Did something happen within the spurs dressing room?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
This summer? Back in late August, Pocchetino said:

"I cannot find excuses because the transfer window is open. It doesn't justify that performance today or the result. But we have an unsettled group for different reasons and different personal circumstances."

And a month later:

"When you have an unsettled squad always it's difficult and you lose time, then you need time to recover the time you lose. That's where we are. Maybe our performances are good but you need this extra, which is mental, connection. It's energy to be all together, not to have different agendas in the squad."
"We are in a period where it's a bit tough for us, but we keep working to find a solution."

And then a result like last night.

I don't think this is just a team coming to the end of its cycle or poch losing his grip. This to me sounds like there has been a major bust up between players, probably groups of players, trenches have been dug and people basically have it out for each other in an overall hostile dressing room. Of the sort where I don't think a new manager is going to be able to patch things up.

Poch may end up being the one to pay the price for a squad that has to be broken up in order to move forward.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Verthongen doing a John Terry on Eriksen probably doesn't help.

freeurmind

weak willed
Add in Levy selling possibly the best right back in the league and thinking Aurier was a good replacement and just being cheap in general.

MrPooni

If you're referring to that bollocks story that's been circulating about Eriksen's wife, it's bollocks. Beyond that, the consensus I got from the Spurs supporters I've spoken to is that some players weren't happy about an unfit Kane starting in the Champions League final while the likes of Moura got benched despite dragging them there. Combine that with their relatively modest wage structure and the sheer number of players seemingly running their contracts down and you end up with a situation like this.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This summer? Back in late August, Pocchetino said:

"I cannot find excuses because the transfer window is open. It doesn't justify that performance today or the result. But we have an unsettled group for different reasons and different personal circumstances."

And a month later:

"When you have an unsettled squad always it's difficult and you lose time, then you need time to recover the time you lose. That's where we are. Maybe our performances are good but you need this extra, which is mental, connection. It's energy to be all together, not to have different agendas in the squad."
"We are in a period where it's a bit tough for us, but we keep working to find a solution."

And then a result like last night.

I don't think this is just a team coming to the end of its cycle or poch losing his grip. This to me sounds like there has been a major bust up between players, probably groups of players, trenches have been dug and people basically have it out for each other in an overall hostile dressing room. Of the sort where I don't think a new manager is going to be able to patch things up.

Poch may end up being the one to pay the price for a squad that has to be broken up in order to move forward.
Quite sure they have come out and blamed it on the PL transfer window unsettling players.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
So I am not really referring to the vertonghen-going-full-john-terry rumours. But I do think that it is quite likely that something explosive has happened in the dressing room and all this has very little to do with Pocchetino as a manager or 'end of a cycle' and such stuff. Poch certainly seems to be saying that stuff is going on and that players are working at cross purposes.

Raw

I think it's just a gradual decline in belief in the manager once they realised they're not going to be winning anything yet again. The CL final loss only made it worse. The PL form is absolutely shocking for a team that should be far more stable than it seems.

prateik

Is it? How do you know?
This is not at you Summit.. so I hope you dont take this personally.. but the "how do you know?" or the I'll believe something unless you can disprove it is one of the stupidest arguments ever.

There was a ref who quit because of personal reasons and twitter had people convinced it was because he was shagging a dog or something.

The media were all over the Giggs, Terry stories.. Even with the injunction, it was all over the news without Giggs' name.. There has been nothing here.

If there is any truth in it, it will be reported more widely. The media isnt above reporting these stories..

If its solely coming off twitter, it has zero credibility. If you want to believe it because you enjoy the drama, its on you.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I fully believe Vertonghen went full Mauro Terry and will stop at nothing until everyone else does too!

Hey, did you guys know Verronghen has been fecking his teammates wives?

Brophs

The One and Only
They’re probably just pissed off that Harry Kane has eaten all of their crayons.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
This is not at you Summit.. so I hope you dont take this personally.. but the "how do you know?" or the I'll believe something unless you can disprove it is one of the stupidest arguments ever.

There was a ref who quit because of personal reasons and twitter had people convinced it was because he was shagging a dog or something.

The media were all over the Giggs, Terry stories.. Even with the injunction, it was all over the news without Giggs' name.. There has been nothing here.

If there is any truth in it, it will be reported more widely. The media isnt above reporting these stories..

