Darmian to Juventus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockets Redglare

Who else remembers those first few months of his first season where he looked absolutely quality ? I was convinced he would become one of the best full backs in the league. Maybe it was my Italian bias.
Nope I agree, I seriously thought we had our next great right back.

shield

We have sold Blind but Darmian is still here. Blind still showed some quality.

United Pro

Redcafe is the definition of knee jerk. He is hardly an awful player. He is an okay player, but nothing more.

If he was awful, he wouldn't be playing for United, starting for Italy and Juve, Inter and Napoli wouldn't be trying to sign him.

United is asking for more than his true price cause every club is doing the same for every player, and because we are short on his position.
Completely agree.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Redcafe is the definition of knee jerk. He is hardly an awful player. He is an okay player, but nothing more.

If he was awful, he wouldn't be playing for United, starting for Italy and Juve, Inter and Napoli wouldn't be trying to sign him.

United is asking for more than his true price cause every club is doing the same for every player, and because we are short on his position.
He was nothing short of absolutely awful for us. At times I was genuinely baffled as to how he managed to become a professional footballer because he looked completely devoid of any sort of ability. Maybe he was good at Torino and for Italy and maybe he just really, really was unable to transition into the PL cause I can't see how, based on his performances for us at least, anyone could want him.

izec

Who else remembers those first few months of his first season where he looked absolutely quality ? I was convinced he would become one of the best full backs in the league. Maybe it was my Italian bias.
He was good. Started really well. But i think he hasnt settled well in the team and England. With time, you could see his confidence drop and him not being able to keep it up. He looked much better before United and started well, not minths, more like weeks, and then he really dropped a level or two

Revan

Assumptionman
He was nothing short of absolutely awful for us. At times I was genuinely baffled as to how he managed to become a professional footballer because he looked completely devoid of any sort of ability. Maybe he was good at Torino and for Italy and maybe he just really, really was unable to transition into the PL cause I can't see how, based on his performances for us at least, anyone could want him.
He was actually very good for us in the first half of his debut season, getting consistently mentioned as one of our best performers. Then Sanchez destroyed him and he lost his place. Since then, he has been a mix of meh and competent (but not more) with the occasional stinker.

However the fact that Napoli, Inter and most importantly Juve (arguably the best team when it comes to signing players in the last few years) want him, and we are not desperate to sell him kind of gives the impression that he is nowhere as bad as Caf thinks. Not great for us, not good enough to start but if we cannot get a good price it isn't the end of the world to keep him considering that in his position we have an injured 33 years old player and an injured 19 years old player with 6 senior appearances on his career.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Meh, he's actually a decent player on the right, but that's about it, and like most decent players he doesn't have the inborn confidence in himself of a great player. So he tends to plays to the team's level. He needs not only to have confidence in himself, he needs the whole team to play with confidence. Otherwise he shrinks and turns into a husk

He's poor on the left. No matter what, the best you can hope for him on the left is to be a somewhat decent defender, and that's it

And yes, you are asking for too much atm, and he's also asking for too much. Only viable option seems to be Napoli, if they get desperate enough

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
This U-turn in decision about Darmian has less to do with Darmian and more to do with Valencia. Mourinho just made the alarming realization that Valencia has aged 5 years over the summer. Valencia is done.

If Darmian left you’ll be left with Dalot and as much as he looks promising, Mourinhos worst nightmare is not having an older ‘reliable’ player in a position.

Darmian is as good/ bad at playing football as he is at growing sideburns.

I’m surprised he’s still here after three years, but now we have an acute injury issue at RB which might mean he stays. If Valencia and Dalot’s injuries only keep them out for a month, then we can cope - but I can understand the manager erring on the side of caution.

Vilev

Redcafe general consensus on Darmian: "He is woeful"

United asking price: 20£ millions
Darmian is a pretty shitty player for any top club, but that is the prices. Liverpool's third choice GK who only played in Chmpionship being like 25 is valued at 12m.
Darmina is decent back-up option or an okay-ish players for clubs like Lazio. Juve might want him, because they lost that swiss guy and currently understaffed at RB. Darmian is also better for Serie A, since it does not require of full back to cover as much ground and be proper player up the field.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

He can stay for the first few games, until one of Valencia or Dalot is back. Then we can sell him to Napoli or something.

