Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
His price is going up a few million tonight, he's looked absolute quality against Atletico
Has a release clause. Though it's likely been raised since extending his deal.

edit: release clause doesn't get activated until next summer as @UNITED ACADEMY posted

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Can't wait for him to have a bad semi-final and then someone make a thread about hipster defenders and how Maguire/Lindelof are better than him.

In all seriousness, he's been an amazing talent for a while now, both him and Konate. Last year Upamecano had a lot of injury problems so Konate had to take the lead role in the center of defense, and did really well. This season, Konate has been the one with injury problems while Upamecano has returned superbly (though himself been out with injuries as well).

It's always amazed me why bigger clubs are not trying to sign him, makes me doubt my own assessment of him being a potential world class center back.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Are you sure? I've only seen him constantly say that Konate is better than Upamecano.
He's touted both as the ones we should be after. Think he was the first on either bandwagon, or at least, that I saw.

Tonight's definitely taking him up a few notches and it'll be interesting to see how he does against PSG in the next round.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
I know but doing it in a CL quarter is different. This is what the big clubs are looking for.
Agreed. He’s already up there in top 5 CB’s in the world and born 1998. Will probably start for France in Euro cup next year too.

I’ve seen him give some big performances on the biggest stage this season - like tonight.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
@Adnan has been high on him for a long, long time now. Games like this certainly take him up a level because he looks world class out there against a team who are seen as proper CL contenders.
've been saying for awhile that we should target either Konate or Upamecano if we want to succesfully implement the high press and play a high-line. It's a pity Konate was injured because for me he is even more dominant than Upamecano.

Him and Kounde from Sevilla have massively impressed me. They still have bad games in them but I'd expect nothing less from such young CBs starting in top leagues. If we don't sign a starter CB this summer they really both should be options in 2021. The talent that France churns out is just absurd.

MetoTTT

Agreed. He’s already up there in top 5 CB’s in the world and born 1998. Will probably start for France in Euro cup next year too.

I’ve seen him give some big performances on the biggest stage this season - like tonight.
I wouldn't bet on this with Deschamps.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't think any other young centre back in the world looks this good.

A useful perspective for those who aren't sure: Would you like Liverpool to pair him with Virgil? Upamecano is the real deal.
I think he, De Ligt, Kabak and apparently Konate, who I’ve seen less of because he’s never playing when I watch Leipzig - look the best group of young centre halves from what I’ve seen/heard. Except De Ligt, they are all attainable for reasonable prices - so if looking to strengthen this area, we should try one of them.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Does he always play so positively? Several times he’s picked out forward passes in dangerous areas. Great to see that for a change instead of the sideways/backwards passes our defenders play

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If he was looking to leave he wouldn't have signed an extension so early on in the window.
With a lower release clause for next summer. It was commonly reported he was looking for a new club but no one made a move by the time his clause expired. Werner was signed before his expired

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Does he always play so positively? Several times he’s picked out forward passes in dangerous areas. Great to see that for a change instead of the sideways/backwards passes our defenders play
Not always but tonight he was facing Simeone's Atleti who cede space high up the pitch.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think he, De Ligt, Kabak and apparently Konate, who I’ve seen less of because he’s never playing when I watch Leipzig - look the best group of young centre halves from what I’ve seen/heard. Except De Ligt, they are all attainable for reasonable prices - so if looking to strengthen this area, we should try one of them.
I've not seen Kabak, but Upamecano always looks a top player. But to be MOTM and look so assured in a CL quarter final at his age just shows he's ready. De Ligt is obviously struggling now, but he'll come good next season. But I'd prefer Upamecano to de Ligt and all the others.

Said it before, reminds of of Jaap Stam. But better passing and technique.

bucky

I've advocated the signing of both but Konate for me is even more dominant.
I'm joking. Thought your Konate obsession was hilarious, as was with Milenkovic. Muppets gonna muppet, you know, and it takes one, to know one. :wenger:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

You don't start for France that easily, we have a handful of CBs that are playing in the CL this August and have shown as much as Upamecano if not more.

bucky

You don't start for France that easily, we have a handful of CBs that are playing in the CL this August and have shown as much as Upamecano if not more.
Do you think Deschamps will finally give Laporte a chance with Umtiti and his injury issues?

You can’t say he will probably start, when he’s not got a senior cap at present. That’s not saying he’s not talented.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Can't wait for him to have a bad semi-final and then someone make a thread about hipster defenders and how Maguire/Lindelof are better than him.

In all seriousness, he's been an amazing talent for a while now, both him and Konate. Last year Upamecano had a lot of injury problems so Konate had to take the lead role in the center of defense, and did really well. This season, Konate has been the one with injury problems while Upamecano has returned superbly (though himself been out with injuries as well).

It's always amazed me why bigger clubs are not trying to sign him, makes me doubt my own assessment of him being a potential world class center back.
What’s the status with Konate? He came back from injury post lockdown but still didn’t feature tonight. He couldn’t have been suspended surely, as he’s missed the last couple of CL games injured anyway. Will he be able to feature in the semis?

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Agreed. But I can easily see him take Umiti’s spot next to Varane. (started in the world cup final 2018)

Glorio

Maybe this (illustrated by red font) is why?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
From the first page on this thread:

Now one of the most promising centre-backs in the Bundesliga and unlikely to be far off from a France cap in the future, Dayot Upamecano is a guaranteed profit for RB Leipzig when they decide to sell him.

Bought for just £9m from their ‘sister’ club RB Salzburg back in 2017, the 20-year-old is now easily worth at least four times that, if not more, and has a release clause of €100m in his contract, set to expire in 2021.

Transfer rumours sending him to Manchester United have circulated recently, and their interest in the centre-back dates back to his time at Valenciennes, when they came extremely close to signing him. The failed transfer was well documented at the time, with certain members of the press going as far as saying it was a done deal.
What went wrong?

According to So Foot, who asked the player’s agent, the player was ready to sign with the Red Devils, ‘the club that has made Upamecano dream since he was a kid’, no matter what, but his entourage ultimately pulled the plug.

Thierry Martinez said: “An intermediary met with us, but between the project she presented us and what was actually going to happen… A flat was promised, but that changed to a host family with only six return trips for his parents. "When you uproot a player at such a young age, that isn’t enough. I wanted Dayot to have a stable emotional balance off the pitch.”

Clubs like Arsenal, Rennes, Marseille and even Bayern Munich then came knocking, but the decision to go to Salzburg all came down to a PowerPoint presentation, shown to the family, where everything was planned for the youngster, from accommodation to education. That’s how they reassured everyone and ultimately won the race.

Maybe Manchester United need to invest in a PowerPoint presentation team.

Actually, a director of football would be a good start.
Didn't know that..

JPRouve

Scout
Which CBs have shown more?
Laporte, Lenglet, Varane, Umtiti, Kimpembe have all shown more, today I would have him above Umtiti and Kimpembe though.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Do you think Deschamps will finally give Laporte a chance with Umtiti and his injury issues?
I think he did give him his chance but Laporte got hurt. He held back on bringing him in because of fears of chemistry and how Laporte might not handle being on the bench as well as some other players. It was never about his ability IIRC.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What’s the status with Konate? He came back from injury post lockdown but still didn’t feature tonight. He couldn’t have been suspended surely, as he’s missed the last couple of CL games injured anyway. Will he be able to feature in the semis?
Konate was still feeling the effects of his injury after coming back and they had to send him in for surgery which was successful. He will be back for the start of the new season.

JPRouve

Scout
Honestly I'm skeptical, I wouldn't be surprised to see all the U21 get in the team before him.

M4YON

Missed the game but a mate texted and said he was class tonight.
First time I've watched him in a full 90min match and he was emense, i was very impressed. MOTM for them tonight didn't give Diego Costa or Morata an inch can see why he's being watched by so many clubs.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He's probably unfit to be given a starting role. Also the back 3 of Klostermann Upamecano Halstenberg has now been used for majority of the season given their other CB (and captain) Orban has also been injured for the whole of the season. They have done admirably well through the period together eventhough Klostermann and Halstenberg have been their starting full backs.

It will probably be next season before Konate comes in, unless the get an injury to either their current 3 CBs.

bucky

Honestly I'm skeptical, I wouldn't be surprised to see all the U21 get in the team before him.
Kind of a shame, but it's obviously his decision and he's been successful. Still want to see your best XI and Laporte probably belongs in it.

DRM

No chance we get him, real/Barca/city bound.

Robbie Boy

First time I've watched him in a full 90min match and he was emense, i was very impressed. MOTM for them tonight didn't give Diego Costa or Morata an inch can see why he's being watched by so many clubs.
Aye, I was hoping to catch the game as I haven't seen too much of him myself. Sounds like he really had a good game.

Status
Not open for further replies.