De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

goalscholes

Anatoliy Trubin looked like the next big thing a couple of years ago. Is he still highly rated?

aeh1991

I could see us go after Diogo Costa or Justin Bijlow (although the latter's injury record worries me a bit). But those two seem to be the best GKs with potential that are available and don't play at top clubs already. Also suit us due to the Portugal / Dutch connection.

northernsoul74

I could see us go after Diogo Costa or Justin Bijlow (although the latter's injury record worries me a bit). But those two seem to be the best GKs with potential that are available and don't play at top clubs already. Also suit us due to the Portugal / Dutch connection.
Costa would only come as a number 1 I would have thought which is fine by me. Not sure if he’d make the move now. Seems we’re looking for a short term number 2.

aeh1991

Costa would only come as a number 1 I would have thought which is fine by me. Not sure if he’d make the move now. Seems we’re looking for a short term number 2.
I totally forgot to mention that I only see them coming next winter or more likely next season (hopefully with CL).

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I reckon Costa would move now, if United came in, but that’s unlikely. I’ve only seen him on YouTube, how’s his kicking/distribution?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
And we tried Henderson for quite a few games where he was a sweeper and all that other fancy nonsense and he was worse than De Gea. When I said better than 99% of available keepers I meant his shot stopping in particular.
What were you watching? Henderson had like 1 bad game and apart from that the stats and results were all better with him in goal than De Gea.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What were you watching? Henderson had like 1 bad game and apart from that the stats and results were all better with him in goal than De Gea.
It’s madness isn’t it? The defense literally turned a different level with Henderson instead of De Gea.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
He’d cost north of £50m. They haven’t signed him to sell on a year later
Sorry for the late reply.

I’m convinced he’s gonna be the best keeper in the league, and one of the best in the world at some point imho, so that price wouldn’t bother me. But yeah…they haven’t signed him to sell him on just one year later.

Last edited:

daba

Might be a pricier option, but Mike Maignan of Milan looks class and the obvious choice. He’s good with his feet, he’s a very good stopper, and he’s also a leader which we need more of.

Past two seasons he’s played a big role in winning domestic league titles with Lille over the dominant PSG and then helping Milan to the first title in goodness knows how long. Not bad.

I think he’s 27 now so even if he costs 50m, we could have him as a no1 for 6+ seasons

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If we want a keeper who can play out from the back then David Raya has to be an option

Only 26 so fairly young for a keeper as well as being premier League proven and good in possession. Plus for a good price I doubt Brentford would stand in his way

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If we want a keeper who can play out from the back then David Raya has to be an option

Only 26 so fairly young for a keeper as well as being premier League proven and good in possession. Plus for a good price I doubt Brentford would stand in his way
His current contract expires in June 2024 so if he doesn't sign a new one they'll be actively looking to sell next summer, you'd think.

Alemar

Don’t think he is on the same level as Maignan, to be frank. We rather go for Diogo Costa then, he is younger and already better than Raya

Wilt

His current contract expires in June 2024 so if he doesn't sign a new one they'll be actively looking to sell next summer, you'd think.
He‘s unsellable …£375,000 per week, no one would touch him with a barge pole.

Rauður Djöfull

Might be a pricier option, but Mike Maignan of Milan looks class and the obvious choice. He’s good with his feet, he’s a very good stopper, and he’s also a leader which we need more of.

Past two seasons he’s played a big role in winning domestic league titles with Lille over the dominant PSG and then helping Milan to the first title in goodness knows how long. Not bad.

I think he’s 27 now so even if he costs 50m, we could have him as a no1 for 6+ seasons
Yes please

RkkMan

He‘s unsellable …£375,000 per week, no one would touch him with a barge pole.
He was talking about Raya
De Gea's deal expires next year if we don't trigger the extra year(which I can't see us do because he's an old player on big wages) so we won't need to sell

Wilt

He was talking about Raya
De Gea's deal expires next year if we don't trigger the extra year(which I can't see us do because he's an old player on big wages) so we won't need to sell
My mistake

DevilRed

Why would we extend? He's on very high wages for an old GK with zero resale value for The Glazers
Are we watching the same club? The one that extended Phil Jones and Eric Bailly? The one that offered lucrative contracts to Pogba AND Lingard to stay?

