Day 20: Sweden vs Switzerland and Colombia vs England

What is 'coming home'?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roon99

Swiss MUFC ticket holder! Never seen a team so defensiv against us! Cant belive we lost against this...

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Congratulations, Sweden, and well done. You’ve handled the heartbreaking loss to Germany very very well.
They beat France in the qualifiers, knocked out Italy, Switzerland. . . Did a job on Mexico.

Sweden are extremely well organised and hardworking and will be very difficult for either Colombia or England to beat.

RedDevil@84

Congrats Sweden.
Now off to the England - Columbia showdown. Hopefully England win it in 90 mins.
Though I love the Columbian female fans more.. :D

vodrake

Btw, for those of us outside the UK, what's Lawrenson saying?
When they changed the penalty call at the end to a Free Kick, he started on a rant about how wrong VAR is only to be reminded that a Free Kick was the correct decision as it was clearly outside the box, and that he himself had said it should be changed to a free kick.

He responded something like "Oh yeah, thats right. I got myself in a bit of a muddle there"

Eriku

Sweden's coach swearing up a storm in the post-match interview. Well, compared to yer average interview, I mean.

Eriku

When they changed the penalty call at the end to a Free Kick, he started on a rant about how bad VAR is only to be reminded that a Free Kick was the correct decision as it was clearly outside the box.

He responded something like "Oh yeah, thats right. I got myself in a bit of a muddle there"
Cheers. At least he acknowledged his error :lol:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Imagine if it’s Russia v Sweden in the semi finals of the World Cup. This World Cup will be memorable for the underdog but that’s taking the piss.

Lemansky

Congratulations to the Swedish guys in here!! Fantastic from your guys. Work ethic and tactically brilliant. Hopefully one day a Norwegian team will do the same.

ManUtd1999

They beat France in the qualifiers, knocked out Italy, Switzerland. . . Did a job on Mexico.

Sweden are extremely well organised and hardworking and will be very difficult for either Colombia or England to beat.
Yes. They are well organized and showed a lot of grit. Like all teams on this side of the draw, they sense a unique opportunity here and are trying to take advantage.

Canagel

Sweden defending very reminiscent of the Italian teams of old. 2 banks of four. No overcomitting. Just shuffling across as a line. Making sure to get a body behind every single shot. I'm sure they will be a tough match up for England/Colombia.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Imagine if it’s Russia v Sweden in the semi finals of the World Cup. This World Cup will be memorable for the underdog but that’s taking the piss.
Why is it taking the piss?

They would be there on merit.

Leave your football snobbery elsewhere.

Eriku

Congratulations to the Swedish guys in here!! Fantastic from your guys. Work ethic and tactically brilliant. Hopefully one day a Norwegian team will do the same.
After 18 years I'd jump at group stages and an early exit.

Haddock

Happy for Ikealand as they show real fighting spirit but they barely play anything that can be called 'football' in the conventional sense.

Loublaze

ATLien
Swedes don't have the "star" names. Vardy, Kante and Mahrez were nobody's before they won the league. They were never really an exciting team. Just very good functional team who ran their socks off without caring much about the style of football.
They weren't big stars but they had more quality than the Swedish attackers. Remember them punishing United 5-3 the season before? Mahrez and Kante weren't there, but Vardy was and he scored. Leicester were lauded then for playing exciting and fearless football (despite having to fight off relegation spots in the end). They were both functional and entertaining and they had a clear style. In the title winning season when they beat Liverpool (2-0)and City (1-3) on their own turf back to back they turned on the style. Vardy liked to play off the shoulder of the last man and into space, with Okazaki just behind him and contributing some key goals. They had a clear style, back to good old fashioned 4-4-2 with wing play and two strikers dragging players out of position! Vardy was seldom very isolated.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Sweden are a bit like the Greece of Euro 2004, only better up front.

Their defending is superb. Organisationally they are extremely well disciplined. Very diligent and hardworking. They have goal scorers . . 6 in this tournament so far.

Lemansky

After 18 years I'd jump at group stages and an early exit.
Haha! True that. I have great belief in the future though. So many good talents in the team now with Ajer and Berge particularly impressive.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Why does he give red and a pen here and not in the croatia game?
Because that's how the rules work. In the Croatia game the ref decided that the defender was trying to play the ball, whereas in this situation the defender just pushed the attacker in the back without attempting to get the ball.

Both situations would've been a red card outside the box though.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Yeeeeeesss!!!!! QF here we comeee!!!!! :devil::D

Imagine if we learn how to finish off our chances as well..

Denis' cuff

Fancy a Yorkie being called a football snob by a German?

:lol:

Anyway, take it elsewhere pal. Maybe Germany. That’s you told, good n proper ;)

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Sweden are a bit like the Greece of Euro 2004, only better up front.

Their defending is superb. Organisationally they are extremely well disciplined. Very diligent and hardworking. They have goal scorers . . 6 in this tournament so far.
Janne Anderson is a great tactician, even if those who like more offensive football don't like it.

Eriku

Haha! True that. I have great belief in the future though. So many good talents in the team now with Ajer and Berge particularly impressive.
Those two are great examples. Strong physical specimens, and mature way beyond their years. That and I fully expect Ødegaard to become something real special.

Add to that that we finally have a decent contingent of players plying their trade in good leagues (King, Moi, Johansen and Sørloth in the EPL, for one) and we finally start looking like a proper side.

RedCurry

They weren't big stars but they had more quality than the Swedish attackers. Remember them punishing United 5-3 the season before? Mahrez and Kante weren't there, but Vardy was and he scored. Leicester were lauded then for playing exciting and fearless football (despite having to fight off relegation spots in the end). They were both functional and entertaining and they had a clear style. In the title winning season when they beat Liverpool (2-0)and City (1-3) on their own turf back to back they turned on the style. Vardy liked to play off the shoulder of the last man and into space, with Okazaki just behind him and contributing some key goals. They had a clear style, back to good old fashioned 4-4-2 with wing play and two strikers dragging players out of position! Vardy was seldom very isolated.
Results don't mean much in terms of style of football. You can play functional football and beat the likes of Liverpool and City. If Sweden hypothetically progressed to finals of the World Cup, we'll also be discussing about their distinctive style and individual players. The biggest strength of that Leicester side was the organization and hard work with flashes of brilliance.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Why is it taking the piss?

They would be there on merit.

Leave your football snobbery elsewhere.
:lol: Never said they weren’t. Doesn’t take away from the fact it’s 2 very dull teams.