Denmark 92 or Greece 04

ROFLUTION

Seems to be a thing of the mid 80s. I think most people would be surprised that in Brazil, despite having 5 World Cup winning squads, many people consider the 86 squad the best Brazilian team of all time.
Well Denmark's high regard of the 80's team is not down to nostalgia. It was simply because there was more entertainment in the way Denmark played. They got a lot of followers from other countries, like Netherlands had gotten due to great skills and flair. And gained big results against back then a football super power Soviet Union (Denmark won 5-2 in a highly entertaining match where M. Laudrup entered the World satage) Anyone who followed Denmark in the 90s would know that after Ricard Møller Nielsen was appointed we would witness some very boring tactics.

Actually Alex Ferguson said Denmark was the best european team back then before the mexico World Cup. And Pelé also spoke highly of them.

Last edited:

Le Red

Well Denmark's high regard of the 80's team is not down to nostalgia. It was simply because there was more entertainment in the way Denmark played. They got a lot of followers from other countries, like Netherlands had gotten due to great skills and flair. And gained big results against back then a football super power Soviet Union (Denmark won 5-2 in a highly entertaining match where M. Laudrup entered the World satage) Anyone who followed Denmark in the 90s would know that after Ricard Møller Nielsen was appointed we would witness some very boring tactics.
Sure, I wasn't meaning it was down to nostalgia. From what I hear, a lot of national teams really made a mark in that time for talented and entertaining football.

led_scholes

Ironic thing is Portugal pretty much adopted the template for their euro 2016 win but little is said because they had well known players in all areas.

Their defence was a total brickwall in the games v Croatia, Wales and France and of course with Ronaldo upfront he could also score from a cross like Charisteas did a few times in 2004.

Greece very nearly went out in the group stages, did the hard work of getting 4 points off Spain-Portugal but then messed up their last game and lost 3-1 to already out Russia. If Spain and Portugal had just played out a draw Greece would've been out.
Portugal couldn't draw the game vs Spain, as it would mean elimination. They had 3 points till then (vs Russia) and a draw would bring them in the same points with Greece.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Portugal couldn't draw the game vs Spain, as it would mean elimination. They had 3 points till then (vs Russia) and a draw would bring them in the same points with Greece.
Ah was it head to head? Thought it was GD as Portugal had + 1 compared to Greece -1.

led_scholes

Ah was it head to head? Thought it was GD as Portugal had + 1 compared to Greece -1.
Yeap, first was head to head (so Greece goes through), then the GD, then who score the most goals and then 3 or 4 other different rules to determine who qualifies. Funny as it sounds, Greece went through because she scored more goals than Spain -the head to head was 1-1, and the GD was 0 for both. The only way Greece could be eliminated was, if she had lost with >1.5 goals from Russia.

Shamana

Since I'm Danish, I will go with Denmark. We didn't even qualify and lacked Michael Laudrup who is our best ever player and one the best playmakers of all time. Beat all the big teams on the way.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Greece the bigger shock, Denmark the more impressive team. Mostly because they could both defend under the cosh and go toe-to-toe in a more open game, as they did against Holland for example.

RoyH1

Greece was a bigger shock for me. Despite their luck in getting there, Denmark had a couple of world class players and had been an impressive team through the 80’s.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Hi hated the way Greece won that tournament. The most repulsive football I have ever seen. Mass defending trying to score only from a free kick or a jammy corner or some form of counter attack always trying to steal a win. Other teams hitting cross bars and missing there best players through injury.
Which is also one of the reasons I don't like Ole as manager, seems to have the same aproach against teams considered better than us. makes us look small time.

SportingCP96

Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Can we close this thread? Feck Greece and feck 04:lol::nono:

That tournament and that final were my first exposure and memories to football.