Dead birds!

Scoreboard Red

You were never a lad.
Livvie, I was a top lad - I used to stroll in the boozer dolled up to the nines in me Fred Perry polo, nice pair of jeans, classic white trainers, designer-messy hair, long sideburns so refined and sharp you cut chop coke with them....
Honestly, I'd walk in the lounge where the ladies were and it smelt like Grimsby after a few minutes.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Several thousand fish of one species died in the same state. Both of the incidents are really weird. The weather was pretty awful(tornados killed several people over the weekend) so it could be related in the case of the birds.

Scoreboard Red

This is the beginning of the end....the Indian scientist (who was also the son in East is East) from 2012 predicted this would happen.
The world starts heating up, cooling down, blowing up, cracking up, cracking down, animals start dying, children stop being born, it snows in the tropics and the Arctic becomes the hottest place on Earth.
Repent children, repent....

Fuzzymel

I am more convinced that we are about to have our Flash Forwards.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Funnily enough, been seeing the birds do a lot of this sort of thing recently:

Such fascinating displays of collective intelligence - out of interest, what are the implications of this? Has this been explained scientifically, or is it just 'one of those weird things that animals can do'.

I've often thought with this sort of thing that this is evidence of consciousness which is very different to our own in the sense that there seems to be some sort of single mind under which certain animals operate. Many animals show behaviour like this, yet humans, with all our seemingly brilliant intelligence, could not dream of doing something as synchronised and brilliant as this.

Perhaps we have become too individuated (too much ego, maybe) for something like this to be humanly possible? There are fascinating things that can be said in regards to this sort of topic in terms of certain ketamine trips I've had with mates!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Such fascinating displays of collective intelligence - out of interest, what are the implications of this? Has this been explained scientifically, or is it just 'one of those weird things that animals can do'.

I've often thought with this sort of thing that this is evidence of consciousness which is very different to our own in the sense that there seems to be some sort of single mind under which certain animals operate. Many animals show behaviour like this, yet humans, with all our seemingly brilliant intelligence, could not dream of doing something as synchronised and brilliant as this.

Perhaps we have become too individuated (too much ego, maybe) for something like this to be humanly possible? There are fascinating things that can be said in regards to this sort of topic in terms of certain ketamine trips I've had with mates!
Not really a display of intelligence and certainly not some sort of group intelligence. It is an example of flocking, swarming or schooling behavior that is common in animals that live in big groups. There are various advantages that make such behavior a selective advantage for any individual who has the genes that produce the behavior. Examples are reduced danger from predators and better nutrition due to group hunting.

It looks spectacular but it is merely an example of an inherited behaviour.

Dingledoog

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Man: Why is this happening? Oh God please tell me why?!
God: "BECAUSE I WAS LOADED, OKAY?!?!"

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Right, maybe, the crabs were driven in shore due to repeated seasons of Deadliest Catch. This mass movement spooked the fish, and being drum fish, they probably decided it would just be easier to extinct itself, then to question the migration of crab. Once decided, they gave themselves a disease, and then washed up on the rocks. Blackbirds, then came down from the cliffs, started to eat these diseased birds (even though the birds died first), and then the blackbirds realized rather then coping with this disease, they might as well drop out of the sky.

HMV, having shares in all three species, must close a large amount of stores to avoid plague spreading to them?

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
Right, maybe, the crabs were driven in shore due to repeated seasons of Deadliest Catch. This mass movement spooked the fish, and being drum fish, they probably decided it would just be easier to extinct itself, then to question the migration of crab. Once decided, they gave themselves a disease, and then washed up on the rocks. Blackbirds, then came down from the cliffs, started to eat these diseased birds (even though the birds died first), and then the blackbirds realized rather then coping with this disease, they might as well drop out of the sky.

HMV, having shares in all three species, must close a large amount of stores to avoid plague spreading to them?
I like your theory, I reckon that the wavelength of the vibrations of people heading in to HMV, to take advantage of the sales, are what caused the earthquakes up north too

nimic

something nice
Scout
The only reason it looks so fantastic and planned to you is because there are so many of them doing roughly the same thing. I guess all the ones that aren't perfectly matching the pattern didn't get the subconscious psyche memo?

I know you're trying to look for the mystical and the magical and the alien in everything, but you're not going to find it here. This behavior is not a mystery, it is well understood in science.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The typical response here would be to say that drugs simply muddle with the brain, and that anything observed here is simply of no use whatsover. I'd argue against this in the sense that not only have I felt this seemingly collective consciousness that results in certain circumstances, but I've also watched it happen from an external viewpoint!
Is ketamine a hallucinogen? They typically alter the user's perception of reality. A group of users partaking under the same conditions might well indeed experience a collective trip.

KingEric7

The only reason it looks so fantastic and planned to you is because there are so many of them doing roughly the same thing. I guess all the ones that aren't perfectly matching the pattern didn't get the subconscious psyche memo?

I know you're trying to look for the mystical and the magical and the alien in everything, but you're not going to find it here. This behavior is not a mystery, it is well understood in science.
Funnily enough, I knew you'd turn up in this thread to come up with some sort of sarcy comment. You seem almost offended by some of the stuff I say, even though I readily acknowledge (very politely) that it is something which is fairly difficult to discuss, and that anything I say, due to the fact that it is hard to talk about in terms of science, may well be interpreted to be bollocks.

However, it's an interesting discussion, and at no point am I asserting anything (I'm not even asserting anything whatsoever...) which demands an off-hand response.

In regards to your opening sentence, they're not doing the same thing at all - different groupings of them are producing different movements in such a manner as to indicate that they look as if they are part of one mind. In that video, it's not as if they're simply moving in one direction - there are different groups of them all over the place, crossing each other's paths, narrowly avoiding each other to produce something which is constantly changing. After quickly Googling, there are many people who have researched and written about this in terms of the seemingly extra-sensory perception of certain animals (the way birds evacuate prior to natural disaster, for example). In fact, there's one chap (Rupert Sheldrake, a respected biologist it seems) that seems to have written in great depth about exactly what I've just said further up the page. He uses the example of how birds and other animals break flock instantaneously to demonstrate how there seems to be something of a conscious field connecting them, made possible by a reduced level of ego in comparison to humans.

He could be wrong and I could be talking bollocks - however, given that there are many scientists who are much more intelligent than either me or yourself that disagree that this can be reduced to a materialist theory (in the sense that we know), it at least demonstrates that there is the potential for further discussion.

You probably think that if the world was full of KingEric7s, it'd be a very deluded, almost schizophrenic civilisation, but if the world was full of people such as yourself, we wouldn't half be a limited, narrow minded set of gimps. I recognise that I am probably too inclined to look into the esoteric and mystical, but there's no harm done in acknowledging the possibility if it is reasonable.

KingEric7

Is ketamine a hallucinogen? They typically alter the user's perception of reality. A group of users partaking under the same conditions might well indeed experience a collective trip.
To be honest, I've no idea what that stuff is categorised as, but it sure is a strong psychedelic. It doesn't produce completely random hallucinations if that's what you mean, but what it does do is make you appreciate that there could well be alternative realms or dimensions made possible by other means of perception. At higher doses, it's supposedly comparable to DMT (the strongest known psychedelic), which is a chemical that has caused a fair bit of interest given that it's one of the few compounds that can pass the blood brain barrier, and is also a chemical produced by the pineal gland in the centre of the brain (the location of which indicating some sort of evolutionary significance). It's interesting how much progress was made in psychology in the 60s in regards to this sort of field of research until such work was banned. A scientist called Rick Strassman recently managed to gain permission to carry out such work, and the resultant book - DMT: The Spirit Molecule - is incredibly interesting.

Ketamine is an amazing experience, to be honest. We've had what can only be described as telepathic (by this, I mean the transferring of ideas and emotions via intention) experiences on it on certain occasions though, again, when you start talking about this sort of thing in terms of narcotics, you get your fair share of people labelling you as, well, a bit of a mentalist. Can't really blame them - I know how it sounds! What I have found interesting is the introduction of people to the situation who are not on the drug, and their subsequent reaction. People have commented that they feel almost as if they have entered some sort of zone whereby their level of awareness has been altered, though they also acknowledge that some part of this is also influenced by our behaviour. The way animals react around us whilst we're on this stuff is absolutely bizarre!

The connections that we have experienced have centred heavily around this concept of the lessening of the ego. The less ego we have, the more in tune we seem to be with each other (and the less in our own heads we seem to be), and it's interesting to analyse this with regards to the comparison between animals and human beings. Human beings live, and adapt to a society which demands that they become an individual due to the vast variety of different social demands which we are subjected to. Out of this, we sometimes fall victim to things such as mental disorder and compulsion, either because of the stress of it all, or in order to cope with it.

Looking at certain animals by contrast, as they do not have a variety of social demands for which they have to adapt, the behaviour they display seems to be indicative of very little ego whatsoever. When you watch the birds/fish/flies/bees move together in such a fashion as to indicate that they seem to be part of one (as opposed to the evident individuation of the human race), it almost seems as if we are looking at the other end of the scale. House trained animals such as dogs seem to fit somewhere in-between this.

I've ranted on here in a fairly irrelevant fashion, so I'll stop there. :)

Hectic

Supports
30fps

Steady on mate they are just Japanese.

KingEric7

In all seriousness though, just what the feck has happened over the last few days?! :lol:

I'm back at uni in Kent next week, so I'll be paying these crabs a visit if they're still there, the poor fellows.

KingEric7

It's a ridiculous list, so far.

Me thinks the Earth is sucking the energy out of its inhabitants in order to prepare itself for, and to power, an extraordinary change. We will be next, obviously.

I'm just about to set off to get on a plane to South Africa, so I'm naturally quite worried about things falling out of the sky. Goodbye all, if I never return to this thread, then you'll know that it's because of some sort of strange Bermuda triangle type plane disappearing scenario.

Farewell. :(

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
It's a ridiculous list, so far.

Me thinks the Earth is sucking the energy out of its inhabitants in order to prepare itself for, and to power, an extraordinary change. We will be next, obviously.

I'm just about to set off to get on a plane to South Africa, so I'm naturally quite worried about things falling out of the sky. Goodbye all, if I never return to this thread, then you'll know that it's because of some sort of strange Bermuda triangle type plane disappearing scenario.

Farewell. :(
Begs to wonder if this strange phenomena where to settle in over Anfield and wipe out everyone in the stadium with Chelsea as the visiting team... would that catch anyone's attention?

... What is kind of odd, the weather channel isn't taking this seriously at all by saying, 'At least it's not raining rats.' ... brilliant

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
To be honest, I've no idea what that stuff is categorised as, but it sure is a strong psychedelic. It doesn't produce completely random hallucinations if that's what you mean, but what it does do is make you appreciate that there could well be alternative realms or dimensions made possible by other means of perception. At higher doses, it's supposedly comparable to DMT (the strongest known psychedelic), which is a chemical that has caused a fair bit of interest given that it's one of the few compounds that can pass the blood brain barrier, and is also a chemical produced by the pineal gland in the centre of the brain (the location of which indicating some sort of evolutionary significance). It's interesting how much progress was made in psychology in the 60s in regards to this sort of field of research until such work was banned. A scientist called Rick Strassman recently managed to gain permission to carry out such work, and the resultant book - DMT: The Spirit Molecule - is incredibly interesting.

Ketamine is an amazing experience, to be honest. We've had what can only be described as telepathic (by this, I mean the transferring of ideas and emotions via intention) experiences on it on certain occasions though, again, when you start talking about this sort of thing in terms of narcotics, you get your fair share of people labelling you as, well, a bit of a mentalist. Can't really blame them - I know how it sounds! What I have found interesting is the introduction of people to the situation who are not on the drug, and their subsequent reaction. People have commented that they feel almost as if they have entered some sort of zone whereby their level of awareness has been altered, though they also acknowledge that some part of this is also influenced by our behaviour. The way animals react around us whilst we're on this stuff is absolutely bizarre!

The connections that we have experienced have centred heavily around this concept of the lessening of the ego. The less ego we have, the more in tune we seem to be with each other (and the less in our own heads we seem to be), and it's interesting to analyse this with regards to the comparison between animals and human beings. Human beings live, and adapt to a society which demands that they become an individual due to the vast variety of different social demands which we are subjected to. Out of this, we sometimes fall victim to things such as mental disorder and compulsion, either because of the stress of it all, or in order to cope with it.

Looking at certain animals by contrast, as they do not have a variety of social demands for which they have to adapt, the behaviour they display seems to be indicative of very little ego whatsoever. When you watch the birds/fish/flies/bees move together in such a fashion as to indicate that they seem to be part of one (as opposed to the evident individuation of the human race), it almost seems as if we are looking at the other end of the scale. House trained animals such as dogs seem to fit somewhere in-between this.

I've ranted on here in a fairly irrelevant fashion, so I'll stop there. :)
You make some interesting points, I just watched a fascinating documentary on LSD over the holiday so I see what you're getting at.

The only thing I would offer is that the animals you interact with react in a bizarre fashion due to their expectations of human behaviour and their ability to sense and react accordingly to a person's physical and mental state (i.e the calm assertiveness promoted by the Dog Whisperer). My missus used to sleepwalk and our pets were very wary of her in such a state. Those animals who are more experienced and comfortable around us are the first to recognize when we are not ourselves, whether that is from inner or outer influences. That's not to diminish the validity of your experiences only to highlight that animals are more perceptive than many give them credit for.