De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenith

We are just assuming that he's agreed a new contract, right. No official or even semi official (BBC) yet.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
One less situation to deal with. He was shite towards the back end of last season but I’d back him to turn it around. That he’s signing for such a long period gives me hope about the message being spread throughout the club.
Pretty much this. Now we only have 3 positions to sort out.

Reminder: It's not our money, and our wage/revenue ratio is still one of the best in the league.

Bobski

Guiltily split on this. He has been great for us, but I can't ignore the concern that he might be a player with an early peak who will not age well as a keeper.

Most important season of his career coming up?

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
After the way he ended last season, I have a horrible feeling that this will go down as yet another horrible decision by the club.

I desperately hope I’m wrong, though, and that he’ll be right back as one of the top goalkeepers in the world once the new season kicks off. We need him at his best to have any chance of contending for top four.

AngryCroat

This is so stupid. Are we even 100% sure he is better keeper than Romero? I wouldn't bet my life on it. Now we need to give bigger salary to Alexis and Pogba too.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
They are obviously including bonuses etc in this wage but I think it's a mistake.

I just hope if he continues where he left off last season that Ole puts him on the bench regardless of whatever he's being paid. He should hopefully have learned his lesson after continuing to play him when it was clear he needed dropping.

Jazz

After the way he ended last season, I have a horrible feeling that this will go down as yet another horrible decision by the club.

I desperately hope I’m wrong, though, and that he’ll be right back as one of the top goalkeepers in the world once the new season kicks off. We need him at his best to have any chance of contending for top four.
Might be good if he worked on getting the basics right first of all...
I hope not as well, but I think it's a big mistake.

MisterLupus

Wages like these are insane way beyond what should be considered criminal - and mankind in general prioritizes like a bunch of simple-minded toddlers both drunk and on cocaine. That being said - the obvious aside - great news! Glad that's settled then :devil:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Reminder: It's not our money, and our wage/revenue ratio is still one of the best in the league.
Also reminder that we need to strengthen few more positions but looks like we are not ready to spend it for whatever reason.

DoomSlayer

Hopefully with that sort of wage, De Gea finally finds the motivation and concentration to improve his abilities on dealing with crosses and aerial duels, because he didn't move from his line against Inter.

Jazz

Hopefully with that sort of wage, De Gea finally finds the motivation and concentration to improve his abilities on dealing with crosses and aerial duels, because he didn't move from his line against Inter.
Unless he's forced to by the coaching team he ain't moving from that line. A bit hard to change your personality at his age. He was never the bravest and I can't see that changing.

AngryCroat

What are you talking about? :lol: :lol:
Is my english that bad that you can't understand it or what?
Paying that kind of wages for goalkeeper is just stupid. Paying it to a gk that is completely overrated and wants to milk this club (since he saw what others are doing) is really stupid.

DoomSlayer

Unless he's forced to by the coaching team he ain't moving from that line. A bit hard to change your personality at his age. He was never the bravest and I can't see that changing.
Then we are fecking up with this 6-year world record breaking deal. I'd rather De Gea becomes more authoritative, and provides more leadership and organisation to the defense, instead of having to face numerous shots per game.

AngryCroat

Then we are fecking up with this 6-year world record breaking deal. I'd rather De Gea becomes more authoritative, and provides more leadership and organisation to the defense, instead of having to face numerous shots per game.
Yes. Exactly this. His positioning is also so poor that actually makes his saves appear more attractive. But his reflexes will also noy get any better with age. Just poor decisions by the club with our squad. I'm not really looking forward to this season.

cyril C

Just hope the new goalkeeping coach can help him round out his game a bit more, and strengthen his weaknesses.
What, DDG is keeping his personal coach, so we have 3 keeper coach in a team, practically 1 for each keeper....

Jazz

I agree, but Dave has never been authoritative and he's not suddenly going to change. His personality is set. The club isn't being logical, they are going by emotion. They spoil him too much that's why he won't improve.

Anyway, Ole better put him on the bench if he's making a mess and costing us points.

starman

People moan about anything.

I am fine with it, at least we don't have to worry about him leaving for free next year, the hassle of him negotiating with other clubs in Jan, as well as needing to find a replacement. We have signed up one of the top 3 best goalkeepers in the world for 6 more years and will ensure to get maximum price if we sell him.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
That much money for a keeper who still can't perform the basics of his position is outrageous. He's been getting by on pure agility for the most part, and as he ages the reflexes will start to decline, but that's where the basics become more and more important. He still can't contend with crosses and his positioning is horrible. We should have cashed in on him and promoted Romero while Henderson gets ready to take over in a couple of years...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

I am fine with it, at least we don't have to worry about him leaving for free next year, the hassle of him negotiating with other clubs in Jan, as well as needing to find a replacement. We have signed up one of the top 3 best goalkeepers in the world for 6 more years and will ensure to get maximum price if we sell him.
We wouldn't have to search for a new keeper because we already have 2 who can take over with Romero (for now) and Henderson in a couple of years. As for his value, he is on the decline and no club (maybe PSG) would pay those wages or the transfer fee for him. We should have sold him last year...

predator

Youth NITK
It is a lot of money tbf, even in the mad world of football today.

