Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

lex talionis

Dayot will have to perform a lot better to convince me to abandon the project of developing Axel into a nailed on starter for us.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Dayot will have to perform a lot better to convince me to abandon the project of developing Axel into a nailed on starter for us.
I was very excited about Upamacano before this week, but even @Adnan warned me he was still abit raw and prone to making startling errors. I don't care about the attacking aspects of defenders at first, for me they first have to demonstrate peerless defensive attributes. Now we've seen how Tuanzebe and WanB were able to deal with Mbappe and Neymar, will be good to see Upamacano up against the same duo a make that comparison. But there is no getting away from the fact that Upamacano's audition against us was poor.

Also perhaps Upmacano only becomes a serious option if Tuanzebe has serious long term injuries. Tuanzebe injury last season made many of us forget his potential and future role at the club, who has invested so much time and effort into him for 10 years. If he becomes a serious dependable option, then do we even need Upamacano who offers similar attributes?

Although having a CB foursome of Maguire, Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Upamacano looks sexy of fcuk! So many combinations are possible and provide solutions for just about every challenge. And the possibility that Mengi and Big Willy can join that group over the next years!

The squad is just 2 or 3 signings from being pitch perfect: Add Upamacano, Sancho and bring back Garner and we are set!

Last edited:

kirk buttercup

I was very excited about Upamacano before this week, but even @Adnan warned me he was still abit raw and prone to making startling errors. I don't care about the attacking aspects of defenders at first, for me they first have to demonstrate peerless defensive attributes. Now we've seen how Tuanzebe and WanB were able to deal with Mbappe and Neymar, will be good to see Upamacano up against the same duo a make that comparison. But there is no getting away from the fact that Upamacano's audition against us was poor.

Also perhaps Upmacano only becomes a serious option if Tuanzebe has serious long term injuries. Tuanzebe injury last season made many of us forget his potential and future role at the club, who has invested so much time and effort into him for 10 years. If he becomes a serious dependable option, then do we even need Upamacano who offers similar attributes?

Although having a CB foursome of Maguire, Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Upamacano looks sexy of fcuk! So many combinations are possible and provide solutions for just about every challenge. And the possibility that Mengi and Big Willy can join that group over the next years!

The squad is jut 2 or 3 signings from being pitch perfect: Add Upamacano, Sancho and bring back Garner and we are set!
He definitely has raw talent but Axel and Mengi also fit into that same bracket (maybe a little behind at the moment Especially in Mengi case , but I thi k Tuanzebe could be the answer to our problems ). I think DM is more a priority for us to replace Matic and It looks like the Sancho ship has sailed considering we signed the two young guns and we also have Greenwood . He would be a good addition especially for the money being spoken about but not sure it is a necessity.

USREDEVIL

I don't watch much of RBL but i was impressed maybe more by Konate. Are we sure Upemecano is the better option? Anyone have a good analysis of both players?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He definitely has raw talent but Axel and Mengi also fit into that same bracket (maybe a little behind at the moment Especially in Mengi case , but I thi k Tuanzebe could be the answer to our problems ). I think DM is more a priority for us to replace Matic and It looks like the Sancho ship has sailed considering we signed the two young guns and we also have Greenwood . He would be a good addition especially for the money being spoken about but not sure it is a necessity.
I wouldn't say DM is a priority, Fred's doing brilliantly there. Actually now that I think about it, it probably makes sense to go for one while we're in a position of strength so we won't get rinsed.

Remember the geese

I wouldn't say DM is a priority, Fred's doing brilliantly there. Actually now that I think about it, it probably makes sense to go for one while we're in a position of strength so we won't get rinsed.
I think the smart money would be on Camavinga. Would be nice to grab him just before Matic slows down. Hopefully Axel stays fit and can challenge for a starting spot. Then potentially with Mengi, Fish and Kambwala down the line, we will be in a good place. Or failing that, Camavinga and Upamecano please.

AltiUn

I think the smart money would be on Camavinga. Would be nice to grab him just before Matic slows down. Hopefully Axel stays fit and can challenge for a starting spot. Then potentially with Mengi, Fish and Kambwala down the line, we will be in a good place. Or failing that, Camavinga and Upamecano please.
Yeah Camavinga would be the dream, although apparently Madrid are going big for him next summer so let's hope we seem the more attractive destination.

kirk buttercup

yes . For me we need to add talent when they are available not when we are crying out for them and get absolutely ripped off . Adding talent all the time and having a squad that we can rotate comfortably. that's why I think VdB is such a good signing this may not seem like an amazing signing now but over the coming years I think this is the type of signing we need to keep doing , always improving.

Last edited:

AltiUn

Except the fact that he is not playing as a DM.
His playing the exact same role that a new DM would be expected to play, at least when we play the double pivot he is. Call it a defensive box to box if you like. When we played the diamond he wasn't the DM, I'll admit that, he was still an aggresive defensive presence.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yeah Camavinga would be the dream, although apparently Madrid are going big for him next summer so let's hope we seem the more attractive destination.
Madrid can't go after both Mbappe and Camavinga in the same summer, can they? Feels like they'll have to make a choice between the two given the price they'll cost. And they'll pick Mbappe, so Camavinga should have at least one less suitor next summer, although with the pandemic and a year left on his contract, maybe Madrid can go for both for under 200m but who has that kind of money nowadays?

