Day 8: Denmark-Australia, France-Peru, Argentina-Croatia.

stu_1992

His wife claimed he is fit but politic prevents him the inclusion.
Huh wasn't aware of this.

Anyway, shocking display by Argentina tonight. Tbf Croatia were impressive in the second half, though they were gifted the first goal. Still Argentina have to be doing better with the attacking talents they have.

alsabi

So, permutations:

Croatia are guaranteed qualification, will win the group if Iceland fail to beat Nigeria or if Croatia avoid defeat vs Iceland.

Iceland will guarantee qualification if they gain four points from their final two matches i.e. a win and a draw. Win both and they top the group.

Argentina will qualify if they beat Nigeria and a) Iceland gain three points from their final two matches and there is a sufficient goal difference swing (currently 4) or b) Iceland gain two points or fewer.

Nigeria need four points minimum. A win tomorrow and a draw vs Argentina, combined with an Iceland win vs Croatia, would bring it down to goal difference. A draw tomorrow would be no good if Iceland went on to beat Croatia. Two wins for Nigeria would guarantee qualification (and even an outside shot of winning the group, but only with a favour from Iceland vs Croatia and the GD swing needed would be huge).

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Zabaleta seems a decent guy. Very good grasp of English. Offering considered analysis and delivering it well in a second language amidst clear anguish at what has just gone on.

In Rainbows

Was Messi that influential in 2014 ?
Ronaldo is doing the exact same thing Messi was doing in the last world cup's group stage. So I don't see why this changes anything if everything is quickly forgotten as soon as the next season starts. It's like this every season.

redshaw

These tackle replays remind of the film Predator, those killer traps in the jungle.

ColvaleGoa

Wow..missed the match..but just seen the highlight reel of legbreakers!!!! Wow what a collection of nasties!!!

VP

Just me or wasn't that Modric goal uncannily similar to the one he scored against us in 2013?

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
The worst Argentina team I have seen in my lifetime, I thought they would actually be a threat with Sampaoli but they have been the total opposite

nycender

Was astounded by how much walking around Messi did. Maybe I don't watch enough La Liga but is it the same case for Barca?

el3mel

Ronaldo is doing the exact same thing Messi was doing in the last world cup's group stage. So I don't see why this changes anything if everything is quickly forgotten as soon as the next season starts. It's like this every season.
Ronaldo doing it with a weaker team and he scored a hattrick against Spain not Nigeria.

You said last World Cup in which Messi hardly did anything impressive in their run imo.

Afganitia

Supports
Girona
The worst Argentina team I have seen in my lifetime, I thought they would actually be a threat with Sampaoli but they have been the total opposite
By far. Just look at the players. Anyone can remember a worst team man for man than this one for Argentina? Incredible regression.

ManUtd1999

Obviously, a win by Iceland tomorrow would be the worst outcome for Argentina. But the 3-0 could make a difference if Iceland makes three draws or Nigeria wins.

Ahsan_6386

Well Messi has really proven he is the GOAT . He was busy grazing the field rather than playing on it . :D

Croatia totally dominated the game . Rakitic and Modric wiped the floor with Argentina . Heck even Lovren was outstanding . The lesser said about the Argentina team the better for them .

The referee had a real mare . The Argentineans could literally murder a Croatian player and he would wave play on . Maybe he was a Messi fan or Pepe's :devil:

Sylar

If Argentina somehow make it through this group and then fluke their way to a final
Lmao

Orni

Wow, on the belgian TV, they just showed a camera pointed on Messi during the first goal... Appalling! No reaction at all. Amazing

Neo_Mufc

Just me or wasn't that Modric goal uncannily similar to the one he scored against us in 2013?
My brother was saying the exact same thing whilst we were watching the match.

I can understand Messi not playing well in the first game, sometimes you get the jitters or you are heavily marked.

Today he just didn't look like he was up for it. Seemed isolated for many stages of the game. There wasn't much urge to get on a mazy run. Really disappointed from him.

redshaw

Cesc said it best, 5 strikers and 5 defenders or something like that. No midfield.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Croatia is a very complete team.Combative, committed, well-trained, with a decent defense, a midfield with a lot of quality and Mandzukic up, a nuisance for the defense for 90 minutes, getting petrol from any irrelevant play.
Today I discovered Rebic.
About Argentina, it is the first time in my life that I have to check where some players play. Acuña, Pavón, Tagliafico ... Salvio playing in a match so transcendent ... Mascherano walking.
The midfield is very límited too

massi83

So, permutations:

Croatia are guaranteed qualification, will win the group if Iceland fail to beat Nigeria or if Croatia avoid defeat vs Iceland.

Iceland will guarantee qualification if they gain four points from their final two matches i.e. a win and a draw. Win both and they top the group.

Argentina will qualify if they beat Nigeria and a) Iceland gain three points from their final two matches and there is a sufficient goal difference swing (currently 4) or b) Iceland gain two points or fewer.

Nigeria need four points minimum. A win tomorrow and a draw vs Argentina, combined with an Iceland win vs Croatia, would bring it down to goal difference. A draw tomorrow would be no good if Iceland went on to beat Croatia. Two wins for Nigeria would guarantee qualification (and even an outside shot of winning the group, but only with a favour from Iceland vs Croatia and the GD swing needed would be huge).
You missed situation where cro has 9 points and everybody else has 2.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Croatia is a very complete team.Combative, committed, well-trained, with a decent defense, a midfield with a lot of quality and Mandzukic up, a nuisance for the defense for 90 minutes, getting petrol from any irrelevant play.
Today I discovered Rebic.
About Argentina, it is the first time in my life that I have to check where some players play. Acuña, Pavón, Tagliafico ... Salvio playing in a match so transcendent ... Mascherano walking.
The midfield is very límited too
The whole team is behind their attacking front line.

the_irish123

Croatia has to make sure Iceland qualifies. They are already guaranteed first.

I will be very disappointed if they don't kill the snake when it's still in the nest, having the opportunity to do so.