Defending with your body on the line

MileStolar

I just came across this video of Steve Cook putting his body on the line heroics, and I haven't seen such things since Nemanja Vidic and maybe Phil Jones head tackles, so I thought I may make a thread about it, and see if people can contribute with stories and videos. If there's already a similar thread then I apologise and maybe the mods can move the post over there.

It's a rare sight nowadays, and I sure do miss our defenders being brave beyond consideration for their own wellbeing.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
One that immediately comes to mind is Terry vs Slovenia at the World Cup. Didn't block it but the intent was there.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That was one of the greatest bits of defending I have ever seen.

Was watching that game and I think I celebrated that defending like a goal!
Always think as a defender you've done well when your GK oats you on the head, Travers was straight up to Cook after that.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I always cringe when seeing players turning their backs at shots or almost jumping away from them.

Protect your balls and stand still ffs.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Brave from Terry, do you know any active player that has such bravery?
Not really, it's certainly not something I've seen in a while. I'd imagine it might be more frequent in the lower leagues, but, that might just be me stereotyping the lower leagues to be honest.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Sven Bender was such a player, always trying to get to every ball with no regard for his own well-being. He collected a lot of facial injuries in his career.

Over the space of 12 months in 2011 and 2012, Bender picked up four different facial injuries – including a fractured jaw - but more often than not he was patched up quickly and sent back into battle.
In November 2013 while filling in at centre back, he famously played on during a UEFA Champions League win over Napoli after breaking his nose. Blood flowed regularly and Bender had to change shirt a few times, but the Germany international refused to quit,
https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/...sven-bender-plays-with-broken-nose-455766.jsp

MileStolar

Sven Bender was such a player, always trying to get to every ball with no regard for his own well-being. He collected a lot of facial injuries in his career.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/...sven-bender-plays-with-broken-nose-455766.jsp
Ah I remember us wanting him back in err.. well I can't recall but I remember him playing for Dortmund and that he had a brother too right? I know we wanted one of them back in the day, it was probably to replace Scholes, or Carrick later on. I thought he would've made better career than he did.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I just came across this video of Steve Cook putting his body on the line heroics, and I haven't seen such things since Nemanja Vidic and maybe Phil Jones head tackles, so I thought I may make a thread about it, and see if people can contribute with stories and videos. If there's already a similar thread then I apologise and maybe the mods can move the post over there.

It's a rare sight nowadays, and I sure do miss our defenders being brave beyond consideration for their own wellbeing.
Why? You don't care about their wellbeing?

Oranges038

First one I thought of was Terry diving with his head.

Steven Taylor's heroic block, some quality acting.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Ah I remember us wanting him back in err.. well I can't recall but I remember him playing for Dortmund and that he had a brother too right? I know we wanted one of them back in the day, it was probably to replace Scholes, or Carrick later on. I thought he would've made better career than he did.
Both Bender twins were quite promising CMs in their earlier careers, who got marred by persistent injuries. Depending on the time it could have been either brother you would have liked at United. Sven wasn't good enough on the ball to keep up with the developments of modern football and had to transition to CB and his brother Lars plateaued as pretty good Bundesliga CM or makeshift RB.

greendevil

Two Everton lads last night with two great blocks, Coleman and Godfrey I think...

Corey

One that immediately comes to mind is Terry vs Slovenia at the World Cup. Didn't block it but the intent was there.

Funny how Mark Lawrenson confidently says “not offside” when the freeze frame clearly shows the attacker is offside .

Just goes to show how much more accurate we are with VAR and how liberally we used to apply the idea of being “level” .

Red_toad

First one I thought of was Terry diving with his head.

Steven Taylor's heroic block, some quality acting.

Way he took a bullet to the ribs and not allowing it to stop him from handling the ball away, deserved a medal!