Vilev

He can stay for the first few games, until one of Valencia or Dalot is back. Then we can sell him to Napoli or something.
I would prefer us going with younger option. Actually funny enough, it's full back positions where young player tend to perform very well.
I mean even if we take players that ultimately failed due to whatever, when they just started on full back role they looked good. I remember like 7-10 junior player over the last 4-5 years in top-6 clubs that done really good. It's very easily explained. That is a position where you need stamina and speed more than intelligence and experience.

Steven7290

I would prefer us going with younger option. Actually funny enough, it's full back positions where young player tend to perform very well.
I mean even if we take players that ultimately failed due to whatever, when they just started on full back role they looked good. I remember like 7-10 junior player over the last 4-5 years in top-6 clubs that done really good. It's very easily explained. That is a position where you need stamina and speed more than intelligence and experience.
I can't say it's incorrect however we're talking about mediocre ones. Great full backs use a great deal of their intelligence in timing and positioning, at various points in the game would play like an extra centre midfielder like Lahm, Zanetti used to do. Kimmich right now plays very similar to those guys.

Vilev

I can't say it's incorrect however we're talking about mediocre ones
No, young ones. Intelligence often comes with experience. While some exceptional players like Lahm may have been intelligent from the start, quite a lot of great full backs develop their positional sense much further down the line.
And some great full backs actually lack it still. Marcelo for example one of the best full backs in the world. But his strength is his technical skills, speed, how he works with the ball, in terms of positioning he is a mess half the time. As many other attacking full backs.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He is available to be sold. ‘If a player wants to leave, if we get an acceptable offer, he will go’. I doubt Jose breaks that policy because of Matteo Darmian!

stevoc

Months is stretching it to be fair.

stevoc

He was actually very good for us in the first half of his debut season, getting consistently mentioned as one of our best performers. Then Sanchez destroyed him and he lost his place. Since then, he has been a mix of meh and competent (but not more) with the occasional stinker.
That game was in the first week of October, and he was poor for about a month before then but most fans didn't really notice as he was still in the new singing honeymoon period.

But that was the game where he was exposed as an awful player, he's never recovered.

The Irish Connection

Yes! He was brilliant for a few months! Weird really. I remember some pundits saying him and Shaw were up there with the best fullbacks in the league, and he genuinely reminded me a little of Denis irwin. Oh how that changed. It's funny how the masses seem to latch onto the general opinion of him being crap.
I reckon, like with Shaw, if he was given regular game time and confidence from a manager he'd be decent. But I agree that he hasn't been anything like the player he was in those first few months.

ti vu

Why not try smalling or Bailly at RB rather than keep Darmian in the short term?
Smalling can't play RB without a right winger. Our current set up is very different than under SAF where Smalling could just lay it for our winger, and done with his resposibility.

I am all for Bailly playing some game as RB. It's more about Bailly, Smalling all carrying an injury. Jones is Jones. We may look like have that many CBs now, but knowing luck in next couple weeks we may end up with barebone and unable to continue makeshift fullback wing back whether or not we have the new CB.

Darmian ain't just covering RB. Shaw is not the fittest guy and also already had some sort of injury set back even during pre season.

jmaggio

Yes! He was brilliant for a few months! Weird really. I remember some pundits saying him and Shaw were up there with the best fullbacks in the league, and he genuinely reminded me a little of Denis irwin. Oh how that changed. It's funny how the masses seem to latch onto the general opinion of him being crap.
I reckon, like with Shaw, if he was given regular game time and confidence from a manager he'd be decent. But I agree that he hasn't been anything like the player he was in those first few months.
I agree. I genuinely thought he performed to a really high level in at least his first few months here. The team then started to shuffle about and his performances really dropped. I can’t say whether it’s to do with his mentality or how he adapted to the league (even though he started well.)

Just a little example of why I thought he would do well (Crazy to think the guy was voted out player of the month once!)

I concur with most that He now needs to leave, I feel he would do well back in Italy.

Nick.

I remember being massively impressed for the first few games too. I'm certain that he looked excellent at that time. A pity he couldn't continue that quality of play.

stevoc

In his first two seasons he was given plenty of regular game time and he wasn't.

RedTiger

Half mast

Agree totally.

stevoc

Yeah, I suppose. He definitely started off well though and I think there's a decent player in him depending on confidence/environment.
Yeah he definitely had a great first month. He wasn't amazing going forward but he did look solid defensively.

