But I can’t see that happening with this guy, he’s a notch below what we need.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Just another English Premier League striker that has a good goalscoring record that leads to getting over rated just like Darren Bent, James Beattie, Andy Johnson etc.

SER19

Surely the biggest club in the world can find a younger, better striker for 20-30m with all of the resources we have. Ok ings is PL proven but let's aim higher please

Anyone who thinks he is good enough for us is overrating him, I think. But he is pretty good compared to most.
ive nit read the thread. But on the assumption he’s a squad player who would play when Cavani can’t - he’s a decent option.

clearly I wouldn’t expect him to be first choice. But in a world where there’s so little quality after Lewi, Kane, Mbappe and Haaland - then a guy that can get 10-15 goals is a decent option.

Not everyone in the squad can be top class or a young player with potential to be so. Solid squad players are important.

Status
Not open for further replies.