Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The Hendo situation is fairly easy to manage in my opinion, dependent on whether Romero is leaving (I seem to recall hearing he likely will). For all of Hendo's heroics this season, he's a 23-yr old at Sheffield United. Like many have pointed out, the expectation levels are worlds apart. He needs patience and good guidance. Come back to United as Number 2. He'll get Cup games to show his worth, get to learn from DDG and seamlessly take over if he proves himself. VDS played over 200 games for us after joining at 35. Hendo's career has barely started...
Loan him out again is better than stay in here as no 2. Goalkeeper is about getting games time on the pitch because they are just different compare to others. This is his first season playing in a top tier competition, it's better to give him another year or two playing in PL or even settle the regular England no 1 GK first before become United no 1. Massive difference between playing for United and playing for Sheffield United. One PL season with Sheffield is not enough, he'll need more and I'm happy how Sheffield's coaches team developing him.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The Hendo situation is fairly easy to manage in my opinion, dependent on whether Romero is leaving (I seem to recall hearing he likely will). For all of Hendo's heroics this season, he's a 23-yr old at Sheffield United. Like many have pointed out, the expectation levels are worlds apart. He needs patience and good guidance. Come back to United as Number 2. He'll get Cup games to show his worth, get to learn from DDG and seamlessly take over if he proves himself. VDS played over 200 games for us after joining at 35. Hendo's career has barely started...
Given his season this year I suspect hes aiming to challenge to be englands keeper at the euros next summer - that wont happen if hes on the bench
He has a contract till 2022 - probably best to sell him this summer (or a loan with a fixed price at the end) and hopefully insert a reasonable buyback clause in there

Deery

Dreary
He looks ready to take over from DeGea now, but because of David’s contract I think he will be loaned out next season then brought back the next season, possibly to be the number 1 goalkeeper then.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He looks ready to take over from DeGea now, but because of David’s contract I think he will be loaned out next season then brought back the next season, possibly to be the number 1 goalkeeper then.
I think if the Manager thinks he is a better bet than DDG he should put him. We should play our best keeper.

Nickelodeon

Has to be England's undisputed No.1 now. Can't believe that Pickford is still technically the England No.1.

Deery

Dreary
I think if the Manager thinks he is a better bet than DDG he should put him. We should play our best keeper.
It would mean paying DeGea massive wages to sit on the bench, if we wanted to sell him be hard to get a fee plus maybe DeGea’s form returns we can’t just bin him either, but one more bad season could be costly for him.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
It would mean paying DeGea massive wages to sit on the bench, if we wanted to sell him be hard to get a fee plus maybe DeGea’s form returns we can’t just bin him either, but one more bad season could be costly for him.
fair points - if DDG left and Hendo came in then i'd not be unhappy

RkkMan

Given his season this year I suspect hes aiming to challenge to be englands keeper at the euros next summer - that wont happen if hes on the bench
He has a contract till 2022 - probably best to sell him this summer (or a loan with a fixed price at the end) and hopefully insert a reasonable buyback clause in there
2023 there is an option to extend for another year. He can easily go get EL experience with Sheffield then come back and challenge DDG in the 21/22 season and be our no1 in the 22/23 season which will be DDG`s last season at Utd as per his contract which expires in 2023.

dbs235

Has to be England's undisputed No.1 now. Can't believe that Pickford is still technically the England No.1.
Pickford has been a lot more reliable for England than his club (it's usually the other way round for England players) and his ability/mentality of playing out from the back has been a big help for Southgate's plan to get England playing a better style of football, compared to when we had Hart. I'm sure Henderson will take over at some point but I think Pickford has credit in the bank with the England coaching team for now.

GiddyUp

Really is a massive year ahead for De Gea but a problem I'm happy the club has. Nothing gave me the shits more then replacing Schmeichel & van de Sar

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
There’s a whole difference between keeping for a team like Sheff Utd and a team like Man Utd. Ben Foster has looked great for the likes of WBA and Watford, but Man Utd not so much... even Tim Howard never really settled down despite looking good initially, but then felt more reliable at Everton.

That is one thing to be weary of when considering Henderson.
If Foster was given as many chances as De Gea he would be our keeper right now. Foster was scapegoated by United supporters after making a couple of mistakes. I said it at the time that he would come good and I was right. Would he be good enough to be our #1? Not sure, but he was a lot better than the fans gave him credit for...

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
If Foster was given as many chances as De Gea he would be our keeper right now. Foster was scapegoated by United supporters after making a couple of mistakes. I said it at the time that he would come good and I was right. Would he be good enough to be our #1? Not sure, but he was a lot better than the fans gave him credit for...
Don’t agree with this. Foster has always been a capable enough keepers however, he had always had big mistakes in him. That’s still the case now which is why he’s never been given the chance at another big club. De Gea has rightfully earned lots of time and respect as he was the undisputed best keeper in the world a couple seasons ago.

Having said all that I think we do need to manage the Henderson situation clearly. Perhaps one more year on loan and then he should get the chance to properly compete with De Gea.

Lynty

Sell him with a buy back. Or put him on a long term loan.

On his day, De Gea is still the best shot stopper in the world.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Don’t agree with this. Foster has always been a capable enough keepers however, he had always had big mistakes in him. That’s still the case now which is why he’s never been given the chance at another big club. De Gea has rightfully earned lots of time and respect as he was the undisputed best keeper in the world a couple seasons ago.

Having said all that I think we do need to manage the Henderson situation clearly. Perhaps one more year on loan and then he should get the chance to properly compete with De Gea.
Pretty sure there's also a mentality thing with Foster too. Didn't he moan about not being allowed enough time to celebrate winning the league cup when we had more big matches on the immediate horizon.
He made valid points and I don't want to criticise him for his own opinions on how football should be enjoyed, but under Fergie we were a relentless machine where certain standards were expected as a minimum. He just wasn't the right player for that environment.

Stacks

Henderson is still very young and its a totally different prospect playing well for Shef Utd and being under pressure at United. Few bad games and it might destroy him. He is a great keeper but lets handle him gently. A few years on loan would be the best path for him.
I doubt it because Man Utd are not the title challenging team we were before so players are getting away with slackness much more than during Ferguson's years when we had to win every game. We have won less than half our games and play in the Europa. If De Gea was given time to develop and make mistakes during our Fergie "win at all costs" era then I am sure an academy graduate from Lancashire, playing for a much less successful United, will be given time to iron errors out of his game. Even our manager isn't a proven top level winning manager so there will be more concessions made.
Hoek said that he still believes that De Gea is top keeper and has trust in him. He actually believes that he did really well for past two years despite the criticism.
Henderson has done really well as well, but there is a difference in playing for Sheffield United and MU — everything at Man Utd will be scrutinised etc. Henderson should get more experience playing for England and at Sheffield etc and then in a years time we will have a decision to make.

Personally, I agree with that. Lad is 23 year of age — that fairly young for a keeper and he should bide his time, when the time comes he can come back and compete with De Gea for the first spot.
there was a difference playing for Atletico and Fergies United yet De Gea still got picked through the errors and United are a lot closer to Sheffield United now (if you check the table). We are not a title topping team and he is an academy player so he will get away with a lot more, because he cost us nothing and we are far from a side ready to challenge. Its better to test him out now, before we actually get to that level and find out he isn't capable.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I doubt it because Man Utd are not the title challenging team we were before so players are getting away with slackness much more than during Ferguson's years when we had to win every game. We have won less than half our games and play in the Europa. If De Gea was given time to develop and make mistakes during our Fergie "win at all costs" era then I am sure an academy graduate from Lancashire, playing for a much less successful United, will be given time to iron errors out of his game. Even our manager isn't a proven top level winning manager so there will be more concessions made.

there was a difference playing for Atletico and Fergies United yet De Gea still got picked through the errors and United are a lot closer to Sheffield United now (if you check the table). We are not a title topping team and he is an academy player so he will get away with a lot more, because he cost us nothing and we are far from a side ready to challenge. Its better to test him out now, before we actually get to that level and find out he isn't capable.
I’d argue it’s actually gotten worse now. Our fans have no patience at all. We’ve seen it with likes of Fred who we’re written off after first bad season. We mightn't be table topping but we’re still just as talked about, just as famous. And there were a lot of calls to drop De Gea around the time too. Henderson would get even more scrutiny, seeing as he’s English. See Pickford at Everton and multiply that time’s 10.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

In my opinion De Gea has always been overrated. He has at one point been the best shot stopper on the planet, but far from best keeper. To be the best it doesn't mean you have the best highlight reel. You also have to be brilliant at the basics. Something De Gea has always struggled with. I agree that Henderson should go out on loan for one more year, but only because De Gea is on the contract that he is. A contract that in my opinion never should have happened. He should have been sold when his value was high. Now the only team I can see possibly buying him is Juve, but it would be at a fraction of the price he could have been sold for a couple years ago...

Stacks

Sell him with a buy back. Or put him on a long term loan.

On his day, De Gea is still the best shot stopper in the world.
I feel De Gea is more useful for teams who get peppered and have weak defense. He has been a liabilty for Spain and us for quite a while. When you say "on his day", the question is how often is this day nowadays? When you are a team with a good defense, you need GK who make few errors and will be reliable when called upon in these rare moments. He has been making errors leading to goals for a while now so I am 50/50 with him.

Stacks

I’d argue it’s actually gotten worse now. Our fans have no patience at all. We’ve seen it with likes of Fred who we’re written off after first bad season. We mightn't be table topping but we’re still just as talked about, just as famous. And there were a lot of calls to drop De Gea around the time too. Henderson would get even more scrutiny, seeing as he’s English. See Pickford at Everton and multiply that time’s 10.
He cost 50 odd mill and we are desperate for CM support to free up Pogba so that has exasperated it. Fans are tired of seeing us spunk money on shite players, then claim "the glazers aint spening" only to realise we spend more than anyone, so when they look at the receipts, they start the inquisition.

De Gea came in to replace Van Der Sar who had just overseen one of our most successful periods in history.

Henderson is an academy graduate who is young and is coming into a team that is rebuilding and averaging 6th placed finishes. Not the same. He will make mistakes but as long as he isn;t the sole reason we aren't challenging then he will get time.

Andersonson

We should never sell one of the best goalkeepers around because one youngster has had one good season in the prem.

That error could become a disaster. Loan him out and be patient.

Paxi

He cost 50 odd mill and we are desperate for CM support to free up Pogba so that has exasperated it. Fans are tired of seeing us spunk money on shite players, then claim "the glazers aint spening" only to realise we spend more than anyone, so when they look at the receipts, they start the inquisition.

De Gea came in to replace Van Der Sar who had just overseen one of our most successful periods in history.

Henderson is an academy graduate who is young and is coming into a team that is rebuilding and averaging 6th placed finishes. Not the same. He will make mistakes but as long as he isn;t the sole reason we aren't challenging then he will get time.
And Henderson will be coming for one of the best keepers of the premier league era? You don’t think there will be huge pressure!?Pressure will be far more than Fred ever received.

Okey

In my opinion De Gea has always been overrated. He has at one point been the best shot stopper on the planet, but far from best keeper. To be the best it doesn't mean you have the best highlight reel. You also have to be brilliant at the basics. Something De Gea has always struggled with. I agree that Henderson should go out on loan for one more year, but only because De Gea is on the contract that he is. A contract that in my opinion never should have happened. He should have been sold when his value was high. Now the only team I can see possibly buying him is Juve, but it would be at a fraction of the price he could have been sold for a couple years ago...
Might not be the most popular camp in the world but I'm in this camp. He's never really been my ideal keeper. But no denying he's been great for us. I just prefer my keepers more proactive and dominant... And you can add PSG to the possible buyers list. Navas is no spring chicken. An injury or drop in form and he'll need replacing cos of his age.

Luciano Venturini

Loan Henderson back to Sheffield United again next season and give him a fair chance to claim the England number 1 spot from Pickford for the European Championship (which looks more and more likely every game that goes by).

De Gea has been a great servant for us and at times the best goalkeeper in the world. People are quick to give praise to our defenders for our improved defensive record (and rightly so) but seems De Gea still on the end of some stick from soem corners of our fanbase. Still a class operator and no doubt should be our number one next season.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Might not be the most popular camp in the world but I'm in this camp. He's never really been my ideal keeper. But no denying he's been great for us. I just prefer my keepers more proactive and dominant... And you can add PSG to the possible buyers list. Navas is no spring chicken. An injury or drop in form and he'll need replacing cos of his age.
Navas still has a couple years left in the tank I'm guessing. He's also been a very underrated and under appreciated keeper during his time at Real Madrid. I always thought he was a good keeper and didn't quite understand why Real Madrid was trying to hard to get De Gea. I could see De Gea going to PSG when Navas retires, but not while he's there

Addled

Does DeGea feel any pressure from Romero or Henderson?
If an outfield player was making these mistakes they would be dropped because there would be alternatives.
I never get the impression that DeGea is under any pressure.

Paxi

And a fantastic save after that. He’s still a great keeper.

Furthermore, yes he should have did better in hindsight but that was a free shot inside the box and that was solely down to our defence.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good save, should have done better for the goal (albeit from a powerful shot).

Would love to hear why he thinks his form has dropped over the last two seasons.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer

Would love to hear why he thinks his form has dropped over the last two seasons.
Did he say that? You got a link please?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Did he say that? You got a link please?
Sorry, I phrased that badly. I meant "I would like someone to ask him why his form has has dipped over the last two seasons and then hear his answer."

Paxi

He should have did better. It hit his closed fist and went in - just rust and nothing more. Although, obviously, top form De Gea saves that without a second thought.

Lentwood

We’re going to do that classic Utd thing aren’t we where we make excuses for a declining player over and over again until 90% of the fanbase finally realise a player is gone at the game

Henderson HAS to be #1 next year. Romero is a better option than De Gea right now

Zoo

And a fantastic save after that. He’s still a great keeper.

Furthermore, yes he should have did better in hindsight but that was a free shot inside the box and that was solely down to our defence.
He should have saved it, come on. I dunno what happened to him. 5 minutes before kick off it hit me wondering what we would get from De Gea today, that’s where we are now wondering what he’s going do each game.