Day 16: Croatia vs Spain | France vs Switzerland (Ro16 5&6)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

---------------------------------------------------------------

Match 42
Monday 28 June, 18.00 CET @ Parken Stadium, Copenhagen
Round of 16
Ref: cnut Çakır (Turkey)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Match 41
Monday 28 June, 21.00 CET @ Arena Națională, Bucharest
Round of 16
Ref: Fernando Rapallini (Argentina)​

Last edited:

RoyH1

I have a feeling that France-Switzerland will be a borefest. Fully expect the Swiss to sit back with 10 men and France unsuccessfully trying to attack with no space. All of it solved by a header from the substitute Giroud in the 83rd minute

Avion

Supports
Attractive Football
I would like to see a France - Spain clash and think it is the most likely outcome. I think Spain started rather weak but they are in their shooting gear now and I expect them to dismantle Croatia.

Of course if we could get a Swiss vs Croatia banger I wouldn't be sad either. Surprises are always nice. :)

Swiss_Red89

I have a feeling that France-Switzerland will be a borefest. Fully expect the Swiss to sit back with 10 men and France unsuccessfully trying to attack with no space. All of it solved by a header from the substitute Giroud in the 83rd minute
You haven't seen us play a lot in the past few years then. We try to play our game even against the topteams. We can't defend, so we would be Idiots to sit back and let France come at us. I can see us have the ball much more than expected and France troubeling us on the counter.

I just organised the trip to bukarest (Tickets, Flights and Hotel) with a few mates, can't wait for this.:devil:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Croatia-Spain. Ref: cnut Çakır (Turkey)
France-Swiss. Ref: Fernando Rapallini (Argentina)

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Last edited:

NoPace

My initial take looking at the lineups is that Lemar should maybe play for Tolisso because I'm not sure what you're getting out of that left side otherwise, but they can do that in the 2nd half if it's the boring 0-0 many expect.

Also, might be a game to drop Embolo for someone better at linking up since France don't really press high anyways and I'm not sure he'll get as much change out of Varane as he did against the CBs he's played. Zuber is pretty versatile and in form. He'll probably come off the bench along with Mbabu and Zakaria which is actually a nice bit of mobility to bring on so they don't get smashed late like the similarly weaker in depth Austrians did against Italy. The other option I guess is Vargas, who I haven't seen much of but might be able to take on whoever is at LB for France when he goes to that side.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
My initial take looking at the lineups is that Lemar should maybe play for Tolisso because I'm not sure what you're getting out of that left side otherwise, but they can do that in the 2nd half if it's the boring 0-0 many expect.

Also, might be a game to drop Embolo for someone better at linking up since France don't really press high anyways and I'm not sure he'll get as much change out of Varane as he did against the CBs he's played. Zuber is pretty versatile and in form. He'll probably come off the bench along with Mbabu and Zakaria which is actually a nice bit of mobility to bring on so they don't get smashed late like the similarly weaker in depth Austrians did against Italy. The other option I guess is Vargas, who I haven't seen much of but might be able to take on whoever is at LB for France when he goes to that side.
Not a bad shout. I’d like to see Coman as well... I just think they need some width against smaller sides otherwise it’ll be a total grind fest again.

Been really impressed with the tactical intelligence of the smaller sides in the knockouts.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Yep, Perisic is 100% out. Ffs!!!!
He did score 2 goals, but his overall game is lacking edge big time. Against Scotland he was completely invisible whole first half, and apart from scoring from towering header he didn't do much for the rest od the match.

We have options, Vlašić can play inverted winger, we have Oršić as more traditional winger, Rebić plays there for Milan, Brekalo is in the picture as well, even Kramarić can play from the left side, so don't see Perišić absence as such big deal.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Spain will beat Croatia no doubt. Spain just start to get their stride. Croatia will chase the shadow for sure. With ageing Modric they will be limited to shots from long range and set pieces.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Spain will beat Croatia no doubt. Spain just start to get their stride. Croatia will chase the shadow for sure. With ageing Modric they will be limited to shots from long range and set pieces.
Sadly this is true. We don't have neither good individuals or team play like we used to have in past. Everything we've managed so far was due to rare moments of brilliance from Modrić- take him out and our whole team is non-existent.

Spain is just getting started and although they are nowhere near quality wise to their past teams, still they're better than us.

Of course I hope we do manage to surprise them, after all in 1 match everything is possible, but just can't see that happening with these players, manager and our team set-up.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Sadly this is true. We don't have neither good individuals or team play like we used to have in past. Everything we've managed so far was due to rare moments of brilliance from Modrić- take him out and our whole team is non-existent.

Spain is just getting started and although they are nowhere near quality wise to their past teams, still they're better than us.

Of course I hope we do manage to surprise them, after all in 1 match everything is possible, but just can't see that happening with these players, manager and our team set-up.
The beauty of knock out game is the surprise element. But without luck I just think Spain have too much. Kovacic is a frustrating footballer who can do everything but not just good enough to announce to the world he is arrived.

Very disappointed with him at chelsea now for Croatia too.When he won player of the season for chelsea I hoped he would kick on.Of course he is very good footballer but just not decisive to affect the results. He just can't score and be decisive in matches to reduce pressure on Modric.

PoTMS

Any Copenhagen residents on here? You can go see Croatia v Spain for a bargain 50 euro (for Cat 1 tickets!) off the UEFA ticketing portal.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
According to the french press:

Lloris : Varane, Lenglet, Kimpembe - Pavard, Pogba, Kanté, Hernandez - Griezmann - Benzema, Mbappé

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Switzerland

Shaqiri, Seferovic, Embolo
Widmer ------ Freuler------Xhaka------Zuber
Elvedi------ Akanji ------ Rodriguez
Sommer​

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He did score 2 goals, but his overall game is lacking edge big time. Against Scotland he was completely invisible whole first half, and apart from scoring from towering header he didn't do much for the rest od the match.

We have options, Vlašić can play inverted winger, we have Oršić as more traditional winger, Rebić plays there for Milan, Brekalo is in the picture as well, even Kramarić can play from the left side, so don't see Perišić absence as such big deal.
He is our 2nd best player, ffs. He is huge loss

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Lloris : Varane, Lenglet, Kimpembe - Pavard, Pogba, Kanté, Hernandez - Griezmann - Benzema, Mbappé

Hernandez fit to play? Thought I read in the French press he was doubtful for tonight. Would be very good for you if he's actually fit enough!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Hernandez fit to play? Thought I read in the French press he was doubtful for tonight. Would be very good for you if he's actually fit enough!
Difficult to know the truth as the coach is implementing several tactical systems in the recent training sessions.

The other option could be Kimpembe as a left-back in a back 4 as the 2 left-back are potentially both unavailable

antk

L'Équipe says Rabiot as LWB, Hernandez on the bench.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
The beauty of knock out game is the surprise element. But without luck I just think Spain have too much. Kovacic is a frustrating footballer who can do everything but not just good enough to announce to the world he is arrived.

Very disappointed with him at chelsea now for Croatia too.When he won player of the season for chelsea I hoped he would kick on.Of course he is very good footballer but just not decisive to affect the results. He just can't score and be decisive in matches to reduce pressure on Modric.
10 or so years ago was a thread on Caf about future world class players, I had Kovačić as the one from Croatia while he was playing for Dinamo Zagreb. But as you've said it, he never really kicked on to become top player.

On paper he has had brilliant career, playing for biggest club in Croatia, then Inter, Real Madrid and now Chelsea, but the truth is he more of a squad player than star player. Why is that I think we'll never find out.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

What happened to Pjaca? Looked promising once upon a time

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
What happened to Pjaca? Looked promising once upon a time
Injuries have taken their toll on him, he has had ligaments torn twice in the space of a year and a half and never really recovered from it. And he was unbeliavable talent, one of those players who will always have "what if" when talking about him, such a shame.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Lenglet, is this wise?! Isn't he one of worst CBs around nowadays at top clubs.

Can see Spain-Croatia being extra time job.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Will be interesting to watch Spain now that the stakes are higher.

bosskeano

i don't expect much out of either game as croatia will have about 40% possession at best and look to play on the counter with Spain fluffing their chances in front of goal and just boring us to death with their slow passing game

Swiss will sit in a 541 to stop Mbappe from running in behind them and may have 30% possession at best. They'll try to nick it on a set piece.