De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I really don't think that's the case. He's still too young to decline physically. To me it seems though hes very weak mentally. If he gets criticized too much or makes too many mistakes it affects him (Spain), if he has ongoing contract negotiation it affects him. Doesn't command his box and pussies out of 1v1s. Some use it to defend him "just distracted atm because of contract situation" To me that's a bit worrying. He's still one of my favourite players and i'm happy he stays but i'm not too sure of the importance of keepers and think the team in front of them are much more important. If the numbers are true it's crazy money for a keeper to hold 10 shots a game and not have to run and stuff. What i always wonder is all those great saves he did how many of those would have been held too by Romero or others? impossible to know... Romero is on 60k (if true) is De Gea really 6times as good?
The fecker is glued to his line and his distribution is piss poor. He also spent months last season chucking the ball into his own net. Highest paid keeper in the world? My arse.

Rossa

His dip in form is also a bit exaggerated on here. He only had a bad run of a few games which did cost us a lot. Reading some comments on here it sound like he was bad for the whole of last season. Reality is that he saved us valuable points for most of it.
You're right. Although even for the majority of last season, he was not quite up to his own standards, as stats will also highlight.

Fox outside the box

What a load of old guff. The only player who has been turned on this weekend is Ashley Young - and that's been roundly, and rightly - condemned by most posters. This here is just debate.

Questioning the length of a contract is not the same as not recognising a player's former worth. Wondering whether a player coming off a (by his high standards) mediocre season is having a blip or starting his decline is a question we've asked plenty over the past few seasons. And again, that doesn't mean the same posters aren't grateful for his almost superhuman efforts since Fergie left.
Chill out kiddo, there have been plenty of posters claiming De Gea is average or has finally been found out etc.

I wasn't talking about you specifically and questioning whether a player with 10 or so years of their career left, who has consistently been one of the best in his position for years is on a 'decline' after a few months, which had some games where he made a mistake in is typical of the online special cases who claim to be fans of the club. He's made something like 10 errors leading to goals in his career and around half that was in a short space back in April ish. That's called bad form and coupled with the entire team really struggling, does common sense not lead you to give the guy a break?

His bad patch really is being exaggerated. If you want to claim that our online fan base are critical thinkers, put thought, logic and reason in to what they post, as well as research their opinions then be my guest....

Also, I said nothing about the length of contract or directly responded to anything from this weekend. You seem to have jumped on my reply which was in response to the general critisicm that have been put his way across this and other forums.

starman

It's based on a lot longer than the last 3 months. Maybe some others have only been talking about it for that long, but I have been on it for at least a couple of years. He's had some great games with unbelievable saves, but he has always struggled at the basics and I've been calling for his sale ever since Real Madrid came calling a couple of years ago...
Wait! so, you would have been happy seeing him leave for 30m if faxgate had never happened...?

Infestissumam

I'm fine with that. The only player who's been here longer is Smalling, and he probably won't be first choice. Might as well give it to someone who always plays and who's "earned" it.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
So... he didn't 'hold the club to ransom', like when young, more 'charismatic' outfield players do the exact same thing...?

Good to see him stay, but it's too much to pay a shot-stopper keeper imo.

If he conducted the defense in front of him, and / or was very good with distribution as well as having his amazing shot-stopper skills, then maybe - but he really doesn't.

romufc

He's made something like 10 errors leading to goals in his career and around half that was in a short space back in April ish. That's called bad form and coupled with the entire team really struggling, does common sense not lead you to give the guy a break?
Exactly, he has saved us for 4 seasons in a row! He is allowed to have a bit of bad form, I rather it was last season when we were poor and hopefully this season he will be back to his best. Everyone will forget it once he gets back to form.

He has been our most consistent performer, he clearly had a dream to play for Madrid but since that has not happened, he hasnt pushed a move anywhere else, he clearly loves this club.

Didn't fans want players who play for the club? With him signing a long term contract at his age, surely he is motivated to win trophies with Utd?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
On one level, the money being offered him is fecking madness. On another, it probably makes sense. The level it makes sense on would be typical Woodward. Thinking like an accountant. De Gea is a very valuable asset who can leave on a free in the near future. Woodward no doubt thinks that paying 375k/week for the next few years is offset by the tens of millions of pounds we’d lose if De Gea saw out his contract and we got nothing for him.

I read an article over the weekend which gave another interesting insight into Woodward’s thinking (which may or may not be true) where the journo said that Woodward happy for us to have a bloated squad because he sees the players as assets that are inflating in value as transfer fees go up and up, season by season.

Obviously, a seriously flawed way of running a football club but presumably makes sense to a bean counter like him.

Canagel

The state of this fecking thread. DDG is an incredible player and anyone seriously questioning his ability, or even suggesting Romero is a better keeper should just delete their account. Why are half of you even here? You clearly detest the club and everything associated with it. Time for the mods to start wielding the ban hammer, and get this forum back to a somewhat tolerable place to discuss the club.
Romero certainly instills more confidence on high balls and crosses.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Chill out kiddo, there have been plenty of posters claiming De Gea is average or has finally been found out etc.

I wasn't talking about you specifically and questioning whether a player with 10 or so years of their career left, who has consistently been one of the best in his position for years is on a 'decline' after a few months, which had some games where he made a mistake in is typical of the online special cases who claim to be fans of the club. He's made something like 10 errors leading to goals in his career and around half that was in a short space back in April ish. That's called bad form and coupled with the entire team really struggling, does common sense not lead you to give the guy a break?

His bad patch really is being exaggerated. If you want to claim that our online fan base are critical thinkers, put thought, logic and reason in to what they post, as well as research their opinions then be my guest....

Also, I said nothing about the length of contract or directly responded to anything from this weekend. You seem to have jumped on my reply which was in response to the general critisicm that have been put his way across this and other forums.
Yeah, you're right. It's aimed more at the holier-

Apologies for firing off in your direction. You're right, it was a general complaint aimed at the posters who insist on splitting opinion into 2 binary sections of 'He's a legend, call yourself a fan?!' and 'He's no better than Romero, this is fecking stupid' when, in reality, it's much more complex than that and does warrant debate.

As ever, some utterly stupid shit has been posted about this contract but I can see both sides.

Personally I thought his form was patchy all season, with him being an actual liability for a while. If that was a blip then great, one of the best keepers in the world has committed the rest of his career to us. There's risk attached though. And I think it would be fairly naive to ignore that.

Cheers for the moderate, sensible reply anyway.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Massive overpaid and he is not even the best keeper in England. Fanboys will defend him even if he asked for 500k. When Rashford signed for 200k, people are demanding him to get 20 goals. So what for De Gea ? fewer than 30 goals concealed?

I hope Henderson DON'T sign a new contract and go on and becoming a top top keeper , maybe England #1 . And we have to spend 200m to buy him in 2025
I think it's time to for you to switch to City mate.

Canagel

So he's better than DDG, yeah?
Didn't say that. However there's far more to goalkeeping than stopping shots . If people like you want to bury their heads in the sand and continue deluding yourselves he's the perfect goalkeeper fine but it don't really change his clear flaws however you choose to ignore it. No-one says he didn't do good things in the past or is a bad player but at the same time it don't make sense to overrate him beyond his level.
That's doesn't make everyone else not tolerable but actually reasonable. Infact there's people on here saying things like he already has legendary status etc that's even more delusional and laughable that it doesn't even deserve a reply.

DoomSlayer

What always worries me is the club doesn't have a long-term vision, a plan B and C if shit hits the fan. We almost always go balls deep in such situations and potential failure almost cripples us, like the Sanchez deal.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I would definitely give him the captaincy.

1. He’s been our best player for a number of seasons (excluding the last one which is just a dip in form)

2. Experienced

3. Knows what the club is about

4. My favourite current player

Sir Scott McToMinay

I would definitely give him the captaincy.

1. He’s been our best player for a number of seasons (excluding the last one which is just a dip in form)

2. Experienced

3. Knows what the club is about

4. My favourite current player
What about his complete lack of leaderships qualities and wanting to move every summer for half a decade now?

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
What about his complete lack of leaderships qualities and wanting to move every summer for half a decade now?
Wanting to move? He’s never made any statements that show that. He’s always been quiet and respectable to the club. Maybe there were things going on behind the scenes but never has he made noises in the media, unlike say Pogba.

Did Beckham have great leadership qualities in terms of bring vocal? No, but he commanded respect and was a class player who could increase the morale based on his work rate and determination. De Gea is the same with the performances he puts in and how he’s saved this team countless times.

Vault Dweller

Wanting to move? He’s never made any statements that show that. He’s always been quiet and respectable to the club. Maybe there were things going on behind the scenes but never has he made noises in the media, unlike say Pogba.

Did Beckham have great leadership qualities in terms of bring vocal? No, but he commanded respect and was a class player who could increase the morale based on his work rate and determination. De Gea is the same with the performances he puts in and how he’s saved this team countless times.
Agreed 100%.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I don't have much to complain about how much he earns. Of all the players we've overpaid over the last 6 years, he's the one who deserves it the most.

I'm skeptical about his distribution and his last season was worrisome in terms of shot stopping as well, but I'd fully endorse a decision to back him to do well. When he's on form, he actually wins us games.

I'm glad we look like we're keeping both Pogba and DDG. They're the only truly world class players on our team.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Didn't say that. However there's far more to goalkeeping than stopping shots . If people like you want to bury their heads in the sand and continue deluding yourselves he's the perfect goalkeeper fine but it don't really change his clear flaws however you choose to ignore it. No-one says he didn't do good things in the past or is a bad player but at the same time it don't make sense to overrate him beyond his level.
That's doesn't make everyone else not tolerable but actually reasonable. Infact there's people on here saying things like he already has legendary status etc that's even more delusional and laughable that it doesn't even deserve a reply.
The two points I made were he was an incredible player and he’s certainly not worse than Romero. So which one is it you disagree with?

Who said he was the perfect goal keeper? Who is? Great to have some examples.

