Day 8: Uruguay vs. England

Status
Not open for further replies.

wythyred

Can't call this England are a lot better on paper & looked good last night while Uruguay was awful but it could go either way.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
By rights it should be a draw, leaving both teams to have a "who can score the most goals" contest in their respective final games.

But I have a feeling it will end with English broken hearts. Uruguay arent as poor as the score line against Costa Rica suggests. Call it naivety or jet lag or who knows what.

Having said that, Hodgson has technically lost just 1 competitive game as England manager.. last nights. In all likelihood, all we need to do is not lose here and our adventure will continue.

I'll go with 2-2. England to be leading 2-1 until the final few minutes.

Minimalist

Uruguay will nick it I think. 1-0. Costa Rica result was just a freak scoreline to me (although I'm aware they do flatter to deceive in general) and they'll get the job done one way or another against England.

England will lose all three games I think.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I expect Uruguay to sit back and let England take the initiative. Suárez' presence is key in what is the crucial aspect of the game: who scores first. If Uruguay scores first I would put money on a 1-1 draw or Uruguay edging it 2-1, it depends on timing and sequencing. If England scores first they will be home and dry with a GD that will make them only need a draw in the last game.

Zak Smith

If suarez plays I think they'll bag a couple. I can't see England responding very well to going 2-0 down so as @antohan the sequencing becomes important.

I just have an awful feeling that suarez's crazy involvement with English football is going to continue if he plays, can just imagine him scoring a late winner or some other controversial moment.

Drifter

American
Suarez declared himself fully fit and said he is ready to exploit England's defensive deficiencies.

Eila

A draw wouldn't be so bad for England, would it? But England can win this match. The uruguayan defense were surprisingly bad for the names they have.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
1-2 or 2-3 would be my guess.

There is a lot riding on this though, so i wouldn't be surprised if one of the teams has a player sent off.

With luck England will possess that extra bit of determination to see them over the line.

Last edited:

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Is this game before or after the Italy - Costa Rica game?

Thursday, June 19

Noon: Colombia vs. Ivory Coast at Estádio Nacional Mane Garrincha, Brasilia (ESPN)

3 p.m.: Uruguay vs. England at Arena Corinthians, Sao Paulo (ESPN)

6 p.m.: Japan vs. Greece at Estadio das Dunas, Natal (ESPN)

Friday, June 20

Noon: Italy vs. Costa Rica at Arena Pernambuco, Recife (ESPN)

3 p.m.: Switzerland vs. France at Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador (ESPN)

6 p.m.: Honduras vs. Ecuador at Arena da Baixada, Curitiba (ESPN)

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/fifa-world-cup/story/1849353/2014-world-cup-daily-schedule

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
With the latest interpretation being that Rooney will start as the No 10, do we think that there will be any changes at all for the Uruguay game?

Had Chamberlain not suffered that injury he might have been contending for Welbeck's place, however as it stands i can't see Hodgson considering Lallana in his stead.

Although a hugely important game i'd have no serious qualms about us replacing either of our full-backs at this point. Whilst Jones has the odd clumsy moment he could be a useful terrier between the CBs and Gerrard, particularly if the midfield were to lose track of Suarez dangerously.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If Chamberlain is fit I'd go for a front four of Chamberlain, Sterling, Welbeck and Sturridge.... the pace of that is frightening.

Cmz'

Wouldn't surprise me if Suarez was on the bench for this one, not sure when the last time he played was in terms of match fitness but there's no way he can be 100% fit otherwise surely he'd have come off the bench when they were losing to Costa Rica, even if he's not at that level he's dangerous but his big game record this season for Liverpool hasn't been too great and I think our defence will keep him relatively quiet if he starts/comes on. I'd be happy to see Rooney being dropped tbh(although I don't think there's any chance Hodgson will do that, probably stick with a 4231 and just move him centrally) then we can move to a 433 with Gerrard, Henderson and Ox and then Sterling right, Welbz left, Sturridge up top, I think that certainly has enough about it to beat Uruguay. I reckon we'll just edge it 2-1 or 3-1.

Moby

Dick
Lugano seems to be out injured, maybe a blessing in disguise for URU because he would have been exposed by England's pace.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Lugano seems to be out injured, maybe a blessing in disguise for URU because he would have been exposed by England's pace.
Who'll replace him? Their defence is pretty shite. They also have Periera out due to suspension.

Matador8

I've gone for a draw in the poll, as I think Uruguay have a better performance in them, more than they shown against Costa Rica. My heart says 3-1 England, my head says 1-1, 2-2.

Moby

Dick
Who'll replace him? Their defence is pretty shite. They also have Periera out due to suspension.
Not sure about the replacement, probably the youngster Gimenez who has been very promising? Well they have one class CB in Godin, so if Gimenez, his club teammate as well, can form a good partnership it can work.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Disaster for England. I was certain we'd win with Lugano playing, not so sure anymore. There's no way on earth their replacements are worse, Coates for one HAS to be better. Lugano's genuinely one of the very worst players i've ever seen to grace the premier league. Whatever he had previously he's well and truly past it and drags down the rest of a teams defensive ability, he's like a black hole in defence eating up the defensive abilities of anyone next to him.

Minimalist

Rooney at 10 is bad news for England despite the clamour for it. We've watched him dick around there all season with little consistency. England to be frustrating and unimaginative going forward I predict.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Rooney at 10 is bad news for England despite the clamour for it. We've watched him dick around there all season with little consistency. England to be frustrating and unimaginative going forward I predict.
Rooney at 10 is not the problem, it's who plays behind him for both club and country.

His best position is at 9 though, it's baffling how Roy never plays him there.

Status
Not open for further replies.