Di Marzio: United looking for a new striker

Hulksmash

Great another Panic buy.

We have Greenwood and Martial for strikers, why the Hell would we need a Striker?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Cavani would be a good little back up signing, we'd have some depth all of a sudden and Martial could learn a lot from him.

DevilRed

Jovic on loan would be interesting.

Cavani on the cheap would be great too. We need a big strapping cnut upfront. Haven't had one since Zlatan.

Loon

:lol:
I think buying a striker is a good idea. Waiting until the just before the window shuts isn't.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Jovic would be completely pointless because if he bags then Madrid will just want him back next year. Isn’t that the exact problem we have with the Regulion deal? At least with that we’d have got a couple of years out of him .

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Great another Panic buy.

We have Greenwood and Martial for strikers, why the Hell would we need a Striker?
It's really not though, is it? We've been linked with a striker for ages. Our current striking options are Martial and Ighalo. Greenwood's our RW, he's played there almost exclusively since he broke through, he might end up striker eventually but he isn't considered as an option there as it stands.

Shark

@NotShark
Over Ighalo? every single day of the week. Cavani would give us something totally different to Martial, who we could start deploying down the left again in some games that seem fit.

djdhrubs

Like said in another thread....Telles' crosses for Martial, Rashford or Greenwood would be a bit worthless.

But Telles' crosses for Cavani would mean many goals.
Would have been nice if we'd backed Jose for buying Perisic, as Perisic crosses for Lukaku would also have meant many goals.This is slightly different, as we don't have either of Telles or Cavani yet!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What happened to Jovic at Madrid? I really rated that kid under Adi Hutter at Frankfurt and he looked a fantastic forward for a team who wanted to transition play quickly.

kirk buttercup

Either would be good options. The only problem I have with it is it looks like we are getting to the end if a transfer window and Panicking again . Surely there is a plan or strategy to get players in not just Random Enquiries

Craig Ward

Cant see it happening really, think this is just the press talking BS as usual.

The plan has always been to recruit on the RW area and use Greenwood as a Martial backup/rotation.

For what it's worth, Cavani would be a rotten signing i'd have expected under Jose's time here. He will command huge wages and wouldnt be happy being back up only. No resale value for the club either, which we all know Ed and Co love.

Jovic I didn't see much of when he played in Germany and I don't think anyone has seen much of him since. No clue what type of striker he is tbh. I heard Haller was the higher rated of the two by people who watch Bundesliga regularly, and he's stunk the place out at West Ham so i'm dubious. He could be great, he could be horrendous - but i think our need for a RW, LB and CB would mean we arent genuinely interested in an out an out striker this window.

Only way i see us getting a striker of sorts is someone like J.King - someone who can play multiple positions across the front three

Red_toad

What happened to Jovic at Madrid? I really rated that kid under Adi Hutter at Frankfurt and he looked a fantastic forward for a team who wanted to transition play quickly.
He‘s not Benzema. No idea why they signed him, they didn’t need him and he’s not a good fit in their style of play. He’d possibly do very well in the premier league if he recovers his form.

red4ever 79

I think buying a striker is a good idea. Waiting until the just before the window shuts isn't.
Exactly this. The planning of our football club is shite beyond belief. Didnt we get Ighalo at like midnight or something and he was 3rd choice.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Great another Panic buy.

Because maybe we aren't getting Sancho so Greenwood will not be the striker and Igholo obviously isn't trusted and likely gone in January.

Chairman Steve

The way how Utd operates as business first, football club second... I swear going for any prospective players in the last week of a window isnt panic buying, but basically penny pinching to save on the weekly wage bill.

The_Midfielder

Would have been nice if we'd backed Jose for buying Perisic, as Perisic crosses for Lukaku would also have meant many goals.This is slightly different, as we don't have either of Telles or Cavani yet!
And sell Martial

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
And sell Martial
Why the feck would you wanna sell Martial? He’s a couple years off being world class.

Out of the two options I’d go Jovic though. If he’s great we can look to buy, if he’s shit can send him back. He has potential.

djdhrubs

And sell Martial
Don't get me wrong, I don't wanna start a thread about Jose, who wasn't perfect and I like Martial. But quality crosses into a competent target man providing 10-15 goals per season is how I saw that attempt to buy Perisic back then. Bit of a no brainer, easy source of goals. I'm all for a striker of that ilk as an alternative way of finding goals to what we have already.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Edison Cavani is the polar opposite of everything Ole has been trying to change at the club. So I'm calling BS.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Finally Di Marzio is joining the muppet show... Jović with option to buy could be right in Ole's alley.

Decade younger than Cavani and lots of unused potential for unlocking.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Probably BS like sports witness said. All the "talk" is for RW or LB, nothing else. We probably won't get those, but if anything we'll get one of those.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Like said in another thread....Telles' crosses for Martial, Rashford or Greenwood would be a bit worthless.

But Telles' crosses for Cavani would mean many goals.
I've been banging this drum for sometime.
Plus,I'm also of the opinion that Martial needs a strike partner.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Edison Cavani is the polar opposite of everything Ole has been trying to change at the club. So I'm calling BS.
Hmm. We literally bought an ageing striker on a short-term deal out of desperation at the end of the last window.

TsuWave

Jovic on loan would be a good move. Guy was deadly at one point. Add an option to buy in case we can help him rediscover himself.

Tiber

We certainly need one. Ighalo has never been good enough and is leaving at Christmas. Will we get one? Depends if anyone are available at rock bottom prices or will accept a 30% discount on market value.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Either will be decent options

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Hmm. We literally bought an ageing striker on a short-term deal out of desperation at the end of the last window.
We loaned him. And with his wages being partly covered by the Chinese club.

God only knows what Cavani and his agent will want as a free agent. No thanks.

Chief123

Cavani on a free transfer would be a great backup signing. Miles better than Ighalo.

But we will sign Josh King.

We are genuinely screwed if we don’t get a striker in. Ighalo is gone in Jan.