Decades Draft Tournament : Fergus' son vs antohan

Who will win with all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
However with this tactic you are left wide open at the back and the counter looks deadly.
Which is what I setup my team for all along, soak and hit on the break with several sources for the outball.

Differently from Nilton Santos though, my instruction wouldn't be "Just give it to Mané". It would be to go for Joya and Spencer's direct running if there's a clear through ball on, and relying on Garrincha when they need a breather and to reorganise themselves.

anto would really need to upgrade his defensive midfield IMO. He was lucky to meet an opponent who lacked an all time great number 10, if he was up against someone like a Platini he would have been in trouble!
Agree I need a more high profile midfield, although you are overlooking Desailly could play in a holding role and be replaced by Campbell in defence. I just didn't see the need to chuck Desailly out there in this game.

Moby

Dick
Yeah that is an option but then you need him to guard against a lot of forwards. I am not a huge fan of Hierro in defense, always liked him more as a DM.

antohan

Yeah that is an option but then you need him to guard against a lot of forwards. I am not a huge fan of Hierro in defense, always liked him more as a DM.
Really? I took those two on the basis I would move Desailly to midfield if there was a dangerous #10 to deal with and Hierro if that was not the case (this game being an obvious example).

Why don't you rate Hierro in defence? He won three Champions League titles playing there!

I was actually thinking about that 1-0 final where prime Del Piero was attacking on his side when I decided to keep him there and play Schweinsteiger in midfield.

Moby

Dick
What I meant was I like him at DM more than CB :lol: With his passing range and reading of the game he should be used in midfield where he can influence the game a lot more. He can drop into defense if needed. But yeah his flexibility would always be useful.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I don't speak Spanish, so no idea what these guys are saying, but I'm sure he deserves a bit more credit than what we have given him so far.
He certainly does, the problem is we haven't had anything to go off with which to rate him or give him credit. He's just a name on the line up at the moment and not much more than that to the majority of people.

Joya would have been the same but Anto's rectified that and explained the player.

Kaka/Netzer/Del Piero would have been fine IMO and with that midfield (the best in the draft) and that defence (top 2 or 3) Fergus would have been winning this I think.

He still can of course.

antohan

I have enough passers and game influencers, I've gone for the rock solid core three here as this is not a game to experiment on how highly rated Campbell is. I reckon he would be fine, but with Hierro having shut out Del Piero's Juve I preferred starting this way.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I know, I only pointed out Schuster had more workrate on him (which he did) but wasn't looking forward to him having more options to go for once Kaká entered the pitch. As it stands it has all fallen back squarely on Redondo, which isn't bad at all, but makes my job easier really.
It's sad that there are so few compilations about Netzer on the internet. There's one documentation about him in German, but it's mainly about his famous last game for Gladbach in which he subbed himself in at the start of extra time and then scored the winning goal with his second touch. If someone doesn't know the story:
http://www.4dfoot.com/2013/07/18/gunter-netzers-epic-farewell-subbing-himself-on-video/

The Gladbach team of 70/71 is still seen as the best team in the history of the league by many fans (by lots of Bayern fans as well). And probably everyone knows about the nationalteam in 72, after all, it all began with the Euro quarter final at Wembley. The team that went on to win the Euro is still called the "Wembley Elf" in Germany, because in that game against England a lot changed in German football and Netzer was at the heart of it all. He came second at the Ballon d'or that year (Beckenbauer won it).

antohan

He certainly does, the problem is we haven't had anything to go off with which to rate him or give him credit. He's just a name on the line up at the moment and not much more than that to the majority of people.

Joya would have been the same but Anto's rectified that and explained the player.
TBH, I doubt the average voter sees either as any more than a randomer.

Anyhow, I can give you time stamps to backup some of the stuff I mentioned earlier:

17:00 woefully overhit pass by Amancio to Gento
17:50 Joya run and shot blocked by the keeper
18:16 Amancio looking useless and losing the ball on the left
19:00 Joya tries a ridiculous shot from the right as there was no one to cross to
21:56 Joya retrieves the ball from deep in Peñarol's half and starts a move which finishes with a disallowed goal
33:40 Amancio completely bollocks up Real's best chance all game (excellent example of how Mazurkiewicz went for scooping the ball sideways and never risked a rebound, even if the shot was catchable)
36:30 Spencer goes on a run, much like Eusebio would, and Joya pivots for Peñarol to score their first goal

Bear in mind Joya was 32 and playing more like the old Giggs without pace but with a brain, while Amancio is at his peak here.

