Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I don't follow football as much as I used to, so I can't name anyone besides the usual suspects like Oblak, Onana, etc

I don't trust Onana personally. He reminds me too much of Barthez. He might be to eccentric and inconsistent, but that might be my bias here.

Donaruma might be a good shout, but he's still too young and error prone.

One thing is for certain. We have to start phasing out De Gea starting next season. We should also bring back Deano. He might not be Jesus Christ reincarnated, but it's always good to have a plan B in case De Gea's form completely falls off the cliff.

Also I don't trust Romero. He is the world's best No.2. And it should stay that way.
So this is the thing the obvious candidate Oblak is going to cost a lot and adjusting to a new physical league isn’t the easiest.

So I agree a measured approach should be taken.

We shouldn’t ignore De Geas performances being worse than his best and he should be criticised for poor games. But we do still need him at the club as we are not in a position to replace him yet.

I have high hopes Henderson could replace him but not next season.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Dean's mistakes and weaknesses will be scrutinized and criticized without mercy once he play in our shirt.
Agreed and then it’s not about ability it’s about mental strength. Can you perform constantly under pressure and credit to De Gea more often then not he does.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s literally word for word explaining each goal and I invite you to watch them and point out any you disagree with.

Id be more than happy to debate individual errors by both goal keepers if you wish to contest any of the analysis.

Don’t be lazy and just dismiss evidence I’ve put effort into understanding my argument so put effort into yours if you’re suggesting mine isn’t good enough. Mine is based on actual analysis of every goal conceded.

I have watched every single goal of both conceded and if anything it’s being harsh on De Gea how they summarised it.
It’s definitely not great analysis, it only really takes into account clear obvious errors (whilst even omitting some of those for De Gea) which obviously doesn’t then tell you about the goals that were just soft or things like that. To me it’s a partly done analysis of the goals the keepers have conceded along with one guys opinion on what is and isn’t an error. To me if you’re going to look into the errors leading to goal the premier league website is far more valid to use.
I also don’t really agree with the points lost idea, purely because that isn’t so much up to the keeper once they make a mistake, it’s up to their team to push on and win the match.
I know you’ve probably spent a lot of time reading the Reddit ‘analysis’ but I’m sorry I just don’t really think his takes are all that valid.

Sparky Rhiwabon

We have a simple choice in the summer - make Henderson our number 1 or sell him to a club that will. His career is now beyond the point where we can farm him out on loan, he’s already proved himself, and I doubt he’ll want to come back to sit on the bench.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It’s definitely not great analysis, it only really takes into account clear obvious errors (whilst even omitting some of those for De Gea) which obviously doesn’t then tell you about the goals that were just soft or things like that. To me it’s a partly done analysis of the goals the keepers have conceded along with one guys opinion on what is and isn’t an error. To me if you’re going to look into the errors leading to goal the premier league website is far more valid to use.
I also don’t really agree with the points lost idea, purely because that isn’t so much up to the keeper once they make a mistake, it’s up to their team to push on and win the match.
I know you’ve probably spent a lot of time reading the Reddit ‘analysis’ but I’m sorry I just don’t really think his takes are all that valid.
That’s the only thing I’m contesting is the clear errors. It’s literally the only argument I’m making is centred around mistakes that are clear and costly and only De Gea’s fault.

I made my own mind up based on watching all the clips I would recommend you do the same before being critical of it. I’d be intrigued what you specifically disagree with rather than just saying it’s an opinion.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That’s the only thing I’m contesting is the clear errors. It’s literally the only argument I’m making is centred around mistakes that are clear and costly and only De Gea’s fault.

I made my own mind up based on watching all the clips I would recommend you do the same before being critical of it. I’d be intrigued what you specifically disagree with rather than just saying it’s an opinion.
Okay so if we’re only looking at clear and obvious errors, we can’t say the one Henderson conceded against Tottenham is one, it deflects through him from mere metres away.
The one Henderson conceded against I think it Chelsea is no more an error than De Geas against Everton at Old Trafford, yet the table shows differently.
According to the premier league Henderson has one clear error which is right, the Liverpool one, that’s not to say he hasn’t had moments of soft goalkeeping, but he hasn’t made more than the one bad error.
Not to mention the wording in the Reddit guys explanations can be a bit funny, I think it was the Tottenham one where he says it basically isn’t an error, but De Gea gets overly criticised so he’s counting it, which shows his bias. He’s the one guy looking at every clip so he can’t justify giving one error because he feels the other keeper is hard done by when he’s literally making every judgement in the analysis.