AltiUn

Madrid can't go after both Mbappe and Camavinga in the same summer, can they? Feels like they'll have to make a choice between the two given the price they'll cost. And they'll pick Mbappe, so Camavinga should have at least one less suitor next summer, although with the pandemic and a year left on his contract, maybe Madrid can go for both for under 200m but who has that kind of money nowadays?
Oh yeah if they're going for Mbappe we might have a shot, they're short enough on cash as if, if the rumours are to be believed.

jamesjimmybyrondean

How many years does Canavinga have on his contract? I imagine he wouldn't mind waiting another extra year if his dream move is Madrid

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
How many years does Canavinga have on his contract? I imagine he wouldn't mind waiting another extra year if his dream move is Madrid
2022, just like Mbappe. If they don't renew this season (and I don't expect Mbappe to), their clubs would pretty much have to sell them or risk losing them for nothing, so there will be a bit of discount going on compared to their actual value.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

2022, just like Mbappe. If they don't renew this season (and I don't expect Mbappe to), they clubs would pretty much have to sell them or risk losing them for nothing, so there will be a bit of discount going on compared to their actual value.
All in the same boat with Pogba. Zidane will be licking his lips

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's just got away with two suicide passes that could've resulted in conceded goals against Gladbach. The second one was awful and it further highlights his loss of focus at times and immaturity IMO.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

He's just got away with two suicide passes that could've resulted in conceded goals against Gladbach. The second one was awful and it further highlights his loss of focus at times and immaturity IMO.
I feel everyone is judging him on his incredible game vs Atletico. The talent is there just not at all consistent

Kostov

Matic has been slowing down since 2016...

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Haven't followed him closely. Looked shaky as feck against us the other day, though. Sprayed passes all over the place - as in: yes, I can see why some would be impressed by his passing range. But also as in: he played high-risk passes of the sort you can get away with in the final third - but which look insanely reckless when played by a defender initiating an attacking sequence.

He had one in particular which made me sit up and yell - don't remember exactly when it happened, but it was shocking. If one of our current defenders had pulled something like that, we'd have multiple threads on here dedicated to it.

Red71

It felt that way because it was progressive. It reminded me the Spurs game and in fact Upamecano's game was similar to Maguire's where he tried to force things in the last third and wasn't in place when the attack unsurprisingly failed. People focus too much on individuals, in both cases while the players made mistakes those mistakes were the fruit of poor team organization and in the case of Leipzig a subpar attacking force.
I know that many posters don't want to accept that fact but United have very good players and should be a Top 10 team in Europe, our issues are due to punctual poor coaching which is shown everytime Ole decides to take logical decisions/actions, thats when we can see that the coaching staff can implement good tactical plans and that the players are able to execute them. In the case of Leipzig it was a similar problem, as @RedSky mentioned things got worse with every boneheaded decisions that Nagelsmann took, he is a very coach because his teams isn't as talented as their regular level would make you believe but when he fails to concoct the perfect plan you can see how they completely implode and their back three was totally exposed for the entirety of the game.

Also the way Ole organized the attack meant that we stretched their back three with both strikers starting outside of the RCB and LCBs while Van De Beek played almost like a false nine and occupied the CB, it meant that our attackers were never doubled without leaving an other attacker completely free and since Leipzig wingbacks weren't tracking deep or covering inside.

On a side note that game is a case for a flat midfield three and switching between a 433 and 4312. I wanted to see it for a while and it's convincing.
I was just wondering what you meant by the bolded..?

A-man

Now we've seen how Tuanzebe and WanB were able to deal with Mbappe and Neymar, will be good to see Upamacano up against the same duo a make that comparison. But there is no getting away from the fact that Upamacano's audition against us was poor.
Maybe he can handle them better this time, but in the CL semi he was eaten alive by Neymar and Mbappe.

A-man

He'll be class. Young and making mistakes, but the upside is still hard to miss. If he's well managed for the next few years he'll be great.
Maybe. But right now he’s been poor for the second CL game in a row. and his upside, which I would say is his ball handling, has cost a few times because of poor decision making.

Bobski

That penalty is harsh historically if not this season but what gets me is the yellow card. Ball blasted at him from a few yards away, ball hits his arm, no, from the angles I saw, intention on his part, and ref books him.

Who would be a defender with how the game is being forced so in favour of attackers.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If we want to play a 3-4-3 regularly he'd be perfect for the right sided channel, but not sure he'd work all that well in a back 2 at the moment.

Bestietom

I wouldn't necessarily consider Pellestri and Amad first-teamers as such. Amad and Pellestri have both got a handful of games under their belt playing against the big boys. It's highly unlikely they will play a huge part this season in terms of the league games. They've got a long way to go.
How Long.....If they are good enough, they are old enough ( which is why we bought them) they should be ready to play next season.

Bestietom

Don't really know if Upamecano is the right one. He is right footed also, and I think we need and were after a left footed CB.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So is he shit now? Just asking for a friend
He's still good but needs to be less erratic and needs to improve on his judgement/concentration and not look to play forward at every opportunity. His game isn't mature yet and that will hopefully come with time.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

He's still good but needs to be less erratic and needs to improve on his judgement/concentration and not look to play forward at every opportunity. His game isn't mature yet and that will hopefully come with time.
So another Rio in the making

poleglass red

I like him, but as others say he's still a long way off the finished article, and that's normal at his age. I've seen Liverpool fans calling for him to be signed, I don't think he's the man to replace VVD yet, they need a leader in there. I think Upamecano would benefit playing alongside a more experienced defender. Someone above mentioned Rio, that's a fair comparison, we all saw the mistakes he made when he first came, but at the same time, the quality was always evident

Status
Not open for further replies.