Kaka/Netzer/Del Piero would have been fine IMO
Fine? That's an understatement. I felt quite comfortable about this game until I thought about that. I really thought Fergus had gone for mindgames saying Kaká would be a sub. That's why I emphasised earlier how I disagreed with you on two counts (the other was you saying Kaká shouldn't start, although you meant ahead of Netzer I know).

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I wasn't saying Kaka shouldn't start mate, I agreed with Aldo who said that it was a mistake to drop Kaka - my response was "Agree on dropping Kaka", as in I agree with Aldo it was a mistake

Reading it back I can see how that wasn't clear, but no I absolutely would have played him!

antohan

I wasn't saying Kaka shouldn't start mate, I agreed with Aldo who said that it was a mistake to drop Kaka - my response was "Agree on dropping Kaka", as in I agree with Aldo it was a mistake

Reading it back I can see how that wasn't clear, but no I absolutely would have played him!
Oh, OK. That was the other part I disagreed on, I just didn't want to explore it :D

Do notice how I kept emphasising how keen I was on the counter. It was my gameplan to begin with but glad I started with a more even game and on the front foot, there was always time for sitting back and unleashing Joya-Spencer-Garrincha into acres of space. It's the ideal scenario against that defence!

antohan

That goalkeeping :lol:
It would have been the first goal and this was in Madrid so not surprised about the ref's outrageous decision.

What about the backheeled nutmeg to assist Spencer? Yes, I know it isn't clean and comes off the defender's leg but just the fact he did that instinctively in such a high stakes scenario. If anyone can't appreciate that they should stop watching football.

Back then if both teams won a game it went to a replay at the last ground so Peñarol were facing the prospect of playing in Madrid twice and the last time they had gone there they had shipped five goals (the season before Joya joined, not that he was a defender!).

The game is 0-0 and the occasion doesn't get to him at all. As opposed to Amancio's display ;)

antohan

The more I watch those old games the more disappointed I am Spencer didn't make it.

It would have been mauled on here, but had NM picked Spencer instead of Horst something he would have been the perfect target man for his crosses yesterday. He was never going to start him ahead of Henry (quite rightly on an internet poll-based game) but in real life it would have worked a treat.

antohan

Thanks Aldo, it was getting a bit dull out here so I picked out a Garrincha groopie and got a security guy to smuggle her into the changing rooms.

I've been doing quality control for him since and from what I gather nothing much happened while I was away. Sweet! :drool:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm just a fan of midfield control, and think Redondo and Matthaus would dominate the game. Both defence are about equal, with Anto's more superior in attack. Just a matter of preference.

antohan

I'm surprised Iso seeing as your drating indicates otherwise, but each to their own.

Moby

Dick
Just saw this somewhere. The most valuable autograph card in the history of the game probably! (signature of every member of the 58 World Cup winning team!)

antohan

Brilliant. Why did someone scrub off and rewrite his signature? How do you get your signature wrong? (Moacir?)

Love Garrincha's, he just didn't give a feck, did he? There are some cracking stories about him in the football's greatest videos.

Apparently he saw the Soviet team leaving the hotel and asked Djalma "who are these big chaps?". "The Russians, we beat them yesterday so they are going home". "What about the second leg?".

He would show up in the changing room before a game, start getting his kit on and ask casually "Who are we playing?". "Vasco" (a derby). "Oh, OK". :lol:

antohan

I'm disappointed with the inactivity in the thread :(

Spent all day checking and it's been very slow-mo, steadily keeping that 5 vote margin. It's odds on to get closer in the morning while I sleep :annoyed:

Not looking forward to waking up just before it closes :nervous:

Moby

Dick
Can't see much happening for a few hours. It is late night in the UK. There might be a few votes in the last 3-4 hours though.

antohan

Yes, I know, but expected some activity around the England game or late in the evening. Seems it's all down to tomorrow morning so will probably wake up at some ridiculous hour to keep tabs on that.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm surprised Iso seeing as your drating indicates otherwise, but each to their own.
Indicating otherwise? Previous draft, I had Redondo-Albertini-Ribery-Boban-Valeron. This one I have Iniesta-Coluna-Makelele-Maradona-Baggio. All showing midfield control.

antohan

True. I had got stuck on the early more attacking picks (Maradona-Iniesta-Baggio) and didn't notice you had picked Coluna and Makelele.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Seems like you're gonna win this anyway. I don't think my vote will be significant.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Went for Fergus in the end. Anto's argued his case brilliantly as ever but its personal preference really. Fergus has a very solid looking defence and notably better centre midfield. Now that Kaka is on the pitch i think he has the penetration to go with the solidity, and i think could nick this 2-1

Thisistheone

7 votes in it. Feel Fergus has been too quiet to win this. Maybe if he had a chance to post more it'd be different. Anto 47 posts, Fergus 7.

antohan

7 votes in it. Feel Fergus has been too quiet to win this. Maybe if he had a chance to post more it'd be different. Anto 47 posts, Fergus 7.
There's an upside to him not being around... I would probably be on 300 posts ;)

I did expect this game to be close but not the way it has been set up. I really don't think he could win this. I see the beauty of the back four he has drafted and, as I said earlier, it was midfields like his which prompted me to go for Carlos Alberto and Junior when the correct path in terms of decade future-proofing was Zannetti-Marzolini (one to stay, the other to allow for Facchetti). I can't see the goals other than Matthaus getting a rocket in.

On the subject of Matthaus, I've always rated him but some on here have gone on about him as if he were the second coming of Jesus Christ. Not that I wouldn't quite like to test what he and Schuster could have done together, if only in draft fantasy land.

antohan

Sorry guys, can't contribute much til later on.
This was yesterday 16:25, then he came back to do the Netzer sub and was never seen again. Hope all is OK, it has stopped me posting some antohan piss-take specials :D

I probably will anyway, can't help it.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Voted antohan, balanced team with a clear gameplan and probably has too much upfront for Fergus

It hasn't helped that Fergus isnt here to argue his case, tried to wait for him to come online but he's obviously busy and can't. When the teams were drafted I thought Fergus had the best team out of everyone and he was definitely the one I was hoping to avoid. When the team is on paper though I do think it lacks a bit in attack, and it looks like that is what has won Anto the game.

antohan

As we enter the last few minutes Sol Campbell comes onto the pitch. Aldo, don't bother do the update, it looks hideous and some may think I actually played it this way :rolleyes:

Garrincha has bagged a brace, which gave me the problem of engaging in further quality control activities. I found a beautiful pair of twins for him but they look underage to me so went with adding this more fiery one to the earlier blonde. Mané is already fully engaged in his celebrations.

The security guy tells me the two chaps weren't happy at all about this, but he let them know Amancio will be looking for some consolation after the game. Poor fella, what a day this has been for him :(

antohan

When the team is on paper though I do think it lacks a bit in attack, and it looks like that is what has won Anto the game.
And the second half performance. I sense Fergus lost the dressing room at half-time explaining to them what a rainbow music icon was doing on the pitch ahead of Kaká and then Netzer. Redondo even came around before the restart to congratulate me on not having a short hair policy. Zanetti, forever the pro, wouldn't say a word but I could see he was longing for Team Antohan's ship, the one he jumped to when eliminated in the All-Time draft.

Even Eto'o came up to me. Not sure if he had something in his eye but he kept winking and telling me he wouldn't score.

I told him I already knew that.

Hats off to Matthaus, he is still going at it like a man possessed out there.

I know Theon, bullshit and all that. You know I always do this dressing room shit though, why would it be any different here?

antohan

Fergus needs to show people what Lothar is capable of, IMO if anyone can win the game for him it is him. He is in his comfort zone, he doesn't have an all time great midfielder to stick to
Aldo, while I do get the difference between Football Greats and Great Players, some of it has been lost in translation.

Maybe you said it in French, but at the final whistle Schuster was interviewed and asked to comment on this.

He is quite an articulate man Bernd. I thought he would explore how keen he was to meet you next to put that right, etc. but no, complete silence, just this:

Thisistheone

A good win anto. When the draw was made I thought you might be heading home early. Clearly not the case though and once reinforcements are made, you'll be the team (manager) to avoid.

antohan

I don't really see much in the horizon in terms of reinforcements to be honest. Will have to wait and see what happens in the other games but from the eliminated teams so far the idea of getting Schuster and Matthaus together is the only one that sounds like an interesting experiment, but I doubt Theon would ever let me do that if he picks first!

I'm almost inclined to keep going with the originally drafted team and see where that takes me...

Nah, I'll probably find someone too tempting :keano:

Come on Stob, drop a bollock and give me Pelé! :D

The decades rule is shite for reinforcements though, I want him behind Eusebio, not instead :annoyed: