David de Gea | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Neviller

He could have parried it back out wide towards the guy who shot it at him, or in that vague direction, or up in the air in the direction he sent it in real life to give the other defenders a chance to get back.
I've never seen a goalkeeper deal with a shot aimed in the direction that shot was by doing either of the things you've suggested. How many times have you seen the goal.

kietotheworld

I do rate him, I think he's a pretty good goalkeeper, but one who is clearly a work in progress. I might rate him less than the average person on this forum, but the way he's rated on this forum is completely out of touch with how he's rated in the rest of the world. One can't even suggest an area where he might be able to improve or suggest the guy being picked ahead of him is actually better than him without copping ridiculous amounts of abuse for it.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
The criticism of De Gea on the goal today is mindless, wummish stupidity.

Criticism must be directed at Evra and Evans, each of whom missed their man on the play. That said, Evra and Evans were both very good overall.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
MOTD now saying he should've done better. No matter what happens, blame de Gea

kietotheworld

Who do you guys think is more likely to have a bias or agenda for or against De Gea? A neutral commentator or fans of that goalkeeper's team?

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Who do you guys think is more likely to have a bias or agenda for or against De Gea? A neutral commentator or fans of that goalkeeper's team?
No football pundit is neutral. The flukey foreign goalkeeper narrative is always thrown at him, because it sells papers.

NinjaFletch

Why would we excuse goalkeepers mistakes when they cost us?

The fault with Swansea's goal lies mostly with Evra, and partly with the 3 United players who stood watching Michu react quickest.

Gazza

... making this forum pointless? We might as well leave all the opinions to MOTD pundits, since ours are all part of an agenda.

Seriously, to pick up on DDG's part in the goal among all the other elements of the match to do first is pretty hard to explain away.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
More like the press who hate Fergie. Just take your pick out of the usual superstar wannabes on sunday supplement.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
How on earth anyone can blame DDG for that goal is beyond me. Actually I know who can blame him, the people who havent played in goal their whole life because they were either too greedy for the goals or because they were too fat to actually dive.

kietotheworld

No football pundit is neutral. The flukey foreign goalkeeper narrative is always thrown at him, because it sells papers.
:lol: Why would a match of the day commentator want to sell newspapers?

Why would we excuse goalkeepers mistakes when they cost us?

The fault with Swansea's goal lies mostly with Evra, and partly with the 3 United players who stood watching Michu react quickest.
Because you are deluded. In psychology it's known as cognitive dissonance, you don't believe he's costing us because you have an affection for him as a United player. The same way Liverpool fans genuinely believed Suarez was innocent, the same way they still claim Gerrard is world class and so on. The rest of the world can see it's bollocks, but they still believe it.
... making this forum pointless? We might as well leave all the opinions to MOTD pundits, since ours are all part of an agenda.

Seriously, to pick up on DDG's part in the goal among all the other elements of the match to do first is pretty hard to explain away.
Actually it's pretty easy to explain, he thought he could have done better - like I did - so he mentioned it.
More like the press who hate Fergie. Just take your pick out of the usual superstar wannabes on sunday supplement.
Conspiracy then, got it.

How on earth anyone can blame DDG for that goal is beyond me. Actually I know who can blame him, the people who havent played in goal their whole life because they were either too greedy for the goals or because they were too fat to actually dive.
I've played in goal, (although why you'd hold him to amateur standards is beyond me) thought he could have done better.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It seems like not saving De Guzman's shot in the first place would have been the best option for De Gea. It was a powerful shot from a close range so no one would have blamed him for being unprepared for it, and there would have been no rebound.

Sarni

Anyway, I suppose when he parries a shot he assumes that defenders will be there to clear it ahead of opposition players. That's their job and it's infinitely easier for them to attempt a clearance than for a goalkeeper to specifically pick a place where he's going to send the ball when he gets his hands on it - more often than not his choices will be very limited and he'll have to do it in a fraction of a second.

It's hard to blame anyone but defenders for the goal. Even more so as it happened in the six yard box, it was predictable that De Gea would send the ball exactly there and they should have anticipated it.

Gazza

Actually it's pretty easy to explain, he thought he could have done better - like I did - so he mentioned it.
Ohh, you're clever

It is hard to understand why someone mentions a goalkeeping error that doesn't even exist above all other incidents/tactical developments in a game. Easier to understand if you have a warped grasp of football, I'll give you that.

Gazza

It seems like not saving De Guzman's shot in the first place would have been the best option for De Gea. It was a powerful shot from a close range so no one would have blamed him for being unprepared for it, and there would have been no rebound.
:lol: Especially funny because it sums up the retarded logic K and his MOTD mates are using.

RK

I'm going with the popular opinion.
I'll leave you in the company of Robbie savage, Facebook football fans and that drunk bloke down the pub then.

People on here care enough about united to properly analyse the situation.

You may have seen keepers parry it in another direction, but randomness plays a huge part. The skill was in the save, what happens after is fairly uncontrollable at that range.

kietotheworld

I'll leave you in the company of Robbie savage, Facebook football fans and that drunk bloke down the pub then.

People on here care enough about united to properly analyse the situation.

You may have seen keepers parry it in another direction, but randomness plays a huge part. The skill was in the save, what happens after is fairly uncontrollable at that range.
If you honestly believe that Manchester United fans are the best people to accurately judge Manchester United players then there's not much point in continuing with this conversation.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
I honestly didn't even have the slightest idea that this thread would be discussing wether he was at fault for today's goal, didn't even crosss my mind. He wasnt to blame at all IMO.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I can't blame him for the goal. The shot was blasted at him and he did fairly well to keep the initial one out. I'd be looking at the defence who dropped the ball on tracking the run than the keeper. The initial run and shot really could have been handled better by them and then after that our other defenders didn't track Michu to well, so when Vidic had to scramble across to cover the player running through Evans could have been a bit closer to him.

DDG had a good game I thought. Made some decent saves that I would expect him to and collected high balls well again. Its far to harsh to lay the blame for the goal at his feet this time.

Phil

I honestly didn't even have the slightest idea that this thread would be discussing wether he was at fault for today's goal, didn't even crosss my mind. He wasnt to blame at all IMO.
If you see this thread bumped after a game, someone (kie) is blaming him for something. Whether he conceded or not.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Obviously we should've signed the Scottish bloke that MoronPondlife was always banging on about.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
:lol: This is laughable.

What was he supposed to do that he didn't?

If we revisit the chain of events leading up to their goal:

- Evra is tracking de Guzman, Vidic is on Michu, Evans is on Routledge
- de Guzman played onside by Vidic and Jones as Evra stands waving his arms around outside the box and doesn't go with him
- Vidic leaves his man to try and block de Guzman's shot because he's under no other pressure
- Evans has to shuffle across to track Michu but can't get there in time
- de Gea has to save a shot from a more or less unmarked player 4 metres away from him, struck across him. The shot is hit at hip level and to the side of de Gea - from such a small distance with such a firmly struck shot there's no way he can get his body behind it so there's no way he's catching it
- Michu is ahead of both Evans and Jones as the shot is parried, despite starting from behind them.

But yeah it's all de Gea's fault :rolleyes:

ravelston

:lol: This is laughable.

What was he supposed to do that he didn't?

If we revisit the chain of events leading up to their goal:

- Evra is tracking de Guzman, Vidic is on Michu, Evans is on Routledge
- de Guzman played onside by Vidic and Jones as Evra stands waving his arms around outside the box and doesn't go with him
- Vidic leaves his man to try and block de Guzman's shot because he's under no other pressure
- Evans has to shuffle across to track Michu but can't get there in time
- de Gea has to save a shot from a more or less unmarked player 4 metres away from him, struck across him. The shot is hit at hip level and to the side of de Gea - from such a small distance with such a firmly struck shot there's no way he can get his body behind it so there's no way he's catching it
- Michu is ahead of both Evans and Jones as the shot is parried, despite starting from behind them.

But yeah it's all de Gea's fault :rolleyes:
Excellent summary. It's worth bearing in mind that a well hit shot takes approximately one tenth of a second to travel 4 metres - that's less than half the average reaction time for a human. The idea that he could do anything beyond getting a hand on the ball is laughable. The expectation that he should control the direction of the parry is way beyond that.

Platato

Psst!
If he's going to parry the ball so much he needs to work on parrying it into less dangerous areas.
I think you have a point here mate but tbf, that's a hard shot to parry correctly 9 times out of 10. Considering it was point blank as well, I'd say you're being harsh on the lad. We can make this situation as theoretical as we like but at the same time, you need to recognize how hard it is to pull off that type of save in a game. And to do it consistently.

I think if he had a bit more time, he would have parried it to the side. He does it a lot actually which led me to think the shot was too quick for him.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I don't see how De Gea was supposed to be able to control the rebound from that range, he did well to save it. With the ball to his right there was really no chance of pushing it left. My man Evra was to blame for that one, sorry to say. Thank god he scored the goal to cancel it out.

Sarni

He should have caught it, any half decent keeper would catch a poweful shot from six yards.

Smores

feck sake if ppl blame DDG for that we may as well slag RvP for not anticipating Williams shot and heading it on.

Where that ball went was 95% luck, the only expectation can be on him getting something on the first shot (which he did) and defenders following up (which they didn't)

Saying the caf is bias is even more ridiculous, most here genuinely think we're average

Tooni

de gea is slightly to blame but i'm more angry that michu as allowed to get goal side in front so easy of evans i believe.
The best way to have avoided the goal was if Vidic had stepped up and avoided playing De Guzman onside. Once he got in behind it was more likely they'll score a goal than not. The shot was well struck in the sense that even if it was to be saved it's more likely to be only parried back to a dangerous position again which is exactly what De Gea did and what any other could have done except ones like Taibi who would have let it go in.

To blame either De gea or Evans who were least responsible for the that goal. I mean Evans ? Only way he could have saved the goal was if he jumped over the head of Michu and landed in front of him and did a scissors kick to clear it in the opposite direction.

Sarni

He should have parried it 50 yards downfield, with his feet.
He should have started a counter attack and if that counter attack didn't result in a goal, it would have been his fault we didn't score.

It's a bit sad that people like kie will try to spin any goal around so it makes his hated player look poorm(and he hates quite a few United players from what I gather).

Status
Not open for further replies.