Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I have the game still, maybe i'll install it again someday soon.
Great game, unlike D3 that really couldn't ever live up to it's predecessor.

Ibi Dreams

One of my favourite games as a kid. Sadly I've not got the discs/keys anymore but if this takes off on here I might get involved

Also you can buy cheaper CD keys from other sites and they do work, not sure how but it's probably what I'd do

Trizy

Just came across this game on piratebay, I've never played it which I feel bad about considering the reputation it had. Downloading it now, what's single player like? Doubt it'll have a working online CD Key with it.

Trizy

Well pay for it and stop being a thief then.

(Single player is awesome btw).
I have done now, I use torrents as a demo ;). I've just done two quests, seems good but to be honest. I played a similar but much better game years ago, mind I never saw it advertised and no one else I knew had played or heard of it. Nox on PC if you're interested, 8.9 rating on IGN. I only redownloaded it about a year ago and finished it, still an awesome game!

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I have done now, I use torrents as a demo ;). I've just done two quests, seems good but to be honest. I played a similar but much better game years ago, mind I never saw it advertised and no one else I knew had played or heard of it. Nox on PC if you're interested, 8.9 rating on IGN. I only redownloaded it about a year ago and finished it, still an awesome game!
Ah Nox, I do actually own it but have barely played it, when I get a chance I'll check it out, cheers mate.

Trizy

Ah Nox, I do actually own it but have barely played it, when I get a chance I'll check it out, cheers mate.
Ever get around to playing it? Just finished Diablo 2 and the expansion, was fun enough but very 1 dimensional. Must say I much preferred Nox. Amazing after 4 years of Diablo 2's release they came up with World of Warcraft, it seems light years ahead if it.

Trizy

For 20bucks it'll be worth it, although you're kinda like 10 years too late for that.
:lol: Ya, I was happy out just playing single player for a finish. The boss fights are a bit disappointing, can't imagine that getting any better online or is there new content?

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Ever get around to playing it? Just finished Diablo 2 and the expansion, was fun enough but very 1 dimensional. Must say I much preferred Nox. Amazing after 4 years of Diablo 2's release they came up with World of Warcraft, it seems light years ahead if it.
It is one-dimensional - that's the point! :) Also, if you want to compare to to WoW (which is fairly hard), compare it to the very first version of WoW. Apart from a big world and the two games being of different genres, they're not that different really. First release of WoW certainly didn't seem "light years ahead" to me, it just had a lot more stuff to do due to it's size.

Trizy

It is one-dimensional - that's the point! :) Also, if you want to compare to to WoW (which is fairly hard), compare it to the very first version of WoW. Apart from a big world and the two games being of different genres, they're not that different really. First release of WoW certainly didn't seem "light years ahead" to me, it just had a lot more stuff to do due to it's size.

I only played WoW from TBC onward, I've no idea what the original was like before patches and that but there is a lot of similarities between the two games, its clear to see that WoW originated from Diablo 2 but the differences is immense for a 4 year gap.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
I only played WoW from TBC onward, I've no idea what the original was like before patches and that but there is a lot of similarities between the two games, its clear to see that WoW originated from Diablo 2 but the differences is immense for a 4 year gap.
It really isn't though, apart from the amount of content. WoW didn't (and doesn't) have as deep talent trees as Diablo does, it doesn't have the cool skills and spells Diablo does (barb-jump, the massive sorceress spells etc.), to make a few examples. Yes, there's a lot of similarities in that you fight monsters and collect items, but ultimately one is an action RPG and the other is an MMORPG - it's two very different games that offers different things.

I'm not denying that WoW was a better game with more to offer, but four years is a long time in the computer world and I imagine they put a lot more money and manpower into WoW so that's to be expected. I just think you're overstating the difference because of the amount of content, and probably also because you didn't play WoW at release. Boss fights in early WoW was in general similar to those in Diablo - tank the big guy and hit him while avoiding AOE stuff. The cooler fights where you needed to do lots of different stuff only really came in in AQ (last raid released before TBC expansion).

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You can't compare wow to diablo, remember that diablo is only 1gb game, and back then at the late 90s where morpg isnt the norm. They're the best thing, diablo-cs-starcraft-aoe, oh them good ol days at the net cafe

Trizy

You can't compare wow to diablo, remember that diablo is only 1gb game, and back then at the late 90s where morpg isnt the norm. They're the best thing, diablo-cs-starcraft-aoe, oh them good ol days at the net cafe
I don't think people are getting me, I'm not comparing them. What I'm trying to say is the the progress in the 4 years is immense, Diablo is a new Ford Focus and 4 years later Ford release the Bugatti Veron. (Of course Ford don't make the Bugatti)

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don't think people are getting me, I'm not comparing them. What I'm trying to say is the the progress in the 4 years is immense, Diablo is a new Ford Focus and 4 years later Ford release the Bugatti Veron. (Of course Ford don't make the Bugatti)
Ah, yes. I believe the invention of internet and a more reliable and affordable high speed internet also plays its part

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
@Trizy can you tell which parts of vanilla WoW that were "light years ahead" of Diablo 2? You keep saying it as if it's a fact without trying to argue your case.

Trizy

@Trizy can you tell which parts of vanilla WoW that were "light years ahead" of Diablo 2? You keep saying it as if it's a fact without trying to argue your case.
The graphics, the game play, the content. I wasn't talking about boss fights or anything that you keep bringing up.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
The graphics, the game play, the content. I wasn't talking about boss fights or anything that you keep bringing up.
By mentioning it once?

As I said, more content is to be expected given the fact that WoW was is an MMO.
The graphics; meh. Neither game had particularly great (or even good) graphics, but it did the job in both games. Yeah, the graphics in wow are obviously better, but it's not a vital factor in any of the games and other games on the market had a lot better graphics.
As for the gameplay; depends on what you look for. As I mentioned, the skills and spells in Diablo 2 are certainly a lot cooler and more developed, but obviously the multiplayer part in wow is better (seeing as it's an MMO) and the fact that there was more stuff to do (more content) helped the gameplay.

Like I said, I don't disagree at all that wow is technically a better game. I preferred it as well and put god knows how many hours into it. But when you factor in the time between the release of the two games, the money and manpower put into wow compared to Diablo 2 and the games being of different genres, I just don't think it's reasonable to say that wow is "light years ahead".

I don't know if you're trying to say that wow was a technical masterpiece or if Diablo 2 was technically sub-par - and it really doesn't matter, because neither is true. Neither games really pushed any limits technically speaking, but they both did a damn good job at what they did. They were developed with a clear goal in mind, and they both succeeded in getting a massive fanbase. Diablo 2 was a brilliant action RPG when it came out and WoW was a brilliant MMORPG.

Was EverQuest and Star Wars Galaxies light years ahead of Diablo 2 as well? Are new action RPGs behind wow? It's different genres, so it's a pointless comparison.

Castia

Given how the WC3 remaster went, I would just stick with the original.

Blizzard is a shell of their former self nowadays.
I think the team who remade the latest Tony Hawk game are behind this remaster it should be legit.

Blizzard get a lot of shit and the wc3 remaster was a disaster but they’re still a top company for me I enjoy almost everything they release. Can’t wait for Overwatch 2 and the new Diablo stuff (2 remaster and 4)

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
The GOAT returns...so excited to get back into this.

Also just watched the IV trailer - that is some beautiful artwork.