Did the signings of Zlatan and Lukaku stall Rashford and Martial's development?

MattofManchester

Zlatan no, Lukaku maybe.

The problem was that Mourinho didn't see neither Martial nor Rashford as true no. 9s and this is something he said quite often.

In Rashford's case, he's been proven right. But he didn't play him because we had an on form Lingard (shocking)
And Martial is iffy because he had too many games where he could not be arsed, and he was subsequently dropped. But again, never as the main forward.
Tbh, I would say that the trend continued for Martial this season until the moment we signed Bruno. And for some reason, he kicked on as a player from there. Not just performance wise, but he's shown drive and the desire to impose himself on games.
Before that, I still had my doubts whether he was really up for it game in game out.

At the time, under Mourinho, and under Solskjaer early on, Martial was nowhere near up to par.

I also think Lukaku was a far better player than people give credit for, and I don't think just because of his failed time here that should automatically have him deemed an overrated player.
His goals for Everton and West Brom were so vastly different to the performances he'd put in for us, which were readily worse. His track history meant he was not at all a bad signing.
The problem seemed to be that he packed on so much weight when he joined and just continued to do so, making him clumsier and slower and it just looked really bad.
He's lost the weight in Italy and he's been doing much better.
The bigger issue with him seems his inability to improve as a player. While he is a very good striker, he has the potential to be world class, but he doesn't seem to improve his game.

My take, anyway.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Zlatan no, Lukaku maybe.

The problem was that Mourinho didn't see neither Martial nor Rashford as true no. 9s and this is something he said quite often.

In Rashford's case, he's been proven right. But he didn't play him because we had an on form Lingard (shocking)
And Martial is iffy because he had too many games where he could not be arsed, and he was subsequently dropped. But again, never as the main forward.
Tbh, I would say that the trend continued for Martial this season until the moment we signed Bruno. And for some reason, he kicked on as a player from there. Not just performance wise, but he's shown drive and the desire to impose himself on games.
Before that, I still had my doubts whether he was really up for it game in game out.

At the time, under Mourinho, and under Solskjaer early on, Martial was nowhere near up to par.

I also think Lukaku was a far better player than people give credit for, and I don't think just because of his failed time here that should automatically have him deemed an overrated player.
His goals for Everton and West Brom were so vastly different to the performances he'd put in for us, which were readily worse. His track history meant he was not at all a bad signing.
The problem seemed to be that he packed on so much weight when he joined and just continued to do so, making him clumsier and slower and it just looked really bad.
He's lost the weight in Italy and he's been doing much better.
The bigger issue with him seems his inability to improve as a player. While he is a very good striker, he has the potential to be world class, but he doesn't seem to improve his game.

My take, anyway.
His track history showed that he hardly ever scored against big teams. He was already clumsy when he was at Everton. Everton fans knew it, Belgian fans knew it and eventually we found out on the pitch that he wasn't the player to take us in the direction we need.

He does not possess the ability to be world class. He's of a good club standard, which still makes him better than most...but world class? Never

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Why the hell would Lukaku block Martial's and Rashfords progression and Zlatan doesnt?

The love for Zlatan is bizarre.

Ighalo taught our forwards as much or more than any striker that played for Mourinhos united.

Borussia Teeth

We were right to get rid of LVG but we should have then hired a manager with the intention of building a team around Rashford and Martial. Obviously not Jose. You could see in the last 3rd of the LVG season that they had good chemistry, which is why I struggle to understand why Jose didn't believe they could play together.
Ibra was an understandable (short term) signing as Jose would never rely on two youngsters for the goals. Lukaku was a huge mistake though.
I think Rashford got enough minutes for his development but Martial was wasted for likes of Lingard, Mata, Mkhitarayan and Lukaku. I think both would be better players now if we had a different manager succeeding LVG. Probably wouldn't have been smooth sailing though. I expect both would have had dips in form along the way

Untd55

Yes, Solskjaer would have got job irrespective of PSG result.
After the PSG game, the permanent contract was given rather quickly. It was announced after the Arsenal game, which we lost (only 4 days after PSG win). I would say the discussions probably started because of the PSG win. I think we would have waited until the end of the season if we lost that game, and probably would have let him go due to the poor end of the season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
After the PSG game, the permanent contract was given rather quickly. It was announced after the Arsenal game, which we lost (only 4 days after PSG win). I would say the discussions probably started because of the PSG win. I think we would have waited until the end of the season if we lost that game, and probably would have let him go due to the poor end of the season.
There was lot of talk before the PSG game. Decisions are not made on single game.