Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
This Klopp transfer guru is a myth - he has made some good signings but he had a nucleus of a very good team - everyone appears great slipping into a really good functioning team, however, once that team starts to decline it won’t appear so much that way. Because he had a purple patch doesn’t mean it will continue

Liverpool have peaked with this years quadruple failure and I guarantee that all future signings won’t have the same impact - it is the inevitable cycle that ends.

Also - they have been able to keep a good status quo on players and salaries - as soon as that gets busy then the dissent comes. Mane goes this year, Salah next and then who else? They would be big boots to fill for Nunez and Diaz/Jota.
I haven’t read such confidence on here since the Salah transfer thread in August 2017.

Kag

Can’t help but think this lad’s agent is having a right laugh with the press. Some of the rumoured numbers are eye-wateringly high. One to watch, clearly.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
This Klopp transfer guru is a myth - he has made some good signings but he had a nucleus of a very good team - everyone appears great slipping into a really good functioning team, however, once that team starts to decline it won’t appear so much that way. Because he had a purple patch doesn’t mean it will continue

Liverpool have peaked with this years quadruple failure and I guarantee that all future signings won’t have the same impact - it is the inevitable cycle that ends.

Also - they have been able to keep a good status quo on players and salaries - as soon as that gets busy then the dissent comes. Mane goes this year, Salah next and then who else? They would be big boots to fill for Nunez and Diaz/Jota.
Who was in this nucleus of a very good team that Klopp inherited when he arrived in 2015? Only Henderson, Milner, Firmino and Gomez remain from that group (Origi too but he'd been out on loan at the time), and Henderson's the only regular starter now.

Van Dijk, Matip, Robertson, Mane, Salah, Diaz, Jota, Thiago, Fabinho, Konate, Alisson, Alexander-Arnold (youth) & Wijnaldum (gone now) were all brought into the squad under Klopp.

Tavern in the town

They made a Champions League final 4 seasons ago. That’s some purple patch.

Branchofscience

You've just lost one of the best DoFs in football, no telling what your new strategy might be. Maybe your scouts have said he's the next van Nistelrooy. Maybe you've shit yourselves because City signed Haaland and the £80m you were saving for Tchouameni is now burning a hole in your pocket. All we know for certain is you're about to spunk £100m on a lad who's had 1 good season in Portugal.
What about all his attributes ? does that not play a big part in the buying process ? Its the player profile that is most important to klopp, the rest they train in to whoever it is to fit and play within the system. Within that system the player becomes more than the sum of his parts. His profile suggests he will succeed at Liverpool, he could very flop at united, as there is no system in place.

prateik

I cant imagine Liverpool paying 80m+ add ons for him.
If they are, he is theirs.. no one is matching that.

Jibbs

A zFernando Torres / Luis Suarez kind of signing for Liverpool. It’s a shame we might miss him because of no champions league and Ronaldo.

Branchofscience

A zFernando Torres / Luis Suarez kind of signing for Liverpool. It’s a shame we might miss him because of no champions league and Ronaldo.
Exactly, the potential is there already, no chance he declines in a better team that creates 10s of chances a game.

United need a striker badly, no CL, so you can not attract the best players in thos kinds of positions who want to showcase their talents at the top table, even if you throw 500000 a week at them.

Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs , Newcastle , west ham and wolves are all competing for 3rd to 8th, realistically, anyone of those teams can finish above united. If Aston Villa get coutinho and Suarez, then you could be fighting for a top ten spot in the league next season

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Us losing out on this signing just shows that we haven’t learnt our lesson! Another new manager having to try and succeed when we’re signing his 2nd 3rd and 4th choice targets! It shouldn’t matter how much a target cost..: we should be backing the manager, just like city do with pep and Liverpool do with klopp! Them 2 teams are strengthening upfront when they was already the top 2 highest scorers in the league. Meanwhile we’re messing about as usual. When will this club learn?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Us losing out on this signing just shows that we haven’t learnt our lesson! Another new manager having to try and succeed when we’re signing his 2nd 3rd and 4th choice targets! It shouldn’t matter how much a target cost..: we should be backing the manager, just like city do with pep and Liverpool do with klopp! Them 2 teams are strengthening upfront when they was already the top 2 highest scorers in the league. Meanwhile we’re messing about as usual. When will this club learn?
When will this club learn ? Fans like you should stay out of transfer Muppetry until it's over. Come back and cry in Aug for something else.

