David de Gea | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

kietotheworld

oooo then I guess we can blame de Gea's few errors this season on him being unhappy with the way the media treat him
You can blame it on whatever you like, the weather, poor refereeing, media pressure, Lindegaard, his star sign, what matters is the solution to the problem. If Reina's problem is that he's unhappy at Liverpool then moving to United would solve it, if De Gea's problem is playing badly media pressure then the only way to solve it is to leave, or spend a few years as another goalkeeper's understudy. If media pressure makes him play worse then it will be self perpetuating, as the worse he plays the more the media will be on his back.

Pepe Reina: plays poorly when he's unhappy about his team not doing very well.

Still better than De Gea.
Pretty much sums it up.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
My opinion hasn't changed since day 1. He's rough around the edges but has all the qualities to go on to be world class, at which point he'll return to Spain.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
We should just re-sign JOS, he was the best whipping boy we've had.
No more Berb this season. Evra has been playing well. feck it, that RVP hasn't been scoring enough for my liking.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Another stupid article on the telegraph

Here's one part I found quite funny:

De Gea’s footwork is regarded as one of his assets, with his clean kicking and distribution central to his initial recruitment, but he has also shown a worrying inclination to deal with balls in the six-yard box with his legs, rather than smothering the ball, and this unusual characteristic, combined with his poor communication, has added to the lack of confidence of his defenders.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...de-Gea-with-Iker-Casillas-on-their-radar.html

Then he links us with Casillas, who is not exactly an expert at dealing with high balls and would no doubt get crucified here for his tendency to punch almost every cross that comes in to the box.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Was looking through the treble winning season review on youtube(watched up till the Middlesboro cup game) and Schmeichel made some howlers in the first half of the season.

Also people tend to forget Schmeichel made some howlers in his early United career. Much bigger howlers than De Gea has made. Of course when Schemichel is retire, like any great player he is portrayed by media an fans alike as having infallible career.

I'm always right

That Schmeichel vid is a good reminder for some fans. I thought DDG was excellent at the weekend and was MOTM for me, even the "mistake" wasn't that bad a mistake, he probably should've gone at it a little harder but he was so unlucky that it landed directly at Lennon's feet.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
The press in this country are a disgrace the way they've hounded him right from the start.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This thread would be like half the size it is without kie's wind ups.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Tough ask, but...DDG. Though not necessarily because of inferior ability and/or potential.

Chabon

Football doesn't really matter in any meaningful way, and yet I genuinely hope that Mark Ogden slips over on his way to stealing a living tomorrow and fractures his skull. I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
See, I really like Danny, but I'd definitely sell him. Without even blinking tbh.

DDG is our No1 choice right now. Danny is our 4th choice striker. The amount of 'promising possibly-will-be-one-day-world-class TM' forwards is a far wider market than the amount of 'promising possibly-will-be-one-day world-class TM' goalkeepers. Not to mention that the peak for a forward is his mid to late 20s, whilst for a keeper it's his early to mid 30s.

There's really no rational contest.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The press in this country are a disgrace the way they've hounded him right from the start.
Was listening to Talksport a few minutes ago and they had a journalist on basically saying that he was finished at United. ''Fergie has lost faith with him and has decided to look elsewhere.''

I'd laugh if it didn't annoy me so much.

manutddjw

We need to remember that De Gea was brought up in Spanish football where the type of physicality on every cross into the box is nowhere near the level it is in England and where catching the ball is a skill that alot of Spanish goalkeepers don't have. Iker Casillas is widely regarded as the best goalkeeper in the world, and if we signed him tommorow, he to would struggle with the things De Gea has struggled with as well.

De Gea makes mistakes, but theres no doubt in my mind that he's our keeper for the future and he has shown signs of improvement. Like all young players, there needs to be patience with them because they will make mistakes, but we should tolerate them when the player is worth it, like Ronaldo was in his early years and De Gea is now.

SteveJ

Scout
Well, it could become a self-fulfilling prophecy, this attitude in the media that DDG must go; we don't know SAF's thoughts after all. It would be a helluva shame though...I wouldn't swap him for any other 'keeper (though I'm almost certainly in the minority).

Chabon

I've yet to hear a convincing technical explanation as to how De Gea actually made a mistake. He supposedly should have punched the ball further away...but how? Should he have stronger wrists?

SteveJ

Scout
I've yet to hear a convincing technical explanation as to how De Gea actually made a mistake. He supposedly should have punched the ball further away...but how? Should he have stronger wrists?
Yes. Apparently he should also be a shouty bighead like Schmeichel & Hart, so defenders and attackers alike fear him...even though he probably makes fewer glaring errors than those two.

Chabon

It's like people think he deliberately punched the ball with less force than he could have. Don't get me wrong, I hate it when he punches when he should catch (including a really fecking annoying one yesterday) but punching it was all he could do yesterday (the alternative being letter Caulker climb over Vidic and head the ball in) and he got up at the exact right moment and punched it as hard as he physically could. What the feck else was he supposed to do, magically become stronger?

SteveJ

Scout
Truth is, he didn't want to risk dropping the ball or having it knocked out of his grasp in such a crucial area; if anything, he took the sensible option, I think...though for some it was evidence of 'dodgy foreigner syndrome'.

SteveJ

Scout
That's stress, mate. He looked like a white David Haye, before he joined us.

Status
Not open for further replies.