De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

Lux Thunder

Anyone know if that is a reliable source? @mazhar13
To be honest, haven't heard about or watched him before Anderlecht's tie against Villarreal but boy, he was immense against them and the biggest reason why they progressed to the quarter-finals as he conceded only one goal from accumulated xGA of 3.68 in those two games.

Apart from the great shot-stopping ability that he showed in both games, especially in the second leg, in their home fixture when they had quite a decent amount of possession he also showed his abilities on the ball both with short passing and with his precise launches and long balls.

Still wouldn't make any conclusions as I have watched him on just two occasions but his progress post-WC is great - not just that he benched their current captain and experienced goalkeeper, but he also earned his first NT call-up. Surely, we should be interested in his progress and what he can offer in the future.

RopersReturn

The Dortmund #1 Gregor Kobel didn't start yesterday due to injury.

I think a keeper with a well rounded game that has good distribution, sweeping and shot prevention via cross claiming, would take us up a level. The likes of Gregor Kobel and Diogo Costa are just two, of a number of options I feel should be considered. The vid below analysing Diogo Costa is a good example of the things which we need from a keeper.

It’s a no brainier, we have to buy Costa.

lex talionis

Yes, we must get rid of De Gea. How about Whitworth of Palace? Looking brilliant right now against Arsenal.

Wilt

Put in a bid for Edouard Mendy, he’s stalling on signing a new contract.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Replacing goal keepers is so hard, I'm not sure this is the priority folks make it out to be. I just suspect having these ball playing keepers is the cherry on top rather than the base.

bucky

Het Laaste Nieuws is not bad, but I wouldn't necessarily consider them to be very reliable. I'd wait for more reliable sources to corroborate this news.
To be honest, haven't heard about or watched him before Anderlecht's tie against Villarreal but boy, he was immense against them and the biggest reason why they progressed to the quarter-finals as he conceded only one goal from accumulated xGA of 3.68 in those two games.

Apart from the great shot-stopping ability that he showed in both games, especially in the second leg, in their home fixture when they had quite a decent amount of possession he also showed his abilities on the ball both with short passing and with his precise launches and long balls.

Still wouldn't make any conclusions as I have watched him on just two occasions but his progress post-WC is great - not just that he benched their current captain and experienced goalkeeper, but he also earned his first NT call-up. Surely, we should be interested in his progress and what he can offer in the future.
Thanks! Well, hopefully there is some truth to it and we try to sign him. Sounds exaclty like the kind of goalkeeper we should be targeting.

FerociousCorgis

Jesus people. We have a CF who can't do anything but make a 2 yard pass occasionally, a RW I forgot was even playing, a number 10 who just wants to try 1 percent hollywood passes every time, and a non existent central midfield who can't pass to save their lives... but clearly still all Ddg fault because he did one bad thing

lex talionis

Replacing goal keepers is so hard, I'm not sure this is the priority folks make it out to be. I just suspect having these ball playing keepers is the cherry on top rather than the base.
You don't understand. We must get rid of our keeper who's proven to be the one of the top shot stoppers in the sport.

Kassadin

Replacing the goal keeper is definitely not our next biggest priority. We have far too many pressing needs before the GK spot needs to be addressed. We have a striker who cannot score, right winger that cannot get past his marker and no midfielders bar Casemiro that can receive the ball from defense and carry it forward. De Gea for all his shortcomings, at least has some redeeming qualities. Sure, a sweeper keeper would be nice. But I'd sign a striker and a ball carrying midfielder before thinking about spending money on a keeper.

daba

Yep it’s not easy and we as a club have seen that in the past. However both Pep and Klopp invested (rather heavily in the latter’s case) in a ball playing keeper either as soon as they could or as soon as they got the funds to.

Have said this previously in this thread. I see us either extending De Gea’s contract on significantly reduced terms and in the summer we sign a young modern keeper. Or we let De Gea and his massive contract go and sign a ready to go starter.

Either way, we will invest in a GK this summer.

Lux Thunder

I think it's a very good question to address and it depends on various things. Every coaching staff will ideally prefer to start with build-up play IMO and goalkeepers are a big part of today's game but in a club like ours, you have to be pragmatic in between the process and win games because you will run out of time to fully implement your ideas.