But, let's say he regains form (I think he will), pulls us out the shit time and time again next season and his head is fully there, we all know madrid or PSG are out of the equation. We will be over the moon.

starman

We wouldn't have to search for a new keeper because we already have 2 who can take over with Romero (for now) and Henderson in a couple of years. As for his value, he is on the decline and no club (maybe PSG) would pay those wages or the transfer fee for him. We should have sold him last year...
Thats hindsight talking, based off his last 3 months, you probably need reminding of the previous month's and coming off picking up the player of the year, previously.

Sticking Romero or Henderson in, is wishful, if we are not careful we will end up in the same situation as when Schmeichel retired..

CM

Guiltily split on this. He has been great for us, but I can't ignore the concern that he might be a player with an early peak who will not age well as a keeper.

Most important season of his career coming up?
Definitely. He had a ropey season for us last year and expectations will be ramped up even further now with the new contract.

The hope will be that with his future sorted his performances will return to their best but it's a huge risk. I don't know how heavily incentivised the contract is but handing out lucrative long-term contracts to ageing players didn't work out well for us with Rooney and Sanchez.

Mac Asimov

this. People moaning about us signing a new contract with one of the best keepers in the world need their heads examined

Welbeckham

He’s hideously overrated and simply doesn’t deserve a new contract. We should just let him leave for free next summer, cause no one will pay him those wages he has in no way earned.

He can’t come out of his line, he doesn’t know how to play football like a modern goalkeeper. He’s mentally weak and his lack of confidence affects the whole team. Anyone who thinks that he’s one of top 5 goalkeepers in the world, doesn’t know a single thing about goal-keeping. Apart from making saves (which he also apparently can’t do like he used to), there are other ways to help your team as a goalkeeper, De Gea simply doesn’t excel in any of those areas.

Mr. Meeseeks

Wow. With fans like these, who needs opposition fans? He has been the worlds best goalkeeper for a number of years prior to this one. I would like to hear anyone suggest anyone other than perhaps Oblak who has had a better career. His mentality might be weak (he also had a bad run of form during his first season for us when he was under the most pressure), but with his future sorted, that burden on him is lifted so he can concentrate on playing.

He is a club legend.

Halftrack

So we've gone from "best keeper in the world" to "hideously overrated, should have been allowed to leave on a free next because he hasn't deserved a new contract". Based on what? An average season (for him) with a couple of months of poor form towards the end?

Some people have the memory of fecking gnats.

Apokalips

So we've gone from "best keeper in the world" to "hideously overrated, should have been allowed to leave on a free next because he hasn't deserved a new contract". Based on what? An average season (for him) with a couple of months of poor form towards the end?

I'm honestly speechless, but at the same time not surprised with the way fans have been acting on here. It's crazy how often people regarded him as possibly our best ever and now they turn so viciously on him. I frequent player threads less and less these days because of things like this.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Wow. With fans like these, who needs opposition fans? He has been the worlds best goalkeeper for a number of years prior to this one. I would like to hear anyone suggest anyone other than perhaps Oblak who has had a better career. His mentality might be weak (he also had a bad run of form during his first season for us when he was under the most pressure), but with his future sorted, that burden on him is lifted so he can concentrate on playing.

He is a club legend.
Club legend? Catch yourself on, he's a decent player who has done well for us, and also cost us on more than a few occasions, he is no legend. No player since saf retired can be classed as a legend.

Mac Asimov

A club legend and this deal will potentially make him the longest serving goalkeeper in our history (or at least postwar - not sure previous to that off the top of my head). Some fans have no respect for dedicated team members who have served us well in the past (see the young booing yesterday).

Shark

@NotShark
Club legend? Catch yourself on, he's a decent player who has done well for us, and also cost us on more than a few occasions, he is no legend. No player since saf retired can be classed as a legend.
A decent player :lol: he cost us last season, that’s it in 8 years here and he won a title under SAF at only 22, making countless key saves that season. Maybe you need to catch yourself on.

Lemansky

Decent player? Best goalkeeper in the world for a long period. Don’t rewrite history. He has been our best player for years.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

QFT. Some of you are nothing short of embarrassing.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Best keeper in the world? Best shot stopper in the world granted. He's crap at coming for crosses and shits his pants when he has to come off his line.

Lemansky

Best keeper in the world? Best shot stopper in the world granted. He's crap at coming for crosses and shits his pants when he has to come off his line.
He has no problems coming of his line. He struggled his first season after that he has been pretty flawless. We don’t let in goals because of his ability on set pieces. He is a club legend in my view and that will be undisputed after 6 more years here.

Status
Not open for further replies.