Danny Ings / signs for Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.

macheda14

I would take. It would definitely mean the end of Martial at United and having Cavani and Ings as our striking options wouldn't be bad at all if we're putting all of our money into other positions. However, if City get Kane and we get Ings I would cry.

Zoo

As long as we get a defender, midfielder and Sancho.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
All top 4 teams would take Ings, though whether he would be a consistent first teamer is up for debate.
Potential bargain nonetheless.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Between him and Cavani we should have a very capable 9 for all games of the season. It's annoying because Danny Ings when fit is so, so underrated. It's just his injuries that worry me.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
'Value in the market.'

Bwuk

I wouldn't be against this as a back up for Cavani, but I'd question why not just get a RW to back up Mason and use Mason as Cavanis backup?

izec

I wouldn't be against this as a back up for Cavani, but I'd question why not just get a RW to back up Mason and use Mason as Cavanis backup?
Because the RWs are too expensive. So a striker with one year left it is

Oldyella

Would take if we are planning on moving on Martial. He would just be cover to give Cavani a breather anyway. Although I think he would be surprise a few with his goals if he gets decent minutes.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I'd like to see him back at Liverpool tbh. Great lad and quality player.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
13 goals and 4 assists. Surely we should be aiming higher.
I'm assuming he's the compromise if we are targeting first choice RW and CB spots. 13 in 30 isn't bad at all if it's a value transfer. If he can stay fit over the course of a season he's capable of 20+ goals (25 last season, all from open play).

JohnnyLaw

Would make sense if we were making enquiries whilst Cavani was looking like an uncertainty. Doubt we’re still interested.

I can’t see us selling Martial now, his value will be at an all time low and in a weak economy. We’ll rotate him with Cavani and hope he can find some form and for speculant clubs to recover financially before we decide on selling him on.

Oranges038

Let's be honest.

Southampton is his level.

Not a chance he should even be considered if winning the league is the target.

cyberman

Would be a smart signing. Could get RW and striker sorted for 105m

Heinzesight

Makes me want to weep just thinking of him in a United shirt. Then I think, would I rather him or Martial as an option off the bench?...sign the fecker up!

Sparky Rhiwabon

Do we have a policy of only targeting players coming to the end of their contracts or with a release clause? Rather than the players we actually want / need ?

Ffs people can't seriously think Ings is the answer to any of United's issues.

Edit: however, it will be funny seeing the reaction of the deluded fans who thought Haaland was signing!

CM

Nope. Not first team quality and a player with injuries approaching 30. Waste of a transfer

drdoityourself

We said signings not sign Ings. 29 years and already failed at a bigger club. Just a typical signing Liverpool would do when they were unable to maintain a title challenge.

The Oracle

Makes me want to weep just thinking of him in a United shirt. Then I think, would I rather him or Martial as an option off the bench?...sign the fecker up!
It's a great point you make.

Especially if we are chasing a game or wanting a winner from somewhere.
I definitely would rather have Ings over Martial any day.

Wolverine

Good signing if not expensive. And if other areas strengthened right wing, central mid, central defence.

Abraxas

I wouldn't really say he had an opportunity to succeed or fail at Liverpool. He played a handful of games and was injured. It sounded more like they would have kept him but he wanted more opportunity to get decent football after injury rather than them desperate to ship him out. Surely what he has done for sides where he has played football is more relevant.

I don't think it's intended to be the answer to all woes, it probably just signals that Ole is really not happy with Martial and doesn't see Greenwood as a striker, at least not yet. Which is a point of view I would agree with. The idea would be to share Cavanis work.

It doesn't solve the long term striker situation but I'm supposing that this is the plan if there isn't an affordable option or the right player. If you can't get Kane and Haaland for financial reasons or they want to go elsewhere then where do you turn to..you have to get somebody, Cavani can't play 50 games. Maybe they don't think the Daka, Andre Gomes types are good enough.

Bertie Wooster

I've stopped putting any stock in the plethora of links every window. I only start showing interest when there really seems some genuine momentum behind it. Which this doesn't at the moment.

But as for Ings in general: I can't really warm to him as a person - just one of those players I find irritating - but he's quite a good central striker with good work rate, movement and finishing ability.

I can see how he'd make a decent understudy for the top teams if they can get him cheap enough - while he's only one season left on his deal - as he seems to have a good temperament who'd give his all as a sub / understudy while also having the ability to make an impact in that role.

I'm not putting any faith in the link but, theoretically, I wouldn't be opposed to Cavani and Ings solving the #9 issue next year, with a replacement for Cavani the following year. That should leave a lot in the budget to address at least two or the other areas we need to improve.

But we really need to start adding some top quality additions. Cavani's new contract is good news in the short term. Bailly's less so. Talk of a new deal for Mata is disappointing (it's time to move on from him). And Ings, if there's any truth to it, would be a decent (cheapish) squad player. All acceptable if they're in addition to two or three quality signings in the CB, DM, RW areas. But, with the exception of the ongoing Sancho links, there doesn't feel to be any particular player that we're close to signing, or even genuinely after, in those positions.

Rojofiam

Can't wait for the doom and gloom on here when City sign Kane and we end up with Ings :lol:

0le

Would rather have Lingard as the back up striker.

MiracleInMadrid

Would be a very "Liverpool 10-years ago"-esque signing. I'm instantly thinking about Lambert, Benteke, Ings himself and Carroll to name a few. Players joining from midtable teams on the back of good seasons. None of them were able to handle the step up to a bigger club.

If we bring him in, it has to be on a short contract and for a fair price. And above all else, we cannot rely on him to deliver on the big stage. But as we have Cavani already, it might work having both. But as soon as Cavani leaves, we have to bring in a top striker with experience from the very top. Cavani and Zlatan have shown us the importance of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.