That's what I like the most about ETH, he can be pragmatic when needed and he has won us a great number of games, probably more than we all expected at the start of the season and he would win even more if he had reliable and proper no.9 in the team. And looking pragmatically, to win games you will still need DDG's saves - that's where divided opinions on this particular topic mostly start.

In less pressing/expectation circumstances, let's say Brentford or Tottenham, it would be the base rather than a cherry on the top. I still see GK's position among the top 3 priorities along with signing CF and CM.

Oranges038

DDG certainly has his flaws, but do tell us who could pull off those acrobatic saves.
Any amount of them could. Bazunu made a similar save to the Willian one last week and he's not made many saves all season. All those jizzing their pants over a few saves today, were noticeably quiet the last couple of weeks. Ask yourself why?

Because he wasn't making any big saves and all his flaws were in full show. They think being a keeper is all about these types of saves and have convinced themselves that only DDG can make them.

Look he did well today, there's no denying it, he did part of his job he made his saves but neglected other parts of his role as usual. Standard expected performance from him at this stage.

lex talionis

5 years ago.

Did well today. But those were saves you'd expect most keepers to makes.
No chance in hell do Raya or Ramsdale or “most keepers” make those saves. I’ll grant you Alisson and Courtois, but no one else who’s on anyone’s fantasy shopping list.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
De Gea is still a fantstic stopper. Obviously having the ball at his feet isn't his storngest feature, and as he turns 33 this year I can see why we might want to look to getting a replacement if someone truly exceptional is available. However, no way is he the biggest priority in terms of recruitment.

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Maybe they can re-train him over the summer and get him to be more proactive. Just put a bunch of Krispy Kreme doughnuts outside the box and I am sure he will be running out in a jiffy.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Maybe they can re-train him over the summer and get him to be more proactive. Just put a bunch of Krispy Kreme doughnuts outside the box and I am sure he will be running out in a jiffy.
Don't give up the day job.

Varun1

Any amount of them could. Bazunu made a similar save to the Willian one last week and he's not made many saves all season. All those jizzing their pants over a few saves today, were noticeably quiet the last couple of weeks. Ask yourself why?

Because he wasn't making any big saves and all his flaws were in full show. They think being a keeper is all about these types of saves and have convinced themselves that only DDG can make them.

Look he did well today, there's no denying it, he did part of his job he made his saves but neglected other parts of his role as usual. Standard expected performance from him at this stage.
Mate I've only asked you to name those many keepers that can pull out similar saves. All you've given me is Bazunu in one game. In your own words, Bazunu was doing part of his job in that game, but wasn't making big saves and was poor for large parts of this season.

I know DDG's flaws, I've said as much in my post.

Oranges038

Mate I've only asked you to name those many keepers that can pull out similar saves. All you've given me is Bazunu in one game. In your own words, Bazunu was doing part of his job in that game, but wasn't making big saves and was poor for large parts of this season.

I know DDG's flaws, I've said as much in my post.
Yeap. And that just proves that on any given day, even a keeper who is having a terrible season is capable of pulling off different types of saves.

So I my opinion people who think only DDG can make these saves are just wrong. And they use it as justification to ignore all his others flaws. It really just shows how little they understand the role and influence the keeper can have in the team beyond just making saves.

Bojan Djordjic

De Gea is still a fantstic stopper. Obviously having the ball at his feet isn't his storngest feature, and as he turns 33 this year I can see why we might want to look to getting a replacement if someone truly exceptional is available. However, no way is he the biggest priority in terms of recruitment.
Is anybody saying that though? I mean CF is clearly the priority but we're not going to challenge for the league with one acquisition so we need to be ambitious. De Gea is holding back our build up because he can't be trusted in possession and therefore we can't really rely on him to lure forwards out of their pressing shapes to make space further upfield.

Herman Toothrot

I agree with this 100%. Every inconsequential miskick gives this thread a hard-on, but he kept us in the FA Cup yesterday and continues to win us points when we're not at the races.

