De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

userman

IMO now seems to be a great timing to go for Robert Sanchez. He's slightly out of favour now at Brighton, but he's a great GK that has had a poor season for his standards, then again now is perhaps the time to get him for a reasonable price.
Contract talks with De Gea are seemingly ongoing, on reduced terms, but I assume that ETH optimaly would want competition and perhaps a more modern GK going forward. Sanchez might be just that and may well prove to be an upgrade - at least he is considered as the better option for the spanish national team.
A big plus is that Sanchez is also considered as Homegrown in the UK. According to Transfermarkt his marketvalue is £28m.

Bojan Djordjic

IMO now seems to be a great timing to go for Robert Sanchez. He's slightly out of favour now at Brighton, but he's a great GK that has had a poor season for his standards, then again now is perhaps the time to get him for a reasonable price.
Contract talks with De Gea are seemingly ongoing, on reduced terms, but I assume that ETH optimaly would want competition and perhaps a more modern GK going forward. Sanchez might be just that and may well prove to be an upgrade - at least he is considered as the better option for the spanish national team.
A big plus is that Sanchez is also considered as Homegrown in the UK. According to Transfermarkt his marketvalue is £28m.
He's out of favour because he hasn't shown De Zerbi that he is proficient at the things United want in a keeper. He's a great long passer but De Zerbi doesn't think he's good enough at build up passing and he's been a below average shot-stopper for several years (from memory).

userman

He's out of favour because he hasn't shown De Zerbi that he is proficient at the things United want in a keeper. He's a great long passer but De Zerbi doesn't think he's good enough at build up passing and he's been a below average shot-stopper for several years (from memory).
Yeah De Zerbi has recently considered Steele to be a better fit to what he wants in a keeper, and tbf Steele has been great ever since he covered for Sánchez during his injury. Brighton has two good GKs that suits their needs while we don’t have one, hence why I’m saying that now might be a good time to go for a better fit in Sánchez - provided that this season is a dip in form, not a permanent state, and that he can/will bounce back.

Based on FBref he hasn’t been a ‘below average shot-stopper for several years’ judging by his save%.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Not a huge fan of Henderson after the shit he pulled, but IF we're unable to get a goalkeeper in this summer due to budgetary / FFP concerns, bring him back for a season as a stop-gap.

By absolutely no means should we renew De Gea.

Dannn411

A literal stick would be better but because we have to have 11 human beings on the pitch, just anyone who is capable of commanding his box and is good with his feet would be nice. Maignan would have been the ideal replacement but he is going to cost an arm and a leg so i'd go with Raya at Brentford as he has solid PL experience.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
As important as a striker if we want to play the football I'm sure Ten Hag wants us to play.

Castia

Porto keeper Diogo Costa should be a priority along with striker this summer

A team that wants to be on the front foot needs a ball playing keeper you cannot afford to aimlessly give the ball to the opposition in this day and age

The minute Liverpool got a top keeper it transformed the team. First thing Pep did when he came to City was sell Hart and go for a keeper who was comfortable on the ball.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Didn't this happen two or three seasons ago as well? We were on course for top 4 and he started throwing goals in during April and May.

His time is finished here.

Rojofiam

If money is an issue: 1. Raya 2. Henderson

If money isn't an issue: Diogo Costa.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Club will do the usual... loan some low profile keeper and that will be it.

It's just sad reality.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

Idxomer

Didn't this happen two or three seasons ago as well? We were on course for top 4 and he started throwing goals in during April and May.

Yep, Ole's first season. Of course, the geniuses at United made him the highest-paid goalkeeper in the world after that.

Raya, Hendersn or any competent keeper should get his place in the summer.

Swedish_Plumber

Needs to be an Allison type. Someone who just has that aura and knows what he’s about. I love Dave and he’s been brilliant for us but you just know when its time for a legend to go.

Mainoldo

Can we list all the replacements we would prefer then.

I will start.

Jack Butland.

BorisManUtd

With those reports that budget for summer will be 100M pounds you'd expect there are other priorities and we'd lose De Gea for free so think that could be a factor in offering him new contract I think. But mistakes like this today could push for a replacement.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Raya at Brentford is the obvious candidate. Entering the final year of his contract and I don't think Brentford will stand in his way. They're a smartly run club and will know they can attract more high potential players in the future should they let them move onto bigger clubs.

RopersReturn

Er, can we just buy a new keeper who has command of his area, saves the odd penalty especially during shoot/outs and can hold onto and smother shots please, it’s not too much to ask for is it?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
With those reports that budget for summer will be 100M pounds you'd expect there are other priorities and we'd lose De Gea for free so think that could be a factor in offering him new contract I think. But mistakes like this today could push for a replacement.
If it's a case that we literally can't sign enough players due to FFP restrictions, fine. It would suck but not much we can do about it.

If any positions other than CF and CM are prioritised and signed ahead of a new GK though, that raises questions.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

18/19 he utterly shit the bed in the final few months of the season and was by far the biggest reason we missed top 4. Don't think he's done it again since (every other time has just been average-poor throughout the entire season), but I definitely had flashbacks to that 18/19 disaster during this game.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Splash big on Maignan or Costa. It’s an emergency. Can’t play from the back without a keeper who can’t pass the ball and not that good shot stopper either.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Can’t see us having any money for a keeper in the summer unless takeover happens.
Spend the 100m on keeper and midfield alone would be massive upgrade to improve our team’s performance. It’s priority.

Mmm-Qatarian

At this point, even if we are unable to sign a keeper we should give Henderson a season as the number one. He gets clowned on all the time in here but he's a better keeper than De Gea.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
At this point, even if we are unable to sign a keeper we should give Henderson a season as the number one. He gets clowned on all the time in here but he's a better keeper than De Gea.
He can't play with his feet just like De Gea. He's not even as good at shot-stopping as De Gea. Henderson would be a downgrade.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
£100 won’t go far in this market. Someone like Maignan would cost around half that. And it’s a striker which is the main issue for me.
We should be aiming to improve our performance to play good football on consistent basis rather than relying on individual brilliance. Without new keeper but signing world class striker means we are relying on individual brilliance not good football. If someone like Maignan would cost around half 100m, it’s no brainer signing to improve our football and we can use the other half to sign new midfielder.