He was the best fecking keeper in the world, one bad season below his usual standard when our club was in disarray doesn’t all of a sudden make him an overrated player. Anyone who can seriously sit there and question his ability to the point where they can start suggesting average keepers or back ups as better than he can piss off. Take your perennial moaning elsewhere. Perhaps if our defence weren’t as leaky as Henry’s shitty bucket then the few aspects of his game that aren’t world class wouldn’t repeatedly be tested.

He’s won more Sir Matt Busby Awards than any other, he’s dug us out of holes more often than any keeper we’ve ever had. If the players around him were of the same level as he, and we were actually winning trophies, then he would quite rightly be discussed as a legend. But if you like, you can just ignore everything he’s done before last season, and chuck him in with the rest of the underachievers at the club.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He's won our player of the year four times. What is laughable is 18 months ago this whole forum and most other football fans were wanking themselves silly over De Gea but now he's just a 'decent player' and only done some 'good things' because of a few mistakes and an average season. Amazing how fickle our fan base is at times. Calling him a legend is a bit premature but six years from now I'm sure it will be different and he'll go down as one of our greatest goalkeepers.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
The two points I made were he was an incredible player and he’s certainly not worse than Romero. So which one is it you disagree with?

He was the best fecking keeper in the world, one bad season below his usual standard when our club was in disarray doesn’t all of a sudden make him an overrated player. Anyone who can seriously sit there and question his ability to the point where they can start suggesting average keepers or back ups as better than he can piss off. Take your perennial moaning elsewhere. Perhaps if our defence weren’t as leaky as Henry’s shitty bucket then the few aspects of his game that aren’t world class wouldn’t repeatedly be tested.

He’s won more Sir Matt Busby Awards than any other, he’s dug us out of holes more often than any keeper we’ve ever had. If the players around him were of the same level as he, and we were actually winning trophies, then he would quite rightly be discussed as a legend. But if you like, you can just ignore everything he’s done before last season, and chuck him in with the rest of the underachievers at the club.
Well said.

Offsideagain

DDG is entitled to a loss of form. He’s human although some of his saves make be think he isn’t at times. As stated elsewhere, he is part of the defence which is generally regarded as crap by our usual standards so he’s had a tougher time than Shmeics and the rest.

Whatever Hey pay him is obviously too much but that’s the way wages in the PL are going. Bale gets £600k pow for gods sake. I hope he does sign and soon.

Revan

Assumptionman
Still think that these are great news. I truly believe that last season was an exception, rather than him suddenly becoming a shit keeper. Even last season he had 10/10 performances, like the one against Spurs, and while reflex keepers might decline early, he is still just 28 so he should have another 4-5 years before he starts declining.

With him back at his best, AWB and hopefully Maguire, our defense should be much much stronger (actually it would be our strongest point).

Revan

Assumptionman
On one level, the money being offered him is fecking madness. On another, it probably makes sense. The level it makes sense on would be typical Woodward. Thinking like an accountant. De Gea is a very valuable asset who can leave on a free in the near future. Woodward no doubt thinks that paying 375k/week for the next few years is offset by the tens of millions of pounds we’d lose if De Gea saw out his contract and we got nothing for him.

I read an article over the weekend which gave another interesting insight into Woodward’s thinking (which may or may not be true) where the journo said that Woodward happy for us to have a bloated squad because he sees the players as assets that are inflating in value as transfer fees go up and up, season by season.

Obviously, a seriously flawed way of running a football club but presumably makes sense to a bean counter like him.
On another level, only 8 months ago he was widely regarded as the best keeper in the planet and even got into (typically La Liga dominated) FifPro best XI. Him being bad for a few months doesn't make him a bad keeper forever. If he turns out to his best (and I see no reason why he won't), he would still be in the discussion for the best keeper in the world with the likes of Ter Stegen, Oblak and Becker.

rotherham_red

His distribution being crap is overstated. He was certainly good with it when he first joined and was decent enough at it when LvG was in the dugout. I anticipate that he'll get back to those levels this season as its a prerequisite for Ole ball.

Vault Dweller

Boom.

Alabaster Codify7

We definitely shouldn't be giving him the captain's armband, as is being reported in several places now.

A captain should be vocal, driven and above all, a fierce leader. DDG is none of those things - he barely marshals his own area and never opens his mouth. The only GK I've seen that I thought 'yep, that's a leader' was Schmeichs. I am a former GK and I do not support giving a keeper the armband - the captain, for me, needs to be fully in the mixer for 90mins. Especially not a keeper who barely speaks.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
We definitely shouldn't be giving him the captain's armband, as is being reported in several places now.

A captain should be vocal, driven and above all, a fierce leader. DDG is none of those things - he barely marshals his own area and never opens his mouth. The only GK I've seen that I thought 'yep, that's a leader' was Schmeichs. I am a former GK and I do not support giving a keeper the armband - the captain, for me, needs to be fully in the mixer for 90mins. Especially not a keeper who barely speaks.
Totally agree

Status
Not open for further replies.