AneRu

We have a simple choice in the summer - make Henderson our number 1 or sell him to a club that will. His career is now beyond the point where we can farm him out on loan, he’s already proved himself, and I doubt he’ll want to come back to sit on the bench.
I don't think that makes sense at all, we just cant guarantee Dean Henderson the No.1 spot on account of his Sheffield United performances. I think the best we should offer him is a fair chance at winning the number one shirt say start him in the Cup games and if De Gea has a shaky start give him starts in the league. If he cant accept that then sell him.

Amarsdd

Are there any stats regarding how Henderson commands his box during crosses and set pieces? From what I've seen of Sheffield United this season, he seems a lot more aggressive commanding his box than De Gea has ever been.

Last edited:

romufc

I don't think that makes sense at all, we just cant guarantee Dean Henderson the No.1 spot on account of his Sheffield United performances. I think the best we should offer him is a fair chance at winning the number one shirt say start him in the Cup games and if De Gea has a shaky start give him starts in the league. If he cant accept that then sell him.
This seems to be the most logical option. There is no chance we go into next season with Henderson as our number 1. Whoever think he is ready, needs to think again.

He makes mistakes at SU and avoids criticism, the same mistakes at United will have the fans and rivals laughing at him and making sly comments.

The United shirt is not easy to wear. Look how long it took Courtouis to settle into Madrid.

A conversation should be had with Henderson.. you will get your chance but you will have to buy your time. Play him in cups and start the season with DDG for prem.

His first howler and Henderson is in for 5 games. Then you take it from there.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
This seems to be the most logical option. There is no chance we go into next season with Henderson as our number 1. Whoever think he is ready, needs to think again.

He makes mistakes at SU and avoids criticism, the same mistakes at United will have the fans and rivals laughing at him and making sly comments.

The United shirt is not easy to wear. Look how long it took Courtouis to settle into Madrid.

A conversation should be had with Henderson.. you will get your chance but you will have to buy your time. Play him in cups and start the season with DDG for prem.

Agreed. He won’t just walk in. Earn the shot at the club.

AneRu

True, De Gea has to be given the chance to regain his form but we also need an insurance policy should it turn out that he is done. Manchester United is too big a club to just hand Dean Henderson the number shirt and he is also too good to just be a back up whilst De Gea is now too shaky to be the undisputed No.1.

romufc

Agreed. He won’t just walk in. Earn the shot at the club.
For anyone saying he can, remember Ben Foster? Yes, Henderson might be different but I am not willing to take that risk.

True, De Gea has to be given the chance to regain his form but we also need an insurance policy should it turn out that he is done. Manchester United is too big a club to just hand Dean Henderson the number shirt and he is also too good to just be a back up whilst De Gea is now too shaky to be the undisputed No.1.
We have been loyal to DDG for 2 years from when he started his decline. This way you are not just getting rid, you are giving him the chance to prove himself again. If he keeps making these mistakes, even he cant complain if he gets dropped. He knows as things stand, Romero wont be taking his jersey from him.

Henderson has to fight for his place, he is not the finished article.

EwanI Ted

The idea that he should come back and play 10 cup games a season in the b-team is a non-starter. He's shown himself to be Premier League quality and has played first team football for three seasons, being benched would be a huge backwards step in his development. If he isn’t right for the first team then so be it, but he needs game time wherever he ends up.

romufc

The idea that he should come back and play 10 cup games a season in the b-team is a non-starter. He's shown himself to be Premier League quality and has played first team football for three seasons, being benched would be a huge backwards step in his development. If he isn’t right for the first team then so be it, but he needs game time wherever he ends up.
There is not a chance DDG is dropped / sold this summer. If DDG is declining like we all suspect he is, he will make another mistake.

When he does Henderson has to be ready to take the mantle. He wants to be United keeper, United will not sell him either.

So we end up with
Bench player - Non starter
DDG sold - Non starter
Henderson 1st choice - Non starter
Henderson sold - Non starter

Well then what is the solution?

AneRu

I don't see it as much of a step back but as an opportunity to take the step up. It's not like we are saying let's limit him to Cup games but that's where he will start until De Gea makes another error.

During the first half of the season we have a midweek game every week until winter. That's a good way to ease him in and if De Gea continues on the downward slope he will seamlessly takeover. We are never selling De Gea in the summer nor are we just going to start what will be De Gea's tenth season with him on the bench without giving him a chance to prove he still got it.

hmchan

There is not a chance DDG is dropped / sold this summer. If DDG is declining like we all suspect he is, he will make another mistake.

When he does Henderson has to be ready to take the mantle. He wants to be United keeper, United will not sell him either.

So we end up with
Bench player - Non starter
DDG sold - Non starter
Henderson 1st choice - Non starter
Henderson sold - Non starter

Well then what is the solution?
With all due respect I think many of you are lagging behind in this situation and giving de Gea too much leniency. de Gea WAS declining like we all suspected he was last season, and he is NOW making yet another mistake. In your opinion, how many more mistakes do we have to tolerate before we accept the hard fact and move on? People keep saying "give him a 2nd chance" whenever he commits an error, but as far as I see it's been the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th chance for him already, why do we still have to wait for one more mistake?

I agree we shouldn't just hand Henderson the no. 1 spot easily. He should prove himself to be better than the current option to become a regular starter for us. However he has already done that imo, not because he is flawless but de Gea is just too terrible. Unfortunately there's no solution to this and we're doomed to face a Rooney situation the moment we gave de Gea the ridiculous contract. It's been one of the worst deals in recent years, comparable to Sanchez.

romufc

With all due respect I think many of you are lagging behind in this situation and giving de Gea too much leniency. de Gea WAS declining like we all suspected he was last season, and he is NOW making yet another mistake. In your opinion, how many more mistakes do we have to tolerate before we accept the hard fact and move on? People keep saying "give him a 2nd chance" whenever he commits an error, but as far as I see it's been the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th chance for him already, why do we still have to wait for one more mistake?

I agree we shouldn't just hand Henderson the no. 1 spot easily. He should prove himself to be better than the current option to become a regular starter for us. However he has already done that imo, not because he is flawless but de Gea is just too terrible. Unfortunately there's no solution to this and we're doomed to face a Rooney situation the moment we gave de Gea the ridiculous contract. It's been one of the worst deals in recent years, comparable to Sanchez.
Which is why we as fans are trying to make the best out of it.

I am not lagging behind, DDG has been a very good performer for us. He has made mistakes and we have stuck by him, this is more or less an ultimatum.

So what is your solution? sell DDG give Henderson the no. 1 Jersey?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
For anyone saying he can, remember Ben Foster? Yes, Henderson might be different but I am not willing to take that risk.

We have been loyal to DDG for 2 years from when he started his decline. This way you are not just getting rid, you are giving him the chance to prove himself again. If he keeps making these mistakes, even he cant complain if he gets dropped. He knows as things stand, Romero wont be taking his jersey from him.

Henderson has to fight for his place, he is not the finished article.
Agreed. I see no issue saying to Henderson if you’re good enough you’ll play.

But he can’t walk into the first XI right away. Give him cups and filter him into the starting XI. We will soon see in the cup games if he’s up for it.

It works out best for the club because if De Gea gets back to his best you have a sellable asset or a clear No1. If he doesn’t you have a young up and comer ready to stake their claim.
Why?

It’s less of a non starter than selling De Gea and risking Henderson alone.

You tell Dean Henderson we think you have a shot next season at being Uniteds number one but you have to earn it through good performances in the cup etc for the season or you say to him one more year on loan prove it wasn’t a fluke and we’ll replace De Gea with you.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

I am not lagging behind, DDG has been a very good performer for us. He has made mistakes and we have stuck by him, this is more or less an ultimatum.

Exactly it’s not that we want to give De Gea a free pass but we haven’t had a clear succession plan in place and the last time we didn’t think it though was after Schmeichel. I’d rather we do due diligence.

EwanI Ted

I don't see it as much of a step back but as an opportunity to take the step up. It's not like we are saying let's limit him to Cup games but that's where he will start until De Gea makes another error.

During the first half of the season we have a midweek game every week until winter. That's a good way to ease him in and if De Gea continues on the downward slope he will seamlessly takeover. We are never selling De Gea in the summer nor are we just going to start what will be De Gea's tenth season with him on the bench without giving him a chance to prove he still got it.
Chopping and changing keepers is the worst of both worlds. It doesn’t help De Gea or Henderson. You have two keepers playing, both knowing a single mistake can see them back out of the team and both knowing they don’t have total faith of the manager. Neither gets enough games for consistency and familiarity to develop. Plus, it’s bad for the defence to have a different keeper every few games. Changing keepers is hard for this very reason, anything other than a clean break doesn’t really work.

romufc

Exactly it’s not that we want to give De Gea a free pass but we haven’t had a clear succession plan in place and the last time we didn’t think it though was after Schmeichel. I’d rather we do due diligence.
And with all due respect, SU is not Manutd.

You can have all the right attributes to be a top keeper but to be a keeper at Manutd needs an extra attribute.

Look at Allison for Liverpool, the calmness he brings to the back 4.

