De Bruyne Mania - Gabriel Jesus new latest example

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Stick a man marker on him and see if he’s good enough to still have an impact, unsurprisingly his best performances come when teams don’t pay him the proper respect

He’s a good player but I don’t get the best player in the league claims from some pundits because he’s not even the best player at his club let alone the entire PL

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
How can this forum have red tinted specs on when all this place does is praise City?
Good question.

I seem to remember the Caf being similarly complimentary about De Bruyne after our home game against City last season.

He's a very good player, certainly one of the best in the league, but reading certain comments you'd think he was incomparable. :rolleyes:

Robert

Exceptionally talented player, I love what he brings to the game.. but I also think he's just current flavour of the month, it's not like he hasn't been playing with this panache for a couple years now.. that said, I could see him getting PFA POTY or something.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
In actual fact though, the season is 7 games old, de bruyne has been very inconsistent the last two years and has 1 goal and 2 assists this season.
In the league this season he has one goal and three assists. In the CL he has one goal and one assist. His position on the pitch this season leads him to often play the 'pre assist' if you like. If you're going to use a stat to attack him, at least get the number correct.

Seeing as you like assists, he topped the league with 18 last season. Do they not count?

El Zoido

If you were to listen to the British football media you would think he’s literally the greatest player to ever play the game. I get tired of the hype to be honest. He’s a top quality footballer, I can leave it there.

SER19

In the league this season he has one goal and three assists. In the CL he has one goal and one assist. His position on the pitch this season leads him to often play the 'pre assist' if you like. If you're going to use a stat to attack him, at least get the number correct.

Seeing as you like assists, he topped the league with 18 last season. Do they not count?
Ok I was one assist out. Regarding last season that's a great return, though his performances we're not near hue current level. Which is my point, one very strong run of form is treated with far too much consideration. You can't boil my point down to one comment, in fact I was very complimentary of his talent. Don't be upset that I'm tempering slightly the hyperbolic praise towards the latest product in the Man City franchise.

Also I wasn't using his stats as a criticism, just balance to show we're not talking about a player who is achieving anything extraordinary in terms of goals or assists. His numbers are solid and will be good at the end of the season , what I mean is that if say, he had scored 8 goals and assisted 8 in the first 7 games then maybe, just maybe, that would justify the sky rocketing of his status, even then I think it would be too soon.

Last edited:

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
You're only as good as the last match you play in. That's how football works. He's been superb.

SER19

You're only as good as the last match you play in. That's how football works. He's been superb.
In that case fellaini is presently one of the best midfielders in the league. Easily top 3.

That's now how football works. The issue isn't de bruynes talent, it's the minimal amount he (or a similar talented player) needs to show over such a short spell to be elevated to such a high level of opinion. It's ridiculous really. For me, for a player to get the plaudits he is currently receiving, a player should have to do more and do it for longer.

SAFicus

Abso-fecking-lutely!

KDB is getting the love from all corners of the globe now, last thing we need to do is glorify him further. Especially since this is supoosed to be a United forum.
Agreed.

That isn't even to say that the praise of KDB is necessarily wrong either. As pointed out in my original post the guy is a class act.

However, if as most on here are claiming, KDB is the best player in the league because he's a complete midfielder and only 25-26? Then how does this forum rate Pogba who is arguably our best player and ticks all the same boxes.

In my opinion Pogba is the best player in the league on his day. So few others on here seem to say that though... Are they all scared of being acused of having "red tinted specs"? Have they simply watched Pogba more than KDB so they have seen his worst as well as his best?

I don't know, but it's time this forum got a grip. We all laugh on the RAWK thread when they say we obsess about Liverpool or any other team except Manchester United... Well at the minute the way this forum behaves we have no right to laugh.

I'm a United fan. I'm glad that the fans on this forum can appreciate the class of other teams, it is a very good thing, but United are playing well and im on a United forum. I want to see some more positivity about United on the relevant United threads if we are going to keep posting stuff like this about KDB, Kane and whoever else ends up being 'the best player ever this season'.

