Day 1 - Qatar vs Ecuador - non football discussion

Zlatattack

Hi mods, hope it's OK we have a topic to discuss non football stuff during matches?

For example - I think I've seen a load of paid fans in the stands. All very synchronised.

Also wtf - BBC didn't cover the opening ceremony.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Hi mods, hope it's OK we have a topic to discuss non football stuff during matches?

For example - I think I've seen a load of paid fans in the stands. All very synchronised.

Also wtf - BBC didn't cover the opening ceremony.
Good for the BBC, instead we were treated to an amnesty interview and discussion about migrant workers rights and listened to Shearer talk about the similarities between Qatar hosting the world cup and Saudi Arabia buying Newcastle. No sports washing for us!

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Is he in favour of them both?
“We as fans don’t get to choose where the World Cup is, just like we don’t get to choose who invests in our football clubs,” was his answer

RoyH1

I'm really hoping that those pictures of people leaving the stands early are the exception and not the norm. Give the tickets to the immigrant workers who'd probably appreciate being there more.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Not sure it needs a separate thread when there are countless threads discussing nonfootball stuff at the WC already

But ye really was ridiculous that the BBC didn't show the Opening Ceremony - I don't think it was any kind of planned protest either, just poor planning with the WSL clash

I'd much rather have seen Morgan Freeman than listen to the likes of Shearer talking about human rights

The discussion on Qatar controversies should have been aired at a different time - a proper in depth documentary in the evening would have been more suitable

Fluctuation0161

Not sure it needs a separate thread when there are countless threads discussing nonfootball stuff at the WC already

But ye really was ridiculous that the BBC didn't show the Opening Ceremony - I don't think it was any kind of planned protest either, just poor planning with the WSL clash

I'd much rather have seen Morgan Freeman than listen to the likes of Shearer talking about human rights

The discussion on Qatar controversies should have been aired at a different time - a proper in depth documentary in the evening would have been more suitable
Disagree. I think it was good they gave context. Plenty of time for people to get into the football now.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Tbf to the BBC, they did show the opening ceremony on iPlayer. The reason why it wasn't shown on the main channels was because the opening ceremony and the Qatar match was brought forward a day earlier and there was conflicting with the women's football match that was on at the same time.

Oranges038

15$ for a pint of Budweiser in the Fan fest area. :eek:
They have to recoup the lost money from the stadiums somehow.

In fairness you'd be better off going out to the desert for a few days and drinking your own piss than drinking any of that ditch water.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
What's the argument behind beer being ok in Fanfest areas but not stadiums? No tv cameras to see the despicable product?
A source briefed on the decision told Sky News:

"These have been long-term discussions, and the overall feeling from everyone involved was that the stadiums need to be for everyone.

This World Cup is different to others in that a larger number of fans are attending from across the Middle East and South Asia, where alcohol doesn't play such a large role in the culture. The thinking was that, for many fans, the presence of alcohol would not create an enjoyable experience.

"The fan zones will be different in that some are clearly designated as alcohol-serving, while others are alcohol-free. Fans can decide where they want to go without feeling uncomfortable. At stadiums, this was previously not the case."

https://news.sky.com/story/qatar-world-cup-beer-could-be-banned-from-all-stadiums-12750052

68cob

“We as fans don’t get to choose where the World Cup is, just like we don’t get to choose who invests in our football clubs,” was his answer
Cheers. He's such a boring, toe the line tosser.