Day 15: Netherlands vs Czech Republic | Belgium vs Portugal (Ro16 3&4)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

---------------------------------------------------------------

Match 40
Sunday 27 June, 18.00 CET @ Puskás Aréna, Budapest
Round of 16
Ref: Sergei Karasev (Russia)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Match 39
Sunday 27 June, 21.00 CET @ La Cartuja, Seville
Round of 16
Ref: Felix Brych (Germany)​

Last edited:

marktan

Belgium top their group and get Portugal.. whilst also in the R16 you have Sweden Vs Ukraine and Wales Vs Denmark.

That group F has been a joke from start to finish

onemanarmy

Belgium top their group and get Portugal.. whilst also in the R16 you have Sweden Vs Ukraine and Wales Vs Denmark.

Yeah, terrible draw for us. I said from the beginning Portugal would be the favorites for the tournament, 1/8 final en we draw them. ffs.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Holland-Czech. Ref: Sergei Karasev (Russia)
Belgium-Portugal. Ref: Felix Brych (Germany)

Gonçalo Motta

Struggling to pick a winner out of Belgium and Portugal.
Portugal usually comes on top from that matchup but you never know. Both teams are stacked

It's funny because in theory Belgium playing against the 3rd place of a group should be an easy matchup. Until you realize that is the 3rd from the group F so it's pretty much the same thing as playing against a team that topped their group.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yeah, terrible draw for us. I said from the beginning Portugal would be the favorites for the tournament, 1/8 final en we draw them. ffs.
Don’t see your reasons to be afraid. 2 more days of rest, last game half your team was rested against Finland, your tatical lineup as you saw has a great probability of creating the same problems as Germany, etc.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
We will go through easily I expect. If not, our team should be banished to St Helena.

I expect (and hope) Belgium will prevail too. Vastly prefer their style over Portugal and I will always have a soft spot for our silly little brethren pretending to be a country.

KC91

Belgium-Portugal is a very interesting matchup.

Both teams have relatively weak defences compared to the quality in the rest of their squads. Should make for an exciting match.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Belgium-Portugal is a very interesting matchup.

Both teams have relatively weak defences compared to the quality in the rest of their squads. Should make for an exciting match.
Both teams know their own defenses are shit and will sit back. I think a 120 minute 0-0 is more likely than an exciting match.

Dias is brilliant and Pepe has been okay this tournament. The problem's mostly with their fullbacks and Belgium's strength isn't on the wings, but in Lukaku and De Bruyne. Belgium has shit defenders on paper, but they looked solid in groups.

I'm rooting for Belgium because they haven't won a tournament since Jean-Claude Van Damme at the 1988 Kumite in Hong Kong.

0le

Two tasty fixtures. Fingers crossed we continue to get some good games.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Both teams know their own defenses are shit and will sit back. I think a 120 minute 0-0 is more likely than an exciting match.

Dias is brilliant and Pepe has been okay this tournament. The problem's mostly with their fullbacks and Belgium's strength isn't on the wings, but in Lukaku and De Bruyne. Belgium has shit defenders on paper, but they looked solid in groups.

I'm rooting for Belgium because they haven't won a tournament since Jean-Claude Van Damme at the 1988 Kumite in Hong Kong.
:lol:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Pepe has been better than Dias this tournament.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Hope we take not of Italy nearly being upset by Austria and realize we wont just nudge Czech aside. Though I think Austria is a bit stronger than them.

Feck, Im nervous already.

Jean claude van hire

love this :drool:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Lukaku going to run over portugal

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Lukaku going to run over portugal
Portugal will not give Lukaku time. Kdb from edge of the box most dangerous in my opinion. Lukaku, hazard will create enough space for kdb though.Jota will get good game especially against slow Belgium defense.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Farily comfortable win for the Netherlands. The later game is going to be a tight game, and I don't think it's going to be a particualrly good one, either. Going 1-0 Belgium.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Netherlands aren’t rock solid at the back, they play to their attacking strength which can leave them vulnerable. Czech Republic carry some threat so I don’t expect it to be as one sided as people think but Netherlands will eventually prevail. Portugal will stand firm against Belgium and pick their moments, Portugal for the win.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Netherlands aren’t rock solid at the back, they play to their attacking strength which can leave them vulnerable. Czech Republic carry some threat so I don’t expect it to be as one sided as people think but Netherlands will eventually prevail. Portugal will stand firm against Belgium and pick their moments, Portugal for the win.
Strange, but true. We have 2 fantastic cb's with De Ligt and De Vrij, but the way even Macedonia cut through us, was alarming. We don't really play to our attacking strength though if you ask me. We cede possession and try to counter, which is a rather big cultural shock to how we usually play.

There are no easy matches in the ko stages as Italy showed us, but we have the easiest opponent of all and we should win convincingly or hang our heads in shame.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Yes czechs created better chances than england in their last game. They always carried that aerial presence in box. Netherlands need to be careful and Czechs not pushovers.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Strange, but true. We have 2 fantastic cb's with De Ligt and De Vrij, but the way even Macedonia cut through us, was alarming. We don't really play to our attacking strength though if you ask me. We cede possession and try to counter, which is a rather big cultural shock to how we usually play.

There are no easy matches in the ko stages as Italy showed us, but we have the easiest opponent of all and we should win convincingly or hang our heads in shame.
You know, I've changed my mind on this actually. The way you play is fine, it's what allows your attack to blow teams away. It should still work against the czechs

Denmark will be a good test though, they can beat you

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
You know, I've changed my mind on this actually. The way you play is fine, it's what allows your attack to blow teams away. It should still work against the czechs

Denmark will be a good test though, they can beat you
Yeah, they play like a team possessed. As for us, I'm starting to get used to the reactive style and think with Malen for Weghorst, it's quite effective now. Memphis and Malen are kind of like a poor man's Benzema and Mbappe.

Lyng

As a Dane I hope Netherlands go through. We are much better against teams that want to play football

Lyng

Yeah, they play like a team possessed. As for us, I'm starting to get used to the reactive style and think with Malen for Weghorst, it's quite effective now. Memphis and Malen are kind of like a poor man's Benzema and Mbappe.
Quite frankly Memphis and Male seem much hungrier than Benzema and Mbappe. Especially Benzema has been quite shite

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Quite frankly Memphis and Male seem much hungrier than Benzema and Mbappe. Especially Benzema has been quite shite
Indeed, the French seem almost uninterested so far. Still, Malen is no Mbappe :)

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I am a bit curious about how the crowd will behave in Budapest for the latter game. Can see some game stoppages incoming if they conduct themselves in the same way they had towards Mbappe.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Boril is supsended and Darida is out for the Czech. Malen starting instead of Weghorst for the Dutch.

Raredaredevil

I'm now live at the Puskas Arena. Football isn't the same without a full house capacity. The atmosphere is electrifying.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Malen and Depay looked like a more natural partnership, don't think The Netherlands play in a way that really suited Weghorst.

That Czech midfield will have gaps in it.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Kalas put lot of weight after he moved from chelsea. Gave chelsea one of the most memorable game. Of course that slippy G game.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I can see Belgium vs Portugal going to extra time. Expect it to be a very close game.