David Beckham vs Trent Alexander-Arnold

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It's because of his haircuts, tattoos and wife. And I'm not kidding.

And by the way, Beckham was a better defender than TAA is.
That’s my thinking too. He’d make some full-back in todays game if he was asked to play there.

Tel074

Trent has a great cross but to even compare him to Beckham's level nevermind say he's actually better is embarrassing

Luke1995

Why in 99-2000, 01-02 and 02-03 Beckham wasn't as good as in 98-99 though ?

He was still very good but it seems like in 98-99 he reached a level that was so good that he couldn't keep it up for years

Revan

Assumptionman
TAA being better than Becks is a total joke, but I don't get why they are compared in the first place. Yes, both of them crossed a lot and were great at it (with Beckham being far better). But they don't even play in the same position, in fact one was a midfielder while the other is a defender.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Why in 99-2000, 01-02 and 02-03 Beckham wasn't as good as in 98-99 though ?

He was still very good but it seems like in 98-99 he reached a level that was so good that he couldn't keep it up for years
98/99 wasn't even his best season based on stats.

EPL only

98/99 34 App 6 Goals 11 Assists
99/00 31 App 6 Goals 15 Assists
00/01 31 App 9 Goals 12 Assists
01/02 28 App 11 Goals 8 Assists
02/03 31App 6 Goals 8 Assists

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I never get this Beckham being underrated stuff.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Seen quite a few people comparing them two, including journalists from telegraph and independent — outright saying that AA was better than Becks.

Is it just me, or did some incredible performances from Beckham for United, England and Madrid did not happen?
As far as I remember Beckham was at least as good as TAA defensively, and certainly better than him in every other aspect.

In my estimation, if Beckham was to play full back for us right now he’d be our most creative player. If he were to play for Liverpool he’d be regarded as one of the best players ever. (Seeing as they like to overrate every cnut that kicks a football for them)
We really live in the age of true science fiction. People taking stuff out of their imagination and trying to feed it to you as fact.

David Beckham was simply one of the most talented players I have from that time and there is no comparison even if becks was playing at right back as well.

Not sure why people underrate him, like a lot people know about his freekicks and delivery but not many seem to know that he was actually a pretty good dribbler as well.

izec

Obviously sarcastic, but give it another decade, and we will have this discussion

Gehrman

We really live in the age of true science fiction. People taking stuff out of their imagination and trying to feed it to you as fact.

David Beckham was simply one of the most talented players I have from that time and there is no comparison even if becks was playing at right back as well.

Not sure why people underrate him, like a lot people know about his freekicks and delivery but not many seem to know that he was actually a pretty good dribbler as well.
Compared to wingers like Giggs and Figo he wasnt a pretty good dribbler actually. Obviously he could dribble, but it was not strength of his so he didn't build his game around it and didn't have to. Depends how good a dribbler you have to be, to be a considered a pretty good dribbler. John O'Shea nutmegged Figo.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Compared to wingers like Giggs and Figo he wasnt a pretty good dribbler actually. Obviously he could dribble, but it was not strength of his so he didn't build his game around it and didn't have to. Depends how good a dribbler you have to be, to be a considered a pretty good dribbler. John O'Shea nutmegged Figo.
No go watch him again. When he decided to dribble Beckham would beat at least two men on the go, it did not happen often as he was an expert early crosser but whenever he got in and around the box he had deft touches in him.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I think Beckham is very affected by this.

His myriad medals, trophies and multi-millions as well as being considered one of the best looking dudes on earth mean nothing now that a bunch of nobodies have posted on Twitter.

Gehrman

No go watch him again. When he decided to dribble Beckham would beat at least two men on the go, it did not happen often as he was an expert early crosser but whenever he got in and around the box he had deft touches in him.
I did watch beckham actually and I would still say he was a competent dribbler, but compared to the other world class attacking players of his generation his dribbling ability was nothing special. Just my opinion anyway.

Compare him to Figo who was probably the only right winger in world better than him. And then you had Giggs on the left who was also far more natural in that regard. Like I said, I think he was competent, but it was nothing special.

GifLord

I did watch beckham actually and I would still say he was a competent dribbler, but compared to the other world class attacking players of his generation his dribbling ability was nothing special. Just my opinion anyway.

Compare him to Figo who was probably the only right winger in world better than him. And then you had Giggs on the left who was also far more natural in that regard. Like I said, I think he was competent, but it was nothing special.

Figo actually played as a proper winger when he was at Barca he was much further up the field than Beckham ever was.

Gehrman

Figo actually played as a proper winger when he was at Barca he was much further up the field than Beckham ever was.
Well yeah, Beckham was really more of a right midfielder because he didn't have the speed and dribbling of a traditional winger, but his passing, vision and crossing was so good he didn't need to get to end of the pich. But really compare him to the wide players of his generation in terms of dribbling. Steve Mcmanaman, Giggs, Figo, C. Ronaldo, Overmars, Ginola, Pires, Ronaldinho etc.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I keep reading that Beckham never played as a right winger. Where the hell did that come from? Am I imagining all the times he whipped in crosses from the by-line?

This idea that Beckham never engaged in 1v1 duels with full backs. Again where did this come from?

Beckham was notorious for running the line. He was up that right hand side week in week out. Beckham made the bleep test look like PE under a substitute teacher. He and Red Nev worked that right hand side constantly. Getting forward and then doubling up in defensive transitions.

Please just watch any compilation of Becks' Man Utd assists and tell me Becks didn't regularly stand up full backs. This talk is madness.

Deportivo literally kicked Beckham out of a Champions League tie cos they couldn't stop him otherwise. What were some of you lot watching?

Hoof the ball

Beckham would have thrived in the modern three-midfield system at his peak. With his workrate, vision and shooting ability, not only would have be able to hit all his crosses, but he'd have a much bigger central influence in terms of passing and scoring from open play.

Beckham never got nutmegged by John O’Shea.

Stupid thread.

Beckham was, and I think still is the record cap holder for an Outfield player, and was a great captain.

Thats not to say TAA is a fantastic talent, but we have seen people more talented that have fallen by the wayside.

Come back in 5 years.

Gehrman

I keep reading that Beckham never played as a right winger. Where the hell did that come from? Am I imagining all the times he whipped in crosses from the by-line?

This idea that Beckham never engaged in 1v1 duels with full backs. Again where did this come from?

Beckham was notorious for running the line. He was up that right hand side week in week out. Beckham made the bleep test look like PE under a substitute teacher. He and Red Nev worked that right hand side constantly. Getting forward and then doubling up in defensive transitions.

Please just watch any compilation of Becks' Man Utd assists and tell me Becks didn't regularly stand up full backs. This talk is madness.

Deportivo literally kicked Beckham out of a Champions League tie cos they couldn't stop him otherwise. What were some of you lot watching?
You're right it's a bit daft.

GifLord

Position wise he never played right winger.
Right Midfielder and Right Winger isn't the same thing

Giggs, Figo, Overmars were wingers (players much further up the field)
Beckham was a side midfielder/right midfielder who ran down the right side - up and down(tracking back)

Last edited:

Luke1995

98/99 wasn't even his best season based on stats.

EPL only

98/99 34 App 6 Goals 11 Assists
99/00 31 App 6 Goals 15 Assists
00/01 31 App 9 Goals 12 Assists
01/02 28 App 11 Goals 8 Assists
02/03 31App 6 Goals 8 Assists
Wow his numbers there are pretty consistent

Untd55

I know people are saying that Becham is underrated, but I do think people in this thread are starting to overrate him. Some people are saying his crosses are much better than Alexander-Arnold's crosses. Really? There is actually a limit to how good a cross can be and judging by the number of assists he has from crosses, I would say Arnold is pretty much at the pinnacle of crossing ability. Hell, the guy has 13 assists and 12 assists the season before in the Premier League from right back.

I noticed someone mentioned that Becham was superior in stamina. Again, I highly doubt that. Arnold plays the vast majority of their games, completing the full 90 minutes most of the time. With the intensity that Liverpool have pressed in previous seasons, there is no way he is any lesser in the stamina department.

In terms of freekicks, Becham is above him because he has taken more. Arnold, though, has some quality with scoring from freekicks. He certainly has the ability in this area to be able to match Beckham in this department.

In terms of defending, Beckham seems to be being made out to be the master of all areas, a bit. Beckham was good for a winger, but to say he is better than Arnold is absolute nonsense. There is far more defensive responsibility on a right-wing back than on a right midfielder, who had Gary Neville behind him. Arnold is expected to fill both attack and defensive roles of the wingback position (arguably, the most physically demanding position on the pitch). Arnold may not be the best defensively, but he is still very good at it.

Regardless, the comparison is nonsense anyway as you are comparing a winger/side-midfielder to a wing-back.

GifLord

I know people are saying that Becham is underrated, but I do think people in this thread are starting to overrate him. Some people are saying his crosses are much better than Alexander-Arnold's crosses. Really? There is actually a limit to how good a cross can be and judging by the number of assists he has from crosses, I would say Arnold is pretty much at the pinnacle of crossing ability. Hell, the guy has 13 assists and 12 assists the season before in the Premier League from right back.

I noticed someone mentioned that Becham was superior in stamina. Again, I highly doubt that. Arnold plays the vast majority of their games, completing the full 90 minutes most of the time. With the intensity that Liverpool have pressed in previous seasons, there is no way he is any lesser in the stamina department.

In terms of freekicks, Becham is above him because he has taken more. Arnold, though, has some quality with scoring from freekicks. He certainly has the ability in this area to be able to match Beckham in this department.

In terms of defending, Beckham seems to be being made out to be the master of all areas, a bit. Beckham was good for a winger, but to say he is better than Arnold is absolute nonsense. There is far more defensive responsibility on a right-wing back than on a right midfielder, who had Gary Neville behind him. Arnold is expected to fill both attack and defensive roles of the wingback position (arguably, the most physically demanding position on the pitch). Arnold may not be the best defensively, but he is still very good at it.

Regardless, the comparison is nonsense anyway as you are comparing a winger/side-midfielder to a wing-back.
He was he had an incredible stamina - his beep score was ridiciliusly high
At one point he was averaging 14km per match in the PL
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2001/oct/14/sport.englandundersven

Vo2 Elite Athletes

Last edited:

Position wise he never played right winger.
Right Midfielder and Right Winger isn't the same thing

Giggs, Figo, Overmars were wingers (players much further up the field)
Beckham was a side midfielder/right midfielder who ran down the right side - up and down(tracking back)
You are talking about right wingers like they are inside forwards. In the 1990s everyone in England played 442 and everyone called the guy on the flank a winger. You might define it differently but anyone reading Shoot or Match in the 90s would have seen him called a winger.

PS) Giggs did as much defensive work as Beckham and had a much better slide tackle.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Threads like this should be banned. You are just giving idiots like that journalist a platform to even consider this as a debate.

What's next, is Alisson the best keeper ever? Is Wijnaldum better than Giggs? Is Robertson better than Irwin? They won a league in one of worst quality seasons ever, team winning the league isn't something that happens once in 2000 years, every year some team wins it and it doesn't mean one single premierleague title make them better than any previous team in history.

bsCallout

Possibly our most underrated player.

I can't believe the comparison. I say that as someone who thinks TAA is great with the ball.

Untd55

He was he had an incredible stamina - his beep score was ridiciliusly high
At one point he was averaging 14km per match in the PL
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2001/oct/14/sport.englandundersven
I didn't say he was worse, but I cannot see him being any better than Arnold. The average distance covered doesn't say a lot as it depends on how a team plays e.g. how long a team is camped in the opposition half per game; how much possession do they dominate; how much of that distance covered is sprinting or just running. For me, how many 90 minute games they complete is a far more indicative and useful factor to determine stamina.

They both played the majority of their games, completing the full 90 minutes. That is what is needed. They both filled the requirements.

macheda14

Most have said that TAA’s defending leaves a fair bit to be desired. In a modern day system Beckham could easily play as a right back.

GifLord

You are talking about right wingers like they are inside forwards. In the 1990s everyone in England played 442 and everyone called the guy on the flank a winger. You might define it differently but anyone reading Shoot or Match in the 90s would have seen him called a winger.

PS) Giggs did as much defensive work as Beckham and had a much better slide tackle.
i know they called him a winger back then but he wasn't a proper winger
Even transfermarkt has him as a Right Midfielder while Figo is labeled as a Right Winger despite some here saying they played the same position

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Definitely recency bias, but also a criminal underrating of Beckham which has always existed, alongside an overrating of the current Liverpool side.

TAA is a brilliant player and may go on to be as good as Beckham, but don’t see the point in comparing them yet, or at all probably.

Even transfermarkt has him as a Right Midfielder while Figo is labeled as a Right Winger despite some here saying they played the same position
That's fine but I am guessing transfermarkt has labelled Giggs a left winger not a left midfielder, when Giggs and Irwin worked pretty much identically to Beckham and Neville. If Beckham wasn't a winger then neither was Giggs for most of his career. Giggs pretty much never played in a wholly offensive capacity for United. For much of his career we played 442 or 4411, and he was expected to track back and double up. 'The graveyard shift' as that generation calls it.

GifLord

That's fine but I am guessing transfermarkt has labelled Giggs a left winger not a left midfielder, when Giggs and Irwin worked pretty much identically to Beckham and Neville. If Beckham wasn't a winger then neither was Giggs for most of his career. Giggs pretty much never played in a wholly offensive capacity for United. For much of his career we played 442 or 4411, and he was expected to track back and double up. 'The graveyard shift' as that generation calls it.
He's labeled as a Left Midfielder but could play as a LW.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
TAA is not as good as as Beckham was at his peak. I think they are pretty comparable at the same age though. When Beckham was TAA's age, he was wrapping up his first season as a first team regular and had only just made his England debut.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I didn't say he was worse, but I cannot see him being any better than Arnold. The average distance covered doesn't say a lot as it depends on how a team plays e.g. how long a team is camped in the opposition half per game; how much possession do they dominate; how much of that distance covered is sprinting or just running. For me, how many 90 minute games they complete is a far more indicative and useful factor to determine stamina.

They both played the majority of their games, completing the full 90 minutes. That is what is needed. They both filled the requirements.
Did you seen him live? Or at least on tv when he's with us? Aka how old are you?

Cause it seems like you just cant believe he's that good.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Transfermarkt isn't a great source for this. They have to generalise. The difference between Figo's and Beckham's roles wasn't as drastic as you seem to paint it – Figo was generally a bit more fluid (due to him being comfortable on either side & centrally) and a bit more attacking, but not by that much. Beckham, Giggs, Figo, Overmars, Barnes etc. – they were all wingers, some more attacking, some more defensive, but they all had played in generally the same role.

The real difference is between wide forwards, like peak Cristiano, Stoichkov, Blokhin, even Rivaldo at some point, and wingers. Figo was not that, even in his younger days.