AllezLesDiables

This thread is shameful for its ignorance and its bias. If he was playing for United people would singing his praises and the hyperbole would be unrelenting. As for the ridiculous he doesn't show up for big games response, this nonsense gets spouted anytime a player has a bad game against a good team. Guess what these players have lots of big games chances are they'll have bad games ever so often.

Oh and stop judging players solely on their goals and assists, as it reeks of a lack of knowledge and understanding of the game.

automaticflare

It's typical English media nonsense how anyone buys papers or listens to these clowns I do not know.

Same hype merchants who hyped up rashford but said he wasn't performing last year

Same hype merchants who go on about noble for England when he plays a good game against a big side yet fail to mention games he gets dominated by likes of glen whelan

Same hype merchants who eventually got the likes of tickets and vassell caps for England

Same hype merchants who said it is impossible for two world class players in lampard and Gerard to not play with each other. See match of the day premier league all time eleven

De Bruyne is a very good player but like all number 10s/wingers will be inconsistent because his job is to unlock defenses which is hard st thing to do in football.

Longer people read this shit by journos the linger they will be around spouting nonsense

Paul_Scholes18

He is a very good player and what is the problem? Media and people will always hype players up. It is the same with plenty of players.

pacifictheme

Every now and then we see an example of what is happening with Kevin de bruyne right now. It is not the players fault and he is a fantastic player with huge potential to develop over the next few years.

However, right now the current thinking is that de bruyne is some sort of unstoppable force. "Complete player" is the buzz phrase that has attached itself to de bruyne, stemming from a couple of timely articles and praise from guardiola which culminated in a great goal yesterday.

In actual fact though, the season is 7 games old, de bruyne has been very inconsistent the last two years and has 1 goal and 3 assists this season. We are not talking about a player who has reached even close to the performance levels of many many players through the years.

It seems there is a deep need of the British media and football community to elevate a player to a status that suggests the league has the best players in the world, or some sort of insight to the game that allows them appreciate a player. We've seen this with many players, namely hazard, who amongst good form has a frankly disgraceful entire season.

I have no bad feeling towards de bruyne and other than him being a city player hope he develops into a world class player, it's good for the league and good to watch. But he just isn't there yet, sorry to spoil the party. Let's let the league reach bloody December before we start to eulogise about a player who is presently, in a good run of form. And that's before we have to start pretending guardiola has transformed him from Andros Townsend to Roy Keane redux. De bruyne always had many qualities and is developing at the expected rate for a player of his quality, at fifty five million he's not exactly a rough diamond
Stats stats stats.

Hes played in thr midfield two and run the show for city. He is class. One of the best players in the league. Hes playing deeper this season which is why his stats are not so hoy.

SER19

This thread is shameful for its ignorance and its bias. If he was playing for United people would singing his praises and the hyperbole would be unrelenting. As for the ridiculous he doesn't show up for big games response, this nonsense gets spouted anytime a player has a bad game against a good team. Guess what these players have lots of big games chances are they'll have bad games ever so often.

Oh and stop judging players solely on their goals and assists, as it reeks of a lack of knowledge and understanding of the game.
Nobody is doing that, regarding stats. Can't see a single post that does

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He's like an insanely talented James Milner.

Plays well in one position, gets moved elsewhere, excels there too.

He's the best attacking player at City. But Pep is reimagining him as a deeper player and he looks phenomenal there too.

It's looking like a far more cultured version of Alan Smith moving from crash and bash forward to crash and bash central midfielder.

Love him. Wish he wore a red shirt.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
Any reason why this couldn't have just been posted in the de Bruyne thread?

Also, why do you need to wait until December before you can eulogise about a player? de Bruyne is 26, his footballing ability is already established for you to have an opinion on it. Can I not praise Neymar until December?
Because it has more to do than KdB and the fact that flavor of the months are rated so highly. Like OP mentioned Hazard is rated very highly. Previously, Ramsey and Wilshere were rated pretty highly.

I remember once LvG was being interviewed and the interviewer started praising new defender. LvG was caught off-gaurd when the interviewer mentioned Blackett by name, LvG, like me, must have expected a question about Blind. Media loves hyping players they can create a narrative around.

