De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

aeh1991

Maignan, Diogo Costa or Justin Bijlow (preference in that order) please.

RkkMan

I do not think 150m for a striker and midfielder is over exaggerated. We just paid 100m in Antony, we paid 70m for Casemiro, and last year same for Sancho. If we want two top players in those positions, we likely need to spend big. And I do not see where will that money come from, even if we get 20m from Henderson.

I don’t think we can get much from Fred and VDB. They are average players on high salaries, usually you don’t get much from these type of players, and more often than not, they are unsellable.

I am pretty sure that De Gea would sign such a contract. He won’t get anything better anywhere else. As I mentioned in the previous post, that would still be higher than Mendy, Ederson, Lloris etc, definitely in top 10 for keepers, the only ones I can find who are in more than 120k/week are Neuer, Donnaruma, Alisson, Ter Stegen and Courtuois. He would be lucky to get over 100k in any other club, and pretty much impossible to both get that and be in a top club. His salary was an abomination back then, but now it is tragic. He has massively regressed, back then he was Spain’s undisputed keeper and had just been in FifPro XI (aka, best keeper in the world), now he likely is not top 5 in the league and is not even third choice for Spain.

Just being on free won’t guarantee him a huge salary. Mata is on free too, and was getting over 150k last year but he cannot find a team now, and if he will eventually find one, it will likely be in 30k or less. Same for De Gea, he will have to accept less than 100k starting from next year or no one would touch him. 100-120k for a keeper is still extremely high.
We overpaid for Antony and Casemiro out of incompetence they would have been cheaper by like €30-40m combined if we went earlier which is something I hope we do with targets next year to avoid overpaying
We don't know if he would agree though. Watching his interviews and how he speaks about himself he has massive pride and still sees himself as one of the best GKs around. His ego(plus high profile agent Jorge Mendes) won't accept that gigantic a salary cut and I don't think they'll care what other GKs earn. Its never as simple as the club saying "Because others are on lower than you you must accept a lower wage" and expect them to immediately agree. Like I said outside Barca I've never seen it happen anywhere so it would be a major major outlier if by some miracle it happened

Revan

Assumptionman
We overpaid for Antony and Casemiro out of incompetence they would have been cheaper by like €30-40m combined if we went earlier which is something I hope we do with targets next year to avoid overpaying
We don't know if he would agree though. Watching his interviews and how he speaks about himself he has massive pride and still sees himself as one of the best GKs around. His ego(plus high profile agent Jorge Mendes) won't accept that gigantic a salary cut and I don't think they'll care what other GKs earn. Its never as simple as the club saying "Because others are on lower than you you must accept a lower wage" and expect them to immediately agree. Like I said outside Barca I've never seen it happen anywhere so it would be a major major outlier if by some miracle it happened
If he doesn’t agree then fine, he can leave. We should extend the contract only on our terms. If he can find something better, good for him. I am though very skeptical that he might.

CG1010

I agree with the OP title.. we need GK and ST urgently for this team to be competitive.

davidmichael

I just saw that Oblak is available on a free next summer, if that is still an option in January then we’d be crazy not to go all out for him and move De Gea on who himself is available on a free next summer too then sell Henderson so that’d be a saving of £500K a week plus whatever Henderson brings in transfer fee wise.

DevilRed

Those were under Woodward/Judge and none of those players were over 30 we didn't extend Valencia's contract when he was 34 as an example. Fact that we haven't triggered De Gea's extra year, extended Rashford, Fred or Shaw's contracts by now(all their deals run till 2023 but have extra years which will be triggered because they all have value unlike De Gea) should be a sign things are changing slightly. We'd have done them by now
As for the holes yes we'll need to sign a CF and CM. RB will depend on Dalot's form if he keeps up we'll go for a cheap option like Malacia or use Laird
A GK easily gets supplemented by selling Henderson for a good fee if he does well at Forest and releasing De Gea's big wages off the books
We extend contract options in the summer before expiry. Why would you do it now?

croadyman

I just saw that Oblak is available on a free next summer, if that is still an option in January then we’d be crazy not to go all out for him and move De Gea on who himself is available on a free next summer too then sell Henderson so that’d be a saving of £500K a week plus whatever Henderson brings in transfer fee wise.
Depends if Erik wants a modern sweeper keeper

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I've always thought that it is meaningless to talk about a DDG replacement unless the rest of the team, especially CBs and DMs, are capable of playing out from the back, and the manager encourages it. Under Jose and Ole, with Smalling or Maguire or AWB, "shielded" by Fellaini, Matic, McT, or Fred... Ederson would not make sense.

Well, the time has come (more or less, wouldn't trust McT to be like Busquets :lol: ).
The replacement better be able to pass. All I hope is that they don't choose to go totally the opposite route and ignore shot-stopping.

Baneofthegame

I personally think Oblak is staying there anyway under A new contract, but if not, why not just straight swap him for DDG in January with some cash?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Oblak had a pretty awful season last year, didn't he? At at least one point of the second half of the season he had the worst save percentage of any goalkeeper in Europe's big five leagues and was shipping heavy criticism.

Fabian Keller

I'd enquire after Neuer. See if he wants to test his luck for a year or two outside of Germany ala Schweinsteiger. Worth a shout, Bayern have a replacement already. Would be iconic too.

MegadrivePerson

Yeah Oblak went off a cliff in terms of performances last season. It would be the type of signing we used to make signing a big name player that has already peaked and is now on the way down.

Maignan would be a really good signing as would Sanchez from Brighton. I'd rather sign a player on the way up than down!

Infra-red

Yeah Oblak went off a cliff in terms of performances last season. It would be the type of signing we used to make signing a big name player that has already peaked and is now on the way down.

Maignan would be a really good signing as would Sanchez from Brighton. I'd rather sign a player on the way up than down!
Like De Gea, Oblak is a very good shot stopper without much else to his game. Those types of keepers do not tend to age well - once their reflexes are slightly dulled, they are largely useless.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I like the looks of Bazunu . I know City has a buy back clause but he isn't going back to City when Ederson is there.

The obvious option is Sanchez . Unai Simon or Raya would also be brilliant options .

Woodzy

Maignan, Diogo Costa or Justin Bijlow (preference in that order) please.
I'm Justin Bijlow and everywhere I go
People know the part I'm playing
Paid for every dance, saving every chance
Ooh, what they're sayin'

FatTails

The constant whining about De Gea by spoilt cnuts who wanted an entire first 11 to be replaced this summer is insufferable.

The season has started. Shouldn’t you donuts have enough reality to talk about instead of transfer fantasies?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Jose Sa and Robert Sanchez (from Wolves and Brighton respectively) would be the obvious choices if we were dipping into the Premier League market. Both are excellent with their feet, and can start plays. On top of that, both are very good at the classical goalkeeping attributes and would offer a massive upgrade on DdG.

aeh1991

Livakovic might be a good, less pricey option. Played an excellent game today and has been a good keeper in the past few seasons. Why hasn't he moved to a better club yet?

Demaw

Maybe we are thinking Vitek in 2 years. Loan next year and bring back to be a ten year keeper for us. ;)

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Oblak has been shit for Atletico for a decent while now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Diogo Costa and Maignan are obvious choices for me. Anatoliy Trubin from Shakhtar Donetsk is another up and coming young keeper to look out for and he's already performed well at Champions league level and is only 21.

iato89

There are quite some good Gks around, I would go for a hungry upcoming one - Sanchez from Brighton would be a great shout and epl proven. Maignan will be expensive

AussieDevil

Alban Lafont

23 years of age, with a whopping 7 full seasons of top flight football under his belt. Was the youngest ever keeper to debut in Ligue 1. Even spent a year in the Serie A for Fiorentina and played 34 league games there.

6'4 and very mature game for his age (probably due to the amount of football he has already played). Seems like he has a good range of passing and it should only get better.

aeh1991

From an article about Mike Maignan on 'Manchestereveningnews':
"A signing of such calibre can give a massive boost to the confidence and faith to an overall squad as most recently seen when Liverpool acquired Alisson. While there may be long-term solutions, players such as Diogo Costa, Robert Sanchez and David Raya, none of them can compare to the ready-made star that Maignan is."

This. If we have any chance, we should go for him.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Not seen Trubin or Costa much, but Portuguese goalies are a safe bet so would like to see more of Costa. Maignon is the bollocks, though. He should have been signed during the negotiations for De Gea’s last contract.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Sanchez may be an easier get now that potter has moved on
I wouldn't say that makes him any more attainable, whoever the new manager is he's going to love him as well, so as a club they'll want to keep hold of him all the same.

That said, Brighton haven't ever given a reason to indicate they'll attempt to hold any of their top players hostage anyway, they just expect to get a good fee. I suspect regardless of whether Potter was still there or not they would be willing to sell for the right price - which'll probably be somewhere between £40-50m.

keithsingleton

Easily the next priority in my opinion. I think the club thought he'd be fine for a year with last year's form, but i think with De Gea, it's clear how he's going to be this year, and it'll be more like 2018-2021 rather than last season (where he still had significant weaknesses). He's been shite in both games and directly at fault for goals in both. And I think there's more of that to come from him unfortunately.

So I guess the question is who is out there for us that has what we need as a goalkeeper, who could realistically leave, what cost, etc.
I don’t see what you see, for me it’s a out and out No9. We won’t be winning matches often by 2/3 goal margins. We will be scrambling and holding on to leads at best. Not forgetting we’re still miles behind the noisy neighbour.

#W203_Red

David Raya and Robert Sanchez are really interesting options and should be attainable. Good ages and experience in the league. Sanchez plays in a very well coached team who played really great football under Potter.

Can’t watch another season of De Gea pondering on the ball absolutely clueless with how to play. Makes me nervous in the stands, god knows how the players feel.

Mwooyo

Monaco's Alexander Nubel has everything necessary to become the next manuel neur. His kicking is sublime, he comes out like manuel neur of old and he claims crosses. Dont know why he isnt talked about more.

youtu.be/g3JHSZa3oUU

Last edited:

Lux Thunder

I don’t see what you see, for me it’s a out and out No9. We won’t be winning matches often by 2/3 goal margins. We will be scrambling and holding on to leads at best. Not forgetting we’re still miles behind the noisy neighbour.
Although we all can agree that GK and CF are the biggest priorities, this bolded part of your post is mostly because we can't maintain possession to control a game more and with DDG constantly hoofing a ball and our players battling hard to gain possession back it will always look like that. So, for me is GK and then CF, but both should be done in the same window.

Swordsman

You'd be hard pressed to find an upgrade to DavidDG. All those supposedly superb goalkeepers who are vocal, can control their box and play with their feet and play like the last man, aren't exactly helping their teams to clean sheets either. The goals they concede will probably be at most challenging saves for DavidDG. Ask those goalkeepers to play with our old backline in front of them and maybe you'll appreciate DavidDG more. Just like I don't need a central defender to be capable of hollywood passes, I'd rather a GK be able to perform his core competencies consistently.

The day DavidDG begins his decline is the day we should be concerned. We were supposed to have a ready backing in DeanH but somehow things didn't work out, for unknown reasons. Fingers crossed DavidDG could perform until past 35/6/7/8/9 like EdwinVDS was capable of.