DDG used to do that for us, when defenders got beat he was there producing saves no other keeper could.

What happens if we get rid of DDG and Henderson makes a mistake?

Do fans remember the first DDG season? He made the error in the community shield? Let Dzeko's shot in? he then recovered but was dropped for a few games in December? People thought he was done, lindegard was looking good.

However; DDG got his place back then and never looked back.

Henderson will need that kind of challenge.

AneRu

Chopping and changing keepers is the worst of both worlds. It doesn’t help De Gea or Henderson. You have two keepers playing, both knowing a single mistake can see them back out of the team and both knowing they don’t have total faith of the manager. Neither gets enough games for consistency and familiarity to develop. Plus, it’s bad for the defence to have a different keeper every few games. Changing keepers is hard for this very reason, anything other than a clean break doesn’t really work.
Well it's the only way he is going to earn the number one jersey because if he doesn't do it at United Ole is never going to risk a season by just handing him the starting spot without seeing what he is about. He has done well for Sheffield United and that's just it, its Sheffield whilst De Gea came here after a season at Atletico but still had to battle Lindegaard for the jersey.

Dean's current body of work doesn't earn him the jersey at United, it's that simple. Meanwhile De Gea still has some credit in the bank so Dean's best chance is to be ready to step in whilst David exhausts that credit.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Why not? We made AWB and Maguire first choice on account of their performances with Palace and Leicester. Isn’t that what clubs do all the time, especially where the player is playing in the same league?

EwanI Ted

Well it's the only way he is going to earn the number one jersey because if he doesn't do it at United Ole is never going to risk a season by just handing him the starting spot without seeing what he is about. He has done well for Sheffield United and that's just it, its Sheffield whilst De Gea came here after a season at Atletico but still had to battle Lindegaard for the jersey.

Dean's current body of work doesn't earn him the jersey at United, it's that simple. Meanwhile De Gea still has some credit in the bank so Dean's best chance is to be ready to step in whilst David exhausts that credit.
If he’s not good enough he’s not good enough, we get someone else, but chopping and changing has been tried at the club before and doesn’t work. This thread is about Henderson so it’s him we’re taking about, but if it were any other goalkeeper it’s still true. Whether thats a young promising player or some expensive import, the same principle applies. They need the promise of a run of games without the sword of Damocles hanging over them.

AneRu

If he’s not good enough he’s not good enough, we get someone else, but chopping and changing has been tried at the club before and doesn’t work. This thread is about Henderson so it’s him we’re taking about, but if it were any other goalkeeper it’s still true. Whether thats a young promising player or some expensive import, the same principle applies. They need the promise of a run of games without the sword of Damocles hanging over them.
This is why the first half of next season is perfect. We have the CoC and Europe for him to prove his worth. If he is good enough he takes the jersey and De Gea starts looking for another team back in Spain. This is how you handle a transition, you don't risk a season by chasing off the veteran before you see how the young gun will perform.

EwanI Ted

This is why the first half of next season is perfect. We have the CoC and Europe for him to prove his worth. If he is good enough he takes the jersey and De Gea starts looking for another team back in Spain. This is how you handle a transition, you don't risk a season by chasing off the veteran before you see how the young gun will perform.
Well I disagree, but since Henderson has ruled out sitting on the bench for us it’s a moot point anyway.

tombombadil

Reminds me why I stay out of the forum more often these days.
I think I said he’s below average to among the worse by many measures this season.
You claim he is among the worst by many measures and show only ONE metric where he is closer to the MIDDLE than he is to the bottom and even then, that metric only measures performances during the MOST DIRE moments of last year while totally IGNORING the current unbeaten run. Well done with your cherry picking.

Man for man we're improving. Ole has gotten rid of Lukaku, Sanchez, Smalling, Herrera, Fellaini, Young, Valencia, Darmien and Rojo and we expect Lingard, Mata and Jones to go this summer too. Its resulted in short term problems with form, but in almost every position we're buying better players, and long term that bodes well. Im not clear why you think this policy shouldn't apply to our keeper.
David De Gea being compared to Fellaini, Darmian, Rojo and Lingard. What is this world coming to?

Well with the way that De Gea has played these last two years I am not sure we have 3-4 years to decide about whether Henderson has it to be our number one, personally I feel that this decision needs to be made quicker than that because the guy is costing us far too many points a season right now.
We do. The current team isn't as good as some people think and it isn't as shit as some people think either. The same goes with De Gea. He isn't alone. The team has been performing top 6 the last few years. And it shows. We're now slowly clawing our way back up again.

The hyperbole really needs to stop. We'd do well to challenge for top 3 next season unless we do a wonder and sign lots of good players.

And it doesn't have to be 4 years anyways. It could be 3. Or even 2. It really depends on how Henderson turns out and how De Gea performs and what the coaches and management thinks.

hmchan

The ultimatum was given long ago, when de Gea kept making mistakes at the end of last season. Many fans have made their mind up to replace him if there's another error from him after the Watford and Everton howlers, and now there're mistakes in the Tottenham (arguable one) and Chelsea (obvious one) game. However, you are still living at the stage of us watching the Watford and Everton game. People have already been extremely lenient, and the vote was still 70-80% in favor of him a week ago, but enough is enough.

The ideal solution is, of course, sell/loan de Gea and make Henderson no. 1, plain and simple. But I'm realistic and I understand that there's no club foolish enough to buy de Gea at this point, where he is obviously declining, repeating the mistakes over and over, and more importantly on a ridiculous contract. So the second best option is to start Henderson and leave de Gea as a backup. If Henderson can't handle the pressure, he will be rested for a few games, just like how Fergie treated de Gea.

Slik

With United, every penalty against us is a guaranteed goal. De gea never looks like he could save a penalty. He is probably penalty stopper I have ever seen. He always dives to his right and even when the ball is played to his right , his dive is so timid he never gets the ball. Players constantly hit the ball right through the middle and he has never thought for once to wait to see where the ball goes first. Maybe middle this time.

yan man utd

We are kidding ourselves.

A commanding keeper who reacts quickly to danger, who is imposing and comes and catches the ball before the situation becomes irretrievable and doesn’t stay on his line like a rabbit in headlights is what we need. De Gea was awesome for us but the more we have paid him the less urgency he seems to have in terms of attitude and speed to react to danger.

he just looks like he is going through the motions. It’s sad, but we have been patient - problem is it seems to affect our style of play because he is not exactly competent or proactive in terms of distribution. He does seem a bit timid and is hardly giving much security to the defence / team....

Jibbs

United board is just ridiculous since Sir Alex retired is an under statement. Awarding DeGea a declining keeper whose heart was definitely not at United was one of many howlers they have committed. When we already had keeper like Romero on the bench it was a safer bet to offload De Gea last year and play Henderson, had it not worked out we already had Romero as backup. But as visionary as our management is, we made an average at best keeper one of the most expensive players of EPL and shot ourselves on the foot.

Last edited:

DarkLord

What's with the hype over Dean Henderson? Is it because he's English? I've seen Sheffield and I don't he is all that great. Good goalkeeper but not exactly killing it. Sergio Romero is good enough to be our #1. He's been with the club for 5 years and saved our ass many times, in fact he was the main catalyst to our Europa League win in 2016/2017 season.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I've learned to never hype up any player before they ve shown themselves in a United shirt. Henderson looks superb yes - but given how many much more established players have come through our doors and weren't able to cope with the pressure - I'd rather Romero gets more opportunities. Just like Dave he has shown he can more than handle it. In some ways probably more so because it's not like he gets many opportunities to make you forget about a bad performance (and yet he hardly had any).

hmchan

No kidding, de Gea was our definite no. 1 when he joined us in 2011. He started 6 straight league games despite making a mistake in the Community Shield. He was dropped for a few games because of some mistakes but he reclaimed his spot soon. This actually proves 2 things: (1) it isn't necessary for a keeper to prove himself in cup games before playing in the league, and (2) a keeper has to be dropped at least for a few games when he is making errors.

Maybe you are a lenient person, but to most of us de Gea's credit had long been exhausted. His current body of work doesn't earn the no. 1 spot and his ridiculous contract, it's that simple. He should be the one that needs to prove himself in cup games and fight for the spot, not the one who significantly outperforms him in terms of both statistics and performances.

hmchan

Why not? We made AWB and Maguire first choice on account of their performances with Palace and Leicester. Isn’t that what clubs do all the time, especially where the player is playing in the same league?
Those are just excuses. I guarantee when Henderson is doing well in cup games next year, those de Gea fanboys will then say those are just simple cup games and they are irrelevant. When de Gea is making another series of mistakes next year, they will still say he deserves more chances because of the credits in the bank.

Kostov

Man for man we're improving. Ole has gotten rid of Lukaku, Sanchez, Smalling, Herrera, Fellaini, Young, Valencia, Darmien and Rojo and we expect Lingard, Mata and Jones to go this summer too. Its resulted in short term problems with form, but in almost every position we're buying better players, and long term that bodes well. Im not clear why you think this policy shouldn't apply to our keeper.
Because it's David De Gea pal, have you been in a coma for the last 10 years?