There is a half decent player in him, the environment he needs to bring it out is a mid table club in Serie A circa 2013-2015.

daveskimufc

He has looked like a lost schoolboy for the last few seasons.

I would have liked to have seen TFM or Axel given minutes at rb preseason, but I know, I know, Jose refuses to play the inexperienced

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
If it's true Darmian is wanted by Napoli, would the caf take a swap deal involving him & Elseid Hysaj?

Revan

Assumptionman
If it's true Darmian is wanted by Napoli, would the caf take a swap deal involving him & Elseid Hysaj?
Of course, he is a very good player. His clause is 50m though, and Napoli are difficult to deal with. Not sure that Darmian + 30m euros for him is a good business considering that we have bought Dalot.

Also, not sure that we need a 24 yo right back with Dalot here. I think that we got Dalot cause we though he is gonna be great.

Rauður Djöfull

I kind of made peace with it now that we won't be buying a LB this summer, hopefully means we are in for Tierney in a year.

However I see no need to keep Darmian here, he wants to leave and barely plays anyway and has not shown that he is up to the standard we want.

It's true that he could play the first games since Valencia and Dalot are injured but what than? Sold in the end of august to Serie A ? Their window is open longer.

I'd rather just see Jose give someone like Tuanzebe or TFM the chance, isn't Valencia supposed to be back in september anyway?

The Irish Connection

Yeah he definitely had a great first month. He wasn't amazing going forward but he did look solid defensively.

There is a half decent player in him, the environment he needs to bring it out is a mid table club in Serie A circa 2013-2015.
In fairness, he was much better going forward as well, beat players and made more positive runs in behind.

I reckon he can be decent for another mid table serie a team again, and hopefully so if he leaves, which I think would be better for everyone.

buckooo1978

it's simple for me

if you aren't good enough, under successive managers, to displace Valencia or Young you simply aren't good enough to be at the club.

give him a couple of games until injuries subside then let him go for anything 10m plus....I'd rather see Fosu-Mensah get the chance

Vilev

Who else remembers those first few months of his first season where he looked absolutely quality ?
I think it's nonsense.

I remember those games. Do you? His first game was a 1-0 with Spurs. He has done nothing in attack at all. Looked awful with the ball, his passes always were back or to the nearest players, crossed lacked any quality. It was an awful, dull game and Darmian never looked even like a good full back. He also made a positional mistake in defence, when he could not hold the line and allowed Eriksen (i think) to have Spurs best chance of the game.
Then was the the Villa game, again 1-0 win. There he had some good clearances when we were defending deep in the second half, but truth to be told most of fans, i believe, certainly me, don't think Darmian is a bad defensive player. For example if he played in a Walker's England role in a formation with 3 back, he could have done really good. It's just it's a very special position, seldom used and it's not something you want from a MU full back. So all his good points in Villa game were strictly defensive, basically the way we defended, he was playing RCB, not RB. As for attack Darmian was as shit as he was in the first game. His contribution in opposition's half was literally nil. All others games were the same. He was decently good against Liverpool, but so were almost everyone else, we had a good game, but in that good game Darmian still did not play exceptionally well, or even above MU average.
In fact his issues in attack persisted even in good games and ultimately led to him being a cover option.

I remember exactly he had exactly one really good game for United in terms of attack. I don't remember against who, but he was playing on the left side. And did make a few great crosses etc.

stevoc

In fairness, he was much better going forward as well, beat players and made more positive runs in behind.

I reckon he can be decent for another mid table serie a team again, and hopefully so if he leaves, which I think would be better for everyone.
Better going forward than he has been for the rest of his United career yeah probably. Thats not saying much though.

Crashoutcassius

Credit where it is due. He wanted to play here and lived his dream to an extent, constantly a perfect professional and in other circumstances could have played more if our rb and lb struggled with injury more. Had some good games incl the Europo league latter stages. A good defender but just not an attacker. If he stays to cover then good because he is a perfect cover player, if he moves on then best of luck

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Hope he turns it around. He played decent in his first full season until he had a stinker against Arsenal away. LVG pretty much dropped him, hung him out to dry and he never recaptured any decent form.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Darmian's 'man of the match' debut against Spurs. Distinctly average but people were desperate to not play Valencia who was far better:

Status
Not open for further replies.