Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Then you can't like the way Manchester United doing business either. Or do you believe the charade with Sancho in the summer was low radar mode and less public?
Go ahead and post those interviews then? Not a single word from ManUtd, all the noise was from Dortmund and journalists.

Jericholyte2

Think it's fair to say that with the 42.5m release he's going to have his pick of clubs to choose from. Will be very interesting to see if we throw our hat in the ring as recent reports seem to be distancing us from him.

romufc

I wouldn't be too upset if he went Bayern. I think he is slightly overrated as a player. We need to try stay clear of these signings where a player has so many options.

A few bad results / performances and you will hear should he have gone to United, and he will come in and think he is the best defender there is because of the hype on him.

Look at the players that have done for us recently, they all have hunger to play for Manutd for a long time, not be a stepping stone for Madrid or Barca.

Disclaimer: I do not know his personality, I am not saying he is a bad apple.

Can7onA

In those two games against Leipzig, I thought the bloke next to him looked way better. Get him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Zorc was yapping all summer about Sancho, don't think Woodward said a word.
Woodward barely ever gives interviews and is unpopular among the United fan base unlike Zorc who is a ex player and current DoF and is popular among the BvB fans. Zorc is also someone that has always spoke to the media which is normal for him in his position.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't like the way Bayern go about their business. They speak so publicly about other teams' players. Even teams they are competing with.
And the direct quotes from Rummenigge (and the context) are where?

Bondi77

This was the bloke who was all over the place when we thumped them in the first leg??
Feck me! We are so quick to criticise our own and yet we pump up these guys at other clubs and then say nothing when they come to England and look shite.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He's not the only CB on this level around for that money, although he's certainly a safer bet than buying a CB from say Benfica.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
This was the bloke who was all over the place when we thumped them in the first leg??
Feck me! We are so quick to criticise our own and yet we pump up these guys at other clubs and then say nothing when they come to England and look shite.
He was probably their best player in the first half of that match, but yes second half he (and the rest of the team) fell apart.

If we played with a back three he'd arguably be my first choice, but from what I've seen of him (admittedly not that much) I have doubts whether he'll be top class in a two man central defence like we play. He has the potential so he might go on to be fantastic, but it's a bit of a risk.

davidmichael

He's not the only CB on this level around for that money, although he's certainly a safer bet than buying a CB from say Benfica.
Dias hasn’t exactly looked awful since signing for City from Benfica has he ? Always heard that Ferro was/is the better of the two as well so I wouldn’t go along with the theory unless it’s based on Lindelof.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Bayern would be the type of love where he can bed in over time. I think any top team that's get him should still look at him as a WIP as his positioning can be bad and sometimes he's slow to read the game and pick up runs in behind him.

As for the Konate debate, it's really the whole floor/ceiling arguement. Konate is has better natural instincts few have Upamecano's combo of speed, physicality and ability on the ball.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This information was a few days ago.

Sky Germany are now reporting that Bayern are in advanced talks for the player.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Bayern would be perfect for him, I mean Boateng has played for them for years and made people forgot about what a liability he can be

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Bet he’s going to become one of top centre backs in Europe, starter for Bayern and France and it will come back to haunt us that we didn’t close the deal for him when we could have got him for a few million as a youth. He’s not the finished article yet though.

arthurka

Did anyone think Bayern wouldn't gobble him up like every other talented player in Germany.

Andersons Dietician

We should be all over that
We should but I‘m sure RB must have some way of protecting themselves as would be an odd summer having two of their best CB prospects leave in the same window due to buy out clauses.

Must admit I’m also starting to doubt my own opinion on CB’s from Germany. Haven’t seen that much of RB recently but watching the defending in the rest of the league I’m convinced if Lindelof, Bailly and the likes were playing in the Bundesliga they’d look like Stam, Rio, Vidic and other greats compared to some of the jokers I’ve seen masquerading as CB’s. It’s like the Bundesliga defenders were doing social distancing before it was even mandatory. No wonder they have people banging in goals for fun in the league as Danny Welbeck would be a 20 goal a season man there.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We should but I‘m sure RB must have some way of protecting themselves as would be an odd summer having two of their best CB prospects leave in the same window due to buy out clauses.

Must admit I’m also starting to doubt my own opinion on CB’s from Germany. Haven’t seen that much of RB recently but watching the defending in the rest of the league I’m convinced if Lindelof, Bailly and the likes were playing in the Bundesliga they’d look like Stam, Rio, Vidic and other greats compared to some of the jokers I’ve seen masquerading as CB’s. It’s like the Bundesliga defenders were doing social distancing before it was even mandatory. No wonder they have people banging in goals for fun in the league as Danny Welbeck would be a 20 goal a season man there.
I mean you probably have a point to an extent but I think konate is a great cb, and for €40m, that wouldn’t buy you a Webster or dunk from Brighton. He would certainly address some of the deficiencies that our cbs have. My only hesitation would be his injuries

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It actually makes a lot of sense for Bayern to sign him. Bayern are a team that looks to dominate possession in a high line and Upamecano's ability to pass through the lines will really suit them.

For United it makes more sense to sign the younger Konate IMO. He's defensively stronger than Upamecano IMO and aerially very strong. At United we're gonna need our CBs to defend more than attack in comparison to what will be expected at Bayern who are a stronger team in comparison to United at the present time. But Konate is also very good on the ball in particular his ability to dribble the ball out of the back line which helped Leipzig advance play 30 to 60 yards which turns defense into attack in seconds due to Konate's powerful surging runs.

I'll also add that Konate has suffered one significant injury which has kept him out for a long period of time. It was a muscle injury sustained after he was played in literally every minute in the 2018/19 season as a teenager after Upamecano himself was ruled out for the whole season. He was then selected to play for France u21s in the European Championship finals in the summer and played up until the semi-finals stage which likely took it's toll on the, then 19 year old who was likely over played without significant rest. The United medical staff will likely make the call on his injury in the eventuality we do firm up our interest because the medical reports will be available.

It's reported that Ole wants a CB who is commanding, strong in 1v1s when the fullbacks are caught up field and can single handedly thwart counter attacks. Konate fits that profile like a glove IMO. He's still young at 21 too, so will improve further in the coming years.

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Brazzo talks too much. He should shut his fecking handsomely bearded mouth.
Everytime he's been so publicly forward about a transfer, something went awry.
"Hudson-Odoi is a very interesting player whom we absolutely want to sign" :rolleyes:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
They wanted both, just couldn't afford them.
Not entirely true. Werner doesn‘t fit them. And while I think that they wouldn’t have paid what Chelsea did for Havertz they also have Müller for Havertz position.

Status
Not open for further replies.