Deadline Day 2023

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I’m predicting & I have no reasoning for this other than pure spitballing and instinct. (No doubt I’ll be wrong)

Amrabat & Pavard in

Maguire/McT out

JuriM

I’m predicting & I have no reasoning for this other than pure spitballing and instinct. (No doubt I’ll be wrong)

Amrabat & Pavard in

Maguire/McT out
Pavard already said today that he isn't leaving Bayern.

Blood Mage

If we don't get another midfielder in by deadline day I'd say 5th place at best this season. Hopefully that will at least be the end of the Glazers.

Scholsey2004

Theres a chance of Amrabat but that relies on us selling a player first and nothing seems imminent. I suspect we're done.

NoPace

Yeah feels like Donny move is dead in water and McTominay will be staying too
At the moment I can't disagree. Donny leaves in January since Mainoo will be back by then, McTominay is sold next summer and we buy his (and Casemiro's long-term) replacement then.

Banana Republic

Time running out and Utd have made no approach to Fiorentina to sign Amrabat.
So that one might be just more press talk.
Pavard staying at Bayern too.

doomy20

After getting Hojlund done as 3rd signing I was really optimistic the window could be a top 3 settler. To bad the Maguire situation then basically crushed down everything else and now we just sit there doing nothing

OrcaFat

If last year is anything to go by, it will depend how the games go between now and deadline day. Everyone says we’re skint but I won’t be shocked if we find another few quid from somewhere.

Plastic Evra

I could see a couple of loans unfolding at the end of the window or a panic transfer (charitably : "we waited to see if there was a good deal available.")

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Think we’ll get one more over the line but struggle to sell anyone else for a substantial amount of money.

parmenio

Amrabat i think will happen. Anything else depends on outgoings.

croadyman

After getting Hojlund done as 3rd signing I was really optimistic the window could be a top 3 settler. To bad the Maguire situation then basically crushed down everything else and now we just sit there doing nothing
Yeah things looked good until we made in hindsight a dreadful mistake by rejecting that double bid for Maguire & McTominay

croadyman

I could see a couple of loans unfolding at the end of the window or a panic transfer (charitably : "we waited to see if there was a good deal available.")
Which position could you see a loan out of midfield and attack just out of interest

Plastic Evra

Which position could you see a loan out of midfield and attack just out of interest
CF like last year, especially if Martial has a bad physio start of the year. Maybe a seasoned journeyman striker to rotate with Hojlund... Didn't work well with Wout but needs must. I think a handful of names could be available.
Midfield numbers wise the squad is OK and Mount is clearly first XI choice for EtH. I'm not sure the caliber of MF we're looking for would be available on a loan either at DM or CM.

croadyman

CF like last year, especially if Martial has a bad physio start of the year. Maybe a seasoned journeyman striker to rotate with Hojlund... Didn't work well with Wout but needs must. I think a handful of names could be available.
Midfield numbers wise the squad is OK and Mount is clearly first XI choice for EtH. I'm not sure the caliber of MF we're looking for would be available on a loan either at DM or CM.
Gravenberch maybe?

What journeyman striker do you feel could help take some of the pressure off Rasmus

whitbyviking

No more signings, maybe Maguire or McTom out on loan, think Donny will go on loan too.

Massive opportunity lost

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Yeah things looked good until we made in hindsight a dreadful mistake by rejecting that double bid for Maguire & McTominay
Then we’d have complained that they went too cheaply & besides I don’t know how many times I have to say it, you can’t force a player out if he doesn’t want to leave

croadyman

Then we’d have complained that they went too cheaply & besides I don’t know how many times I have to say it, you can’t force a player out if he doesn’t want to leave
I personally felt it was a decent deal

OrcaFat

We should probably let interested clubs speak to our “available” players to negotiate personal terms first. Then the clubs can make us an offer knowing what it’s going to cost them in wages etc.

Borussia Teeth

No. No! Not in hindsight. It was a mistake from the beginning. That was a good deal and should have been accepted. David Moyes is one of the only Managers that would want to spend a pretty penny on those kind of players. We overplayed our hand and fair few posters could see we were making a mistake.

All of the posters (there were many) suggesting we could squeeze more money for either/both don't understand the market. Their arguments for McTominay would always refer to Caicedo, Rice, Lavia etc without acknowledging the fact that big clubs, not mid table clubs, were spending big money on those players. Smaller clubs do not spend 40m+ on midfielders (maybe attackers) when they can get much cheaper options across Europe.

As for Maguire: no clubs are gonna spend above 20m AND take on the wages. We should have taken a lower fee and got West Ham to pay the difference. Yet some idiots on here we saying "40m! England international blah blah blah." They've all seemed to have gone hiding now.

Our transfer team have failed ten Hag by not shifting these players. They're just as foolish as half the forum expecting to extract decent money for our overpaid, failed players.

Overhaul FC

I wonder what the wage bill is now vs when Ten Hag took over.

It must be considerably lower with alot of big hitters and legacy players having left. Surely the reduction in wage bill should allow for one or two signings even if McTominay or Maguire don't leave.

The squad now seems more right sized in terms of numbers.

Maguire and VdB seem to me like the only players that have no business being in the squad now and we should get rid for any offers we get from now til the end of the window or we'll only be in a worse position going forwards.

Henderson/McTominay/Williams should be sold if we get reasonable money for them but I wouldn't be forcing any of them out for little money. We have to factor in Carabao Cup and FA cup games too.

Amrabat and Pavard do improve the squad and potentially the starting line up too. Amrabat, Pavard and Hojlund coming into the squad could have a tangible impact and it needs to happen.

Plastic Evra

It must be considerably lower with alot of big hitters and legacy players having left. Surely the reduction in wage bill should allow for one or two signings even if McTominay or Maguire don't leave.

Maguire and VdB seem to me like the only players that have no business being in the squad now and we should get rid for any offers we get from now til the end of the window or we'll only be in a worse position going forwards.

Henderson/McTominay/Williams should be sold if we get reasonable money for them but I wouldn't be forcing any of them out for little money. We have to factor in Carabao Cup and FA cup games too.

Amrabat and Pavard do improve the squad and potentially the starting line up too. Amrabat, Pavard and Hojlund coming into the squad could have a tangible impact and it needs to happen.
Numbers to be taken with all the usual caveats but Capology estimate we went from £252,330,000 last season to £214,360,000 yearly... But that's still way higher than the estimated total mass 5-6 years ago and equivalent to City.
Not that much room really. Conceivably you could replace Maguire and Martial with less wage intensive players, McTominay not so much. And of course better if the transfer fees are neutral (replacement more or less bought for the value sold). Sancho allegedly a massive drain too.

Last edited:

croadyman

Might want to throw a backup ST into the mix too or of course that physical midfielder still lacking

Ted Lasso

City signing a €71M winger for funzies that I haven't once seen comments about in this forum. Who needs consequences.