The only way we don't extend is if we go out next summer and splash on a top GK. Seems unlikely considering we have holes at RB, CF and CM to fill.

RkkMan

Are we watching the same club? The one that extended Phil Jones and Eric Bailly? The one that offered lucrative contracts to Pogba AND Lingard to stay?

The only way we don't extend is if we go out next summer and splash on a top GK. Seems unlikely considering we have holes at RB, CF and CM to fill.
Those were under Woodward/Judge and none of those players were over 30 we didn't extend Valencia's contract when he was 34 as an example. Fact that we haven't triggered De Gea's extra year, extended Rashford, Fred or Shaw's contracts by now(all their deals run till 2023 but have extra years which will be triggered because they all have value unlike De Gea) should be a sign things are changing slightly. We'd have done them by now
As for the holes yes we'll need to sign a CF and CM. RB will depend on Dalot's form if he keeps up we'll go for a cheap option like Malacia or use Laird
A GK easily gets supplemented by selling Henderson for a good fee if he does well at Forest and releasing De Gea's big wages off the books

sillwuka

I wouldn't mind spending large sums on Maignan.

Hugely important position and we need the recruitment to be right because if we don't this will set us back a few years.

Revan

Assumptionman
We definitely shouldn’t (and I hope we won’t) trigger the one year option. Saying that, depending on the market of goalkeepers, I wouldn’t mind extending him for 3 years in 120-150k/week salary. I think he will be glad to accept that, cannot see him getting more anywhere.

Last edited:

RkkMan

We definitely should (and I hope we won’t) trigger the one year option. Saying that, depending on the market of goalkeepers, I wouldn’t mind extending him for 3 years in 120-150k/week salary. I think he will be glad to accept that, cannot see him getting more anywhere.
Why should we trigger the extra year first of all? And why would you intentionally want us to handicap ourselves with an outdated GK like him beyond this season? There will be a couple of good GKs available next year
Also going from £375k a week to £120-150k is a gigantic come down. As a free agent with a signing on fee he easily gets something within the £200k range at least

GueRed

He has looked impressive the few times I have seen him play

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
https://ballerzbantz.com/2022/09/03...in-the-aftermath-of-their-catastrophic-start/

Damning article on DDG.

No question DDG won't be here next season if EtH is still here
Tbf the point he's making is that it isn't neccesarily just about De Gea, that going from planning for a FDJ style midfielder to signing a Casemiro style midfielder neccessitates a change of approach as well.

But yeah, goalkeeper should be one of our big priority positions to address next year.

Revan

Assumptionman
Why should we trigger the extra year first of all? And why would you intentionally want us to handicap ourselves with an outdated GK like him beyond this season? There will be a couple of good GKs available next year
Also going from £375k a week to £120-150k is a gigantic come down. As a free agent with a signing on fee he easily gets something within the £200k range at least
We shouldn’t trigger the extra year option, and hopefully we won’t.

Why we should stick with De Gea? We shouldn’t if we can find something better. But I also expect us to not have much money to spend next summer (at this stage we don’t have any cash), and I think signing a No.9 and a creative midfielder are much higher priorities. Those would cost at least 150m, so I do not see us having another 50m to add to that.

Why he should accept that? Mostly cause I do not see him getting more than that anywhere else and he is very settled here. It is a big drop in salary, but at the same time, his salary is nuts (double that of Alisson who is much better), and he is nowhere near as good as he was when he got the contract (or well, the year before he got the contract). Bear in mind, 120k/week is very generous for a keeper who is not one of the world’s best anymore. Alisson is on 150k, Ederson on 65k, Courtouis on 150k, Ter Stegen on 140k, Mendy on 90k. The only other two keepers who are on 300k+ are Neuer and Donnaruma. We were absolute morons to pay De Gea 350k, and Henderson 120k. I mean, De Gea getting more than Alisson, Ederson and Lloris (three best keepers in the league) has to be the worst decision ever, if it wasn’t for Henderson who was completely unproven and still got twice the salary of Ederson.

