De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

Mmm-Qatarian

He can't play with his feet just like De Gea. He's not even as good at shot-stopping as De Gea. Henderson would be a downgrade.
That our defensive performances improved markedly the one time Henderson got a prolonged run in the team says otherwise.

I don't even think Henderson is a particularly great keeper, but he inspires more confidence than De Gea.

criticalanalysis

He can't play with his feet just like De Gea. He's not even as good at shot-stopping as De Gea. Henderson would be a downgrade.
I refuse to believe that. For me, being effective on the football pitch isn't always about technique and/or ability. Sometimes, it's just personality. Henderson has that 10 times over De Gea so by default he would be a better keeper.

Would be it much better or of use to us (for our goals)? Probably not but he would absolutely be an upgrade on the De Gea that we've seen and known for years.

TheGame

We should be aiming to improve our performance to play good football on consistent basis rather than relying on individual brilliance. Without new keeper but signing world class striker means we are relying on individual brilliance not good football. If someone like Maignan would cost around half 100m, it’s no brainer signing to improve our football and we can use the other half to sign new midfielder.
Sorry have to disagree. £100m on a keeper when we need a striker would be irresponsible. We havent scored that many goals and it’s been one of the root causes of our problems and will continue to be unless we sign someone.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Sorry have to disagree. £100m on a keeper when we need a striker would be irresponsible. We havent scored that many goals and it’s been one of the root causes of our problems and will continue to be unless we sign someone.
Sorry but I have to disagree because I want my team to play good football not relying on individual brilliance. Keeper is the spine of the team, striker is the finishing article of the team imo. If the choice is to use 100m on striker or use 100m on keeper and midfielder then I have to choose keeper and midfielder because keeper and midfielder are the spine of the team.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's about the same with his feet, but at least he's an improvement at sweeping, claiming crosses, controlling his box, communicating with his defenders, distribution with his throws...and it's debatable about the shot-stopping. The only time he got a run in the team was by far the best our entire defence looked in the three year period around that run.

Bojan Djordjic

I haven't heard people mention Onana at all and in my opinion he'd be a great signing. There have been loads of reports about Inter being short on cash so might be a value signing there. Onana fell out with Ajax at the end of his tenure there so hopefully EtH didn't get caught up in any drama between the club and the player.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Sorry but I have to disagree because I want my team to play good football not relying on individual brilliance. Keeper is the spine of the team, striker is the finishing article of the team imo. If the choice is to use 100m on striker or use 100m on keeper and midfielder then I have to choose keeper and midfielder because keeper and midfielder are the spine of the team.
You would choose to spend the budget on a keeper so we can create chances, when our biggest problem is that we already create chances but don't score from them?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You would choose to spend the budget on a keeper so we can create chances, when our biggest problem is that we already create chances but don't score from them?
No I chose keeper so we can improve our performance to play good football on consistent basis. In term of xG, we are closer to Spurs than to Brighton or Newcastle, this means we are still having problems with creating good quality chances.

Last edited:

daba

Lots of possible options in GK department that should be on our radar.

Higher end options (£60m)
Diogo Costa
Maignan

Mid range options (£30-40m)
Raya
Lafont
Sanchez

Young or Cheap options (<£25m)
Carnesecchi
Brice Samba

No excuse for not replacing De Gea regardless of our proposed budget.

Pronewbie

Peep
Really hope we replace him like we did Maguire this season. We're better off rolling the dice. Onana is a good shout based on his CL performances. A better shot stopper than De Gea for sure.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If De Gea signs the contract he has reportedly been offered, we will still need to sign a goalkeeper this summer due to the contract situations of our 2nd and 3rd choice keepers.

In that scenario, which goalkeepers do you think we could realistically get to come here as challengers to De Gea rather than clear cut starters?

daba

If De Gea signs the contract he has reportedly been offered, we will still need to sign a goalkeeper this summer due to the contract situations of our 2nd and 3rd choice keepers.

In that scenario, which goalkeepers do you think we could realistically get to come here as challengers to De Gea rather than clear cut starters?
Someone I put in my post above - Marco Carnesecchi

22 year old on loan at Cremonese from Atalanta, having a great season and linked to Juve and Inter. Seems good at a lot of the areas De Gea struggles in such as commanding his box, winning crosses, brave, aggressive off his line, as well as being a good shot stopper. Has all the tools to make it and I don’t think he’d be expensive.

Italians always seem hard pry away from their homeland but I think we’d be a hard proposition to turn down.

AjaxNL

I’m fairly certain Utd will be in for Onana this summer. It makes so much sense. Eth knows and rates him, he’s Am Amazone goalkeeper with excellent ballplaying abilities and Inter are short for cash

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I’m fairly certain Utd will be in for Onana this summer. It makes so much sense. Eth knows and rates him, he’s Am Amazone goalkeeper with excellent ballplaying abilities and Inter are short for cash
Not my first choice but at least he wouldn't cost a brazilion pounds

userman

If the reported contract offer was a contract reflective of a role as our future nr.1 it would've surely been signed and sealed by now. My bet is that we're signing a starter and that it would be one of Raya, Martinez or even Sanchez, they will all challenge/improve on our GK and a bonus is they all count as Home Grown,

Eddy_JukeZ

I think we should splash the cash on Diogo Costa. Especially if we're able to recoup some good money from player sales.

Get the GK spot down for 10 years. He will be a giant upgrade on De Gea.

RedDevilRoshi

Costa & Raya seem to be the only two GK’s that we’ve been linked with from what I can remember.

Not seen much of Costa as don’t really watch Portuguese football. Raya is not bad but I’m not completely sold on him.

croadyman

Costa & Raya seem to be the only two GK’s that we’ve been linked with from what I can remember.

Not seen much of Costa as don’t really watch Portuguese football. Raya is not bad but I’m not completely sold on him.
Yeah he leaves me feeling like Meslier

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I’ve watched Porto roughly about 5 times in the league this season but can’t say I’ve really watch, watched Costa. Domestically the demands might be similar to playing for United and if he is a standout performer there, he’d fit the bill.
My choice though is the guy I have been keeping an eye on for a while now, Maignan. A player that was linked to us before his move to Milan and he is made a seamless transition. Replacing Donnarumma was a big task and he is stepped up for it, as well as being the leader in that back line. The only thing that worries me is his bravery and that will expose him to injuries, unlike DDG who’d hardly put himself in those positions and henceforth never gets injured. Similar settings to United, he already has a taste of our type of environment.

aeh1991

I wonder if Milan would sell Maignan for something like 60-70m. Probably not..

croadyman

All of this is presuming Utd actually want to replace him.
Are we looking to replace him??
Yeah still feels we are only looking for competition hence talk of Verbruggen. The noises aren't loud enough we are looking to sign a Costa/Raya to replace him.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Yeah still feels we are only looking for competition hence talk of Verbruggen. The noises aren't loud enough we are looking to sign a Costa/Raya to replace him.
Unfortunately I think we will see lots of unhappy caf fans next season re keeper

Lee565

I find it funny that some fans think that it is going to be hard to replace de gea and yet brighton have gk steele looking better than de gea. De gea is really not that hard to replace and does not take a world record fee for a gk to replace him

tidraKS

If we going to spend a lot on keeper, then Maignan is the best option. Milan is a selling club too.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Maignan will either be at Chelsea in a year or two, or more probably at Bayern after Neuer.

We don't have the finances, but knowing that Kane won't come (if there are Madrid and Bayern he will not come to us) and Osihmen is just a dream, we should spend our budget on a keeper and another midfielder.

if we have 150M of budget (out of sold players) I'd say that 70M on Maignan and 80M on a top number 8 + Rabiot on a free would be a decent business. And hopefully a striker too, but I doubt it

HackeyC

I refuse to believe that. For me, being effective on the football pitch isn't always about technique and/or ability. Sometimes, it's just personality. Henderson has that 10 times over De Gea so by default he would be a better keeper.

Would be it much better or of use to us (for our goals)? Probably not but he would absolutely be an upgrade on the De Gea that we've seen and known for years.
Joe Hart had personality

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Not sure about Henderson but we can easily find a stop gap for one season. Tells more on about how low I rate De Gea than the alternatives but still, it has to happen.

dinostar77

Anyone know anything about the anderlecht keeper we are linked with?

Bart Verbruggen? 19 years old sweeper-keeper.

dinostar77

Happy for hendersen to go. Hopefully de gea will sign his new deal and we can bring in so competition for him.