If its solely coming off twitter, it has zero credibility. If you want to believe it because you enjoy the drama, its on you.
I'm not saying I believe it at all, I've seen the reports and the rumours ect and I've wondered? My question of how do you know because the poster it was aimed at seemed to have inside knowledge. I would like to know what he knows, is that ok? There is nothing wrong in educating yourself with the truth is there? And if he knows the truth, I'd like to know. It is all rumours after all atm.

EDIT: Just done some googling on the matter. Yep it seems complete bull. Prob should of done that before asking what Balaks knows. Hey ho :lol:

Last edited:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I'm not saying I believe it at all, I've seen the reports and the rumours ect and I've wondered? My question of how do you know because the poster it was aimed at seemed to have inside knowledge. I would like to know what he knows, is that ok? There is nothing wrong in educating yourself with the truth is there? And if he knows the truth, I'd like to know. It is all rumours after all atm.
Is your tagline wrong - as a relative newbie I may be whooshing myself but shouldn't it be 'deed' ? It reads somewhat differently otherwise :)

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Is your tagline wrong - as a relative newbie I may be whooshing myself but shouldn't it be 'deed' ? It reads somewhat differently otherwise :)
Yeah it was a typo by myself many years ago and it was @Damien's attempt at humour. He fails a lot with those type of things

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Do people really still believe John Terry slept with Wayne Bridge's wife way back then?
Yes, sure he’s married to a different woman now. He was dropped from the England squad because him and Terry couldn’t coexist in the same place

meamth

Think their defensive back bone or spine is aging.

That's all.

Spurs needs to build another team from the back, and that costs a lot of money. Add to the fact they just built a new stadium.

Tough time for Spurs.

Bwuk

I do think somethings happened, irregardless of the Vertoghen and Eriksen rumours. They've been poor for a while, the Champions League run hid that.

romufc

I do think somethings happened, irregardless of the Vertoghen and Eriksen rumours. They've been poor for a while, the Champions League run hid that.
Exactly, because they are not Manutd the results have not been highlighted.

gajender

It seems Spurs squad is no longer responding to Pochettino's methods it's nothing more than that , Pochettino is just trying to distract from that by making these Statements in order to absolve himself from the blame nothing to see here.

Nick7

Most want to leave because they’ve gotten sick of Levy’s pay deals and structure I would say.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Is it? How do you know?
I've had to debunk this several times on this forum - as I've said before there are plenty of videos of all those players chatting and laughing together recently in training - not only that a journalist that has very good links to the club has debunked it on twitter and Vertonghen liked the twitter post.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Oh I agree something is clearly not right behind the scenes but this utter bollocks internet rumour is completely made up yet people are STILL posting about it as if it's fact.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Id be careful about spreading about rumours like what we are talking about, worse thing about the internet.

My take on it is Eriksen wanted to leave, didn't get his move, Levy dropped him and he has been a little scrot throughout all this. Vertonghen backed Eriksen as they are incredibly close friends and Poch then dropped him for the start of the season. This caused the split in the dressing room, then GLC got injured and had no option but to start Eriksen, not as exciting as what people think but probably more realistic.

romufc

Most want to leave because they’ve gotten sick of Levy’s pay deals and structure I would say.
And playing hard ball with agents when you want to challenge for top 4 with players just under the top bracket is easier than being hard with agents who's players know they can get into Madrid, Barca etc.

Apokalips

It sounds to me like maybe a discord between those that have faith they'll win at Spurs and some of the players possibly wanting to move on to have a better opportunity, possibly believing Spurs won't get any closer to doing so. Kind of like Van Persie at Arsenal before moving to us. Hence Alderweireld looking likely to run the contract down and Eriksen wanting to leave and Poch talking about having to refresh the squad.

Cloud7

They’re probably just pissed off that Harry Kane has eaten all of their crayons.
I think someone ate all the cheese in the cheese room to be honest.
:lol::lol:

For what it’s worth, I think this team has just come to the end of its cycle, rather than any one thing in particular having happened. I believe there are a few players that don’t want to be there anymore (eg Eriksen, Vertonghen) and some who may be considering their futures (Kane) and so they’re not as 100% committed to Poch’s ideas and everything that’s going on as they were in the past few seasons.

Could all be rubbish of course, but that’s my take on it.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Id be careful about spreading about rumours like what we are talking about, worse thing about the internet.

My take on it is Eriksen wanted to leave, didn't get his move, Levy dropped him and he has been a little scrot throughout all this. Vertonghen backed Eriksen as they are incredibly close friends and Poch then dropped him for the start of the season. This caused the split in the dressing room, then GLC got injured and had no option but to start Eriksen, not as exciting as what people think but probably more realistic.
This is how rumours start :lol: