David Gill interview with Rio

criticalanalysis

Think in hindsight he did a fantastic job.
The cynical or uneducated one in me thinks it's easy to say that because Fergie was the fecking GOAT and can make anyone at the club look good. When a manager is winning things, handling players and running the club with an iron fist then everyone else's job is going to be far easier.

I guess my question is, objectively speaking, what did Gill do that was above his role?

CallyRed

Just stood by and allowed that roof to leak. Unbelievable.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That's a great episode. Usually don't care for Rios podcast but that's the most interesting one I've heard out of all the football related ones. Real insight from the top in terms of how things happened that people guess at but really don't know.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Mentions the £80m in our bank, doesn't mention Obertan and Bebe.
Yeah I wish someone pushed him on that when he mentioned the Glazers never said no for a player. So you just didn't ask for anyone to replace Ronaldo and Tevez? Michael Owen, Obertan and Antonio Valencia was the peak of your aspirations?!

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The cynical or uneducated one in me thinks it's easy to say that because Fergie was the fecking GOAT and can make anyone at the club look good. When a manager is winning things, handling players and running the club with an iron fist then everyone else's job is going to be far easier.

I guess my question is, objectively speaking, what did Gill do that was above his role?
That's how I see it as well.

He didn't do a bad job, but it's hard to know whether he did a particularly good job either. Maybe he did, but Ferguson was just so good that it made it relatively easy for him.

VanTastic_

Him saying the roof was leaking even during his time in defense of the Glazers is so funny to me as it had the opposite effect, they've had at least 11 years to address it but still chose not to.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Hes the type of professional mentor I would love to have.
He was great for the club

Lj82

Him saying the roof was leaking even during his time in defense of the Glazers is so funny to me as it had the opposite effect, they've had at least 11 years to address it but still chose not to.
He didn't say that in defence of the Glaziers though. He said that in the context that there are always issues to tackle, but when you are successful on the pitch they tend to get overlooked.