Dean Henderson warning to David De Gea - I came back to Manchester United to take your place

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Henderson said: “With Man United, David De Gea has obviously been a great goalkeeper first and foremost for many years. He's been phenomenal and that's something I aspire to be, to have a career like him at the club. So I'll be going back in first day of the pre-season working my socks off to get in that starting line-up because it's something I've always wanted.

“I'm so close now so I'm not going to give up. I'm going to put the pressure on. I respect David. He’s been a phenomenal servant for the football club and if not one of the best in the recent years. It's down to me. I know what challenges are going to be ahead. I’m well up for it.”

“You can get many things from training, and obviously learn off someone like David himself and the other goalkeepers, goalkeeper coaches. But I don't think there's any substitute for game-time, in my opinion. I went out from Man United five years ago, started at Stockport, Grimsby, Shrewsbury and then Sheffield which shows how much I've learned. Out on my own, picking up experiences that happen in games. They’re situations that you don't really get in training. I’m under no illusions that I'm going to improve just sat on the bench. I need that game-time.”

“I said at 23 I'll go back [to Manchester United] and that'll be my time. I remember [saying that] sitting in the interview room at Grimsby so I knew what I needed to do. I knew what I needed to tick off before I got there. I’ve done that and hope I can keep doing that and obviously get to where I want to be.”

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
A bit clickbatey that headline but I don't envision a friendly relationship between De Gea and Henderson next season.

But if it's the kick up the arse De Gea needs then good, we'll find out whether he's up for the fight or not

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
That’s the correct mentality and can only be a positive for the club. Either David responds and picks back up his form or Henderson outworks, outcompetes and ultimately puts him out the side fully.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Much needed. De Gea has to improve and hopefully this is the challenge that drives him

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
You know, I'm fully expecting De Gea to enter god mode again next year. He just seems like someone who needs to be driven on to perform at his best.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Not sure we should go back to a De Gea - Lindegaard state where every mistake De Gea makes the 2nd choice then comes in for him. Henderson also made a fair few bad mistakes last season he’s not some kind of instant upgrade. We need to have Dave in the league and Henderson in the cups or something.

Competition is healthy but if there’s one position it’s unhealthy it’s the GK position in my opinion. Unsettles the back four too when nobody knows who the number one is.

Leonzo1

Fantastic to hear! He seems to have a bit of arrogance in him Which is great. David has got some competition at last, may the best man win.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Unsurprisingly far less combative actual quotes but still a great attitude and this can only be a good thing.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
If this doesn’t light a fire under De Gea’s ass then nothing will. Good attitude from Henderson though.

edcunited1878

Henderson has a lot of improving and playing under the pressure for Manchester United. DDG needs to keep is focus much more and be more decisive in his actions. DDG still has top end positioning, reflex saves, and has a very good ability to make saves and bounce back after in-game errors that led to goals. His catching is still good, but it used to be a lot more assured.

Henderson hasn't had to play out from the back or keep the ball on the ground at United. He hasn't even played with fans at Old Trafford. So as much as I do like him and am glad he's going to get his fair shot in the coming year(s) to take over for DDG, he's got a lot of experience to gain from being at the club full time and playing in meaningful matches such as CL matches.

Okey

He's still a kid by goalkeeping standards. Just move on Romero and let them compete. Even if Dave keeps the No.1 spot, Hendo will get games. And if good enough, will be No. 1 in short order. Win win...

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Hopefully we have two good goalkeepers to keep things competitive and not one in decline and another needing years. It will be interesting to see how he does here with distribution, concentration, and coming back from a mistake. I feel De Gea loses confidence and another mistake follows straight after such is the pressure.

Dominos

I think we should send him on loan until it's time to sell De Gea. He's a young keeper and he's not going to improve sat on our bench and he'll lose a lot of transfer value if he goes a year without playing. If you're bringing him back it has to be as first choice.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I don’t think he’s going to be happy to sit and play 1/4 of our games next season but that’s what’s most likely going to happen. He’ll probably be publicly airing his discontent too. I like his shot stopping and he seems like a passionate lad but I think there’s more than a decent chance that he isn’t the one for us long term. We rarely get the succession right first time with these things but hopefully the answer was right under our noses the whole time.

diarm

He'll get his chance the next time De Gea has a howler. There will be too much noise for him not too and Ole won't be able to justify to the lad the reason for bringing him back if he's not giving him a game after Dave drops another clanger.

Once he gets that chance, it's up to the lad if he takes it or not. You'd hope he is studying the weaknesses in De Gea's game and targeting areas in which he can make an immediate and obvious impact.

I'd love to see him come in and be really vocal - offering a presence in the area and marshalling his defence from the back. It would be a breath of fresh air after years of watching what looks like the gap year kid hide meekly by the posts for 70 minutes before (until recently) pulling off a miracle save out of nowhere.

Amerifan

Henderson said: “With Man United, David De Gea has obviously been a great goalkeeper first and foremost for many years. He's been phenomenal and that's something I aspire to be, to have a career like him at the club. So I'll be going back in first day of the pre-season working my socks off to get in that starting line-up because it's something I've always wanted.

“I'm so close now so I'm not going to give up. I'm going to put the pressure on. I respect David. He’s been a phenomenal servant for the football club and if not one of the best in the recent years. It's down to me. I know what challenges are going to be ahead. I’m well up for it.”

“You can get many things from training, and obviously learn off someone like David himself and the other goalkeepers, goalkeeper coaches. But I don't think there's any substitute for game-time, in my opinion. I went out from Man United five years ago, started at Stockport, Grimsby, Shrewsbury and then Sheffield which shows how much I've learned. Out on my own, picking up experiences that happen in games. They’re situations that you don't really get in training. I’m under no illusions that I'm going to improve just sat on the bench. I need that game-time.”

“I said at 23 I'll go back [to Manchester United] and that'll be my time. I remember [saying that] sitting in the interview room at Grimsby so I knew what I needed to do. I knew what I needed to tick off before I got there. I’ve done that and hope I can keep doing that and obviously get to where I want to be.”
I like Dean even more now. Go get ‘em.

David, don’t take that from the kid. Go get ‘em.

In Rainbows

Some of us have been saying he has a captain's mentality.

Just look at this against Leeds' fans.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Even Henderson knows De Gea days are gone and he is going to take his place.

Cloud7

I like the attitude. He isn’t blind. Much like the rest of us, I’m sure he sees that Big Dave isn’t the God he once was, and Hendo has a real chance of staking his claim as our number one this coming season.

Even if he isn’t the one for the next decade, De Gea certainly doesn’t look like the one for even the next 2 years, so it will be interesting to see how this goes.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
He will be a fan favourite very quickly, if you let him. Remember he is a young player from your academy you have to back him all the way like you would with Greenwood/Rashford, you are blessed to be able to sign big names for huge money but you have a great chance of having some great academy products in your first team.

criticalanalysis

Love it :lol:

Like a few in here, I'm unsure of his overall ability but he has the potential and is saying/doing the right things. And like another poster mentioned above, I wouldn't be surprised if De God returns.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Like his attitude. I would be happy if he starts 15-20 games. Realistically, that's all you can expect?

The back 5 has to consistently play together .

RedCurry

I said this before but his personality as well as goalkeeping skills are very much reminiscent of Joe Hart.

AsonUnique

Rumors of Mourinho getting after De Gea and he played amazing. Now Deano staying, could be some great competition to light a fire under him. Win win in my mind. De Gea gets back to his best or Deano comes through and becomes our number 1 and then likely England's number 1.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He talks a lot this guy
Much better that he signs a long contract and talks like this than is a wuss that chooses the easy way out. He could’ve definitely been playing first team football next season somewhere, but clearly has aspirations here. Great to see.

el3mel

I expect Henderson to get the starting position as the season goes on especially if De Gea keeps on his current form, it will happen in no time.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Always good to have competition. However, he needs to perform when called upon

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Is he good with his feet?
No and I have also read that Sheffield fans believed he’s not ready for us because that aspect of his still weak. He’s long kick is good though. However DDG‘s short passes been improved recently imo so I think our goalkeeper coach and training can improve Dean’s ability in playing short passes.

Marcus

No and I have also read that Sheffield fans believed he’s not ready for us because that aspect of his still weak. He’s long kick is good though. However DDG‘s short passes been improved recently imo so I think our goalkeeper coach and training can improve Dean’s ability in playing short passes.
I wish our goalkeepers would train on that aspect. Also on long throws. I miss Big Pete launching one. If you were an attacker, you would just hate having to sprint back if the ball ends up in his hands. I think that impacts teams psychologically. In not being too offensive when attacking.