Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief123

We don't really need that many to improve significantly. Just De Jong and Timber would push us up another level from last season.

Two other really big holes are RW and CF but they'd have to wait until Jan / next summer.
Completely disagree. Only 2 players coming in is absolutely miles off where we need to be.

We’ve got weaknesses right across the team. Even 6 players coming in will be questionable whether we would challenge for anything significant.

dinostar77

Everyone is waiting for Barca to find some Euro so that they can buy Lewandowski. Then Bayern signs Mané and Liverpool this guy.
Lets hope we get FDJ. Then the dominos can fall as you predict and liverpool get nuzez guy.

RedorDead21

Completely disagree. Only 2 players coming in is absolutely miles off where we need to be.

We’ve got weaknesses right across the team. Even 6 players coming in will be questionable whether we would challenge for anything significant.
we won’t be challenging, shouldn’t be challenging…we’ve practically been in the shadows (more like wilderness for a decade it seems)…if it was 20 years some fans would still expect to challenge the next year…it’s really odd

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Darwin may very well become a better player under Klopp but comparing Mane to him is off the mark by some distance.
If you look at the Mane threads from 2015 when it looked like you might be signing, they were full of moans about him not being good enough:

Not sure he's technically good enough to play for an elite team which plays possession football.
This would be a liverpool esque signing. Underwelming to say the least.
Seriously, losing Pedro and buying Mane. Acting like Liverpool.
He has great physical abilities. Fast, strong and got good balance. His technical ability isn't half as good as Pedro's and he isn't as good a player but will do a similar job in your attack.
Whatever happens, i just hope i dont read people trying to convince themselves he is better than pedro.
No thanks. Every time I see him play, I am just not impressed. I really think we've already taken Southampton's best - Luke Shaw and Morgan Schneiderlin. We can leave them alone now.
ffs, really hope this is bs, he may be quick but his end product is bang average and belongs at a club like southampton, no more f'ing mid-table players please
Why would we want to sign Ricky fecking Lambert's replacement? Just as we finally got rid of all the deadwood we are linked with championship level players again. Do not want.
If we get excited about signing this no mark, it shows how far we've fallen. It might be the art of the possible, but depressingly underwhelming.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/southampton-forward-sadio-mane.408256/

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. A couple who'd rather sign Berahino. Only one poster, @Celestiale, who actually dared suggest that he was better than Pedro.

Teja

We'll struggle MASSIVELY next season if a 37yr old is still our best ST backed up by a 27yr old Frenchman who's completely forgotten how to play football for 2yrs. It's just as big a priority as a midfielder.
We need a CB or RB too regardless of Timber because of departures

I can’t see De Jong and Timber pushing us to another level. If we just sign these two, Utd will still be fighting for 4th, like this season.
I think Ronaldo at 37 will be sort of like Zlatan at 34-35. We were still fine that year in the league. I don't know what y'all expect for a backup striker but I'm pretty sure whoever comes won't be any better than Rashford / Martial at CF. We're also not going to sign 6 players this summer, so those two + some backfill is the best you can expect.

Don't really expect us to challenge City / Pool this year. Even the club says it'll be 2-3 years before we win and that's just media spin.

I'll phrase it in terms of points instead, I think we'll go from 58 points last season to 70+ points this season. That should count as success.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Mane could control a ball and actuallly dribble well. Nunez is as Salah as they get and it would be smart to get him in now for if/when Salah leaves on a free.

Diaz will replace Mane.
Yeah, Nunez is basically the Salah replacement, isn't he?

Be interesting to see the dynamic up front with both of them in there.

I think Jota scorings loads through the centre has perhaps changed Klopp's thinking about what we need from the centre forward and to what extend we can get away with just stacking goalscorers up front.

Reckon Diaz will benefit from having a goalscorer in the centre.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I'll phrase it in terms of points instead, I think we'll go from 58 points last season to 70+ points this season. That should count as success.
It should. The inflated expectations don't really help. I remember how much shit mourinho took for failing to keep pace with a city side that won 100 points and thinking how ridiculous it was at the time.

Mainoldo

Yeah, Nunez is basically the Salah replacement, isn't he?

Be interesting to see the dynamic up front with both of them in there.

I think Jota scorings loads through the centre has perhaps changed Klopp's thinking about what we need from the centre forward and to what extend we can get away with just stacking goalscorers up front.

Reckon Diaz will benefit from having a goalscorer in the centre.
Yeah I agree. However I wouldn’t be surprised if the long term goal is to change into a 4231 and have the 10 playing behind the focal point in the centre. Jota could probably still do that and Cavalho after a season under his belt.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I agree. However I wouldn’t be surprised if the long term goal is to change into a 4231 and have the 10 playing behind the focal point in the centre. Jota could probably still do that and Cavalho after a season under his belt.
I don''t think Jota has anywhere near the allround game to play as a 10 for us.

Might be a revival of sorts for Firmino if so. And Elliot in particular would be very interesting to see in such a role.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

LuckyScout78

I will move rise his level up and category him as "Run to buy before other gets him ". Not because of Liverpool linking. Because i have been busy a week. Then i saw the Liverpool linking. Few weeks i choose him between Lewandoski, Schick and this boy. And still i will go for this boy over Lewandoski and Czech Patrick Schick. He is the real deal.
High energetic, raw. But he has pace, guts and power to get away from defenders.

Look at the goal he scored against Ten Hag and Ajax. If not buying Tadic. You buy equal good crosser and pass foot like Christian Eriksen for free, Bruno, Raphinha on the right side and De Jong to feed him. Consistently and with top quality crossers. Then with Nunezs guts, ability and willing to reach the ball first. You can see some head goals like that against Ajax and Ten Hag.

And like above. On the ground. With his energy, guts, raw power and determination. He will get away from defenders. In other words. A CF hard to meet. Because of all the factors and ingredients he is putting on his playing.
When i choose him over Robert Lewandoski. You get to be really good. Nunez is both short and long term solution. Like Ronaldo, Mitrovic and Sebastien Haller. They need top quality service.

And at Liverpool. To be objective. Luiz Diaz, Henderson and Salah can deliver top service. Just like De Bruyne and City players. Easy to CF for City and Liverpool. Even City without a CF can win premier league title. its say how much the top service around the CF is counting.

And he is only 22 and has everything to become a really good CF in the future.

And if with no RW signing.

Ten Hag can drop RW to add another CF upfront. I saw Ten Hag using 4312 in Ajax 2 last league matches.

Eriksen - Fred/Garner - De Jong + Bruno + Nunez - Ronaldo/Rashford

Nunez 22. Will replace Ronaldo as United CF about a year.

Ten Hag shall convince Nunez he will play a key role at United this season. And that United dont only use Ronaldo as a lonley striker. 4312 with two CF can be a option.

And if you want to convince Nunez. When Ten Hag is talking with him. I think Ten hag shall mention United are trying to sign De Jong and trying to build a winning team in the future. Convice him to join a future winning team.

Right now Mbappe. Diaz picked Liverpool over Spurs. And Nunez. City and Liverpool are winning and dominating teams right now. Many top players will prefers those dominate teams.

Then as head coach for another big teams. You have to talk and convince top players to join you. Your plan and goal for United. Then Frenkie De Jong from Barca shall be one of the factors and puzzlez to help United become a dominating and winning team again.
I think its not only about history and athmosphere of the Liverpool. Mostly peoples and players are choosing winning teams. A Advantage factors to those teams against United. Ten Hag shall tell and convice them about his and United future plan and goals.

Last edited:

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
If you look at the Mane threads from 2015 when it looked like you might be signing, they were full of moans about him not being good enough:

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. A couple who'd rather sign Berahino. Only one poster, @Celestiale, who actually dared suggest that he was better than Pedro.
You could also check out the Salah thread and VVD thread on the general disdain for the price.

Predictions are obviously notoriously difficult in football and any signing is a gamble. But when the track record stands up to just about anybody in world football, one has to just start believing in the process.

Deery

Dreary
Looks like he’ll score a few goals, obviously can shoot a football. Not losing much sleep over this though not the player we need I don’t think. Not even sure he’s a Liverpool fit..

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

The sooner you lower your expectations for the coming season the sooner you can mend your broken heart.

Josh 76

I think Ronaldo at 37 will be sort of like Zlatan at 34-35. We were still fine that year in the league. I don't know what y'all expect for a backup striker but I'm pretty sure whoever comes won't be any better than Rashford / Martial at CF. We're also not going to sign 6 players this summer, so those two + some backfill is the best you can expect.

Don't really expect us to challenge City / Pool this year. Even the club says it'll be 2-3 years before we win and that's just media spin.

So we have taken 2 steps back last season, and hope to move one forward next season.

That’s sums it up well.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Whether he ends up being the real deal or not, 80m being the going rate for a lad with one good season in the Portuguese league under his belt is insanity.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The way these lot do their transfer business is unreal. (If true)
They just put a bid in like everybody else. Nothing special.

Whether he ends up being the real deal or not, 80m being the going rate for a lad with one good season in the Portuguese league under his belt is insanity.
its an auction more than anything. What other striking talent is there? if not Nunez who else are you going to get? there's a huge lack of quality strikers.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Mainoldo

I don''t think Jota has anywhere near the allround game to play as a 10 for us.

Might be a revival of sorts for Firmino if so. And Elliot in particular would be very interesting to see in such a role.
Yeah your right. I was thinking more SS behind Nunez but could put Nunez as inside forward with Jota uptop (He’s played there for you there a couple times last season right?). He’s defo not good enough for that type of 10 role. Bruno vibes:nervous:

Deery

Dreary
It’s mad isn’t it, said it in another thread as well.

I think United need to up their transfer budget because it’s increasingly looking like player price is going up.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Fair play, those were dark days when people considered Pedro our potential savior :lol:

Mane wound up hitting heights he never did
It took me a few minutes to place the face to the name. I was wondering when had a Mexican taken the PL by storm. :lol:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Fair play, those were dark days when people considered Pedro our potential savior :lol:

Mane wound up hitting heights he never did
To be fair, I'd have mid-20s Pedro for our right wing now. :nervous:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

I really think we've already taken Southampton's best - Luke Shaw and Morgan Schneiderlin. We can leave them alone now.
Fecking hell :lol:

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah your right. I was thinking more SS behind Nunez but could put Nunez as inside forward with Jota uptop (He’s played there for you there a couple times last season right?). He’s defo not good enough for that type of 10 role. Bruno vibes:nervous:
Who is SS?

It's a bit of a weird one with Jota and what we're asking from the centre forward now.

Formerly, we had Firmino in the centre doing all sorts of klopp-critical stuff that justified him not scoring that many goals.

Then Jota displaces him by scoring goals, making runs and being a threat in the box but doing very little of the work on and off the ball that Firmino would get through.
And now we're at a point where Jota doesn't really have the allround game to play wide for us and we stick him in the centre to at least get on the end of things.

Honestly reckon Jota will either get found out or stick around as a Javier Hernández type of player. He doesn't have enough about him outside of goals to justify a starting place.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
As was 75m for a defender from southampton.

I'm putting my faith in our guys that if we're willing to pay such a fee, it's because we believe he'll be exceptional and will justify the fee soon enough.

But in general, yeah it is a bit mad. Follows on from Real paying 100m for Tchouameni. Which wouldn't have happened either if Mbappe had signed.

Nunez signs for us -> for Mane to sign for Bayern -> Lewandowski signs for Barca -> De Jong signs for United.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
80m is mad but Liverpool can afford to take risks like that because they already have an excellent, well stocked squad. It would look a lot of dumber if we blew a massive chunk of our budget on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.