Defensive Diving

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
You know, where the defender is under a bit of pressure and throws himself down knowing the ref will bail him out. Annoying as feck, isn't it?

Here's an example from last night...

Why the feck are refs so receptive to it? It's basically a get out of jail free card and kills the pressing momentum of a team. Fecking hate it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's the sort of thing you'd get laughed off the pitch for doing down the Sunday league.
Needs stamping out. But then it needs stamping out for all players not just defenders. See Salah's pathetic dive for their pen the other week. Even Souness called it.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
You know, where the defender is under a bit of pressure and throws himself down knowing the ref will bail him out. Annoying as feck, isn't it?

Here's an example from last night...

Why the feck are refs so receptive to it? It's basically a get out of jail free card and kills the pressing momentum of a team. Fecking hate it.
I thought this was going to be the standard shield the ball and flop as soon as the forward breathes on you but it’s actually magnificent. :lol:

Dominos

Generally they give the free kick because if they misjudge it as a dive then the ref has just gifted the attacking team a potential goal. Nowadays you could say VAR has the ability to overturn a goal if it was a foul so the ref should stop falling for it, but we've seen many times that unless it's an absolute howler of a decision then they won't overturn it.

Maguire had one against Everton that he didn't get away with and the ref waved it on. Every other team would get a free kick there 99 times out of 100 in that scenario, and much like how opposition teams have a free reign to foul De Gea on set pieces, the ref wants to be billy big bollocks and make a "brave" decision of not giving the standard free kick.

Manoucha09

Generally they give the free kick because if they misjudge it as a dive then the ref has just gifted the attacking team a potential goal. Nowadays you could say VAR has the ability to overturn a goal if it was a foul so the ref should stop falling for it, but we've seen many times that unless it's an absolute howler of a decision then they won't overturn it.

Maguire had one against Everton that he didn't get away with and the ref waved it on. Every other team would get a free kick there 99 times out of 100 in that scenario, and much like how opposition teams have a free reign to foul De Gea on set pieces, the ref wants to be billy big bollocks and make a "brave" decision of not giving the standard free kick.
Maguire's one wasn't a dive, there was definitely enough contact to warrant a foul. Made that decision even worse.

Like you say, with VAR refs should give the striker the benefit of the doubt and check back after as they would with offsides.

I also think they should start punishing diving anywhere on the pitch using VAR. It feels as though refs don't take diving as a serious offence anymore. I don't remember any player being given a yellow for diving when a penalty has been overturned using VAR.

Flanders Devil

Question regarding your point and this example. If the ref adjudged that Pavard did dive and gives him a yellow, is it a penalty?

MalcolmTucker

It winds me up when our attackers are so naïve that they give the defender a chance to do this. Normally towards the corner flag when the defender is in an awkward spot then all the pressure is relieved because our attacker bumps into them when they had no chance of getting the ball.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
For some reason I read the thread title as 'Defensive Driving' :lol:

Red00012

I was thinking this was a thread on Maguire not getting a free kick :lol:

The state of Pavard

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It winds me up when our attackers are so naïve that they give the defender a chance to do this. Normally towards the corner flag when the defender is in an awkward spot then all the pressure is relieved because our attacker bumps into them when they had no chance of getting the ball.
This annoys me too.

Brightonian

Maguire's done it a bit recently, having never done so before that I've seen. Having been raised on 'play to the whistle', and also the principle that as a defender come hell or high water you don't let your player go, it's maddening to watch a professional do it.

RooneyLegend

Refs can't make the right decisions with video evidence, what chance have they got in real time.

Withnail

Defenders do get away with the most shocking dives :lol:

It's like the refs haven't copped on that it's a thing yet. Vidic did a great one years ago when he felt a touch on his back and salmon flipped his way to a free out.

Red_toad

It's the sort of thing you'd get laughed off the pitch for doing down the Sunday league.
Needs stamping out. But then it needs stamping out for all players not just defenders. See Salah's pathetic dive for their pen the other week. Even Souness called it.
What is good for the attackers is also good for the defenders. Diving and initiating contact is rife in football now, so learn to live with it.

Oranges038

Gary Neville was excellent at this.

Gignac, forgot that's where he ended up.

criticalanalysis

Ah yes, the Hazard special. Shift your body back, wait for the contact and crumple on your face like you just got whacked by the Los Zetas.
The first person I thought of when I read the thread title was Bruno.

He's absolutely amazing at selling touch fouls. Cnuty but momentum changing stuff for us at times because he gets the opposition to stop their pressing and let's us reset.

Hoof the ball

The first person I thought of when I read the thread title was Bruno.

He's absolutely amazing at selling touch fouls. Cnuty but momentum changing stuff for us at times because he gets the opposition to stop their pressing and let's us reset.
The universal constant is the truth that cnutiness is undesirable in any form unless it is your own team benefitting from the same, and to that there can never be enough of it. :lol:

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Vidic against Lille.

Worked a charm.

Giggs scored from a quickly taken free kick.

Lille were outraged and walked off the pitch!

ManUnitedCanuck

Keepers get this treatment as well. They can raise their arms but if someone comes within a yard it’s typically a foul.

I know there is the recent De Gea incident but most often keepers get the benefit of the doubt for no reason. They have such an advantage to challenge with their arms/hands yet get a whistle if anyone is near them. Outfield players cannot challenge a keeper for some reason, although the keeper has such an advantage at winning the ball.

Sylar

Yep especially when we are putting on good pressure. You know refs fall for it so don't touch or push or kick the defender

criticalanalysis

Keepers get this treatment as well. They can raise their arms but if someone comes within a yard it’s typically a foul.

I know there is the recent De Gea incident but most often keepers get the benefit of the doubt for no reason. They have such an advantage to challenge with their arms/hands yet get a whistle if anyone is near them. Outfield players cannot challenge a keeper for some reason, although the keeper has such an advantage at winning the ball.
The problem with our De Gea is that he doesn't even actually make a challenge to ever be able to sell a foul :mad:

That's why it's never called on him. He's not making a visible effort and therefore when a challenge is made, there's no visible obstruction.

izec

Maguire again today, almost resulting in a goal.
That gets called 99% of the time in the CL/EL and any other league. Compred to Pavard, i dont think it is a dive. A bit soft, but there was still enough contact to give a foul. In the PL, you sometimes get it and sometimes dont and then you are in trouble if the ref thinks it is nothing.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That gets called 99% of the time in the CL/EL and any other league. Compred to Pavard, i dont think it is a dive. A bit soft, but there was still enough contact to give a foul. In the PL, you sometimes get it and sometimes dont and then you are in trouble if the ref thinks it is nothing.
That would definitely have been ruled out if their donkey had put the ball in. He got bloody lucky with the full hand in Lindelof's face too.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's a big relief though, when you're under pressure protecting a narrow lead late in a game and your cunning full back pulls one of these off :lol: