Dean Henderson | Nottingham Forest loan watch

OrcaFat

Don't see why people are still arguing about De Gea versus Henderson. That's over and De Gea won out, so the comparison isn't really relevant any more. He won't be displacing De Gea.

The question is what happens when De Gea leaves, hopefully this summer. Would you want to give Henderson another chance as #1? Or would you want to spend money to sign someone else? So the relevant comparison is Henderson versus all goalkeepers who could likely be available. Within the PL for example, how does he compare to the likes of Sanchez, Raya, Meslier, etc?

And that's assuming bridges haven't been burned between us and Henderson anyway, which may well be the case. Because if they have then it's just a question of how much we can sell him for.
I don’t think I choose him over any other Prem keeper. His personality isn’t suited to a team sport. We made a mistake paying him so much - I suppose we were hoping he would grow up and get better but neither have happened.

RedOrange

Don't see why people are still arguing about De Gea versus Henderson. That's over and De Gea won out, so the comparison isn't really relevant any more. He won't be displacing De Gea.

The question is what happens when De Gea leaves, hopefully this summer. Would you want to give Henderson another chance as #1? Or would you want to spend money to sign someone else? So the relevant comparison is Henderson versus all goalkeepers who could likely be available. Within the PL for example, how does he compare to the likes of Sanchez, Raya, Meslier, etc?

And that's assuming bridges haven't been burned between us and Henderson anyway, which may well be the case. Because if they have then it's just a question of how much we can sell him for.
If the transfer budget is limited next year I'd much rather go with a decent keeper who still facilitates the desired style of play if it means getting a proper ball progressing CM, for example.

I'm also not sure buying a keeper from the PL is the best value for money. Every PL club is loaded now and it takes a lot to pry good players out of anyone.

arnie_ni

This season? He’s been his awful self. Cost us one game already which is already basically unforgivable and then has done nothing in the other games. We have had to lose all control of possession because he’s incapable of even passing the ball. If you think these performances are acceptable then we are watching a different player.
Ironic talking about de geas passing when Henderson is worse

Drakul

Henderson will end up getting benched for Forest before the season is over. He is THAT bad. The fact that people here are defending him vociferously proves that they cannot be objective regarding the United academy. We keep talking about throwing this kid or the other in the deep end, giving them chances in the first team, etc., when they haven't done anything to deserve that in the first place. The fanbase is TOO sentimental.

Henderson has been an absolute disgrace. The interview was highly damaging. He is too full of himself without ever having done anything. People talking about De Gea being a coward when the United captain goes and hides behind his mum's knickers after every beating we received last season. He didn't do a single interview. De Gea stepped up and did a lot of those. He went so far as to create a fake story about receiving a bomb threat! And before you lot come at me, "how can you say there was no threat?" Was there an arrest afterward? Was it even followed up or conveniently buried because Maguire used his press pals to leak that fake story. Similar to the one he did this season when he leaked that Chelsea was interested in buying him as soon as he got benched.

De Gea is not what he used to be. But he is not the biggest problem in this team. We need at least 2 class CM's, an LB (Shaw needs booting out), another CB (Maguire needs booting out), an RB (Wan-Bissaka needs booting out), LW (Rashford needs booting out), and a striker. We need a GK too, an upgrade on De Gea (which Henderson is NOT). And no, we shouldn't be looking within the academy for this.

This is Manchester United, we're talking about here. We have a 600 mn turnover. We can afford to buy class players rather than look to shop in the bargain bin. And academy players should be kept far away unless they prove themselves on loan. You lot cannot be objective about them.

JB7

No they don't. And it's extremely funny to hear an advocate for Dean talk about positioning in goal.
Yes they do. It’s not a difficult save, it’s a classic “De Gea makes it look a difficult save by being slightly out of position & giving himself too much to do” save that he does about 10 times a season. It’s a fine save and I’m not criticising that but the reality is any goalkeeper playing full time football would be very disappointed by being beaten by a free kick a good yard in from the post.

As for the second part, I’ve told you multiple times how average I think Henderson is so it’s bizarre you can’t get it into your head that I don’t particularly rate him either.

Lyng

Yes they do. It’s not a difficult save, it’s a classic “De Gea makes it look a difficult save by being slightly out of position & giving himself too much to do” save that he does about 10 times a season. It’s a fine save and I’m not criticising that but the reality is any goalkeeper playing full time football would be very disappointed by being beaten by a free kick a good yard in from the post.

As for the second part, I’ve told you multiple times how average I think Henderson is so it’s bizarre you can’t get it into your head that I don’t particularly rate him either.
Yet you think he is much better than De Gea

Idxomer

He isn't very good at it, although probably slightly better than De Gea. Importantly though he does try to act as a sweeper which does help the defence maintain a higher line as there isn't as much space for an attacker to run into. Also one thing that can't be disputed is that he is good at distributing with his throws. Obviously that doesn't help from goal kicks or back passes, but when he gets in in his hands he instantly gets his head up and is looking everywhere to see if he can launch a counter-attack.
He was making around 20 passes per game in the 20/21 season with 67.4% accuracy, De Gea in that same season made 19 passes per game but with 75.4% accuracy.

I do agree that Henderson is a more proactive keeper than De Gea though he still has problems in corners due to his size, see for example our game against Sheffield United two years ago when his former manager targeted him on set-pieces.

Last edited:

Halftrack

Henderson's positioning is bad, his leap is borderline pathetic, he's not any better with his feet than De Gea and his kicking is abysmal. Yes, he's willing to come off his line for crosses and charge out to challenge, but his judgement on when to do either has often been suspect.

He would not allow us to play EtH's brand of football any more than DDG, because he too lacks the required toolset.

JB7

Yet you think he is much better than De Gea
There is a difference between “better” and “a better fit for”, but either way that says much more about my thoughts on De Gea than it does Henderson.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The irony of this coming from someone like you is hilarious :lol:
Quote them? I haven't said anything that makes out Henderson is anything more than average to decent. Just because I think De Gea is crap doesn't change that.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Positioning for 3rd goal is a pure comedy. For second goal he again looked too short. Diving for first goal was... :lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
what a tragedy that ten haag never got a chance to speak to the reincarnated lev yashin.

Last edited:

pascell

Where are all those heralding him earlier this summer and saying he should've had de Gea spot? They've certainly gone quiet.

He is and never was the answer to our problems, he's yet another highly overrated and overhyped English goalkeeper.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Where are all those heralding him earlier this summer and saying he should've had de Gea spot? They've certainly gone quiet.

He is and never was the answer to our problems, he's yet another highly overrated and overhyped English goalkeeper.
They are waiting for Dean to make one decent save

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
And shouting to defenders while he was doing it. He blames everybody after every goal
I’m biased because I always thought he was bang average (that Salah goal?!)…

… but, he’s just so unlikeable. Moans after leaving, bigs himself up (with zilch to back it up), has a ticker tape parade for saving Kanes penalty but lets loads in (I get he’s playing for Forest) and shouts at his defenders all the time despite being at fault for lots of them.

He‘s just a worse Pickford.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I’m biased because I always thought he was bang average (that Salah goal?!)…

… but, he’s just so unlikeable. Moans after leaving, bigs himself up (with zilch to back it up), has a ticker tape parade for saving Kanes penalty but lets loads in (I get he’s playing for Forest) and shouts at his defenders all the time despite being at fault for lots of them.

He‘s just a worse Pickford.
I am saying this for years now; Pickford is far better gk than him

PoTMS

Maybe he'll do a Ramsdale and get relegated then get signed by a top 6 club. Well hopefully anyway cos he's shite.