On the converse side, some players don't receive praise. Giroud is an example.

BlueSingh

Supports
Manchester City
Topped the assist charts last season, our best player in the champions league, he's the definition of a big game player, outclassed Bayern at Wolfsburg, outclassed Dortmund the same season, two goals in the Quarter finals of CL in his first season at City sinking PSG, ran the show at Stamford Bridge the same season with two assists, clutch performance at Old Trafford, scored against Arsenal, Tottenham and provided 2 assists in both the games, made Barcelona his bitch last year, 2 assists again vs Liverpool this season, winner in midweek against Shakhtar and what a goal it was, winner again last night at Chelsea.

If he isn't a big game player, then no one in this league is. The hype is totally justified. Absolutely laughable thread.

ryadmahrez

I think its just the quality he displays that gets him all this praise. In terms of his touch, creativity, passing, shooting and intelligence, nobody beats him in the leaugue with it all put together.

ZAGREB RED

Would take him at United in a heartbeat. Fabulous footballer, who is probably going to get even better.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Mourinho sold Salah, Mata, Lukaku, De Bruyne.

His legacy at Chelsea is incredible, but God did he make some stupid decisions in his return!

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Scored a worldie but I feel David Silva has been better for them this season, he's being deployed in a deeper role under Guardiola though. Which is good for us because he is the most productive #10 in the world alongside James.

Also, if there is one thing you can't criticize him for is his big match performances. He constantly ups his game for big matches and has scored against pretty much all the Top 6 sides in the country as well as some European giants. I feel alongside Mane and Aguero in PL, he is the only player who turns up and produces in big games on a consistent basis.

You can question his influence vs lesser sides though, can be passive in such games and be happy to keep it short and safe.

Mourinho sold Salah, Mata, Lukaku, De Bruyne.

His legacy at Chelsea is incredible, but God did he make some stupid decisions in his return!
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, at that point of time only player who was better than what you had was de Bruyne. Also, all of these players with the exception of Mata have improved after they have left Chelsea mainly because they became a regular. Would Pogba be the player he is now if he hadn't left United in the first place? I don't think so,

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Us fans just like to hype stuff, we all do it. That being said KDB is a fantastic player. Not one that you shouls judge based solely on stats. He doesnt score 40 goals a season, who cares. The stat mongering is destroying the appreciation of players like him, or for example a player like Modric. Go watch baseball if you want all those dumb stats.

red4ever 79

This guy is not overhyped at all. When he joined City I couldnt understand how we were not in for him. Is there a better number 10 in the world. I can only think of Isco. The guy can create, shoot, is technically superb and has pace to burn. Can also play on the right and put in some outstanding crosses

Easily a level above Miki and Mata. Wonderful player and a good lad by all accounts.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Us fans just like to hype stuff, we all do it. That being said KDB is a fantastic player. Not one that you shouls judge based solely on stats. He doesnt score 40 goals a season, who cares. The stat mongering is destroying the appreciation of players like him, or for example a player like Modric. Go watch baseball if you want all those dumb stats.
I agree on the stats comment. De Bruyne had 18 assists last year in the league and not too many this season so far. Yet I’d say his impact in the side has improved. Unless you’re watching the games then the stats don’t tell the story.

RuudTom83

The media need to fill endless upon endless hours of tv coverage, websites and papers...so players get exhaggerated to world class one week and not worth his shirt the next.

One huge advantage of not having Rooney in the squad is the lack of any real drama around United this season.

Apart from Mourinho the media are gonna struggle to create any real drama coz the Pogba transfer fee is old news.

djdhrubs

I think the OP makes fair points. For me, his biggest drawback is that he often seems to be injured.

This time last year, I remember a quote from Pep saying something along the lines of 'There's Messi, there's Ronaldo, and then there's De Bruyne'. Then what happened? He got injured, and didn't really set the world on fire for the remainder of the season. What did he do in the CL last year?

Without looking up his injury record, he seems to develop one injury or other, then miss 2-3 months, then come back, play well, then get injured again.

If he can remain injury free for an entire season he could fire City to the title. He should be coming into his peak years now. He needs to be winning trophies, getting player of the year awards etc etc. So yeah, until those things happen, he's overhyped.

The OP is also correct that people tend to over-eulogise a player too early in the season or too early in their career. And yes, right now, De Bruyne is receiving that, in a month it may be someone different.

djdhrubs

His injury record is actually very good.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kevin-de-bruyne/verletzungen/spieler/88755

He's a great player, but a bit of a tit, even when he was still playing at Genk. Hazard for instance is far more likeable.
I must have imagined him missing 2-3 months last season then!

In which case, what happened to him after his brilliant start to last season? Looks like he made assists fairly regularly but didn't star enough to make a significant positive impact to City's season. I definitely didn't imagine that quote by Pep a year ago.

Womp

idiot
Great player, was evident before he moved to City though. The whole ginger thing just doesn't do it for me though.

arthurka

I am glad our players aren't this good.. According to Redcafe Rashford isn't really that good, Lukaku doesn't really do anything apart from scoring, Mkhitaryan isn't all that and our fringe players like Young and Fellaini are shit.. Imagine what we could do with some decent players of De Bruyne's quality..

SER19

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4938982/Kevin-Bruyne-line-win-PFA-Player-Year.html

Update "in line to win all the gongs", "genius" and so on in a completely unnecessary article. If you factor in that I believe he missed a game and was very slow to get started in opening two were talking about FOUR good performances. If this nonsense isn't vindication of exactly why I made the thread then nothing is. Again, I have nothing against de bruyne and my personal feelings towards his talent are in op. This is outright absurd.

Brightonian

He's a player who has purple patches, and has throughout his career. A lot of the things people are saying about him are true right now - he probably is the best attacking player in the league at the moment, he is looking pretty unplayable, etc etc. But he'll ease off a bit at some point and be back to just a good #10 amongst a handful of good #10s in the league.

Also, re the article in @SER19's post above, I can't fathom that thing you see in columns by barely-literate-player-turned-pundits where they say, for example, 'I call De Bruyne the locksmith'. I could swear I've seen similar 'I call him...' comments two or three times. Maybe they were all Keown, I don't remember. I mean, really? Do you? Can you imagine what a colossal twat that would make you in conversation?

'Oh, I reckon City will struggle against Stoke after the break, they really know how to park the bus.'
'Nah, City have The Locksmith, you can't keep him out.'
'The who now?'
'The Locksmith.'
'...'
'Kevin de Bruyne. I call Kevin de Bruyne The Locksmith.'

'FFS Martin, pick up your pint and go and sit somewhere else.'

Last edited:

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
While there's no doubting his quality, claims that he's the best in the League are quite off the mark. That title belongs to the likes of Sanchez and Hazard

Adnandos

I disagree and think hes just really bloody good. At Wolfsburg I really rated him and I was super upset when City signed him

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Of all the players we were supposedly in for, for me he was (and still is), the one we might regret not getting. He is one of those who can win games almost alone (as Ronaldo was for us in his final season at OT). ANyone who thinks he is overrated, I ask: would you be saying that if he was at United?

SER19

He's a player who has purple patches, and has throughout his career. A lot of the things people are saying about him are true right now - he probably is the best attacking player in the league at the moment, he is looking pretty unplayable, etc etc. But he'll ease off a bit at some point and be back to just a good #10 amongst a handful of good #10s in the league.

Also, re the article in @SER19's post above, I can't fathom that thing you see in columns by barely-literate-player-turned-pundits where they say, for example, 'I call De Bruyne the locksmith'. I could swear I've seen similar 'I call him...' comments two or three times. Maybe they were all Keown, I don't remember. I mean, really? Do you? Can you imagine what a colossal twat that would make you in conversation?

'Oh, I reckon City will struggle against Stoke after the break, they really know how to park the bus.'
'Nah, City have The Locksmith, you can't keep him out.'
'The who now?'
'The Locksmith.'
'...'
'Kevin de Bruyne. I call Kevin de Bruyne The Locksmith.'

'FFS Martin, pick up your pint and go and sit somewhere else.'
:lol: