Deadwood: A New Beginning

peridigm

All teams have deadwood but we seem to take it to a different level each season. A player should not reach deadwood status until they’ve completed at least one full contract yet we have several that are quickly staking a claim for deadwood status after just signing Or their 2nd or 3rd season.

fallengt

Not exactly deadwoods but I'd replace

- Bruno
- Rashford
- Pellestri
- Antony
- Sancho

They're the reason our final third is so crap. Individual, moment players

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We need a complete wipe out, and start something all over again.

Rashford and Bruno are two great solo players, but I think we need to progress as a team without these two, who became our biggest issue this season.

Red Star One

Deadwood is essentially what's left of managers that had too much say in recruitment process and went unchallenged on requesting specific players. Sancho and Maguire are great examples of the previous era, when we inevitably sack ten Hag there will be a couple of players as such - Mount, Antony etc.

PSV

Got excited for moment, but then I realized it wasn't the entertainment forum.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ten Hag and his tracksuit mafia are the real deadwood here. Cannot drill the right principles and routines and has had more than enough time to do so.

r0663664

Worships Man City

- Bruno
- Rashford
- Pellestri
- Antony
- Sancho

Let me guess how much can we recoup? Probably 120 million, then we can buy another 2 crap players to replace them.

IrishMcD

- Bruno
- Rashford
- Pellestri
- Antony
- Sancho

I promise you within 12 months you’ll be adding Mount to that list. The minute we signed him I lost faith in ETH. Ridiculous signing for a crazy price seeing as he had one year left. Solves none of the issues we had in our starting team.
The problem is, people might think changing players will fix us. Others think we need overhaul of management and coaching. Others blame the board and owners.
We fix nothing if only one of those things change. Sadly all three need to change for this club to get back to where it needs to be.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Garnacho and Varane are all thats worth keeping. The rest just aren't up to it.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I promise you within 12 months you’ll be adding Mount to that list. The minute we signed him I lost faith in ETH. Ridiculous signing for a crazy price seeing as he had one year left. Solves none of the issues we had in our starting team.
The problem is, people might think changing players will fix us. Others think we need overhaul of management and coaching. Others blame the board and owners.
We fix nothing if only one of those things change. Sadly all three need to change for this club to get back to where it needs to be.
I didn't lose faith but the summer signings were a warning sign and the alarms are still going.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If we go down the route of thinking about the next manager, don't think our squad is too bad. Good pieces are:
  • Onanais good and backup GK is fine
  • Dalot is good with Wan Bissaka as backup is fine
  • Martinez is good. Lindelof as a depth CB is good
  • Shaw is quality, Malacia is good as depth, reguilon is fine too but on loan
  • Casemiro quality but old, but not a big concern as we should be able to work around it. Amrabat is good. Mainoo big potential
  • Bruno and Mount very good but gotta find a system to get it all working.
  • Hojlund big potential, but raw. Garnacho an elite talent. Amad a lot of talent.
  • Rashford can be a very good player but obviously inconsistent, shit work rate, moody, but obviously is a keep
On the players who need acting on, ideally a swift replace due to fitness levels or quality or age, I'd put:
  • Varane
  • Maguire
  • Eriksen
  • McTominay
  • Van de Beek
  • Pellistri (let's get a good fee for him before his value plummets, not enough for United)
  • Sancho
  • Antony
  • Martial

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Inevitable consequence of giving managers full power and expecting them to act as de facto DOF and Chief Scout. Ten years on and the club still hasn't learned.

Devil81

Cash your chips on Bruno, no top side would accept a player who turns over the ball so many times during a game. So what he finds a worldie pass every few games but watch the majority of the goals we conced, he always seems to have an hand in losing possession.

As for the rest, Antony, Sancho, Martial, Eriksen, Lindelof, Maguire, Mount, VDB and Mctominey

Not having any of those players anymore I'm afraid. All for varying reasons but all need moving on.

Mount was a mistake, we didn't need a fecking Chelsea cast off for twice his true value.

Ddannidom

We will never win any major trophy with Bruno and Rashford as our talisman. Ever!

peridigm

Garnacho and Varane are all thats worth keeping. The rest just aren't up to it.
Varane is coming to the end and is injury prone. Need to be looking at replacements now. I don't think a player like Varane will show the same quality as a part time backup. If we sign his replacement in January or next summer, he should go to Saudi Arabia.

DavidDeSchmikes

If we go down the route of thinking about the next manager, don't think our squad is too bad. Good pieces are:
  • Onanais good and backup GK is fine
  • Dalot is good with Wan Bissaka as backup is fine
  • Martinez is good. Lindelof as a depth CB is good
  • Shaw is quality, Malacia is good as depth, reguilon is fine too but on loan
  • Casemiro quality but old, but not a big concern as we should be able to work around it. Amrabat is good. Mainoo big potential
  • Bruno and Mount very good but gotta find a system to get it all working.
  • Hojlund big potential, but raw. Garnacho an elite talent. Amad a lot of talent.
  • Rashford can be a very good player but obviously inconsistent, shit work rate, moody, but obviously is a keep
On the players who need acting on, ideally a swift replace due to fitness levels or quality or age, I'd put:
  • Varane
  • Maguire
  • Eriksen
  • McTominay
  • Van de Beek
  • Pellistri (let's get a good fee for him before his value plummets, not enough for United)
  • Sancho
  • Antony
  • Martial
I can understand the sentiment regarding the good pieces about the squad, but with the players who will need a swift replacing, when you consider how our recruitment has been over the past decade, there's no guarantee we'll replace them well

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I can understand the sentiment regarding the good pieces about the squad, but with the players who will need a swift replacing, when you consider how our recruitment has been over the past decade, there's no guarantee we'll replace them well
Sure but there is useful players there, it's just if we want an aggressive rebuild then we'll address those guys. A good chunk of them are leaving anyway. Others can stay another year as backups. Varane is a quality player but just would be better to move onto a settled partnership for example.

I don't think we are in a bad position squad wise. Injury crisis right now and need to still clear out some shit. But we should be doing better and there can't be excuses for that.