De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

Sylar

Keeper is number two priority for me.
Number one would be Striker.
Number three midfielder.

IN previous seasons it felt like we only had the ability to get one signing at a time (or one deal at a time). You would hope we start this early in terms of getting the info ready, then going on a multi-attack on signings, where it doesnt matter what order we get them in, as long as we get them all in.

croadyman

Keeper is number two priority for me.
Number one would be Striker.
Number three midfielder.

IN previous seasons it felt like we only had the ability to get one signing at a time (or one deal at a time). You would hope we start this early in terms of getting the info ready, then going on a multi-attack on signings, where it doesnt matter what order we get them in, as long as we get them all in.
Would be number three

themanguydude

DDG certainly has his flaws, but do tell us who could pull off those acrobatic saves.
Are we a circus? Why does being acrobatic even matter? 2 keepers that made saves from the exact same shot, but one does it more acrobatically than the other, does he get to negate the next goal conceded or something?

There is absolutely nothing De Gea is elite at, including shotstopping. He is, at best, average.

People who keep spouting this myth about him being an elite shotstopper is either stuck in a 17/18 season timeloop or outright delusional. There is nothing that can back this up.

Varun1

Are we a circus? Why does being acrobatic even matter? 2 keepers that made saves from the exact same shot, but one does it more acrobatically than the other, does he get to negate the next goal conceded or something?

There is absolutely nothing De Gea is elite at, including shotstopping. He is, at best, average.

People who keep spouting this myth about him being an elite shotstopper is either stuck in a 17/18 season timeloop or outright delusional. There is nothing that can back this up.
Strange post, I never said it matters!

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel

DDG is better than average at shot stopping, there has been numerous examples this season of it and Im not sure many other keepers who would be described as average would be able to make them. If we had kept Henderson, who I would describe as average then we would be a lot worse off this season.
His passing and on the ball is well below average and is the reason he needs replaced, the amount of times he has lost possession is insane. He also has the occasional blooper but then again which keeper doesnt.

Kostov

Were you in a coma this past couple of weeks? Or this recent shit outing by the team in which DDG bailed us out with some top class saves does not suit your agenda?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Would be number three
I'd say it depends on what midfielder we sign. If we can get the right one who slots in perfectly and provides everything that we need, then yes a midfielder will make a bigger impact than a new goalkeeper signing. However if the midfielder is 'only' a similar level of player as Eriksen (a good player of course, but not absolute top level) then I reckon a good goalkeeper signing will make a bigger impact on our team.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
DDG is better than average at shot stopping, there has been numerous examples this season of it and Im not sure many other keepers who would be described as average would be able to make them. If we had kept Henderson, who I would describe as average then we would be a lot worse off this season.
His passing and on the ball is well below average and is the reason he needs replaced, the amount of times he has lost possession is insane. He also has the occasional blooper but then again which keeper doesnt.
De Gea absolutely does make some amazing saves that most other keepers won't make. Not as many as some people make out, but he does make them. However what is regularly ignored is how he also concedes quite a few goals that he really should have been saving. That's what people mean when they talk about De Gea being 'average' in terms of shot-stopping, as they feel that (over the course of the season) the two largely cancel each other out.

Gordon S

I'd say it depends on what midfielder we sign. If we can get the right one who slots in perfectly and provides everything that we need, then yes a midfielder will make a bigger impact than a new goalkeeper signing. However if the midfielder is 'only' a similar level of player as Eriksen (a good player of course, but not absolute top level) then I reckon a good goalkeeper signing will make a bigger impact on our team.
Seeing what a mess we are in midfield without Casemiro makes me think that midfield might be the most important position to upgrade after all. There is no one else that can do what he does for us. Not even remotely.

We Need Another Rebuild

I would let DDG go, he is on a huge wage and even on reduced terms of £200k-£250k will put him in the Top 10 paid GK's in the world.

DDG has been a great servant and has had some fantastic seasons here, but not in recent memory.

Yes he has pulled off some fantastic saves that have saves us, but for someone paid a kings ransom you should expect that.

Unfortunately football has passed him by, it is all about high pressure high line and dominating possession, which are all of the areas DDG weaknesses, yes he has shown improvements but not enough to warrant that sort of wage.

