De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Judging by the few matches he played this season Romero is actually better than De Gea.
You can't have seen him warming up at OT before the Barca game. Literally every pass/shot towards Grant ended up in the stands. Every. Single. One. He spent more time apologising to fans for blasting it at them than he did warming up.

0le

Some (and a bit more) perspective is needed here..First of all, it's mostly a shit article...Underlined by this glorious line:

It suggests that, on average, De Gea would have been expected to concede between 46 and 47 Premier League goals. Instead, he has let in 50, which is more than all but three goalkeepers in the country and the most that United have conceded in 40 years.

De Gea is the outlier and it's costing United.

So essentially, the expected goals agains us is around 47, we've let in 50, and De Gea is the issue because we've let in 3 more than the expected 47 :lol:...Is the problem the 6% he's "accountable" for, or the remaining 94%

It'd be a good idea to take a look at why the xGA was fecking 47...

Our xGA was almost 44 last season...GA ended up at 28.

It's essentially shit, because they're going for cheap arguments instead of digging deeper. Like how he's conceded 8 goals from outside the box, while Lloris, Ederson and Alisson have a combined 7. 8 goals against, xGA was 6,65. Is the problem that the number is 8 while the rest have lt in less ? The stats would suggest that almost 7 of those goals were expected to go in.

The opposition averaged 4.55 shots on target against us, more or less what they managed combined against Liverpool and City.

Is aimless long balls a result of inability to pick out teammates or is it because of the way we've set out to play combined with the players we have available. I suppose it's a quick check in terms of comparing short range passes to long range passes between the other goalkeepers, amount of passes, would probably paint a decent picture (he averages almost twice as many long balls as Ederson and Alisson per match)

In terms of failing to command his defence, and generally coming off the line, fair enough, but is this a major concern at this stage ? The CB is supposed to command and control the defence, isn't it a slightly larger concern that none of our centre backs are leaders (or halfway decent, for that matter). If we had Van Dijk, would anyone be concerned that De Gea isn't commanding enough ? The main problem is our defenders.

We're at a stage where we need to replace quite a lot of players, and for some bizarre reason people want to throw out arguably our two best performers in De Gea and Pogba. It might come as a surprise to some, but we're certainly not going to sign 11 players this summer.

The going rate for top quality goalkeepers, and we'll need one if we sell De Gea because Romero sure as hell isn't one, is sky high these days. In terms of Pogba, look at what Barcelona forked out for Dembele, Coutinho....

We already have more than enough gaps to fill, the essentials this summer is to keep all the quality players and strengthen the squad.
I agree with everything you said, but what should the club do if DDG is asking for wages which the club cannot meet?

Johan07

Apparently, wages aren't really the issue. Agent wants a ton of money.
Its getting more and more common for agents to demand a big slice of the pie when renewing a contract or in a regular transfer. Then they kick a big part back of it to the player via some accounts in the Caymans, some arab state or wherever and voila; the player will have avoided being income taxed for what really is a sign-on fee. I can understand United not agreeing to extreme demands in cases like this, even if regrettably its part of the game now and FIFA/UEFA do not seem to do anything about it.

UncleBob

I agree with everything you said, but what should the club do if DDG is asking for wages which the club cannot meet?
If his wage demands are insane and/or it's related to agent fees that we're unwilling to meet, then allow him to leave on a free next season (unless an insane offer comes in that we'd be stupid to turn down)

koop

How much can we actually get for this guy realistically?

I am all for cashing in on him and using Romero as I think Romero is more than good enough as a replacement.
The money we get for De Gea can be recycled for more transfers.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
People are fecking kidding themselves if they truly believe that Romero can replace DDG.

Devil81

Let him head off with the rest of the overpaid ungrateful players this club have signed over the last 7 years.

I'd rather we sign someone who isn't going to hold the club to ransom every year.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
People are fecking kidding themselves if they truly believe that Romero can replace DDG.
No-one thinks it won’t be a step down, but he’s been reliable when called upon. I don’t see any issue with promoting Romero and using the cash elsewhere.

Kearnkoff69

I love De Gea but if he's going to play hardball and ask for insane wages/agent fees, then it is time to part ways. I am all about paying top dollar to keep your best talent, but there also needs to be (a) a cost-benefit analysis with a clear break-even point where acquiescing to a player's demands is no longer the most beneficial course for us as a club; and (b) players need to want to play here for something beyond the pay scale. I am of the mind that top players should not take "home town deals" with their clubs, necessarily, but also that if they truly love playing for a team/living in a city then they ought to demonstrate that by coming to the table ready to negotiate instead of taking a hard line. It would be sad for our relationship with Dave to end like this, but if it has to be this way, then it has to be.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Some (and a bit more) perspective is needed here..First of all, it's mostly a shit article...Underlined by this glorious line:

It suggests that, on average, De Gea would have been expected to concede between 46 and 47 Premier League goals. Instead, he has let in 50, which is more than all but three goalkeepers in the country and the most that United have conceded in 40 years.

De Gea is the outlier and it's costing United.

So essentially, the expected goals agains us is around 47, we've let in 50, and De Gea is the issue because we've let in 3 more than the expected 47 :lol:...Is the problem the 6% he's "accountable" for, or the remaining 94%

It'd be a good idea to take a look at why the xGA was fecking 47...

Our xGA was almost 44 last season...GA ended up at 28.

It's essentially shit, because they're going for cheap arguments instead of digging deeper. Like how he's conceded 8 goals from outside the box, while Lloris, Ederson and Alisson have a combined 7. 8 goals against, xGA was 6,65. Is the problem that the number is 8 while the rest have lt in less ? The stats would suggest that almost 7 of those goals were expected to go in.

The opposition averaged 4.55 shots on target against us, more or less what they managed combined against Liverpool and City.

Is aimless long balls a result of inability to pick out teammates or is it because of the way we've set out to play combined with the players we have available. I suppose it's a quick check in terms of comparing short range passes to long range passes between the other goalkeepers, amount of passes, would probably paint a decent picture (he averages almost twice as many long balls as Ederson and Alisson per match)

In terms of failing to command his defence, and generally coming off the line, fair enough, but is this a major concern at this stage ? The CB is supposed to command and control the defence, isn't it a slightly larger concern that none of our centre backs are leaders (or halfway decent, for that matter). If we had Van Dijk, would anyone be concerned that De Gea isn't commanding enough ? The main problem is our defenders.

We're at a stage where we need to replace quite a lot of players, and for some bizarre reason people want to throw out arguably our two best performers in De Gea and Pogba. It might come as a surprise to some, but we're certainly not going to sign 11 players this summer.

The going rate for top quality goalkeepers, and we'll need one if we sell De Gea because Romero sure as hell isn't one, is sky high these days. In terms of Pogba, look at what Barcelona forked out for Dembele, Coutinho....

We already have more than enough gaps to fill, the essentials this summer is to keep all the quality players and strengthen the squad.

Em, yes, of course it is, it's always a concern, at any stage since football began.
Why wouldn't it be?

UncleBob

Em, yes, of course it is, it's always a concern, at any stage since football began.
Why wouldn't it be?
Since you state "since football began" I assume you're referring to my comment about commanding the defenders, since goalkeepers acting like sweepers is a more modern thing.

I disagree, it's not all that relevant at the highest level of football, goalkeepers will generally command defenders on set pieces and they are expected to dominate their area inside the box, but apart from that things happen far too quickly when the ball is in play for the goalkeeper to organize anything. Biggest issues were in De Gea's early days at United when our cb's expected him to come and collect the ball but he didn't, so they had to clear it wide instead. These days clubs generally have a clear first choice cb that's also the leader at the back, he also sets the line and when to fall off.

The pressing concern is obvious, a cb that isn't a complete idiot and/or injury plagued, the fact that Smalling seems to be our natural leader at the back should be more than good enough as a warning sign.

Renegade

I fear another Howard/Carroll situation for a few seasons if he goes.

No confidence in Romero making the step up. Don’t underestimate the difference between performing in 10 games a season to 40+.

However we shouldn’t bow to De gea’s demands. Funny thing is everyone would have said pay him what ever he wants before the season just gone.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
If the stories about Ole and Rashford’s contracts are true, you can’t blame DDG for taking us to the cleaners. The club has learnt nothing.

ExecutionerWasp001

He's entitled to ask for mega money. We have a player with the heart of a mouse that does nothing & yet is our highest earner. It's only right that someone regularly voted our player of the season should want parity. It's a very tricky situation for the board though. If we give into his demands, & he brings his form from last season into next, as well as being behind the same defence then things could get very ugly.

Roboc7

He’ll run his contract down and leave on a free transfer next season. Don’t see the incentive for him to sign a new contract and not sure who needs a keeper so much they would pay 50m for him.

Green_Red

He’ll run his contract down and leave on a free transfer next season. Don’t see the incentive for him to sign a new contract and not sure who needs a keeper so much they would pay 50m for him.
If he leaves on a free we've had our moneys worth so feck it.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
If he really has rejected our last contract offer, we should sell him. Better than having him here with his wages which are pretty high and have the kind of form he's had for the past few months.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
According to Spoofex (Reddit ITK) we intend on releasing him on a free transfer at the end of next season.

If that’s what he plans to do I hope we buy a new GK so he can sit on the bench next season.

redshaw

If true I would not want him playing another game. Hopefully we can arrange a sale with PSG even if it's a small fee as they surely need a keeper.

I couldn't handle De Gea saving one week and waving them in the next. I was adamant he should not play against Chelsea. He can't be relied upon now sadly.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Sack him off this summer if he ain’t renewing. 100%. Promote Henderson and let’s go from there.

feck having someone who intend to leave us within the season.

The UTD Way

If he really has rejected our last contract offer, we should sell him. Better than having him here with his wages which are pretty high and have the kind of form he's had for the past few months.
Or teach him a lesson & bench him for a year, let him rot if he wants out so bad, use Romero or Henderson!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Seems like that's that then. Wish him well wherever he goes.

I do hope Duncan Castles is right in that Ole may use this as an opportunity to build a team that is capable of playing a high line. But it will need more than just a GK comfortable with a high line.

R'hllor

Keep till his contract expires!? Arsenal mode enabled. Its actually funny, he cost us points in last few games probably due his head not being in right state because of whole contract situation and people laughed, raged at LvG for dropping him at the time till transfer window closed.

cyberman

PSG are the worst move for him too. They play out from the back and he'll be expected to come off his line.
Theyll be signing Spain's version of him.

Flying_Heckfish

If there's an ounce of truth we will sell. At least we will get some value unlike with Ander and probably Mata.

Romero isn't a bad keeper and it would give us the opportunity to promote Henderson.

It's not the doomsday scenario it was a couple of seasons ago, for sure.

Canagel

Get rid asap. He's going to ruin next season too otherwise. We can use the funds to strengthen our team and stop to rely on the goalkeeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.