Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal&hyde

The Uruguayan Andy Carroll.
Exactly. Very limited footballer imo but with an eye for a goal. Pool will need to make major tactical changes to accommodate such a player. Will score a few goals for them for sure, but he is not an 80 mil player. Could be the first major error in Pools transfer strategy over the last 7 years or so.

Ace_Ventura

Well done to Liverpool, in just 3 days they have completed this deal from talking to making bid to here we go, meanwhile at Manchester United .....

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Exactly. Very limited footballer imo but with an eye for a goal. Pool will need to make major tactical changes to accommodate such a player. Will score a few goals for them for sure, but he is not an 80 mil player. Could be the first major error in Pools transfer strategy over the last 7 years or so.
His finishing isn’t even that great. Klopp will make him look good but he’s such a limited player.

bringbackbebe

Can't stop seeing the Andy Carrol similarity here. Think Liverpool are overpaying, expecting Salah-Mane to leave.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I don’t know about his future form at LFC but he’s a lot faster and has a better movement and technique than Andy. Yeah, he looks a bit awkward at controlling the ball. I still think he will perform really well at EPL, since I rate his potential a lot. IMO, he’s a bit overpriced player and could be a lot of risks In term of changing tactics and his form.

*His strength is shot-accuracy and his percentages are better than Salah at this season ( different circumstances and system).

Last edited:

SATA

Generational talent this guy? :lol: Why has it been so commonly used these days that it has almost lost it’s entire meaning?

Just the other time when Grealish signed for City, one or two posters labelled him that as well:houllier:

Tavern in the town

Generational talent this guy? :lol: Why has it been so commonly used these days that it has almost lost it’s entire meaning?

Just the other time when Grealish signed for City, one or two posters labelled him that as well:houllier:
It doesn’t even have any meaning. It’s another one of those made up phrases like “world class” that every man and his dog has a different definition for.

jackal&hyde

I don’t know about his future form at LFC but he’s a lot faster and has a better movement and technique than Andy. Yeah, he looks a bit awkward at controlling the ball. I still think he will perform really well at EPL, since I rate his potential a lot. IMO, he’s a bit overpriced player and could be a lot of risks In term of changing tactics and his form.
Yeah it could go either way. Klopp has had complete strikers like Lewa and false 9 s that were very good footballers with the ball. Nunes is none of those, so it will be interesting how the system adapts, or if it does. I see him as the type of player that can shine in numbers but only at the expense of everyone else; kind of like we did with Rood and how much of a better team we were without him.

That is assuming he can even replicate the Portuguese form to the PL.

I'm not happy Pool got him, but I didn't want him for us either.

SATA

It doesn’t even have any meaning. It’s another one of those made up phrases like “world class” that every man and his dog has a different definition for.
I get your point but i can understand what and why it’s used for though, like for Messi and Ronaldo this era and it’s entirely appropriate for this duo. But fecking Darwin Nunez?

Alfie092

From what I have seen of him, he would have been a good buy if we got him at the £60-£65m. Anymore than that then it becomes an extremely expensive and high risk transfer considering we have so many areas to fix, we need to be reasonable with our signings and could probably spend big on 1-2 transfers at most and if we are to go big, then the midfield needs the biggest surgery. I'd rather spend big on de Jong then Nunez if we had to choose between either.

I hope he flops at Liverpool, worried he will do well though!

jackal&hyde

His finishing isn’t even that great. Klopp will make him look good but he’s such a limited player.
He is limited but Klopp is not Gandalf or Reva. He's never had a striker like this, one that needs the team to play for him in order to shine. It might work but imo this could be the beginning of the end for the 90 points a season Pool. It's the wrong transfer for them imo.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

Remember he is modern day Ronaldinho :lol: .

RedStarUnited

Liverpool can make these signings and risk it not working we cant. If this guy doesnt hit the ground running then Salahs numbers will cover it up.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
He is limited but Klopp is not Gandalf or Reva. He's never had a striker like this, one that needs the team to play for him in order to shine. It might work but imo this could be the beginning of the end for the 90 points a season Pool. It's the wrong transfer for them imo.
I mean he’s got Jota scoring for fun. I think he’ll get a tune out of this guy, only because I think he’d get a tune out of any half decent striker and with the number of chances they create, he’ll get goals and people will inevitably moan that we didn’t get him. When any half decent striker would score in that Liverpool team under Klopp.

laughtersassassin

Another year another window where Liverpool wrap up business before we do.

People claim th window is only early etc etc but every year we do our business later than most. We have so much to do we really ought to be more organized

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Liverpool is buying him because they are losing Mane.

But I think Mane is a better player, so they are actually getting a downgrade.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I've not seen him play, so it's really unfair for me to judge, but at the prices being mentioned, I'm glad it's not us buying him.

Liverpool can afford for him to struggle, we'd need him to work.

Curious as to why he could score so any goals last season, but the season before, had a fraction of the goals.
Luka Jovic had one good season, moved to Real and struggled.

He may turn out really good, but not done it for long enough for that type of fee

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Putting aside the price and if Nuñez is a true generational talent, this is a signing that Klopp has to make.
His tried and tested front trio has come to end of cycle and more teams has been able to defend against his Plan A.
It's nigh time for him to evolve to remain competitive at the top.
Mane's situation has largely been offset by Diaz arrival although it certainly plays a part in Nuñez pursuit.

Nuñez best season has come at back of below-par Benfica as finished 17 pts adrift league leader Porto.
Rather than getting streams of top service, he more than often than not carved his own chance.
He's shown some dodgy/laughable first touch and wayward passes (who doesn't?)
But what more apparent is that he's made to those smart runs and got to the right spaces even if to squander it in the end.

Nuñez transfer is certainly a big risk for Klopp but it could be the impetus for his tactical transformation.
Coutinho and Wijnaldum weren't actually replaced upon their departure and Liverpool wasn't doing worse either.
Doing like-for-like replacement might not be actually safer than some first thought.

Ten Haag would certainly be better off if they managed to land Nuñez.
But not at the expense of overhauling that rickety midfield.
On form Sancho, Rashford and Elanga are good enough to make progress as long as that midfield is patently fixed.
Signings like Antony might be a more suitable if Rashford is to be long-term CF.

Scriblerus

Whether he turns out to be a good signing or not, we've now seen both City and Pool move decisively (and at considerable cost) to fill their top priority transfer need. Depressing to see how they can do business early while we………………………………..

Hester_manc

I think this is going to be 80m down the drain for Liverpool. Have you seen his first touch on the ball? It is much worse than Lukaku. He might be a goalmachine in a league like the Portuguese. But his 2nd touch will often be a tackle in PL. Often you also see players who are dominant and score many goals in the Championship, but as soon as they get into the PL, it stops. I think this pretty much will be the same story.

I was very skeptical when we were put in touch with him. So I'm just happy that Liverpool have paid such a high a price.

These situations in the video are from just one season - and in the Portguese league....

Last edited:

Tavern in the town

I think this is going to be 80m down the drain for Liverpool. Have you seen his first touch on the ball? It is much worse than Lukaku. He might be a goalmachine in a league like the Portuguese. But his 2nd touch will often be a tackle in PL. Often you also see players who are dominant and score many goals in the Championship, but as soon as they get into the PL, it stops. I think this pretty much will be the same story.

I was very skeptical when we were put in touch with him. So I'm just happy that Liverpool have paid such a high a price.

I’ve seen all of Mane, Salah and Jota have games like this.

jackal&hyde

Putting aside the price and if Nuñez is a true generational talent, this is a signing that Klopp has to make.
His tried and tested front trio has come to end of cycle and more teams has been able to defend against his Plan A.
It's nigh time for him to evolve to remain competitive at the top.
Mane's situation has largely been offset by Diaz arrival although it certainly plays a part in Nuñez pursuit.

Nuñez best season has come at back of below-par Benfica as finished 17 pts adrift league leader Porto.
Rather than getting streams of top service, he more than often than not carved his own chance.
He's shown some dodgy/laughable first touch and wayward passes (who doesn't?)
But what more apparent is that he's made to those smart runs and got to the right spaces even if to squander it in the end.

Nuñez transfer is certainly a big risk for Klopp but it could be the impetus for his tactical transformation.
Coutinho and Wijnaldum weren't actually replaced upon their departure and Liverpool wasn't doing worse either.
Doing like-for-like replacement might not be actually safer than some first thought.

Ten Haag would certainly be better off if they managed to land Nuñez.
But not at the expense of overhauling that rickety midfield.
On form Sancho, Rashford and Elanga are good enough to make progress as long as that midfield is patently fixed.
Signings like Antony might be a more suitable if Rashford is to be long-term CF.
You say a lot there and yeah, I agree with most of it. I disagree with thinking that Diaz in one season can be seen as replacing Mane that has been WC for a long time. Diaz has the world to prove before he is ready to even talk the name of Mane. Feck pool and all that but Sadio Mane is a phenomenal player that got less then the attention he deserved because the PL writers were obsessed with Salah. No wander he wants to leave.

The nature of the thread is one Mane for one Nunes. As a United fan, I agree.

allen7

He’s a decent player but not really a generational talent for this price.
Obviously the Liverpool fans will try to be optimistic on this signing but at this price tag, he is expected to score 30 goals per season.
IMO, benfica played this out nicely by including our name and ramp up his price.

GoldanoGraham

Another year another window where Liverpool wrap up business before we do.

People claim th window is only early etc etc but every year we do our business later than most. We have so much to do we really ought to be more organized
That’s because he is not tied up in the Nations League….

We were never seriously in for him either.

Status
Not open for further replies.