For the same reason, if we want to extend with Shaw, we should offer half of what he is in. We have the highest wage bill in football, having many players in double the money they should be. It is absolutely criminal what we have done with salaries, even Phil Jones is in 100k/week.

It is time for our players to be on salaries that reflect their stature and quality, not on double/triple what they would get anywhere else.

Last edited:

WirralRed

I wouldn't mind spending large sums on Maignan.

Hugely important position and we need the recruitment to be right because if we don't this will set us back a few years.
I have saw his name mentioned a lot, not saw much of him myself so had a quick look on YouTube ( I know, I know, terrible way to judge a player) one’s thing that looked worrying is that he seems to parry a lot of his saves right back into danger. Is this a trait of his or is this maybe just the highlights I saw.

what is he like comming for crosses? I do miss a keeper dominating his box on corners and freekicks I hope to god our next keeper is tall and commanding.

RkkMan

We shouldn’t trigger the extra year option, and hopefully we won’t.

Why we should stick with De Gea? We shouldn’t if we can find something better. But I also expect us to not have much money to spend next summer (at this stage we don’t have any cash), and I think signing a No.9 and a creative midfielder are much higher priorities. Those would cost at least 150m, so I do not see us having another 50m to add to that.

Why he should accept that? Mostly cause I do not see him getting more than that anywhere else and he is very settled here. It is a big drop in salary, but at the same time, his salary is nuts (double that of Alisson who is much better), and he is nowhere near as good as he was when he got the contract (or well, the year before he got the contract).

For the same reason, if we want to extend with Shaw, we should offer half of what he is in. We have the highest wage bill in football, having many players in double the money they should be. It is absolutely criminal what we have done with salaries, even Phil Jones is in 100k/week.
Funds for a new GK won't be a problem if Henderson has a good season at Forest(big IF). A fee of around £25-30m plus De Gea's big wages off the books will give us circa £50-60m for a new GK and £150m is over exaggerated. We can find a ST and CM for even £100m which can be boosted by selling Rashford and one of/both Fred/VDB
And do you know of any instance where a player took a pay cut of more than 50% to stay at their current club? Barca's players don't count because they did it out of necessity to aid the club's financial problems a challenge we aren't facing.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Yep i would have to agree with the Maignan shout, or maybe one of the spanish NT keepers? It is clear he's interrupting our play out the back, so I can't see ETH sticking with DDG beyond this season.

Revan

Assumptionman
Funds for a new GK won't be a problem if Henderson has a good season at Forest(big IF). A fee of around £25-30m plus De Gea's big wages off the books will give us circa £50-60m for a new GK and £150m is over exaggerated. We can find a ST and CM for even £100m which can be boosted by selling Rashford and one of/both Fred/VDB
And do you know of any instance where a player took a pay cut of more than 50% to stay at their current club? Barca's players don't count because they did it out of necessity to aid the club's financial problems a challenge we aren't facing.
I do not think 150m for a striker and midfielder is over exaggerated. We just paid 100m in Antony, we paid 70m for Casemiro, and last year same for Sancho. If we want two top players in those positions, we likely need to spend big. And I do not see where will that money come from, even if we get 20m from Henderson.

I don’t think we can get much from Fred and VDB. They are average players on high salaries, usually you don’t get much from these type of players, and more often than not, they are unsellable.

I am pretty sure that De Gea would sign such a contract. He won’t get anything better anywhere else. As I mentioned in the previous post, that would still be higher than Mendy, Ederson, Lloris etc, definitely in top 10 for keepers, the only ones I can find who are in more than 120k/week are Neuer, Donnaruma, Alisson, Ter Stegen and Courtuois. He would be lucky to get over 100k in any other club, and pretty much impossible to both get that and be in a top club. His salary was an abomination back then, but now it is tragic. He has massively regressed, back then he was Spain’s undisputed keeper and had just been in FifPro XI (aka, best keeper in the world), now he likely is not top 5 in the league and is not even third choice for Spain.

Just being on free won’t guarantee him a huge salary. Mata is on free too, and was getting over 150k last year but he cannot find a team now, and if he will eventually find one, it will likely be in 30k or less. Same for De Gea, he will have to accept less than 100k starting from next year or no one would touch him. 100-120k for a keeper is still extremely high.