Costa or Raya depending on which the scouts and ETH prefer should be signed, in order to control games and dominate possession and press high you need a GK that can play our from the back and play the Sweeper Keeper role.

Costa would be my choice as he clearly is the most talented, yes he had a Sh1t WC, but who gives a F1ck as we do not play in the WC, look at the CL and see the talent.

NLunited

There are no good replacements ready to step in for DeGea who are an overall improvement: not Raya not Costa. Not good enough.

Let‘s go for a young keeper with the right profile who can grow into our no 1.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
De Gea absolutely does make some amazing saves that most other keepers won't make. Not as many as some people make out, but he does make them. However what is regularly ignored is how he also concedes quite a few goals that he really should have been saving. That's what people mean when they talk about De Gea being 'average' in terms of shot-stopping, as they feel that (over the course of the season) the two largely cancel each other out.
Yep.

There's a gap between what the stats tell us about De Gea as a shot-stopper and what the eye test of people who don't pay attention to stats tells them.

And that gap comes from people either underestimating the amount of goals he could have done better on or not conceptualising certain types of errors as part of shot-stopping. For example an error like the one against Brentford will negatively impact his shot-stopping stats, but I think a lot of people would think of it as a concentration error rather than a shot-stopping one.

You can be an innately gifted shot-stopper, more capable of high-level saves than most other top level goalkeepers, but still put in less impressive overall shot-stopping performances and numbers than that suggests.

JB7

I don't see how this is in question. These goalkeepers offer a team so much more than the odd spectacular save.
It's not debateable, only fans of United who think every save De Gea makes is unbelievable would make the argument that he's better than either of them.

I've got a lot of mates who support other clubs in the PL and not one of them would swap their clubs goalkeeper for De Gea.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I don't see how this is in question. These goalkeepers offer a team so much more than the odd spectacular save.
If we fix the other positions then maybe the odd spectacular save is all we need

DDG does need replacing reasonably soon but to me that's not a priority right now, we need 2 strikers because in my view Martial is too unreliable, he's worse than Darren Anderton, we need midfield upgrades and maybe RB before a new GK

Remember the geese

It's not debateable, only fans of United who think every save De Gea makes is unbelievable would make the argument that he's better than either of them.

I've got a lot of mates who support other clubs in the PL and not one of them would swap their clubs goalkeeper for De Gea.
I'm not sure what it is when it comes to De Gea. Blind loyalty or fond memories of better times perhaps? He just doesn't bring enough to the party. It's imperative that we upgrade on him. Otherwise our progress as a team will be limited. Fortunately, I think ten Hag knows this.

Kaos

I would let DDG go, he is on a huge wage and even on reduced terms of £200k-£250k will put him in the Top 10 paid GK's in the world.

DDG has been a great servant and has had some fantastic seasons here, but not in recent memory.

Yes he has pulled off some fantastic saves that have saves us, but for someone paid a kings ransom you should expect that.

Unfortunately football has passed him by, it is all about high pressure high line and dominating possession, which are all of the areas DDG weaknesses, yes he has shown improvements but not enough to warrant that sort of wage.

Costa or Raya depending on which the scouts and ETH prefer should be signed, in order to control games and dominate possession and press high you need a GK that can play our from the back and play the Sweeper Keeper role.

Costa would be my choice as he clearly is the most talented, yes he had a Sh1t WC, but who gives a F1ck as we do not play in the WC, look at the CL and see the talent.
Yeah its a harsh one but I'm inclined to agree. Give him a testimonial, and let him go with a sendoff suitable for a legend.

Wouldn't make sense keeping him on as a number 2 even if he accepts lower wages.

Kaos

If we fix the other positions then maybe the odd spectacular save is all we need

DDG does need replacing reasonably soon but to me that's not a priority right now, we need 2 strikers because in my view Martial is too unreliable, he's worse than Darren Anderton, we need midfield upgrades and maybe RB before a new GK
Except its not. For the way Ten Hag wants to setup his team, its crucial we have a keeper who's comfortable on their feet and is able to help build up from the back. It goes beyond requiring a keeper thats capable of the exceptional save.

In fact, I'd rather we have a decent shot stopper who's excellent on their feet than an elite shot stopper who's average at best with their ball playing ability.

Oranges038

That is just a load of crap.

The keeper at the minute is the single biggest issue in holding this team back from actually being able to play football out from the back, breaking the lines and beating the press of the opposition.

ETH has already removed 3/4 regular starters from the last seasons out of the team as they just don't fit his style. The club captain, the highest paid player in the world, McT and whatever Fred is supposed to be.

DDG just needs to be replaced. Out of the regular first team. He should be next on the list for the chop, having a contract that is up in the summer should make that an easy decision.

Remember the geese

This logic is backwards to me. In no world can we just get by on spectacular saves. He isn't good enough a shot stopper to live off that one attribute anymore. It isn't 17/18.
I agree that Martial needs to go. I believe that Greenwood will be back, therefore one striker is required. We should be looking to make 4 or 5 signings and a goalkeeper should be one of those. Thankfully, I'm fairly positive it will be addressed this summer. Although it's partly reliant on us being able to shift Henderson. Hopefully that won't be an issue.

Pickle85

Great news that we’re reducing Dave’s role and salary while bringing in someone new. Sure the people who defend him like they know him on here though will try and spin this as a positive for De Gea somehow.
Yeah! Imagine fans defending their team's player that's been a key member of the starting lineup for the last decade! What weirdos!! Thank god we have people like you to set us straight and run him down!!!

Gordon S

I'm not sure what it is when it comes to De Gea. Blind loyalty or fond memories of better times perhaps? He just doesn't bring enough to the party. It's imperative that we upgrade on him. Otherwise our progress as a team will be limited. Fortunately, I think ten Hag knows this.
I fully agree that we should try to upgrade on De Gea. But we need someone that is better, of course, and i don´t know who that is.
We have seen shaky moments here and there from both Raya and Costa. If our scouts is not on point here we might spend silly money just to move sideways again.
Just watched this video where the part about Rayas passing out from the back gave me a nervous breakdown, a small sample size it might be but still enough to give me doubts that he would suit us.

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah! Imagine fans defending their team's player that's been a key member of the starting lineup for the last decade! What weirdos!! Thank god we have people like you to set us straight and run him down!!!
:lol: Thank god we’ve got people to remind us that sentiment is the only metric worth measuring to keep a player in the first team on massive wages.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Depends.

Do you think we can win the league while being more of a long-ball side than the other contenders, sacrificing our ability to play out from the back and have greater control for the sake of not changing goalkeeper? Do you think ETH is so good he can win the league even while compromising on his preferred approach? Do you think we're actually likely to strengthen every other position well enough to make that work? And do you think we can do all that even while other aspects of De Gea's game also hurt us?

If the answer to all the above is yes, then maybe. But I think most people would probably say that's still doing things the hard way.

Bojan Djordjic

No, if we fix the other positions and begin to dominate possession, the need for a better keeper in possession will just become more pronounced. He'll be facing less shots so his one so-called ability becomes less of a positive and his ball playing abilities become more of a weak point for the team.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
The cheap options in order to play the way we want too is Mark Flekken or Mads Hermansen, not David Raya, he would be a mistake.

If you want as close to a sure thing as possible, go after Onana or Costa.

Maybe even try to tempt Barcelona to part with ter Stegen.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
No, if we fix the other positions and begin to dominate possession, the need for a better keeper in possession will just become more pronounced. He'll be facing less shots so his one so-called ability becomes less of a positive and his ball playing abilities become more of a weak point for the team.
So we fix the other positions first, I do forsee a possible issue with dominating possession though, Rashford will likely be not as effective as we will be less of a counter-attacking team and that's what he does best

Lux Thunder

If the last decade is a measurement of our club's standards then we truly deserve what we get with DDG.

Pickle85

:lol: Thank god we’ve got people to remind us that sentiment is the only metric worth measuring to keep a player in the first team on massive wages.
It's just a bizarre reaction, to point score like that. There's a world of middle ground between your reaction and believing that sentiment is the only metric worth measuring when deciding to keep a player.

Redivy

Lafont will be a nice shout. He has about 8 years first team experience at the age of 24. Modern keeper who has good size and confidence in his ability. Don't think he will cost much either.

NLunited

Lafont will be a nice shout. He has about 8 years first team experience at the age of 24. Modern keeper who has good size and confidence in his ability. Don't think he will cost much either.
How is his passing?