IRONTUSK

Replacing GK`s is notoriously difficult/risky or at least it has been for us in recent memory.

I`m not saying that`s reason enough to not replace DDG but unless we have heavily scouted someone and have a clear idea of who it`s going to be then we should renew DDG contract.
He isn`t the best at commanding the area or playing it out but he is a good shot stopper.

arnie_ni

Haha..fair enough but I actually don't think many fans would agree that he is the main priority to replace. Most would say CF, CM, RB and then GK or CB.
There's quite a few would say it's number 1 I think if you polled it

lysglimt

Scout
Yep it’s not easy and we as a club have seen that in the past. However both Pep and Klopp invested (rather heavily in the latter’s case) in a ball playing keeper either as soon as they could or as soon as they got the funds to.

Have said this previously in this thread. I see us either extending De Gea’s contract on significantly reduced terms and in the summer we sign a young modern keeper. Or we let De Gea and his massive contract go and sign a ready to go starter.

Either way, we will invest in a GK this summer.
Yes they did - but that is because they both had crap goalkeepers. Not because they had a world-class goalkeeper on the line - who wasn't very good with the ball at his feet.

lysglimt

Scout
There's quite a few would say it's number 1 I think if you polled it
Are you telling me that there is a person in here who says a new goalkeeper is more important than swapping Weghorst with Kane or Osimhen ? :)

daba

Yes they did - but that is because they both had crap goalkeepers. Not because they had a world-class goalkeeper on the line - who wasn't very good with the ball at his feet.
Pep had Joe Hart who at the time was regarded as one of the best in the league, probably second or third behind Cech and De Gea (who was at the peak of his powers around this from memory). Is De Gea currently 2nd or 3rd best keeper in the league?

Alisson and Ederson are the undoubted top 2 this season followed by Ramsdale (IMO based on this season at least).

Then you have Raya, Pope, Martinez and De Gea - probably in that order (again just my opinion based on this season).

So I would argue that Pep had a better keeper in Joe Hart when he joined compared to today’s De Gea which ETH has inherited.

I agree Klopp landed with a shitshow in goal with Mignolet. But even with his slim budget the following summer he still went out and bought a new keeper in his first window in Karius for £4.7m. Karius was more of the mould Klopp wanted, but cheaping out in that area obviously didn’t work out, so as soon as they got the Coutinho money, half of that went on Alisson as it was such a crucial area of the pitch to solve.

Alongside sorting out his defence by spending the other half on Van Dijk, Liverpool looked a different team and instantly started seriously challenging.

I believe we’ve largely sorted the defence now with Varane, Martinez and Shaw, plus maybe a new RB this summer, the last piece of the puzzle is a keeper that can not only make great saves, but commands his box, is quick off his line to support a higher line, is composed and secure on the ball to exude composure and confidence throughout the rest of the team.

Dave makes great saves, same as Hart used to offer. But even though Hart was commanding, he still lacked the composure on the ball Pep wanted to set his team up from the build up, so it was pretty much the first change Pep made.

lysglimt

Scout
Pep had Joe Hart who at the time was regarded as one of the best in the league, probably second or third behind Cech and De Gea (who was at the peak of his powers around this from memory). Is De Gea currently 2nd or 3rd best keeper in the league?

Alisson and Ederson are the undoubted top 2 this season followed by Ramsdale (IMO based on this season at least).

Then you have Raya, Pope, Martinez and De Gea - probably in that order (again just my opinion based on this season).

So I would argue that Pep had a better keeper in Joe Hart when he joined compared to today’s De Gea which ETH has inherited.

I agree Klopp landed with a shitshow in goal with Mignolet. But even with his slim budget the following summer he still went out and bought a new keeper in his first window in Karius for £4.7m. Karius was more of the mould Klopp wanted, but cheaping out in that area obviously didn’t work out, so as soon as they got the Coutinho money, half of that went on Alisson as it was such a crucial area of the pitch to solve.

Alongside sorting out his defence by spending the other half on Van Dijk, Liverpool looked a different team and instantly started seriously challenging.

I believe we’ve largely sorted the defence now with Varane, Martinez and Shaw, plus maybe a new RB this summer, the last piece of the puzzle is a keeper that can not only make great saves, but commands his box, is quick off his line to support a higher line, is composed and secure on the ball to exude composure and confidence throughout the rest of the team.

Dave makes great saves, same as Hart used to offer. But even though Hart was commanding, he still lacked the composure on the ball Pep wanted to set his team up from the build up, so it was pretty much the first change Pep made.
Well granted it was a bit harsh to call Hart crap - but no, he was not one of the best goalkeepers in the league. I would go so far as to say he was in rather strong decline. And if you look at Harts career after leaving City, that supports that theory. If he was as good as you claim, several good clubs would line up to take him - but he went to Torino who was a mid-table side in Serie A, and then West Ham and eventually Burnley.

daba

Well granted it was a bit harsh to call Hart crap - but no, he was not one of the best goalkeepers in the league. I would go so far as to say he was in rather strong decline. And if you look at Harts career after leaving City, that supports that theory. If he was as good as you claim, several good clubs would line up to take him - but he went to Torino who was a mid-table side in Serie A, and then West Ham and eventually Burnley.
To say he was in a rather strong decline feels like a bit of an over statement. I don’t remember everyone at the time saying he’s passed it, if anything people were in shock that Pep was so obsessed with his style of play that he was willing to replace one of the best in the league. Obviously that decision has been vindicated, but if Hart was on such a visible decline I don’t think it would have been received as quite so much of a shock.

I’m procrastinating at the end of work so can be bothered to look at the stats…

Hart in his last season got 15 clean sheets and conceded just 36 (one off Golden Glove winner Cech).

De Gea this season has 11 clean sheets and conceded 35.

The likelihood is he might end up with an 1 or 2 more clean sheets with significantly more goals conceded (obvs there have been a couple of dream results this year contributing to that).

I think they’re at pretty comparable stages of their careers tbh. I don’t think De Gea is on a decline (at least not a massive one), although that will come in the next 1-2 years given he relies on reflexes and athleticism to be effective. But he’s not World Class as you originally stated. Feels like you’re basically saying Hart was on a decline because his next club was Torino.

Where exactly do you expect De Gea to end up if we do replace him this summer?

No top 8 or 9 team in the prem will want him, neither Barca, Madrid, Athleti need him, nor AC Milan, Inter, Napoli, Juventus, not PSG and let’s not even consider Bayern or Dortmund. So realistically De Gea would end up at a mid-table team somewhere in Europe.

arnie_ni

To say he was in a rather strong decline feels like a bit of an over statement. I don’t remember everyone at the time saying he’s passed it, if anything people were in shock that Pep was so obsessed with his style of play that he was willing to replace one of the best in the league. Obviously that decision has been vindicated, but if Hart was on such a visible decline I don’t think it would have been received as quite so much of a shock.

I’m procrastinating at the end of work so can be bothered to look at the stats…

Hart in his last season got 15 clean sheets and conceded just 36 (one off Golden Glove winner Cech).

De Gea this season has 11 clean sheets and conceded 35.

The likelihood is he might end up with an 1 or 2 more clean sheets with significantly more goals conceded (obvs there have been a couple of dream results this year contributing to that).

I think they’re at pretty comparable stages of their careers tbh. I don’t think De Gea is on a decline (at least not a massive one), although that will come in the next 1-2 years given he relies on reflexes and athleticism to be effective. But he’s not World Class as you originally stated. Feels like you’re basically saying Hart was on a decline because his next club was Torino.

Where exactly do you expect De Gea to end up if we do replace him this summer?

No top 8 or 9 team in the prem will want him, neither Barca, Madrid, Athleti need him, nor AC Milan, Inter, Napoli, Juventus, not PSG and let’s not even consider Bayern or Dortmund. So realistically De Gea would end up at a mid-table team somewhere in Europe.
We're going off tangent here but that's not how I remember the whole thing with Hart. When you ignored the English bias from the press, many people thought he was massively over rated, again from memory.

RuudTom83

A tonne of players coming back from their loans, Big Dave, and Marcus contracts ending! The ongoing Garnacho talks…

United are going to have a very busy summer.

Chop chop