SeanyC

Guys, interested is not the same as putting a bid in, €100million is madness for someone who has one good season and especially when there is more priorities. Go all out for De Jong and Timber. Let pool have him, we will get a dark horse, I’m sure of it.

Kammy26

How do you even know we were in for him? Also with city and Liverpool it’s easier to strengthen from the positions they are in, so easier to spend this sort of money on one player. We need a f total rebuild so blowing 80 mill on this guy ain’t a wise decision.

This is probably Liverpools answer to city buying Haaland. Nunez is nowhere near that level though atm

jesperjaap

Seems like the hipsters' choice these days - how many of you can possibly have been watching OGC Nice games on a regular basis? :lol:
Followed him since he was a French youth international as he looked so good in the tournament long before his injury, I named him on a who we should sign thread about three years ago and have watched him over twenty times....but yes, if we name a player not heavily linked or paraded to us by press rumour mill, must just be a fm playing hipster....maybe dont jump to conclusions

Von Mistelroum

He would be a good signing for Liverpool. Don't think he's worth that much though. I would definitely take Nkunku over him for example.

I would personally like us to go for Scamacca if he's available though, since Nkunku doesn't seem to be.

Flexdegea

I never thought I'd be the one to say or think like this about us buying players, but if liverpool are seriously in for him at the moment the only way we could get him if we offered absolutely daft money compared to them, or he's a secret United fan.

Liverpool would be the massive favourites at the moment

DJ_21

How do you even know we were in for him? Also with city and Liverpool it’s easier to strengthen from the positions they are in, so easier to spend this sort of money on one player. We need a f total rebuild so blowing 80 mill on this guy ain’t a wise decision.

This is probably Liverpools answer to city buying Haaland. Nunez is nowhere near that level though atm
We’ll we’ve been in contact with his agent for weeks. Pretty clear that ten Hag rates him…

DJ_21

When will this club learn ? Fans like you should stay out of transfer Muppetry until it's over. Come back and cry in Aug for something else.
So you think the club is run smoothly and never make mistakes? Go back to sleep mate

GoldanoGraham

They made a Champions League final 4 seasons ago. That’s some purple patch.
Im talking about a purple patch in terms of transfers lately..…everyone talking like he is the transfer messiah after signing Jota and then Diaz recently - but it’s much easier for forwards to come in and do well when those around them are good. (As a comparison - Hernandez was the same when he came to us).

Klopp made some good signings over the last 5 years to get a very good team but that team peaked this season - and it’s a team that has won very little because of City. I believe it will now start to fall apart. Mane will be the start of that. Let’s not forget that Klopp has also made some poor signings also - Minamino, Keita.

Just makes me chuckle that everyone fawns over (him being the greatest manager/the current team being the best ever) his transfer ability and how great a manager he is - what about Peps signings? Diaz and now Haaland?

What I’m most pleased about is that while Liverpool have had a decent team (while we are so poor) is that they have won very little because of city. Next season will be the same again - they will win less. Their cycle is coming to an end. Mane leaves then Salah and then let’s see how great those signings are.

If they sign Nunez I don’t think he will be the player they think they are signing as Mane is as key to that team as VVD.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So you think the club is run smoothly and never make mistakes? Go back to sleep mate
Talk about sleeping ? Coming from a poster who thinks we should spent 80m for this guy and another 80m on midfielder and another 50m on a defender ? Bit rich mate ?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
What about all his attributes ? does that not play a big part in the buying process ? Its the player profile that is most important to klopp, the rest they train in to whoever it is to fit and play within the system. Within that system the player becomes more than the sum of his parts. His profile suggests he will succeed at Liverpool, he could very flop at united, as there is no system in place.
Well I'll take a very close look if he does sign because it's not at all a profile that Liverpool is used to having. Mane is miles, and I mean MILES better on the ball than Nunez. Basically if anyone gives him the ball, it's gone and I'm really not sure Salah will enjoy that much. They'll have to pretty much rebuilt their entire animation on offense if they want to fit Nunez. Take Firminho, imagine the opposite, here's Nunez.

I'd see him play for Atletico or in a 352 formation with 2 wing backs pretty high on the pitch to deliver the ball in the box but not in Liverpool's current animation.

Tavern in the town

Im talking about a purple patch in terms of transfers lately..…everyone talking like he is the transfer messiah after signing Jota and then Diaz recently - but it’s much easier for forwards to come in and do well when those around them are good. (As a comparison - Hernandez was the same when he came to us).

Klopp made some good signings over the last 5 years to get a very good team but that team peaked this season - and it’s a team that has won very little because of City. I believe it will now start to fall apart. Mane will be the start of that. Let’s not forget that Klopp has also made some poor signings also - Minamino, Keita.

Just makes me chuckle that everyone fawns over (him being the greatest manager/the current team being the best ever) his transfer ability and how great a manager he is - what about Peps signings? Diaz and now Haaland?

What I’m most pleased about is that while Liverpool have had a decent team (while we are so poor) is that they have won very little because of city. Next season will be the same again - they will win less. Their cycle is coming to an end. Mane leaves then Salah and then let’s see how great those signings are.

If they sign Nunez I don’t think he will be the player they think they are signing as Mane is as key to that team as VVD.
I don’t think many people think Klopp himself is the transfer messiah. But it’s clear whoever’s in charge of Liverpool’s recruitment is very good, their hit rate is class.

arthurka

This transfer makes no sense he isn't good on the ball. Don't see how he can fit into that Liverpool team.

GoldanoGraham

If we get FDJ then we would never be signing this player - a decent midfield signing(s) and you have Ronaldo, a surely improved Rashford next season, Elanga and maybe a another.

We won’t be doing Big Midfielder and Big CF in the same window - as we need to spend on RB and CB as well

NewYorkRed

If we get FDJ then we would never be signing this player - a decent midfield signing(s) and you have Ronaldo, a surely improved Rashford next season, Elanga and maybe a another.

We won’t be doing Big Midfielder and Big CF in the same window - as we need to spend on RB and CB as well
I think we will still go for a relatively expensive option upfront. They will replace Greenwood who was a big part of the future here. I don’t believe the low sums being reported for transfers; i’ve seen that every time we miss out on the CL and every time we end up splashing the cash. Its actually when we end up qualifying for the CL that we don’t spend typically (except last year).

El-Manos

A lot of money for a player so unproven. Then again liverpool usually buy the right players so what do I know.

C3Pique

Elanga is shite and should be loaned or sold. Personally I suspect that whilst there is the slightest chance that Greenwood can be reintegrated into the squad we won't spend big on an attacker. Once his case is settled either way I think will decide that gap in the squad.

Branchofscience

How do you know how well halyard is going to do in the league ? He is quite cumbersome. Look at sancho. He is struggling to adapt. You think halaand is going to go bang 30 goals in then you haven't been watching football that long.

Nunez far more versatile then halaand . More over what's that got to do with United? Or are you a city supporter now ?

DSG

these stats are purely for the CL, hence why they are skewered.
Careful using fbref for players outside the top 5 European leagues. They only show data for the 'Big 5' and European competitions over the last year - in Darwin's case those stats are based off 614 minutes, so statistically pretty worthless.
Those stats are based on just 614 minutes played, all in the Champions League against mostly superior opposition (Liverpool, Ajax, Bayern, Barca). The sample size is too small and too skewed to be useful or indicative of anything.
https://www.infogol.net/en/player/darwin-núñez/49325

XG is 15 and change, 68% pass completion in Portugal Liga. My point is that the stats are not mind blowing. He looks a handful vs even big defenders, which is good, but we also aren’t talking about the next Harry Kane here…

We have a lot of pretty difficult fixtures, 10 vs the top 6, then you have Leicester and West Ham, etc. At 85m… why not pay 45m for Schick? I dunno. It looks like he got a bit lucky with the xG and keeper errors, the defenders in the PL are a bit faster and bigger. Then again, when is the next big striker going to be available?

Abraxas

I think when Liverpool are in for a player at this kind of money and with their recent track record you'd have to give it the benefit of the doubt and think he'll be bloody good. It always helps walking into a high quality attacking unit as well. He's going to have every chance really isn't he?

DJ_21

Talk about sleeping ? Coming from a poster who thinks we should spent 80m for this guy and another 80m on midfielder and another 50m on a defender ? Bit rich mate ?
Where’s the 80m come from? Reckon we can get FDJ for less then 80… Barca are desperate for money and should take whatever they get offered. Probably get done for about 60 with add ons. Timber probably cost about 30-35m if that’s the defender we want. What other strikers are available out there that we can buy? To get the best available you have to spend.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Nunez far more versatile then halaand . More over what's that got to do with United? Or are you a city supporter now ?
Wait what? How is he more versatile. He runs more on defense but that's pretty much it, The fact he played 5 games on the left wing last season doesn't make him more versatile and it's not a little bit of extra dribbling skills that will change that. Haaland is far more connected to his team than Nunez and his hold up play (even if not great) is far better.

Status
Not open for further replies.